• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 2, 2017
They have 10 hours across 2 nights to fill, they could have Ishii and Suzuki in matches without drowning out the young talent.

Get a grip.

They're not going to run 10 hours across 2 nights. Have you seen the cards? They've got 6 main card matches on each show. Each show will probably be closer to 3 hours than 5 hours, although night 1 will be a little longer because they're doing a pre-show New Japan Rumble that night, while night 2's pre-show matches are Stardom matches that won't be aired.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I'll almost certainly get spoiled before I can actually watch it because I have to get up for work so I'm not really all that enthused but it should be lots of good matches. Hopefully the Ace can pull a good match out of O-Khan. Khan's strikes have looked absolutely abysmal at times.

Rev408

Dec 28, 2017
Hey, did njpw not put up a pick 'em site like they did last year? I wanna impress my friends.

Deleted member 5260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there is any outside shenanigans in either one of those main event matches I think it's really going to hurt wrestle kingdom and new japan. I know it won't happen but I wish before the start of the J White match the ref would throw Gedo's ass out.

On night two, we're getting the "BC manager gets thrown out" spot with either Togo or Gedo, just not sure which one.

My money is on Togo getting thrown out. Gedo is able to stick around for the main event but Kota or Naito overcome his interference.

I've read online that Japanese fans are getting tired of all the interference though, so I guess we'll see if NJPW is listening.

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
On night two, we're getting the "BC manager gets thrown out" spot with either Togo or Gedo, just not sure which one.

My money is on Togo getting thrown out. Gedo is able to stick around for the main event but Kota or Naito overcome his interference.

I've read online that Japanese fans are getting tired of all the interference though, so I guess we'll see if NJPW is listening.

Yeah, the night 2 main event is going to be a hard sell if it features the usual BC shenanigans. I really can't wait until the inevitable Jay White turn so I can enjoy his matches without waiting around for the bullshit interference to begin.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Not just Japanese fans, everyone is tired of interference in almost every match involving BC.

The card on paper is pretty weak for both nights. I would've rather had them swap the main events and have Naito v Ibushi on night 2. I renewed by sub just for the event but it's pretty hard to say that I'm excited for it. I'll catch both shows after work on Monday and Tuesday and try not to be spoiled. Truth be told, I haven't been very happy with the majority of NJPW's storytelling and decisions in 2020 so I hope they right this ship around this year. The obvious would be making Ibushi Champ, have him dropping the Intercontinental title and starting a long feud with Okada after he finishes this feud with Ospreay's geek faction.

Deleted member 5260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the biggest issue with the interference is that when you do it every single match for someone, it just makes them look like a jackass. After years of success in LIJ, Evil suddenly can't wipe his ass without Dick Togo's help. He looks like an absolute bitch.

I have to say though, I'm not as down overall on the show as some of you. Night one is definitely stronger than night two, but I have a hard time calling a show "weak" when it'll have Ospreay/Okada, Naito/Ibushi, Shingo/Cobb, and potentially two Hiromu matches. It should still be pretty good.

My only concern quality wise is that maybe they take it easy considering the attendance restrictions and "hold back" things for when crowds are fuller and louder.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017

It's strange because I think New Japan thinks to appeal to the US they have to become more like an American wrestling promotion. The funny thing is I don't think anyone wants this. I think fans in the US like New Japan for how different and unique it is compared to American promotions. I don't think their Japanese fan base wants this at all. You already have Jay White and Gedo then they straight up clone that dynamic with evil and togo and there in the same faction.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Maybe the biggest issue with the interference is that when you do it every single match for someone, it just makes them look like a jackass. After years of success in LIJ, Evil suddenly can't wipe his ass without Dick Togo's help. He looks like an absolute bitch.

I have to say though, I'm not as down overall on the show as some of you. Night one is definitely stronger than night two, but I have a hard time calling a show "weak" when it'll have Ospreay/Okada, Naito/Ibushi, Shingo/Cobb, and potentially two Hiromu matches. It should still be pretty good.

