• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Expel

Oct 25, 2017
Speculation: it might be related to the fact that Sony is localising both Cold Steel 3 and 4 into Korean (and possibly Traditional Chinese as well). I wouldn't be surprised if they attached an exclusivity clause to that deal.
Well sony also did that with PS3 n Vita version of cold steel 1 and 2, but it did get ported to PC by Xseed later on
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/27/sony-localizing-legend-heroes-trails-flash-series-chinese/
I'm not gonna deny by saying such deal couldn't be possible. It's probably one of the reason why Falcom keeps releasing games on sony's platform by their in-house development team and leave porting to other companies. Sony Japan Asia branch helps them localizing their games to big Asia markets where their games sold the most.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't read too much into this. A project manager tends to have their hands in a lot of the different processes on a game (I was one for dev projects in college.) Producer is a smaller role, but the producer is the team's direct line to corporate, the person that makes sure they have the resources they need. So if CS3 is in need of something, Hatsuu is the one to argue for it and obviously her resume backs her up in doing so.

And she's helping with editing. Honestly, I'd be surprised if there's any major gaffes with this. Even if the script is a salvage op, they've got three people that very much do know what they're doing.
I don't see how "I'm not doing that much" should be read as anything other than "I'm not doing that much". This seems like a lot of wishful thinking.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I think we can probably take her word for it.
I don't see how "I'm not doing that much" should be read as anything other than "I'm not doing that much". This seems like a lot of wishful thinking.
Something doesn't add up.
How can someone who is hired as a freelancer and has a small role, be featured as a key member in a developer panel?

NISA are the ones crediting her as "Localization Producer". /shrug

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
DxNjQhmUYAApAUz.jpg

This one is probably misleading:
Trails in the Sky FC PC 1,145,857 (+100,040)
Trails in the Sky SC PC 1,344,565 (+208,712)
Trails in the Sky The 3rd PC 547,750 (+345,526)
Zero no Kiseki PSP 1,337,103 (+138,124)
Ao no Kiseki PSP 1,546,533 (+216,008)
Trails of Cold Steel PS3 1,373,882 (+279,373)
Trails of Cold Steel II PS3 1,186,534 (+363,003)
Trails of Cold Steel III PS4 1,636,538 (+416,946)

Data we have is about japanese characters.

Roughly you divide that number by 2.2, and obtain english words. (but maybe they add up all text outside of dialogue and story as well)

This means CS3 has about 750k words.

Our counts come from a total character count. This includes menu, item, backend, etc.

Magic Kaito

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Knowing all too well just how meticulous the first 2 Cold Steel games are with its world building, and how CS3 is supposedly even more text-heavy, there is a lot that can go wrong if not managed properly. Large portions of the base translation being weak, or the deadlines being such that the main scenario dialogue had to be prioritized at the expensive of all the optional dialogue, are possibilities that I can comfortably rule out when it comes to XSEED, but not with NISA.

They're off to a good start though, with a fantastic PR move that has people preemptively excited about CS3. Hurray for confirmation of Hatsuu and Becky staying Scottish. If there's confirmation of the remaining VAs reprising their roles down the line, I can at least tell myself that the dubbed scenes will be exceptional. Sean aside, Carrie Keranen and Cassandra Lee Morris were perfect as Sara and Fie, and I can always use more of Megan Taylor Harvey's Towa in my life.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
How can someone who is hired as a freelancer and has a small role, be featured as a key member in a developer panel?
They're doing it for PR (because fans rightly mistrust that NISA will be able to do any justice to the game), not because these people have fundamental roles to the localization.

They've been at it for nearly a year, and these people have apparently only been retained within the last couple months to try to paper over the colossal mistakes NISA has no doubt made.

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
They're doing it for PR (because fans rightly mistrust that NISA will be able to do any justice to the game), not because these people have fundamental roles to the localization.

I'm a little more optimistic than that about it, but this is more or less my take.

