• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are better than In and Out but America being the obese country we are have lots of amazing burger options

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that there are at least a half dozen places within a 10 mile radius of most of us that have better burgers than Whataburger. Shake Shack is not too amazing, but it's miles better than Whataburger.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know all the best burger places in Austin, I can show ya around 🤤🍔

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
I haven't been to the rest of Texas, but you can definitely do better in San Antonio.

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
I ate it randomly in high school (late nights) and didn't think anything of it. It's not special. It's no 5 guys/shake shack/In-N-Out

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sweet & Spicy Bacon Burger, but sub the sauce for creamy pepper.

You'll thank me later.

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
I love Whataburger, it's still just a fast food chain though, so temper your expectations a bit. That said the biggest mistake I see a lot of people making is just grabbing the regular #1. It's fine. I'd suggest going with something from the All Time Favorites like the Honey BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich or the Sweet and Spicy Bacon Burger. The real joy is that you can pretty much customize to your liking.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
It's fast food, but fuck if it isn't the first thing I get when I land in Houston every single time. Double whataburger with cheese on Texas toast, what a size fries and a sweet tea.
I'm drooling thinking about it.

Zim

Senior Animator at Airship Syndicate
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Austin, TX
Whataburger is ok. That being said, I'll take either a Mighty Fine or P. Terry's burger any day over Whataburger.

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
As mentioned, it's okay if is close to you but not really worth a trip for, I live 2 blocks away from one and probably go once a year.

OP
OP

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Im hoping OP is not from the US and if thats the case, I can kind of understand since burgers are a big part of US cuisine but if OP is american, then shame on you. Why would you waster your time to go to a fast food chain? Im sure there are local places with better gourmet burgers.
One of the things I liked to do when I visited the United States was eat at White Castle, I really like their sliders.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
It's not worth building a trip over. It's a pretty good fast food burger but you'll be pretty disappointed if you build it up to be something more than that.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
This is a capital offense to say this, but if you're getting a fast food burger in Austin, go to P. Terry's and skip Whataburger.

Even In-N-Out is better than Whataburger (I think they're better in Texas than California but that's a whole other conversation).

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Their party melt is one of my favorite things to get on cheat day. I also love the honey butter chicken biscuit.

Oct 25, 2017
i liked it when i visited the US but five guys blew my mind best burger ive ever had lmao and ive had BURGERS

its so messy and sloppy but the taste was pure junk beefy cheesy bacony and just delicious

Mar 3, 2019
Whataburger is more like quantity over quality. When I lived in Phoenix I alternated Whataburger and INnOut. Whatabuger is huge portion sizes while INnOut has delicious burgers

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it a good but it's not bucket list good.

Whataburger's real contribution to society is the spicy ketchup, which they now sell at the supermarket (at least in Texas).

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Get the Honey Butter Chicken Biscuit and Patty Melt.
Everything else is forgettable.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
Like a lot of people have said, Whataburger is just okay. I'd put them slightly above your typical fast food fare like McDonald's/Wendy's/BK/etc. One thing I do like about them is that your order will be fresh almost every time. I don't recall a time where I got something that had been sitting out like other places.

Also as some people have said already, don't get their normal burgers, get one from the All-Time Favorites menu. My favorite is the A1 burger but it seems to come and go, but the patty melt is a close second and they always have that one. Be aware that their burgers are massive and even a medium combo will fill you up plenty. Also the fries are hella salty so ketchup or spicy ketchup is a must. Alternatively get some of the jalapeño ranch and dip your fries in that, it's game changing.

As for my personal favorites, I'd recommend hitting up Fatburger if you can find one. The last time I went was the one in I think San Antonio (this was 10+ years ago) but I dunno if it's still there anymore. I think there's one in Houston. If you find yourself in Louisiana though, I'd definitely hit up Atomic Burger in Metairie or Baton Rouge. They have some of the best burgers I've ever had.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Their speciality sandwiches are pretty good for fast food, and I personally love their malts and Dr. Pepper shake, but tbh you're really not missing much.

