• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH

"Cola has been the same for 125 years as a category and, yeah, there's been changes in flavor and packaging, things of that sort, but the idea of carbonation has never really come off of it because it's so identifiable with soda," Pepsi's VP of Marketing Todd Kaplan told Food & Wine. "As we started getting into this process with putting nitrogen in, Nitro Pepsi came about...It's undeniably Pepsi, but it's not soda."

source: Delish.com

How it should taste (via TheTakeout.com)

If you've ever seen a Guinness poured on nitro, or a Starbucks cold brew served that way, those finer, smoother bubbles create the cascade effect because they're insoluble in water and smaller than standard CO2 bubbles. The goal is to give a beverage a creamier body and smoother texture...

...But there's another interesting effect of using nitro gas in bubbles: it tends to reduce the perception of bitterness in beverages, which in turn makes them seem sweeter. This blog post from Bend, Oregon brewery Deschutes explains that because CO2 is acidic, it amplifies bitter sensations on our palates. Nitrogen doesn't. Nitro bubbles are also finer than CO2 bubbles, which means they do less to "scrub" flavors away from our tongue. Prickly CO2 carbonation encourages us to think beverages are refreshing, because it washes flavors away more quickly. Nitrogen's creamier sip sits on the tongue, lending a full, luscious, sweeter impression.

*updated OP w/ more flavor info*

Last edited:

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to just watching it cascade. Nitro Stouts tend to just make me feel heavy so I don't bother with them anymore. But I do miss watching them cascade.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Any questions? No? Ok cheers everyone...

E:
Velvety, cascading foam hmmm, just what I want from a can of pop.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The nitro infused beers I have tried have been awesome. I will try this.

Emmz

Oct 28, 2017
So...what's nitrogen-based fizzing supposed to do that normal carbonation doesn't?

It's used in certain beers (usually stouts) to give a smoother, creamier mouthfeel. Works well for those kinds of drinks... no idea how it will work for Pepsi. Might be good in like a cream soda or a root beer, not so much in Pepsi or like a citrus soda.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
My friend has a nitro tapper and it's amazing, every beer he's had on it tastes awesome and I get disappointed when i buy the bottled version for myself. Definitely wanna try this

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I can bet the taste still can't beat Coke Zero. There is no soda that can beat Coke Zero
For me, Coke Zero tastes like a watered down regular Coke. It tastes compromised. Pepsi Max tastes like a fully-fledged drink of it's own, not just a watered down other product. Pepsi Max is the best....closely followed by Irn Bru Xtra.

And yes, all you healthy exemplars out there, I know "all soda is the literal devil" and I should only drink water or the morning dew off fresh cut grass or some shit...screw that though.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Carbonation is my least favorite part of soda, but flat soda is obviously terrible, so this could be the breakthrough I've been waiting for.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
I'm skeptical of this - Nitro is great for coffee and darker/fruit-forward beers because of how it compliments the dense, complex flavors, but Nitro ale just tastes flat and gross

cirr

Oct 26, 2017
Northern VA
Nitro cold brew is the GOAT method to drink coffee, but I'm not too optimistic that it'll translate well to soft drinks.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'll try it once, but the only nitro thing I've ever liked is Nitro Monster from way back. All the nitro beers I've tried tasted like shit, even nitro versions of beers I like. The mouthfeel would always give it the impression of being flat.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I came in skeptical, but now I'm legitimately intrigued by this. I do like carbonated shit (or nitrogenated, I guess).

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll try it once, but the only nitro thing I've ever liked is Nitro Monster from way back. All the nitro beers I've tried tasted like shit, even nitro versions of beers I like. The mouthfeel would always give it the impression of being flat.

I like a good Nitro stout. It should taste creamy, not watery like a truly flat beer.

I don't think it works well with ales.

It's great with cold brew coffee.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
So, it makes the soda taste sweeter? Pepsi is already too sweet for my tastes, doesn't sound like this is for me.