BUT I think this opens the door for them to collaborate in a larger capacity for CS4 if things go well

They've been at it for nearly a year, and these people have apparently only been retained within the last couple months to try to paper over the colossal mistakes NISA has no doubt made.

I think in Hatsuu's case, she was brought on recently as she only became a freelancer recently. We don't know how long the other two have been involved

This is 1000% speculation but I don't think she left xseed for this, so much as she left xseed and then was able to do this

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
Sure I guess. I don't want to pry too deep into the circumstances.

I just see some people painting it as being planned/calculated on both ends and I don't think that's the case at all.

Seems like it was just "good timing" for her to become available and NISA made a role for her on an underway project because she's worth it and deserves it

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
This is 1000% speculation but I don't think she left xseed for this, so much as she left xseed and then was able to do this

In response to someone saying she left Xseed to work on Cold Steel 3, she tweeted, "oh lord no i was let go." Edit: My assumption is that Xseed had less need for her after they lost Cold Steel 3 to NISA, hence her dismissal, and that the sudden opportunity to work on Cold Steel 3 was the silver lining in this situation for her.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Still wonder why she was fired but eh :/

Still, I have faith in all 3 of these guys. Ryan's tweets I posted earlier paints a picture of someone that is making sure things are consistent at the very least and Kris is editing.

These guys know what they are doing and will likely make sure that the product is up to par for long time fans (technically, we'll see. No idea how it's being done. I believe XSEED did the loc stuff but the programming side was done by Falcom so if it's the same then technically it should be the same as any previous Trails game I think.)

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I think what we have is probably the best we could've hoped for from the fuck ups who run NISA. If they have to have it (and who knows why any one would bid on the 3rd/8th installment of a long running series, 2 games of which aren't available in English, and the other 5 are owned by their competitor, and all of which are required playing to understand what's going on in cs3 and 4), then this is the best we could hope for. So congrats, NISA. You've managed to ruin your reputation so completely that even this, which would be treated with wild excitement if it was announced by any other company, only gets you guarded optimism.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'm cautiously optimistic at this point (unusual for me) but:

Contracting three freelancers for upwards of 6 months is pretty expensive if it's mostly just for PR.

NISA's management probably recognizes screwing this up will have a greater impact on their business relationship with Falcom than Ys did. Ys games share a world and lore, but they don't have interconnected stories like Trails. Not only is Trails Falcom's primary franchise now, but messing up an entry like they did with Ys is more likely to damage sales of future entries.

Just seems like it would take a special kind of bad management to commit what they have, only to let it go awry through negligence and cutting corners.

Last edited:

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not too worried about a PC version coming eventually. When it does come it needs all the time to be right after the ys8 disaster.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
NISA's management probably recognizes screwing this up will have a greater impact on their business relationship with Falcom than Ys did. Ys games share a world and lore, but they don't have interconnected stories like Trails. Not only is Trails Falcom's primary franchise now, but messing up an entry like they did with Ys is more likely to damage sales of future entries.
I think you overestimate how much NISA, Falcom, and most of the people who will buy the game care.

If Falcom cared, they would have just given it to XSEED rather than selling it off to the highest bidder. If NISA cared, they would have brought on people who had experience with the series before spending a year on the translation. And if people cared, NISA wouldn't even be in business anymore.

Not too worried about a PC version coming eventually. When it does come it needs all the time to be right after the ys8 disaster.
It just needs Durante and 5-6 months (slightly longer than usual, assuming he can't reuse the code from CS and CS2 anymore).

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'm cautiously optimistic at this point (unusual for me) but:

Contracting three freelancers for upwards of 6 months is pretty expensive if it's mostly just for PR.

Just seems like it would take a special kind of bad management to commit what they have, only to let it go awry through negligence and cutting corners.
I think you're overestimating how much NISA or Falcon care. Falcom's never cared much about the series around here.
The fact NISA was even considered after the YSVIII fiasco it's telling. I mean, I can't think of a single single game NISA hasn't botched.
Hiring those 3 gives some hope, but it looks more like a PR move than anything.

