• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Kota and Kenny Omegas AEW dreams. I just want Naito to get a proper WK win and to be able to celebrate in ring after it.
Did Tana do anyhting of note this year? Kind of a ? match for him but maybe they have big plans for OKharn.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Lightning Count Just a small correction, you used the picture of Shingo vs Cobb twice, second one should be for SANADA vs EVIL.

Also you should use this image:

t3k152a8v4761.jpg

I was drunk when I did the night 2 part, I'll get that fixed.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Also, to give some background on the Stardom matches:

The first match features members of Queen's Quest (the faction originally founded by Io Shirai, essentially tweeners, think Stardom's version of CHAOS). Utami Hayashishita is the group leader and current World of Stardom champion, and she'll be joined by AZM (Azumi), a top young talent and the current High Speed champion (basically Stardom's Jr. heavyweight title) and former idol Saya Kamitani, who recently held the Goddess of Stardom tag titles with Utami. They will be facing some newcomers to Stardom, Himeka, Maika, and Natsupoi, all of whom have recently signed and joined the top heel group Donna del Mundo, a group of wrestlers with some tie to competing overseas or in other promotions.

The other match has larger implications, Mayu Iwatani is the leader of STARS and the company's ace and multiple-time world champion. Basically she's Stardom's Tanahashi. She'll be teaming with her Stars second-in-command Tam Nakano, who also recently won the Artist of Stardom six-woman titles. They will face the leaders of Donna del Mundo: Giulia, who is half-Italian half-Japanese, and rather controversially left competing promotion Ice Ribbon (which has earned her the nickname Giu-das), and the current Wonder of Stardom champion (Stardom's Intercontinental title), and her second in command Syuri, who recently won the SWA title (essentially, their US title) from Bea Priestley.

Worth noting that Donna del Mundo is the only group that was formed after Bushiroad bought Stardom (and is exclusively made up of wrestlers signed after the Bushiroad purchase) which is why they are being given such a shine here.

Then again, none of this matters as both matches probably won't be televised (despite both companies being owned by Bushiroad, NJPW's TV provider (TV-Asahi) and Stardom's (Tokyo MX) are competitors).

Last edited:

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
I still think night 1 should be for *just* the IC belt. Then Ibushi can win and we can finally end this double champion garbage and go back to having multiple main event level belts.

Deleted member 5260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Kota and Kenny Omegas AEW dreams. I just want Naito to get a proper WK win and to be able to celebrate in ring after it.
Did Tana do anyhting of note this year? Kind of a ? match for him but maybe they have big plans for OKharn.

He won the tag belts with Ibushi, which they immediately lost.

Not sure what his w/l record is this year but it feels like the only semi-notable win he had as a singles competitor was against Kenta in the G1.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Also, Lightning Count doesn't mention it in his OP, but here's how the New Japan RAMBO is going to work - rather than it being until the last man is standing, it will go until the last FOUR men are standing. These four then move onto night 2 and the KOPW 4-way.

Also, I hate to be THAT GUY, but I couldn't help but notice that Moxley wasn't on the stage for last night's Brodie tribute and looked like he was filming his video from a hotel room. So I think it's pretty clear that he'll be at WK.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Also, Lightning Count doesn't mention it in his OP, but here's how the New Japan RAMBO is going to work - rather than it being until the last man is standing, it will go until the last FOUR men are standing. These four then move onto night 2 and the KOPW 4-way.

Also, I hate to be THAT GUY, but I couldn't help but notice that Moxley wasn't on the stage for last night's Brodie tribute and looked like he was filming his video from a hotel room. So I think it's pretty clear that he'll be at WK.

Wife and I were talking about this last night. When New Year's Smash was supposed to be last night, Mox was billed as "appearing" on Dynamite. Now that it's moved to next week, he's billed as "appearing live" on Dynamite. They made a big deal of saying he'd be there in person. If he isn't actually in Japan right now, they are doing a hell of a job of making it seem like he is.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Wife and I were talking about this last night. When New Year's Smash was supposed to be last night, Mox was billed as "appearing" on Dynamite. Now that it's moved to next week, he's billed as "appearing live" on Dynamite. They made a big deal of saying he'd be there in person. If he isn't actually in Japan right now, they are doing a hell of a job of making it seem like he is.