My only concern quality wise is that maybe they take it easy considering the attendance restrictions and "hold back" things for when crowds are fuller and louder.

high five, I'm invested on some level in every single match besides the JR HW tag match but even with that I hope they just let Despy run riot after his Star making
Match with Hiromu. He deserves so much more than where he currently is I hope this WK is the start of a push even if he'll always being second fiddle so long as Hiromu stays a Jr HW

And yea the Jado, Dick Togo stuff is awful. It's absolutely terrible. Gedo less so as everyone knows he's the booker top man so he should be aligned with the promotions top heel. That said, can't wait till Jay drops all that BC nonsense , he can fully stand on his own he doesn't need it at all

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like "Fans are sick of the BC interference" has been a thing for almost as long as I've been watching NJPW (6 years wow), can't imagine it stopping now lol

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017

Don't forget about KENTA vs Kojima - both guys obviously wanted the match, or NJPW would have gone with Finlay or somebody as a replacement for Juice imo. About a decade ago they were both on top of their respective promotions around the same time and they never had a chance to wrestle each other. And it's definitely Kojima's last singles match in the Dome, he's going to go all out. I think it's going to be stiff as fuck. This match is being slept on.

Deleted member 5260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's strange because I think New Japan thinks to appeal to the US they have to become more like an American wrestling promotion. The funny thing is I don't think anyone wants this. I think fans in the US like New Japan for how different and unique it is compared to American promotions. I don't think their Japanese fan base wants this at all. You already have Jay White and Gedo then they straight up clone that dynamic with evil and togo and there in the same faction.

Yeah they obviously have room to grow internationally and they should 100% try to squeeze what money they can out of expanding the market, but adapting to western "sports entertainment" crap would be the death of the company. Westerners don't want that from NJPW and the Japanese fans certainly wouldn't go for it either.

Fortunately, if interviews are to be believed, they have big voices within the company like Naito and Tanahashi pushing back on this.

Don't forget about KENTA vs Kojima - both guys obviously wanted the match, or NJPW would have gone with Finlay or somebody as a replacement for Juice imo. About a decade ago they were both on top of their respective promotions around the same time and they never had a chance to wrestle each other. And it's definitely Kojima's last singles match in the Dome, he's going to go all out. I think it's going to be stiff as fuck. This match is being slept on.

You're right I feel like quite a few matches that aren't certified bangers on paper could be show- stealers:

Kojima/Kenta for all the reasons you listed.
Evil/Sanada has a ton of potential if Togo gets tossed early.
Tanahashi/Okhan because Tanahashi is still one of the best workers in the company and Okhan needs the boost after a pretty shitty first few months.
high five, I'm invested on some level in every single match besides the JR HW tag match but even with that I hope they just let Despy run riot after his Star making
Match with Hiromu. He deserves so much more than where he currently is I hope this WK is the start of a push even if he'll always being second fiddle so long as Hiromu stays a Jr HW

And yea the Jado, Dick Togo stuff is awful. It's absolutely terrible. Gedo less so as everyone knows he's the booker top man so he should be aligned with the promotions top heel. That said, can't wait till Jay drops all that BC nonsense , he can fully stand on his own he doesn't need it at all

Despy should be the yin to Hiromu's yang. Those two should rule the division together and keep building that rivalry.

I've heard Jay was a great face during his excursion, but didn't see it for myself, so here's hoping he's as good face as he is heel.

I feel like "Fans are sick of the BC interference" has been a thing for almost as long as I've been watching NJPW (6 years wow), can't imagine it stopping now lol

There's definitely a sweet spot with it. Heels should run interference occasionally, but even a huge NJPW slappy like myself can admit they took it wayyyy too far this year with Gedo, Jado, and especially Togo.

Last edited:

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
They have 10 hours across 2 nights to fill, they could have Ishii and Suzuki in matches without drowning out the young talent.