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's really dumb to say no one involved in this cares considering the amount of work that goes in to bringing a Kiseki game out in english vs the potential profit.

I mean I get you guys are jaded as hell but it's getting to the point where you aren't even thinking about the bullshit you're saying as a matter of fact. lol

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I think you're overestimating how much NISA or Falcon care. Falcom's never cared much about the series around here.
The fact NISA was even considered after the YSVIII fiasco it's telling. I mean, I can't think of a single single game NISA hasn't botched.

Contrary to popular belief, NISA have had some solid releases. Demon Gaze and Labyrinth of Refrain come to mind.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

If anything I'm overestimating how much the fanbase cares. If sales of CS4 or Calvard suffer because NISA is botching the writing Falcom will absolutely care.

I guess generally people don't really care anything about the quality of localization, Brittany complained about as much a while back. Guess we might find out where that line is with Trails. Are the "Zero's fan tl is just as good as XSEED's releases" people the minority, or the majority?

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Money.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's really dumb to say no one involved in this cares considering the amount of work that goes in to bringing a Kiseki game out in english vs the potential profit.

I mean I get you guys are jaded as hell but it's getting to the point where you aren't even thinking about the bullshit you're saying as a matter of fact. lol

Yep. I think that the people involved took the jobs when offered says a lot about they plan to put in. These people are fans the same as anyone here.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the idea that NISA truly doesn't give a shit yet hires three key localizers to work on the project has to be the most cyncial shit I've read all day. And I know you're not the only one saying it. These games have incredibly niche fanbases. English speakers are going to buy this game no matter what because it will be the only option available to them, whether the translation "sucks" or shines. If NISA really don't give a fuck would they even know these peoples names and they definitely wouldn't bother to hire them just for publicity while stuffing them in a janitors closet.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I know it's money. And falcom's and NIS' presidents being friends. But NISA doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.
I would gladly eat a Crow (pun not intended) if the localisation turns out well, but I'm pretty sure in a few months we all will be posting in a thread about big Erebonian holes

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
NISA caring about the project or not is a pointless inquiry, it doesn't really mean anything. The effort isn't the problem, it's that the developers working at NISA suck at their jobs.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
In the end it will all depend on whether NISA's middle and upper management are willing to give the veterans on the team the time to refine the whole thing. I recall hearing that the translator and editor played and "researched" at least the other two Cold Steel games, but if they weren't overly familiar with all 7 other games, it's still likely quite a few references and stuff were missed. And that's not even getting to the main issue: the majority of Cold Steel III's script was translated before Cold Steel IV was even available. That alone would require the mother of all editing runs just to weed out all the missed foreshadowing, even if XSeed had been working on it.

So yeah, cautious optimism but Ryan and Kris better get a good amount of space and time to finetune this baby.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017

From everything I've seen and heard, I feel like NISA's problem's stem from management. So no matter how many die hard fans or previous translators for the series they pull in, the potential for them fucking it up is still there. Not only that, but I feel that if they really cared they would have brought these people in from the start instead of seemingly a year after they started. All of this comes off as a PR stunt to me, bringing them in around the announcement to soothe the anger they knew they'd get from months of people freaking out on their Twitter at even the slightest reference to the series. To their credit though it seems to be working, because now people who have memory of a game they put out barely a year ago having a translation so bad that they themselves decided to redo it, are being called "jaded" for having a realistic outlook rather than blind optimism.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
From everything I've seen and heard, I feel like NISA's problem's stem from management. So no matter how many die hard fans or previous translators for the series they pull in, the potential for them fucking it up is still there. Not only that, but I feel that if they really cared they would have brought these people in from the start instead of seemingly a year after they started. All of this comes off as a PR stunt to me, bringing them in around the announcement to soothe the anger they knew they'd get from months of people freaking out on their Twitter at even the slightest reference to the series. To their credit though it seems to be working, because now people who have memory of a game they put out barely a year ago having a translation so bad that they themselves decided to redo it, are being called "jaded" for having a realistic outlook rather than blind optimism.

