• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Nissan Motor Co. plans to cut more than 10,000 jobs globally as part of efforts to turn around its business, company sources said Tuesday.

Nissan's group net profit hit a nine-year low in the year through March, hit by weak sales of its cars in the U.S. market, and the Japanese automaker has projected it will nearly be halved in fiscal 2019.

Nissan's planned additional job cut comes after it said in May it will reduce its global workforce by 4,800.

The additional reduction in workforce, including through early retirement options, is expected to be announced by the Yokohama-headquartered automaker on Thursday, when it releases earnings figures for the April to June period of this year.

Some factories in South America and other regions where Nissan has low profitability are likely to be subject to the reduction plan, while it may try to streamline output in Japan.

As of March this year, Nissan and its group companies had about 139,000 employees, according to its financial report.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeap, the global market is in contraction and both auto-makers and suppliers are restructuring and shifting focus to electric mobility and alternative business models.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I've been seeing much in the way of new Nissan's on the streets, at least in the Bay Area. I feel like they've lost their niche a bit, I mean what's even the defining characteristic of the brand right now?

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Can't say I've been seeing much in the way of new Nissan's on the streets, at least in the Bay Area. I feel like they've lost their niche a bit, I mean what's even the defining characteristic of the brand right now?

They had a little sliver of the reliable Japanese brand mindshare for a while, with a host of unremarkable vehicles for old people and a progressively dated Z for a small handful of people that still had nostalgia for that, as well as the out-of-reach GTR. Since then I've heard reliability has kind of gone downhill and they've done nothing to make their lineup interesting. I'm sure there are still Nissans on the road - and some new ones, too - but I don't think anyone would notice them.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Nissan confirms 12,500 jobs to go worldwide amid fears for Sunderland plant

The Japanese car giant says it will also cut its product lineup by 10% by the end of the financial year in 2022 "to improve product competitiveness."

The move will spark fears for the future of workers at its Sunderland plant, as the company had only previously suggested 4,800 roles would go. Speculation on Wednesday had put the figure at 10,000.

The carmaker said its operating profit was down 98.5% in the year to 30 June, with sales down 12.7% and its net income down 94.5%.

Any job losses in Sunderland would come as a huge blow to the city in northeast England, where it is a major local employer.

The Nissan plant employs around 6,700 people, supports an estimated 27,000 more in its supply chain largely across the north-east.

But it has faced significan uncertainty over its very survival amid Brexit concerns and the carmaker's decision not to build its new X-Trail SUV in the north-east.

The UK car industry is already bracing itself for hugely damaging disruption from a no-deal Brexit, with concerns new checks, delays and tariffs could devastate 'just-in-time' supply chains.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They try to make their cars look more edgy, but to me they just look obnoxious.
Couple that qith transmission issues, I'm not surprised.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
They try to make their cars look more edgy, but to me they just look obnoxious.
Couple that qith transmission issues, I'm not surprised.
it seems to be a Japanese thing. Every maker here is going for the MBay transformers look with lots of sharp chamfered edges and angry faces. They look like the dream car of an adult with the brain of a five year old boy. To be fair most automakers seem to be into that aesthetic to varying degrees. Modern BMW are so incredibly ugly especially compared to their pre 2000 stuff that I cry inside a little bit every time I see one out on the roads. Audi looks better but still I preferred their old happy face. I find that whole aesthetic to be embarrassing. But japan is by far the most obnoxious and I don't get it. Honda ev looks dope though so maybe there is hope.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it seems to be a Japanese thing. Every maker here is going for the MBay transformers look with lots of sharp chamfered edges and angry faces. They look like the dream car of an adult with the brain of a five year old boy. To be fair most automakers seem to be into that aesthetic to varying degrees. Modern BMW are so incredibly ugly especially compared to their pre 2000 stuff that I cry inside a little bit every time I see one out on the roads. Audi looks better but still I preferred their old happy face. I find that whole aesthetic to be embarrassing. But japan is by far the most obnoxious and I don't get it. Honda ev looks dope though so maybe there is hope.