Ablacious

Dec 23, 2018
Get patty melt and side of gravy (35 cents). I'd suggest browsing the whataburger app as there is a ton of customizing you can do.

Oct 27, 2017
The best thing to get is the Patty Melt. It's very good.

Whataburger-Restaurants-Bring-Back-Patty-Melt-For-Limited-Time.jpg

Everything else is pretty standard, but the chicken is surprisingly good. I like the other all-time favorite burgers, too, like the Monterey Melt and Mushroom Swiss.

That being said, if you ever come to Houston go to Luling City Market for some authentic slow cooked yummy brisket and BBQ. Street tacos are also good in Texas. Well, tacos and food trucks in general in Austin, too.

l.jpg

Last edited:

Murr

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
Their mushroom swiss is the best thing on the menu but seriously, any big city you go, there are likely a half dozen places with much more memorable food at competitive prizes.

Best burger I had in Texas was a Portobello burger at a brewpub in Fredericksburg, strangely enough. Cute little touristy town worth visiting, if your route happens to take you thereabouts.

And that's not even getting into the food trucks. There's a local one here in the valley that serves some offbeat but divine octopus/shrimp tacos. I have lived in 8 different cities, each of them in Mexico or overwhelmingly Hispanic, and they still blew my mind. Please, ask around, and see what might be worth finding.

Last edited:

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
They are better than In and Out but America being the obese country we are have lots of amazing burger options
Fully wrong about In-n-out but that's not what matters here, Texas has amazing cuisine, so many barbeque and burger joints that aren't fast-food chains.

I think OP should watch some Guy Fieri videos.

edit: I'm from CA and am super jealous of the southern food I see on TV.

Last edited:

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Dream bigger, it's really not that special. I mean, I'd sooner suggest replacing it with Buc-ees!

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Imagine driving all the way to Texas to get food from a restaurant that, about 30% of the time, is going to either fuck up your order or flat out give you someone else's food.

It is delicious, though.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Whataburger is fine but it has no purpose being on a bucketlist, it's not that good.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I tried it when I lived in Texas and it didn't stand out to me. It wasn't until years later that I knew people hype the shit out of it.

I'll give it another try since they're coming to Kansas City thanks to Patrick Mahomes, but I doubt I'll feel much differently about it.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A number of us at ours have stopped eating there because of food poisoning from breakfast items. Youngest sister stopped after another location gave her food poisoning from what we presume was undercooked chicken. I guess what I'm saying is, get a burger and not a breakfast food or chicken. It is legitimately good food, if not a bit pricey.

If you wanna be "that guy" then I really like doing (by which I mean, making myself and just buying a "regular" burger so as to not have a mile long receipt)

Buns toasted both sides
Easy mustard on both buns
Creamy Pepper sauce added
Grilled Onions
Grilled Jalapeños
(When around) Smoked Cheddar cheese added, equivalent to meat amount

absolutely love it

Also, anyone ordering a Jr and removing the Tomato, Lettuce, and Onion... what's wrong with you?? That's a Justaburger Kid's Meal. Keep the onion and it's a Justaburger.

Varying by location (but every one I've gone to has let me do it), that's also one of the best tricks for value. Buy a Justaburger, ask to add lettuce and tomato. Bam, Jr for way cheaper. Can have the onion grilled, too.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
It's always horrible when the first reply isn't to say that you should be having Whataburger's honey butter chicken biscuit, not their meh burgers lol

Deleted member 11173

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I moved from Texas but I do miss my Whataburger, the best thing about whataburger is the ability to tweak your burger to perfection.

Here is my burger order..

Double Meat, Double Cheese with grilled onions, grilled fajita veggies, and spicy ketchup. I get a side of spicy ranch to dip my burger into here and there. So juicy and delicious.