I haven't seen anyone say that reasonable concerns is being jaded.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Contrary to popular belief, NISA have had some solid releases. Demon Gaze and Labyrinth of Refrain come to mind.
On PC? Demon Gaze was alright in general on Vita but you can't compare the amount of localization required or the quality to Xseed's work on Trails games.

Personally I think the translation will be somewhat serviceable but it great and PC port will be extremely late and unless they hire Durante (or go with a competent outside studio that would be even more expensive), it will still be mediocre.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017

Let's be honest. Flipping out about it achieves nothing anyway. XSEED lost the bidding war, this is NISA's game now. Either deal with it and buy the game or don't. They are doing some things to soften the blow and I appreciate that. Whether or not it will pan out is all up to the final product. I'm willing to give it a shot. There's no other choice anyway if you want to play the next game in the series.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They can always hire an external team to handle porting. Tokyo Xanadu eX+ was ported by Ghostlight because Aksys didn't know how to do a PC port, maybe NISA'll outsource as well.
I have my doubts that NISJ would let them outsource, tbh.
Ys 8 PC was already outsourced. Also Tokyo Xanadu PC wasn't exactly a flawless port itself, it also had some minor issues (crashing, imaging/output) that never seem to get brought up in these discussions on Falcom ports.

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen anyone say that reasonable concerns is being jaded.

Yeah. It's one thing to be reasonably concerned based on past releases.

It's another to come in here and harass the NISA rep feeding us info because of it and just be here to spin any news in the worst possible light and talk shit about the people involved no matter what they do.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018

Well, this view comes across as a bit jaded. It should perhaps be noted, though, that there isn't much separating realism from cynicism and being jaded, so being called jaded is a natural risk one takes when being realistic. Anyway, I wouldn't say it's that accurate to describe the optimism here as blind, considering how many people have stated they are "cautiously" optimistic and are hopeful the game will turn out well even if they still expect the worst. I mainly think it's best to consider both the positives and negatives here. While there is a publicity aspect to the hiring of these veterans, there isn't much reason to think that they won't improve the translation and help make Cold Steel 3 turn out better than the Ys 8 debacle. People like Brittany have some positive history to help cancel out NISA's poor track record, although, yeah, that bad track record shouldn't be forgotten (and these veterans do not have as much influence on Cold Steel 3 as they did in previous releases, another cause for concern). In response to the idea that NISA should've brought these people on board sooner, I'm not really sure how that would have been possible. In Brittany's case, she was still employed at Xseed a year ago when NISA got the rights to Cold Steel 3 and only got the chance to work on this project after Xseed let her go.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Having Brittany over dubbing is a good thing here, since she will probably fix the glaring mistakes on the fly.

Her being involved at all is a good sign, she is ridiculously passionate.

Also wonder if she will be able to push for the extra voice acting like CS1 and 2.

She works MAGIC.

S1pFuGE.jpg

So you could say the recent news gives me cautious hope. Now to let them work...

Oh hallelujah thanks!!! I am buying 2 on steam tonight then. That Durante job is just too good to pass up for me :)

Enjoy.

It's legit good and has FREEDOM which is kinda rare for Trails.

Magic Kaito

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
If anything I'm overestimating how much the fanbase cares. If sales of CS4 or Calvard suffer because NISA is botching the writing Falcom will absolutely care.

I guess generally people don't really care anything about the quality of localization, Brittany complained about as much a while back. Guess we might find out where that line is with Trails. Are the "Zero's fan tl is just as good as XSEED's releases" people the minority, or the majority?
I always thought it was more along the lines of "Zero's fan tl is decent considering it isn't a professional product"

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest. Flipping out about it achieves nothing anyway. XSEED lost the bidding war, this is NISA's game now. Either deal with it and buy the game or don't. They are doing some things to soften the blow and I appreciate that. Whether or not it will pan out is all up to the final product. I'm willing to give it a shot. There's no other choice anyway if you want to play the next game in the series.
This right here is the right attitude to have.