Good point. My dad owned a 87 Corolla, a 93 Camry, a 2000 Camry, a 2005 Camry.

You know what he just bought last winter?
A buick.

The Camry has been the quitessential family sedan. And now it looks like something out of Blade Runner

Oct 27, 2017
Current Nissan makes me so sad. My first car in high school was an original SE-R that was rock solid until it got sideswiped by an SUV and totaled in 2014.

My wife has also been a big Nissan fan. She just wants something reliable, reasonably priced and good on gas. Had a hand me down 96 Sentra as her first car which has been passed around our family since. Still going at 500k+ miles. Second car was an 06 we still have as a second vehicle with about 260k+. After shopping around this year she wanted to look at Nissans again. Their lineup just feels old, overpriced and felt outdated compared to their competition. Their "exciting" cars (Z & GT-R) are badly in need of refreshes. After driving several other brands she ended up in a 2019 Sonata.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Their biggest problem in my opinion is the interiors, they always look like they are 5 years behind the trends.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nissan cars look so freakin bad right now. I'm not even kidding when I say I'd take a Civic over a Maxima.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
My wife bought her first car when she was 16, '85 Sentra. We drove that until '00. No power anything in that sucker lol.

Gaz

Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is what happens when they refuse to update the Z and price the GT-R into oblivion. Nissan have fallen off the wagon.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Last year I was looking to buy a truck and nearly fell over when I realized Nissan is still selling the same frontier from 2004!!! They haven't redesigned it at all after all these years!

Last edited:

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
That's a real shame :/

I really liked what they did with the Altima, actually have been seeing a lot of them on the road lately.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This is what happens when they refuse to update the Z and price the GT-R into oblivion. Nissan have fallen off the wagon.
Pretty much. And as a truck owner I'm absolutely stunned, just stunned the Nissan Frontier is the exact same model today as it was in 2005. Almost 15 years.

navanman

Oct 27, 2017
Dublin
Don't know about their US lineup but there no 1 seller in EU, the Qashqai is under more sales pressure than ever from Peugeot, Hyundai and VAG group.
Their lineup outside of Qashqai is tiny with only X-Trail and Micra along with small numbers of EV Leafs.

There has been friction with their Renault alliance looking to blame them for their own issues and the alleged witch hunt against Ghosn.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Don't know about their US lineup but there no 1 seller in EU, the Qashqai is under more sales pressure than ever from Peugeot, Hyundai and VAG group.
Their lineup outside of Qashqai is tiny with only X-Trail and Micra along with small numbers of EV Leafs.

There has been friction with their Renault alliance looking to blame them for their own issues and the alleged witch hunt against Ghosn.

Don't forget the Note. Fuck me I got one as a hire car and it was like driving a wardrobe, a small car which handled like a tank

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Their biggest problem in my opinion is the interiors, they always look like they are 5 years behind the trends.
2019 Nissan Altima:
01-altima-interiors-img-int-sv-gray-cloth-01.jpg

2019 Honda Accord:
2019-honda-accord-front-interior-B_o.jpg

Now, Nissan has an old lineup, for sure. I'd argue their infotainment system isn't the best. But I wouldn't say their recent designs are outdated compared to the competition. (Infiniti - yes for sure though)

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Sat in a Nissan Altima rental for a week with leather and that thing felt very cheap and uninspired. Felt less substantial than my 17' Ford Fusion, and that says a lot.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
They need to update the Frontier, the Z and the GTR, but I don't trust them to get those first two right. I all but guarantee that if they announced a new Z today, it would be a small crossover with a CVT or some shit. I'm a lifelong Nissan fan, but they've been stagnant for so long.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Good point. My dad owned a 87 Corolla, a 93 Camry, a 2000 Camry, a 2005 Camry.

You know what he just bought last winter?
A buick.

The Camry has been the quitessential family sedan. And now it looks like something out of Blade Runner

I bought a Camry (my first Toyota actually) recently. I have no idea who those fake vents in the rear are supposed to appeal to. I guess it helps me recognize my car so there's that.