• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yeah, it was ridiculous how they tried to force it after the update lol

Never closed something so fast.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Still not comparable, there's a really big difference between "any company" and "the literal company that runs the OS". And yeah, if Microsoft is replacing a forever outdated and thus prone to being insecure app with an infinitely better one then yeah I'm okay with that....just like I'm okay with Google force updating Chrome to better versions.

Microsoft definitely abuses this privilege by doing things like force installing drivers(used to be optional), uninstalling software and resetting file associations via updates. Not to mention how the whole upgrade from Windows 7 went.

And using Task Manager to close it is weak(you use that when nothing else works), there should be a simple option "No thanks, not interested", like everything else.

It's a bit making a big deal out of nothing but it reinforces my main criticism of Win10, it feels less like your PC and more like Microsoft's PC.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
So you're annoyed that one time you wasted, like, 5 seconds?
Annoyed that the os you depend on is working against you and cannot be trusted. How hard is that too understand? Under no circumstances is it ok for the os to install a bunch of apps without my explicit consent. Candy Crush, Skype, edge and a metric ton of other stuff.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Annoyed that the os you depend on is working against you and cannot be trusted. How hard is that too understand? Under no circumstances is it ok for the os to install a bunch of apps without my explicit consent. Candy Crush, Skype, edge and a metric ton of other stuff.

Right? How people are fine with literally an ad you can't close?

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
I just turned off all Windows data collection and recommendation settings on a fresh install. So I forgot this was a issue. But yeah it's wack how much power these big tech companies have to push their own products.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I use it as my work browser now and it's great. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Plus you need a browser already installed on the OS, so it's always going to be around since it's a Microsoft product. If it bothers you so much, there is always Linux, MacOS or ChromeOS.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen that popup once, when it installed the new Edge.

And I only use it for Netflix, or if some damn site only works on IE/Edge.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
You joke, but one of the reasons MS got into an anti-trust situation was, because of the way they handled their IE browser back in the 90s.

This is encroaching on those memories.

😂 Chrome dominates the browser market with 70ish%. Windows is more open then Chrome OS or Android.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the problem. Edge was is Win10 from the start. People didn't like it so they replaced it with a Chromium based version.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Oh, man this is great to know. I'm on an i5 but will be upgrading when the 3080TIs are out.
"Intel 7th gen" doesn't mean only i7's, that would be crazy. It means the 7th generation of processors. So for myself on a 4790k it is a i7, but I'm only on the 4th generation. Just letting you know that "only having an i5" isn't an issue there.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind them automatically removing the old Edge and installing Chromium Edge in its place, but yeah, to then shove it in your face and force you to look at it after the Windows update is bad.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's still the Microsoft Edge brand.

Regardless of the engine inside.

Google is currently in an anti-trust suit, but none of the legislators asked about their browser share. It's really nearsighted.

Right, I'm saying Chrome has that market share not Chromium. How is MS encroaching on anti-trust?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
People might laugh at this but it was legitimately annoying as the cash registers where I work run windows 10 and had to deal with this popup. Ive never been told to check out safari on my Mac.

yDTOQjD.jpg
That's more on company IT not having enterprise Windows so they could handle the transition without anyone noticing.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
That sounds really annoying. This new Edge is what finally got me off of Chrome though, I'm using it on both my iPhone and PC and really liking it.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Maybe it is different on a clean install, but it was two clicks to dismiss the tour installing it just now.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Right, I'm saying Chrome has that market share not Chromium. How is MS encroaching on anti-trust?
To the point in the OP about it being an intrusive experience upon first launching the new version of windows.

Other browsers don't get that preference. So it harkens back to the original anti-trust suit of IE being the only browser, the one chosen by default, the one opening links, etc.

I think the EU case was more thorough than the American one. Maybe EU versions of Windows "N" don't do this.

Souzetsu

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
California
I honestly get why they forced the update and displayed the big "Check out the NEW Microsoft Edge!" message. I've dealt with so many clients that would freak out if the update went through without them knowing and then they would freak out because "The blue E is gone, that's where I get my Internet!" And it's getting automatically installed because, at some point, they are going to stop supporting the old version.

