• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Besides the second stimulus not being able to be passed, this makes my blood boil even more.

www.app.com

NJ Assembly won't vote on weed decriminalization bill; Senate passes it. Here's why

The New Jersey Assembly won't vote on marijuana decriminalization, but the bill was still set for a Senate vote Monday.

Jesus christ, just pass it already! I don't even smoke and never even tried it but it is total bullshit that we can't just have fines. Ugh! I just needed to vent.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing that we make it so it's possible to just not even have a vote.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds similar to Minnesota's situation. Legal weed has overwhelming popular support but the Republicans held onto the state senate and won't allow it to come to a vote.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
We have had legal weed in Illinois now for almost a year.

Layoffs were avoid because of the extra taxes.

People are chill.

No one really cares. It is better than alcohol by a mile.

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
Sounds similar to Minnesota's situation. Legal weed has overwhelming popular support but the Republicans held onto the state senate and won't allow it to come to a vote.
Ive read the article and its not the same situation at all
I recommand everyone to do the same. the reason this wasnt approved seem to be good ones.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Ive read the article and its not the same situation at all
I recommand everyone to do the same. the reason this wasnt approved seem to be good ones.
Yeah, my bad, it does sound like the actual lawmaking may need more time in the oven. The headline did make it seem more like our situation where they just shut it out completely on ideological grounds.

EDIT: Not quite the same but I will continue to whine about my own state's politics.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Except there was a tax limit on the ballot, so they really cannot. At least based on my understanding.

edit:
I think there is a limit of state sales tax which is about 6.5% and optional 2% increase for local governments.
As in they're going to collect less than NJ sales tax?

Nvm I see your edit. My point still stands. Once Nj figures this out and it's starts rolling, New York is going to looking at all the lost tax as many of us visit our relatives in NewJersey more often.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
This is just a stop gap until it's legal right? Just makes it that people wont get hit as hatd by current laws. But it will be legal regardless if this passes or not.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

Yet another thing that Republicans will ultimately be on the wrong side of. If you told me 10 years ago that more than a dozen states, including Montana, Alaska and South Dakota, would have legalized recreational weed in 2020, I would have called you a liar.

Oct 25, 2017
As in they're going to collect less than NJ sales tax?

Nvm I see your edit. My point still stands. Once Nj figures this out and it's starts rolling, New York is going to looking at all the lost tax as many of us visit our relatives in NewJersey more often.

They wanted to exorbitantly tax it originally, which is in part why it never passed in the first place and had to be placed on the ballot. The ballot is preventing them from being greedy little shits.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is stupid, stick to weed which is what we voted for. Deal with shrooms etc later if you want. Jealous of Oregon or something? Geeze

at any rate this is just the holdover bill to stop arrests while they work out the legalization

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read an article don't know if i missed it does it say who added the thing about mushrooms?
Scutari, who is pretty much the driver of the legalization effort

Sen. Nicholas Scutari, D-Union, said he asked for mushrooms to be included in the bill, which he sponsors. He said kids who experiment with drugs should not face five-year prison terms and a lifelong felony record.

I get it, fuck the war on drugs, but don't bite off more than you can chew. It was hard enough to get the legislature to accept legalizing weed

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
He's garbage.

He's pissed he got passed over to run instead of Murphy, and he holds a serious grudge about it.

also... let's be real... Southern NJ Democrats are DINOs, and absolutely are slightly conservative Republicans.
Yep yep yep

He's legit the worst.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Hardly a surprise. The very reason for the symbolic ballot initiative was because the state legislature couldn't pass a bill to begin with.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
This will hopefully be rectified by next week.

But yeah, it was ridiculous to throw mushrooms onto this bill that had nothing to do with it.

Especially when you have such a clear majority of the legislature in favor of the measure on top of a governor willing to sign, hold ups to this are unacceptable before the end of the year.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I remember when I was a young kid in NYC in the 80's and had to walk by mushroom dealers, whispering to me as they leaned on a heavily graffiti'd wall. We cannot have this scourge hit the streets again!

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Mushrooms?

Come on...

Just legalize WEED. PERIOD.

I hate it when politicians try to add shit that wasn't voted on in referendums.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He has nothing to do with NJ.
Andrew Cuomo is the Governor of New York.

Phil Murphy is the Governor of New Jersey.
Yeah but they are talking about how New York and Cuomo specifically have been saying that Marijuana legalization is on the agenda for years at this point with no results. Now New Jersey has passed it before New York. Hence 'wake up Cuomo".

They know he's not the governor of New Jersey, lol.Y'all were jumping on that post as if it was stupid and you didn't even understand it

Last edited:

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how any state isn't going to legalize weed at this point given the dire straits of many states finances. NY is gonna vacuum up that tax revenue like a Dyson, need every cent they can get

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I mean, mushrooms should also be 100% legal in all states and treated exactly like weed.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah but they are talking about how New York and Cuomo specifically have been saying that Marijuana legalization is on the agenda for years at this point with no results. Now New Jersey has passed it before New York. Hence 'wake up Cuomo".

They know he's not the governor of New Jersey, lol.Y'all were jumping on that post as if it was stupid and you didn't even understand it
The poster made no such argument in this thread. Secondly this about NJ not speeding up the process for legalization not about NY dragging it's feet on marijuana. Cuomo has no relation to this specific topic, just because he is hampering efforts in NY is completely irrelevant to this thread.