• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Street-Fighter-V-2000x1270-1-800x508.jpg
Thomas Hughes said:
The update changed the in-game audio to mono, meaning blind gamers can no longer use stereo audio to play. Street Fighter V's full range of stereo sounds enables blind players to participate in the fighting game's competitive scene.

Mono or monaural sound is designed to emanate from one source, while stereo sound produces multi-directional audible perspective. This switch to one sound source is what is causing problems for blind players.
Hopefully this is fixed soon. Read the rest of the article for more. Also, NME has reached out to Capcom for a comment, but they've received no response as of when I checked.

Source: NME

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I'm guessing that's a bug, right? I don't see why they would purposefully downgrade their audio, hopefully it gets fixed soon

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
They changed the audio from stereo to mono...completely? That sounds unintentional, and likely a bug. I hope it gets fixed.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know the game was playable for blind people. I feel like they should have marketed that more as that seems pretty rare

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Is there any rational reason for changing the audio from stereo to mono like that?

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to see how much traction I've seen this issue get, and yeah hopefully Capcom reverts the change soon.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I have to assume this is a missed bug but glad it's getting more play from bigger outlets. Also Sven is genuinely excellent at the game.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Playing Street Fighter V by ear, holy fucking shit. I would never have thought that it was possible.
Yeah, it's not even that they can play it functionally. This guy is fucking good. I could practice this game for a year and he'd still club me like a baby seal.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
That's some Luke Skywalker blows up the Death Star using the Force shit right there

So how would someone that goes by hearing only react to players that just stand still, or crouch, or slowly move? It's impressive that they can play this kind of game at all without seeing the opponent, but I don't understand how they could completely overcome certain tactics like that.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
It's so weird since they JUST gave the entire cast new audio (and visual) cues for backrises. Like they clearly had accessibility in mind when they made them, but somebody messed up bad.

Ellyshia

Oct 27, 2017
So how would someone that goes by hearing only react to players that just stand still, or crouch, or slowly move? It's impressive that they can play this kind of game at all without seeing the opponent, but I don't understand how they could completely overcome certain tactics like that.

The player in that video uses Ken who's a fireball character. You can use fireballs as a form of echolocation to get a sense of where the opponent is currently crouching/standing/slowly walking. If they block it, you know exactly where they are relative to you. If they jump to avoid it, you can kind of surmise a couple of options on where they are based on when they jumped.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Most blind people aren't totally 100% blind. Many have just super poor vision so they may see blobs onscreen but with the audio helping, be able to better track movement.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
User Banned (2 weeks): Dismissing Concerns of Accessibility Over Multiple Posts
For some reason it's kind of strange to me to see a complaint about a rather broad error like this couched only in accessibility-specific concerns.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I am now aware that blind players probably kicked my ass in SFV online...

Hope this gets fixed quickly for then!

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
How on earth can a game that supports Dolby Digital 5.1 have mono sounds now?

And besides the mono sound effects, after the recent patch the sound in SFV is all weird.
Sometimes the music gets muted on the Forgotten Waterfall stage on my PS4.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean sure, but realtively speaking who cares? We can still play the game even if theres a decline in audio quality. The change has a much bigger impact on some folks' ability to play at all.

I get where you're coming from, but sound cues are very important at higher levels of play. Yes it impacted individuals with disabilities more, but generally speaking many players care.

Like the point here is this needs to be fixed.