But they should also give the option to remove Edge just like they do Internet Explorer.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I get what you're trying to say KojiKnight but Edge is literally a part of Windows. Even if you prefer to use Chrome and Firefox, Edge will be running certain aspects of how the OS displays information, and how certain apps load web pages within them.

It is not comparable to spyware or malware and your complaint about a 5 second tour popup to introduce you to a Windows update seems like an overreaction.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm annoyed because my operating system wasted my time, energy, and resources to install something I never asked it to and then forced me to have to deal with the fall out from it.... yes.
So, you waited far longer than you probably should've to update Windows 10, and you're irritated that Microsoft replaced an outdated browser with a decent one, forcing a brief tour on you in the process to introduce you to something you were probably avoiding due to the fact that the outdated version was bad? And fallout? Oh, yes, I'm sure it was really distressing to deal with force-closing an app. Edge is a solid browser now, but hey, enjoy your current approach to decision-making and continue getting irrationally upset over something small.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That sounds scummy af.

But Microsoft's MO in general with windows 10 seems to be about being as annoying as possible so yeah.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are tempting me to try Chromium Edge if it's that good... But idk if my phone would help with it, and I'm pretty deep in the Google ecosystem, so.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
What makes it even more terrible is that switching to Blink destroyed any reason to ever open it. Before it was sometimes useful for testing compatibility, but now it's just completely irrelevant. Firefox, Chrome, and Safari are the only browsers left worth testing on.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
The decision to make an unskippable tour that pops up automatically when you logon and does not allow you to exit out of it in the traditional sense (ie. pressing X to close the window) was really really poor. It's clear from some of the replies here that people cannot fathom the idea that there are many people who use a computer out of necessity only, people who are just doing the exact same steps every day to get something done. So to have something popup which you cannot close like you would a normal application - especially as people are told never to click on things if you don't know what they are - Microsoft absolutely deserve to be called out for this decision. They should have either made it so you can close the thing without having to go through the tour, or limited it so that it only pops up for people who were actually using original Edge as their default.

Edge itself is fine, as it should be when you take all the best bits of Chrome and build your own skin for it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all are tempting me to try Chromium Edge if it's that good... But idk if my phone would help with it, and I'm pretty deep in the Google ecosystem, so.
It's worth it. Edge is lighter on the system than Chrome. You can sync your stuff between the mobile and desktop versions, too.But that's a thing for pretty much every browser these days.

And of course, all of your extensions will work.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just totally confused here by how few people care. Do you guys just see new add-on bars from spyware clogging up your browser and go "Meh, this is cool I guess."? Like if ANYONE installed anything on your computer without your consent and that software then tried to take over your computer, even for a second you'd just all be cool with it?

This is a forum for tech enthusiasts, and the new Edge is something a lot of tech enthusiasts were waiting for and quickly installed because of how good it was. Add-on bars haven't been a thing for a decade. Not many are approaching this from your point of view.

Oct 25, 2017
I switched to the new Edge as soon as I got the update based on the positive feedback and never looked back. All my extensions, settings, and bookmarks transferred over in seconds and now it looks and feels identical to chrome. I'm cool with having one less extra program to install on my machine.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly gave it a shot and really liked it over chrome... Until I opened a PDF and if wouldn't show me the PDF bookmarks to access table of contents.. after a quick search to verify that I wasn't crazy I noped the fuck out.
Don't understand why they're pushing Edge as a PDF browser, it doesn't do it very well. The Win8 PDF Reader was so much slicker but of course they actively disabled it even though it's available for download still.

Also I don't know why Edge has JavaScript enabled for PDF files, seems like an unnecessary security risk.