Get a grip.

Ishii and Suzuki are both in the New Japan Rumble tonight, so both have a chance of making it to the night 2 main card.

Also conspicuous by their absence from the card are the NEVER six man titles that Goto, Ishii, and YOSHI-HASHI hold. I could see a match for tomorrow's pre-show being set up for those, especially since both of tomorrow's pre-show matches are Stardom and won't be on NJPWWORLD.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
after i heard about the final 4 thing in the rumble, i immediately thought that was an easy spot for ishii/suzuki to fill. but we'll see in a few hours lol.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest. I'm going to enjoy the fuck out of everything both of these nights. But what I really, really care about is Ibushi. I'm really hoping that this is Ibushi's Wrestle Kingdom and that he comes away with two Match of the Year candidates -- and two belts, too.

Everything outside of that, I'm just happy to see what NJPW comes up with.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Haven't watched NJPW in forever, since Evil beat Naito for the belts lmao, so this card is wild. Who the f is Great-O-Khan

Shame that Okada is facing Ospreay, should be an amazing match technically...but Ospreay...

Give me Switchblade standing tall at the end of night 2.

Great OKhan is former young lion Tomoyuki Oka, who went to RevPro on excursion and was given the gimmick as a tribute to Killer Khan, a Japanese wrestler who was very popular in the UK in the 80s. He's since returned and joined with Ospreay and Jeff Cobb to form the Empire, a new faction in NJPW.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Ishii and Suzuki are both in the New Japan Rumble tonight, so both have a chance of making it to the night 2 main card.

Also conspicuous by their absence from the card are the NEVER six man titles that Goto, Ishii, and YOSHI-HASHI hold. I could see a match for tomorrow's pre-show being set up for those, especially since both of tomorrow's pre-show matches are Stardom and won't be on NJPWWORLD.

I definitely thought we would be getting that never six man tag match somewhere. Did they release the names of the people that are in the rumble tonight?

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I definitely thought we would be getting that never six man tag match somewhere. Did they release the names of the people that are in the rumble tonight?

They've announced it'll have 22 participants. So if we go by people who aren't on the main show (including those that will be managers like Gedo, Jado, Togo, and Tenzan), and assuming they didn't fly anyone over to be on the pre-show...

Suzuki
Ishii
Goto
Yano
SHO
YOSHI-HASHI
Fale
Yujiro
Owens
DOUKI
BUSHI
Honma
Henare
Nagata
Tiger Mask

And then you have maybes like Makabe (who has been filming a movie) and the young lions Tsuji and Uemura. But even so there's plenty of room for surprises.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Even though I've been slacking on my New Japan watching lately, I've still maintained my NJPW World subscription, just to support the company.

Will be watching this after work over the next two days, so will have to avoid spoilers.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'll have to avoid the internet for a bit too. Always sucks that WK falls on the first week back at work after the holidays. This year it's actually at 8am on the first day back at work lol. Couldn't be worse timing. Will avoid and watch tomorrow night.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Tonight is probably the last time Naito holds the double belts so " Stardust" on repeat during my workout right now. ✨✨✨✨✨✨

mookie1515

Oct 25, 2017
I've had the good luck to have my non-wrestle fan friends join me in watching Wrestle Kingdom the past two years. We're obviously not doing that this year and that's put quite the damper on my hype. Still looking forward to it, but I'm going in with really low expectations that I am very hopeful they will beat.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
My view of these love birds in happier times @ the Cow Palace show from the before times

TX4c49Z.jpg

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
a shame Jericho couldn't have a match on the card, it was a good run these last 3 years. He definitely brought something different to the table with his videos, promos, videos and surprise appearances, it really made things exciting and more hype.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Soak in Tana as much as you can tonight, who knows how many WK's he has left in him. Every time he runs it hurts my knees

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Bro what is it with this promotion and telling Ishii to just fuck off come the 4th?