Which would be insane if he's there live next week since WK night 2 is on Tuesday and Dynamite is Wednesday. I have no doubt he COULD make it due to Khan money, but that's gotta be expensive for them and exhausting for him.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Do you still need the app to be able to chromecast? I cancelled back in March, but might resub for this.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Which would be insane if he's there live next week since WK night 2 is on Tuesday and Dynamite is Wednesday. I have no doubt he COULD make it due to Khan money, but that's gotta be expensive for them and exhausting for him.

The Kenta/Kojima match is on night 1 though so maybe he's only appearing then. That would give more time for him to fly back to Jacksonville.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
The Kenta/Kojima match is on night 1 though so maybe he's only appearing then. That would give more time for him to fly back to Jacksonville.

Possible. Rather than KENTA beating Kojima on night 1 and Mox coming out and them getting the match together for night 2, they could run an angle where Kojima gets injured by KENTA and the match is a no-contest, KENTA calls out Moxley, he comes out, and they make the match right there and then. It wouldn't hurt Kojima since he's so low on the card and not nearly as big of a name anymore.

New Japan doesn't typically DO that, mind you, but I think at this point they'd rather just get the belt off of Moxley so they can use it for the US shows and then bring in Mox when the pandemic is over.

Deleted member 5260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, it seems like if everyone's going through all the trouble of bringing Moxley over, you'd advertise it and try to pick up some western NJPW World subs in the process.

It's also not unlike AEW to troll fans about NJPW stuff.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having Moxley show up unannounced for just a run in would be bizarre. Having him show up on night one to set up a match on night 2 makes a bit more sense, but it would make a lot more sense to advertise him if he's going to appear.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
My first wrestle kingdom was nine and I have watched every year since and this is easily the most lack luster one. I hope they prove me wrong but this card looks so uninteresting. I really feel like doing two nights was the wrong thing to do this year. With that said give me a Suzuki match, give me a ishii match. This card would be exciting if we got a Suzuki vs zsj or taichi match. The storyline would be simple does Suzuki still have control of Suzuki goon. Give me tanahashi vs hiromu. Zsj or taichi vs kenta. Anybody vs Ishii

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I'm expecting a pre-taped package from Moxley, to set up his eventual return down the line

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously the solution to the Ishii/Suzuki situation is to give us Suzuki vs. Ishii.

Sigh. One can dream.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Kenny and Callis have been teasing Kenny doing something with NJPW with the belt collector thing.

Obviously the history between Kenny and Kota is well documented.

Ibushi wins night 1, defends against White night 2, and then we get a video from Kenny saying he will be coming to Japan soon? AEW/NJPW partnership confirmed? Forbidden door is open boyz?

Also since Anth0ny isn't here yet, may as well show people why they should be excited for Naito vs. Ibushi:

tumblr_ot9aavJNut1s05wxzo1_400.gifv

tumblr_pcyotcj8oJ1s24yedo1_500.gif

GivingSillyCockerspaniel-max-1mb.gif

tumblr_po797bBtUb1s05wxzo1_400.gif

tumblr_pd02sd0DuT1s05wxzo1_400.gif

4a5v7ei.gif

5dee87c8b4a4c62e9395827b9f29d29fee14b3da.gifv

aJWixps.gif

ColossalPeacefulGuineafowl-max-1mb.gif

One man. Will die. IN THE RING!!!
Best timeline is Ibushi beats Naito and then Evil screwjobs Jay White and Ibushi finally gets the titles on Night 2. This means you can take New Japans biggest face Naito and have him lose to Ibushi finally but not in a way that costs him all the titles and thus not make him seem less than the new champ but more or less an equal footing rival. Ibushi gets his win but it leaves skepticism over whether he can hold his spot or not. It'd elevate him but not be a true changing of the guard allowing for equal footing around the title spread out on multiple fronts allowing for gatekeeper feuds and a revolving door of top title defense options as Evil overthrows Jay White, Bullet Club splits off so its less bloated starting a new feud there with Naito promising to gatekeeper Evil's or Jay Whites bid to reclaim the titles.

