• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Damn, Durante didn't just fix up Ys VIII's issues and finally fixed the mouse controls and key bindings, but he's adding an experimental local coop for the game. That's pretty impressive.

Oct 26, 2017
They're hosting a unboxing/gameplay stream next week for the Switch version of ToCSIII, so it's very possible they're just saving it for there.
An unboxing for an undated game? No way a Direct isn't happening IMO then. I've been fully expecting the date to be in the next Direct and Nintendo won't do a regular Direct during financials week (the week after).

Hell the Direct may be at 5/6PM ET, and their streams are at 8PM ET. Would time perfectly.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An unboxing for an undated game? No way a Direct isn't happening IMO then. I've been fully expecting the date to be in the next Direct and Nintendo won't do a regular Direct during financials week (the week after).

Hell the Direct may be at 5/6PM ET, and their streams are at 8PM ET. Would time perfectly.
Or this game wouldn't be there anyway

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Super disappointed, was hoping for some megatons. PC patches and ports seems like something that would be relegated to an off the cuff announcement if anything. Between this and the Direct, it's been so much hype for nothing.

Oct 25, 2017

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Cold Steel 4 announcement was never likely going to happen before the release of CS3 on Switch (and now PC).

Once those games are out we may hear about it. I'll be beyond surprised if it make 2020 though.

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
Sorry for the lack of ultra megaton (I thought the Ys VIII coop announcement was insane myself), but it is still super early in the year and we are just getting started with announcements and new titles. If we did too much too early it wouldn't give breathing room to our many, many other titles. Plus, in the end I really just wanted to give a talk about publisher-side porting. :D

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the lack of ultra megaton (I thought the Ys VIII coop announcement was insane myself), but it is still super early in the year and we are just getting started with announcements and new titles. If we did too much too early it wouldn't give breathing room to our many, many other titles. Plus, in the end I really just wanted to give a talk about publisher-side porting. :D
You know, as someone who's complained a lot about the crushing disappointment of certain releases, I think you guys did a bang-up job there. I really appreciate how you try to make it right, climb that hill back and instill confidence in such a very dedicated fan base.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017

Trails of Cold Steel 3 for PC was my megaton. Ever since modern Kiseki has made it to PC, I've greatly preferred playing them there. I can finally play the game now after all this waiting! Thanks for contributing~

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for Disgaea 2, 3, and D2 ports for PS4! That way I can have the entire series on PS4/5

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
You know, as someone who's complained a lot about the crushing disappointment of certain releases, I think you guys did a bang-up job there. I really appreciate how you try to make it right, climb that hill back and instill confidence in such a very dedicated fan base.

Thank you! Of course, hold our feet to the fire when we mess up, but I have to say internally we are pretty much unidentifiable to our team and process from 3 years ago and hopefully still improving. A big part of doing this panel was hopefully highlighting how we've improved and where we would like to go here. It sets a very high mark for our future ports but I'd rather chase ambition than accept comfort.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks, but please don't let us wait too long.
CS3 ending was brutal, don't keep us suffering

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Cool that cold steel 3 is coming and nice to hear ys viii improvements (other than mp which I don't care for)

Still wish Disgaea 4 Complete was announced ;(

(Or 3, D2 and infinite)

Oct 26, 2017
Is Engine Software also involved with the PC port of Cold Steel 3, or are they solely working on the Switch version only? Thanks! :)

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Is Engine Software also involved with the PC port of Cold Steel 3, or are they solely working on the Switch version only? Thanks! :)
Durante said they're all working from a common code-base this time. So even though they may not actually be handling any PC-specific code, all the work that gets done is being synced by both teams.

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm... I may have to return to this. I'm not handling business relations for the title and a little unsure of what I can disclose while travelling. Apologies for the caution.
Oh no worries! Better to be cautious than let slip a detail you weren't allowed to! :) Let me know when you can. I'm just hoping honestly that Engine can squarely focus on the Switch version. It'd allow them to focus and optimize it more than if they had to split their focus between more than one version. Feral Interactive said as such for them not long ago:

Given Feral's history of quality port work on other platforms, it's unsurprising that the end results on Nintendo's console have been impressive. While there are benefits to working on a specific device, each one has its specific drawbacks, too. "Having a single piece of hardware to target simplifies the development and QA tasks, all other things being equal," Smith explains.
Durante said they're all working from a common code-base this time. So even though they may not actually be handling any PC-specific code, all the work that gets done is being synced by both teams.
Wait a minute. Are you saying that Durante and Engine are essentially sharing code, but doing their own ports?

Example, while Durante is doing the PC port, and Engine is doing the Switch port, they're sharing code and may actually benefit each other's versions? Meaning anything Durante might cook up will end up on Switch essentially? Huh, that could be a win-win scenario! :O

Erpy

May 31, 2018

As someone who's been very skeptical of NISA's capacity to handle Falcom's IP after the Ys VIII debacle, I'll second Palette Swap's statement that you guys deserve kudos for letting Durante handle the CSIII port and letting him deal with the lingering issues the Ys VIII port still had. (I was particularly pleased to hear the key bindings and mouselook finally work like they should, they really hampered my first playthrough of the game)

The only questions I have remaining is if the Ys VIII update is also available on GOG right now and if there are any plans to fix the Silent Rean syndrome CSIII was subject to, similarly to how XSeed adressed the issue in Cold Steel I and II.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Cheers, keep up the good work. Patiently awaiting Utawarerumono and RPG Maker dates~

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
I wouldn't count it out, even if CS4 releases this year it's going to be very late in the year. Plenty of time for an announcement.

I agree. They might start a pattern with bringing console version of Trails games during Summer or Fall and then come up with the PC port in the following Spring. Gives them time to get the PC port ready and gets me and others to do potential double dipping :P

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

I was in the audience and really enjoyed the talk! I thought it was very insightful. Great job!

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Cold Steel 4 announcement was never likely going to happen before the release of CS3 on Switch (and now PC).

Once those games are out we may hear about it. I'll be beyond surprised if it make 2020 though.

Why would you be surprised if CS4 makes 2020? It came out in 2018 in Japan. They would have had plenty of time to start working on 4. I sincerely doubt NISA signed onto this series with just 3 and waiting to see if that sold well to greenlight 4. CS4 definitely is coming this year.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Disgaea 4 PC port will be nice.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you be surprised if CS4 makes 2020? It came out in 2018 in Japan. They would have had plenty of time to start working on 4. I sincerely doubt NISA signed onto this series with just 3 and waiting to see if that sold well to greenlight 4. CS4 definitely is coming this year.

I'm thinking Ys IX first, but could be wrong. I figure IX take less time and they only recently finished up CS3.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So nothing on cs4? And cs3 switch release date?
Is pax over?

NISA usually hosts a Press Event in February/March with new localization announcements so CS4 might get announced there.

CS3 PC was a megaton for me lol. Thanks guys!