Also I think I should add that even if XSEED had gotten the game there's nothing to say for sure that without Hatsuu and others who no longer work there that did previously that they would have done a better job then NISA+Hatsuu and others. XSEED seems to be floundering in a lot of ways right now I'm not sure they'd be able to do the kind of quality translation fans would expect from them with this.

In either case though I think NISA is trying to smooth this over as best they can, they could have just said fuck everything and No English Va, call it Trail in the Flash, don't give a shit about getting anyone who worked on it previously, ect. but they haven't. I don't expect a perfect translation by any means but I think were in a far better place with this then we could have been otherwise. If the final product is shit then yes rage at NISA but until we see it I think theres reason to at least remain somewhat optimistic.

Magic Kaito

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
This right here is the right attitude to have.

Also I think I should add that even if XSEED had gotten the game there's nothing to say for sure that without Hatsuu and others who no longer work there that did previously that they would have done a better job then NISA+Hatsuu and others. XSEED seems to be floundering in a lot of ways right now I'm not sure they'd be able to do the kind of quality translation fans would expect from them with this.

In either case though I think NISA is trying to smooth this over as best they can, they could have just said fuck everything and No English Va, call it Trail in the Flash, don't give a shit about getting anyone who worked on it previously, ect. but they haven't. I don't expect a perfect translation by any means but I think were in a far better place with this then we could have been otherwise. If the final product is shit then yes rage at NISA but until we see it I think theres reason to at least remain somewhat optimistic.
I can't speak for others, but I feel like Trails in the Flash was an obvious joke, and that the possibility of NISA not giving CS3 an English dub was slim to none. But yeah, from what we recently learned, it sounds like Varion/Dan might not have been available for these massive games even if XSEED had gotten them. There would have been unknowns either way.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always thought it was more along the lines of "Zero's fan tl is decent considering it isn't a professional product"
After playing a small amount of Zero, I'm in the camp of "it's obviously not as good, but I'd like to play these before I fucking die". Some others would have you believe its unplayable and you might as well not play it if you miss the nuance of a verb in a story scene. To me this is like not watching Jojo on Crunchyroll because the band names were changed for the worse.

Oct 25, 2017
Quick ? for folks that played previous PC ports...

I've played the Vita versions of CS 1&2, but want to to replay ahead of CS 3. I now have a gaming laptop... Are there upcoming ports to PS4 supposed to be identical to the PC ports (Durante?)? I've read they have the speed up, which would be a godsend, and more VA lines. Would I be missing anything else replaying on PS4 over PC?

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak for others, but I feel like Trails in the Flash was an obvious joke, and that the possibility of NISA not giving CS3 an English dub was slim to none. But yeah, from what we recently learned, it sounds like Varion/Dan might not have been available for these massive games even if XSEED had gotten them. There would have been unknowns either way.
Joke or not I was curious if they'd be able to use the same name. Even if an english dub was a sure thing they were not obligated to get any of the cast members back, heck with Hatsuu specifically working on voice direction I think they'll be making a strong effort to get most of the cast back unless they are busy/tied up with other projects/union issues. Having Sean be the first confirmed voice and hearing how the direction was for the trailer I'm really feeling confident in that aspect of the game which is one thing CS3 NEEDS to have.

I've played the Vita versions of CS 1&2, but want to to replay ahead of CS 3. I now have a gaming laptop... Are there upcoming ports to PS4 supposed to be identical to the PC ports (Durante?)? I've read they have the speed up, which would be a godsend, and more VA lines. Would I be missing anything else replaying on PS4 over PC?
Nope maybe modding the game if anyone even does that but outside of that should be pretty much the same. Obviously you won't get customizable graphic settings and other stuff like that but I feel like thats a given.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

PC version has more graphical options, reduced loading times and better performance overall, but feature wise you're not missing out on much.

Either way would be an enormous improvement on the vita version and is a good choice. The PC versions might be the cheapest way to get these games today, but if PS4 has your preference then that's good as well.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
So which cons/trade events does NISA go to besides E3? Wondering when we'll get the first English footage/screenshots.