Deleted member 40853

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I completely agree OP, and I'm surprised so few people here care. It's great that people seem to love Edge but it's ridiculous to make me go through a forced tour of your software. I don't care about Edge, just leave me alone and let me use my computer. This is why I find Windows such a chore to use, it's constantly ass blasting you with notifications and nonsense. I use Ubuntu at home and macOS at work and they are so much better at just leaving you alone.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Honestly jealous of folks with lives so free of genuine stress that they can get worked up over something like this.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
forced me to have to deal with the fall out from it
1.) LMAO acting like your comp. is a nuke or some shit
2.) ctrl+alt+delete
3.) Everyone should actually use Vivaldi. It's the best browser.
4.) Where my Vivaldi folk at?
I don't understand the problem. Edge was is Win10 from the start. People didn't like it so they replaced it with a Chromium based version.
And now Edge IS Chromium-based. Who would've thunk?
Edit* Oh, I think that's exactly what y'r saying. Nevermind!

Got up late today. Need coffee.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
the nag is awful. I had to use Task Manager to kill it, and I did not enjoy jumping through that brief hoop.

Chromium-based MS Edge is a noticeably better performer on Windows 10 than Google Chrome, and it does a really really good job carrying over *every* setting you had in Chrome. set and forget.

both of these can be true.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Both have their own stock browsers. They are enabled by default or will attempt you to convert you to said browser while working with the competitor.

It's not just merely a stock browser being preinstalled and set to default though. Edge was the default browser in Windows 10 for awhile. There's a big difference in how Microsoft is pushing the new version of Edge to the people though which isn't what the competitors do either. Whether or not Edge is good or not now, or the fact that it's installed as a default browser isn't relevant. It's how Microsoft pushed the new version on to people which is something I haven't seen done with a browser before that I can recall. I get where the OP is coming from with how a Windows update forced it in front of your face and even gave off the impression that it is now your new browser even if you already had one installed previously.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
It's not just merely a stock browser being preinstalled and set to default though. Edge was the default browser in Windows 10 for awhile. There's a big difference in how Microsoft is pushing the new version of Edge to the people though which isn't what the competitors do either. Whether or not Edge is good or not now, or the fact that it's installed as a default browser isn't relevant. It's how Microsoft pushed the new version on to people which is something I haven't seen done with a browser before that I can recall. I get where the OP is coming from with how a Windows update forced it in front of your face and even gave off the impression that it is now your new browser even if you already had one installed previously.
I suppose, but it all doesn't feel much different to me than in the past. The issue here is some people question Microsoft's ethics regarding how they handle being the most widely used OS.

Google is also using similar tactics within Windows, so it's a general struggle of the brands which I don't find very surprising.

In the end, I don't think or even suggest everyone uses Edge. I generally have three or more browsers ready to go and I switch depending on my daily task, new features, etc. I'd say what I do certainly isn't very common when looking at the mass audience.

Deleted member 279

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Chrome being a resource hog for years (is this still the case?) and Firefox on the rocks with recent announcement, I'd consider MS Edge if it had better performance, and the same features/add-ons as the other competitors.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
ok? I mean does it work better yes or no I don't care that they made me take a tour.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose, but it all doesn't feel much different to me than in the past. The issue here is some people question Microsoft's ethics regarding how they handle being the most widely used OS.

Google is also using similar tactics within Windows, so it's a general struggle of the brands which I don't find very surprising.

In the end, I don't think or even suggest everyone uses Edge. I generally have three or more browsers ready to go and I switch depending on my daily task, new features, etc. I'd say what I do certainly isn't very common when looking at the mass audience.

If Microsoft merely have a pop up dialog that says Windows has been updated, here are some new features and hey try out our rebuilt brand new edge based on chromium, this really wouldn't be much of a problem. It's the fact that when you booted into Windows, you were put through the process that you would normally go through as if you just installed a new piece of software of having to click through dialogs for a first run start up of a new app to set things up.

That process should have only happened when someone launched Edge for the first time and the fact that there was no way to not do it, or even just close it easily is where the problem really is. They were forcing you to setup and run Edge for the first time whether you wanted to or not. I really do believe Edge is probably a solid browser but Microsoft's method of how they forced people to walk through the process is something where I felt they crossed the line and went one step too far.

To sum up:

1) Preinstalled browser - Okay
2) Setting it to be a default browser on new install - Okay
3) Alerting people of a change or update after an OS update - Okay
4) Forcing people at boot up to walk through the setup process without being able to quit or close it easily - Not Okay

Status
Not open for further replies.