• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
Games are all near direct sequels (2 literally opens at the end cutscene of 1) with a whole lot of lore and story built up between them that will make absolutely no sense without the context of the previous games.

I see this a lot, but Falcom puts in a lot of work knowing that this may be someone's fist Trails. While ideally some background in the series helps, the games typically include all the information in some capacity to catch someone up on the general story. I started with ToCSII on PC and was able to catch up pretty quick. Obviously going back and later playing ToCSI later filled in gaps and made me appreciate some story beats more, but it wasn't like it was impossible to follow.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
I see this a lot, but Falcom puts in a lot of work knowing that this may be someone's fist Trails. While ideally some background in the series helps, the games typically include all the information in some capacity to catch someone up on the general story. I started with ToCSII on PC and was able to catch up pretty quick. Obviously going back and later playing ToCSI later filled in gaps and made me appreciate some story beats more, but it wasn't like it was impossible to follow.
This post dramatically undersells how tightly connected the stories are.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a good point to jump in in the franchise? I'm curious about it.

Nope, that said, if you are really not willing to play several games, which is understandable...why not? Although you might not fully appreciate what people loves about the series. I know people jumping into GoT Season 4 or 5 and enjoying it, so if you feel you can do that with a show, you should be fine.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland

lmao, you can't be serious with this... i know it's probably your job to say things like that, but come on, this is too much

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait!
7HyPdaR.png

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
So the PC dream is dead? This is PS4 only?
The more likely situation is that there is going to be a PC port but because they can't guarantee a day-and-date release with the PS4 version they're not going to announce it until it's closer to being ready rather than a Ys 8 situation where they committed to a date early on, delayed it, and then wound releasing a clusterfuck of a port anyway.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
While I understand that Falcom may try to be beginner friendly in some way with each game, as was stated in the pax panel itself and unlike CS I or II, this game in particular is the convergence point of 7 other rpg's some of which were never even officially localized.

I don't believe going into this game without having played any of the past games would be doing a service to the player, unless they didn't care about the story at all, that is.

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
While I understand that Falcom may try to be beginner friendly in some way with each game, as was stated in the pax panel itself and unlike CS I or II, this is game in particular is the convergence point of 7 other rpg's some of which were never even officially localized.

I don't believe going into this game without having played any of the past games would be doing a service to the player, unless they didn't care about the story at all, that is.

True enough. But I think a lot of people think of this as like "Do I get into the series here?" Versus someone looking for a really good RPG and not necessarily wanting to backload possibly hundreds of hours.

...Thinking about it, I may have misread the question if it was a question of getting into the series vs. just picking up this title without background. That being said if someone is looking to get into the series they should definitely play the previous entries!

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
There is no context for what happens in CSII without playing CSI first, the former spoiling a significant amount of the first game after said game ended on a major cliffhanger but still leaving the player with little understanding of any of the previous events' significance. And since CSIII is a culmination of everything Trails up until now, not just Cold Steel, starting with it would make about as much sense as someone making Avengers: Infinity War their first MCU film.

EDIT: It seems my post is now unnecessary.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why it's a problem to just say "we work on a PC version but it's too early to tell anything". The amount of people who would have the choice and would rather wait for a PC version or even double dip can't be that high that they can risk alienating the whole existing fanbase on PC.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why it's a problem to just say "we work on a PC version but it's too early to tell anything". The amount of people who would have the choice and would rather wait for a PC version or even double dip can't be that high that they can risk alienating the whole existing fanbase on PC.

Historically, NIS announcing a PC release date has led to disaster for other games. Delays have happened for more than one game, and even when they managed to rush a release it still went pretty poorly. It's probably best they take their time if it is in the cards.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Why did SNK wait on revealing the PS4 version of their anniversary collection? There is always a reason in some cases marketing money is involved and in others they believe it will bring in more money. All you can really do is wait or but the game.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
The PS4 case as the Only on Playstation label so i guess no PC version. Sucks i know i have all Falcom games on PC but well, i dont blame NISA at all. At this point Falcom should take some riks and do some shit in house

They have been sitting in the comfort zone for too long

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Going to reserve judgement. While I do welcome the announcements of ex-Xseed staff being involved, the proof will definitely be in the pudding, and I do wonder how long each of them have been on this project, and subsequently how much influence they have on the overall direction.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Going to reserve judgement. While I do welcome the announcements of ex-Xseed staff being involved, the proof will definitely be in the pudding, and I do wonder how long each of them have been on this project, and subsequently how much influence they have on the overall direction.

Well as seen above, seems like Ryan has a lot of influence over consistency.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Anyone familiar with nis store (Europe) : do they ship the games fast or Is It better to preorder from Amazon? I suppose going to a Gamestop should be avoided in case of shortage of copies...

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The PS4 case as the Only on Playstation label so i guess no PC version.
Nioh has the label. Nioh ended up on PC less than a year after its PS4 release, and the Steam Database reveals that the app was added in May 2016, months before the PS4 release in February 2017. Labels can be less than honest.

Shinzen

Jul 1, 2018
The PS4 case as the Only on Playstation label so i guess no PC version. Sucks i know i have all Falcom games on PC but well, i dont blame NISA at all. At this point Falcom should take some riks and do some shit in house

They have been sitting in the comfort zone for too long
If I remember that label is something that gets added by the console maker. As mentioned above there's games with the label that have been ported to PC anyway like Nioh, Street Fighter 5, and Yakuza 0.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why did SNK wait on revealing the PS4 version of their anniversary collection? There is always a reason in some cases marketing money is involved and in others they believe it will bring in more money. All you can really do is wait or but the game.

In that case we knew there was some kind of exclusivity funky-weird deal with SNK and Nintendo. Same thing happened with SNK Heroines. And why would Sony pay for a niche JRPG like this now...CS1 and CS2 were never announced as "playstation exclusives" games.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
I have come to eat Crow.
...And also eat crow and admit that I'm feeling more optimistic about CS3. I'm not necessarily completely sold, but I'm now open to the idea of this being good.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Guess that they thought on those idiots (like myself) who would double dip on that game, it would have been harder to convince me to buy the game twice if they were released at the same time

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In that case we knew there was some kind of exclusivity funky-weird deal with SNK and Nintendo. Same thing happened with SNK Heroines. And why would Sony pay for a niche JRPG like this now...CS1 and CS2 were never announced as "playstation exclusives" games.
PS3 and Vita versions of CS and CS II carry the Only on PlayStation label as well.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Finding the exclusivity very.....interesting.
I legitimately always took the brands new life as more of a PC thing. So the 180 is throwing me for a loop.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wasnt CSIII the first falcom game with the brand new engine who was built around the PS4? I could see them having some trouble to port it for the switch, but I don't know much about engines to say if is easy or hard to do

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I remember reading a while ago that "only on playstation" generally refers to consoles, not the PC. So that probably means no switch version, but there's a chance we'll get a pc version.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Wasnt CSIII the first falcom game with the brand new engine who was built around the PS4? I could see them having some trouble to port it for the switch, but I don't know much about engines to say if is easy or hard to do
It was their first game developed for PS4 without having to worry about Vita limitations, but it uses PhyreEngine just like Cold Steel 1/2/Tokyo Xanadu. Most of their other games in recent years have used Yamaneko, their proprietary engine.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
CS was always console(s) first so no surprise there.

PC releases will happen eventually though, NISA just doesn't want another YS VIII situation.
They're hammering the PS4 exclusivity pretty hard though. They made a point to say it in their announcement, and with the label on the box too... If it was just a "wait until we're ready" thing I don't think they'd be doing all of this.