• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
images

Like the movie poster implied, there was not even a single country where Vita had success. Vita was a disaster, thanks to the also equivalent WiiU disaster, this didn't made to the headlines that often but I will argue that it was a bigger disaster. Selling not even 20% of its predecessor, what according to you was the biggest blunder made by sony with respect to vita

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It was and always will be the memory card being proprietary. Should have been microsd based. I think it would have sold a lot more.

As a runner up, they should have never made the 3G model. What a dumb idea.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
People will say memory cards but honestly they could've gotten away with it if the Vita had 1 or 2GB built in from the start. Leave card sales to dedicated digital purchasers.

I don't think that alone makes it an 80 million seller but it would've helped.

Also - just make more killer games. Don't lose Monster Hunter. Give it a good multiplayer FPS (say, a good COD game) earlier in the lifespan than Killzone: Mercenaries. Etc. Look at what worked on PSP but was totally absent in Vita, like portable GTA.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vita's major problem was releasing in a world where its main competitor utilized its top studio talent to release games for its platform.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
y27aop5nu9m41.jpg

And by that I mean: Marketing, I guess? Because I literally cannot remember seeing any vita games ads. Like, I remember seeing the vita, but I can't recall even a single game that I associate with it.
Is that anecdotal? Did the vita have some great stuff?

ComradeYork

Oct 27, 2017
It was my go-to device for indie games until the Switch came out.

Lovely device.

But the lack of triple A development and the asinine memory card situation is what doomed it, imo.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm not sure why the Vita didn't click with me like other handhelds including PSP. The game support was not top-notch IMO. With Nintendo handhelds, they put top talent on them and Sony did not. I can't recall a good Vita commercial so it could have been marketing too.

All in all, it was not a good system for games. The tech was amazing, but that's about it for me. I still have my OG Vita and I barely touched it.

Nov 28, 2020
User Banned (3 days): platform wars
Wow, a 3DS fanboy still butthurt about their system being wack on first release, to the point that Nintendo had to give games away for free to get people to even buy it :lol

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is hacked with a SDCard adapter. Love playing FF9 and patched FFTactics.

I'll always be amazed that the best version of Killzone was the one they made for a non-successful portable console. Mercenary was amazing.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Vita was a terrible name.

Sony has the best, most consistent, most easily understood naming conventions of all time. Only rivaled possibly by the "Super Nitendo."

Should have been called the PSP 2 from the start. The PSP was successful enough for them to build momentum with a sequel. "Vita" was nonsense - not on brand - and with such little marketing, like almost nobody knew it even existed. And if they saw it on the shelf, they had no idea what it was.

Past that - memory card pricing wasn't the issue. It was the complete lack of internal storage, demanding a card on day one to save games. Had they thrown a gig or two in there, nobody would have had huge issues... and they'd have still made money on digital-only people. It probably was a nice margin for Sony.

Also, needed more flagship titles, instead it had B-tier spin-offs that tried to be console-like but were really just watered down versions of what was on PS3/early PS4. If it would have had a real COD (with crossplay?), a SOCOM, a Monster Hunter, and its own GTA (or heck, even a watered down GTAIV), it would have done much much better.

System had like... nothing coming out after the first 12-18 months.

(I bought one Day One. Liked it a lot. Had a lot of fun. But think it could have been so much more).

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The first party support for vita is something I'll always shoot on, at least other failed outings had Nintendo and Sega going down with the ship.
Sony just bounced after the gravity rush, tearaway and killzone triple combo that foolishly had me believe they were going in, when in actuality they were already out.
Now granted this might have actually been the smart thing to do on their part but even so!

Those sneaky sneaks sold me with tearaway and then just ran away, leaving me with nothing in its future but niche as fuck jrpgs that turn your home screen into a collection of animu girl face bubbles....if you could even store them.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
In hindsight, the fact that I only ever used my Vita to play PSP games was terrible. Such a great handheld with next to nothing worth playing. No Monster Hunter was huge at the time.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
The hi res OLED screen still made it a better system to play on than the 3DS though.

DQ is my favorite JRPG series, and the 3DS remakes felt subpar to me because of the jaggies and lack of detail. I still prefer the PS2 version of DQ VIII because of the looks and presentation. If 3DS had used a high res 2D top screen like the Vita's screen, it could have been much better imo.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a point to this besides trying to stir up console warring of nearly 10 year old handhelds?

Silly Buck

Oct 28, 2017
An incredible handheld completely bottlenecked by games and its entry cost. The second the cycle hit of no users and no developers early it all went downhill unfortunately.
I loved my vita :(

Nov 28, 2020
But that didn't happen
Yes it did ?

nintendo.fandom.com

Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program

The Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program, is a program that Nintendo launched for the Nintendo 3DS. This program was made by Nintendo in recognition of players who bought the 3DS for $249.99 before the price dropped to $169.99 on August 12, 2011. In order to become an ambassador, players had to log...

Anyone arguing that a consoles price dropping almost $100 within the first 6 months of release is not "flopping" is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.