Bullet Club, Los Ingobernables, and a split off group from Bullet Club for 3 stables to roll at each other all the while with Kota putting out top tier matches as champ.

Greatest dream...it culminates with a long reign and The Collector Kenny Omega shows up with all his titles a year later to challenge Kota to start a long overdue cross partnership of companies.

Shut up and let me dream dammit.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Due to COVID I feel that they didn't want to announce Moxley before he was in the country and cleared to compete, but since there is so little time they might as well make it a surprise. A similar thing happened with the G1 this year where they waited until the last possible second to announce the competitors. If it's not Moxley then they have plenty of guys to just throw out there. Is someone going to complain about KENTA vs Ishii or Goto or Suzuki?

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Due to COVID I feel that they didn't want to announce Moxley before he was in the country and cleared to compete, but since there is so little time they might as well make it a surprise. A similar thing happened with the G1 this year where they waited until the last possible second to announce the competitors. If it's not Moxley then they have plenty of guys to just throw out there. Is someone going to complain about KENTA vs Ishii or Goto or Suzuki?
Moxley's not in Japan. Why would he go to Japan, spend 2 weeks in quarantine just to work 1-2 days, then fly back and quarantine again? Especially since his wife's pregnant?

Besides, he's still advertised to be in Dynamite next week.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
Best timeline is Ibushi beats Naito and then Evil screwjobs Jay White and Ibushi finally gets the titles on Night 2. This means you can take New Japans biggest face Naito and have him lose to Ibushi finally but not in a way that costs him all the titles and thus not make him seem less than the new champ but more or less an equal footing rival. Ibushi gets his win but it leaves skepticism over whether he can hold his spot or not. It'd elevate him but not be a true changing of the guard allowing for equal footing around the title spread out on multiple fronts allowing for gatekeeper feuds and a revolving door of top title defense options as Evil overthrows Jay White, Bullet Club splits off so its less bloated starting a new feud there with Naito promising to gatekeeper Evil's or Jay Whites bid to reclaim the titles.

Bullet Club, Los Ingobernables, and a split off group from Bullet Club for 3 stables to roll at each other all the while with Kota putting out top tier matches as champ.

Greatest dream...it culminates with a long reign and The Collector Kenny Omega shows up with all his titles a year later to challenge Kota to start a long overdue cross partnership of companies.

Shut up and let me dream dammit.

If there is any outside shenanigans in either one of those main event matches I think it's really going to hurt wrestle kingdom and new japan. I know it won't happen but I wish before the start of the J White match the ref would throw Gedo's ass out.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
If Kota dosent win the big one this time, you gotta reckon hes never going to.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Happy Wrestle Kingdom day everyone!!!!!!!

Where on gods green earth do i find it on NJPW world?

what do you mean exactly? It should just be on the front page when you open it andyou can click on live and it should take you right to the stream.

If Kota dosent win the big one this time, you gotta reckon hes never going to.

Yeah, this is why I have absolutely no real drama as far as the results of these matches go. Naito was the first ever double champion and that means so much he doesn't have to win it again, Jay White is a full decade younger than Kota his time will come.

With all the shenanigans that it took to even get the championship triple threat (if you wanna call it that) there's no way they don't give Kota his WK moment.

Okada flat out calling out how much people are tired of BC shenanigans too bodes well. Although I unfortunately think one of the most lukewarm tag teams I've ever seen (G.O.D) will best Tekkers, they need to throw a bone to BC somewhere ( as I think Ishimori, Jay and EVIL will lose).

yup, it's total horse shit and straight up poor booking/use of talent

It is of course not the same as having them in a straight up match but remember we still have that KOPW Trophy rumble night 1 and fatal four way on night 2

Nov 2, 2017

They've already announced KENTA's opponent. It was apparently going to be Juice, but he got injured, and then they ran a short thing with Kojima making a challenge for the briefcase.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Happy Wrestle Kingdom day everyone!!!!!!!

what do you mean exactly? It should just be on the front page when you open it andyou can click on live and it should take you right to the stream.
Ah ok i didn't know if i had to go through another page. Just wanted to figure it out before it started.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else hype as hell for tonight!? This is exactly what I needed to kick off 2021.

Volkoff

Oct 27, 2017
Yo-hio
Can't believe its been a full year since being on site to watch WK14 live. Unreal. Won't be able to watch night 1 live, but will watch with hopes of catching night 2 live.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Anyone else hype as hell for tonight!? This is exactly what I needed to kick off 2021.

I usually watch New Japan shows late, but I've made it a point to stay up for Wrestle Kingdom these last few years, and I'm absolutely hyped. It's the best way to start a new year.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Was there a final word on whether they were letting fans in? I know they sold the tickets but then it seemed there were further restrictions requested.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't watched NJPW in forever, since Evil beat Naito for the belts lmao, so this card is wild. Who the f is Great-O-Khan

Shame that Okada is facing Ospreay, should be an amazing match technically...but Ospreay...

Give me Switchblade standing tall at the end of night 2.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Was there a final word on whether they were letting fans in? I know they sold the tickets but then it seemed there were further restrictions requested.
They sold more than half the stadium out before having to freeze ticket sales. Tokyo recently requested Japan announce a state of emergency, which would have prevented all audience members from attending, but Japan is currently "holding off." As such, those that purchased tickets (5,000+) will still be able to attend, barring some last-second announcement by the Japanese government.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
They sold more than half the stadium out before having to freeze ticket sales. Tokyo recently requested Japan announce a state of emergency, which would have prevented all audience members from attending, but Japan is currently "holding off." As such, those that purchased tickets (5,000+) will still be able to attend, barring some last-second announcement by the Japanese government.

Cheers.

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
I just wrecked my sleeping pattern for this. I am VERY EXCITED

Re: Ishii and Suzuki not being on the card... let it go, folks. NJPW aren't going to push them for a singles match at Wrestle Kingdom. It's not how they book, people should know this by now. Just like in 2012 with Okada and Naito, we're in the early stages of the "next phase" of talent getting their long-term stories underway - it's Ibushi's time now, and Jay White's, and soon it'll be Ospreay, and SANADA if he ever gets his shit together, and Hiromu, and O-Khan... and then eventually it'll be Uemura, Umino, Tsuji, and who knows who else.

The machine keeps on rolling - even Okada and Tana were downsized this year. And one year soon we'll probably be complaining that the Rainmaker isn't getting a WK singles match. For better or worse, NJPW clearly like to make their long-term plans and then stick to them. There just isn't space for Ishii, Suzuki, Goto, and a lot of the older guys to get a prominent spotlight this year, even if they can still go.

Oct 25, 2017
It's also very possible that some of these dudes make the KOPW four way. Not the best spot on the card, but it's there

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I just wrecked my sleeping pattern for this. I am VERY EXCITED

Re: Ishii and Suzuki not being on the card... let it go, folks. NJPW aren't going to push them for a singles match at Wrestle Kingdom. It's not how they book, people should know this by now. Just like in 2012 with Okada and Naito, we're in the early stages of the "next phase" of talent getting their long-term stories underway - it's Ibushi's time now, and Jay White's, and soon it'll be Ospreay, and SANADA if he ever gets his shit together, and Hiromu, and O-Khan... and then eventually it'll be Uemura, Umino, Tsuji, and who knows who else.

The machine keeps on rolling - even Okada and Tana were downsized this year. And one year soon we'll probably be complaining that the Rainmaker isn't getting a WK singles match. For better or worse, NJPW clearly like to make their long-term plans and then stick to them. There just isn't space for Ishii, Suzuki, Goto, and a lot of the older guys to get a prominent spotlight this year, even if they can still go.
Pretty much (though Okada's just taking a break, he'll no doubt be back in the main event scene next year). If all you're interested in watching is your old 45+ year old favourites, then I've got the promotion for you: WWE. NJPW, on the other hand, has been all about building new stars.

This is my ninth Wrestle Kingdom and while I'm not as excited as previous years because of how disrupted this last year has been, it should still be an awesome show. I'm looking forward to it.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
They have 10 hours across 2 nights to fill, they could have Ishii and Suzuki in matches without drowning out the young talent.

Get a grip.