• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poyon

Mar 26, 2019
what's the difference between the two versions?
Biggest difference was that EX came with a Bestiary and some other tweaks. From the Playstation blog:

What's New in La-Mulana EX?

For starters, the new Monster Bestiary is where you can check out details of every monster you slay and character you meet. It's useful to read, but you'll also get to see some wonderful art for the creatures in the ruins. We were amazed when we saw how much previously unseen art there was for La-Mulana, so this was the perfect way to show it off.

We've also tweaked the gameplay. La-Mulana lets you go almost anywhere you like from the start, which can be a bit daunting to some. When we first started developing La-Mulana EX, the plan was to have two modes: the original version for returning players, and a revised adventure that was more accessible for new players. However, as time went on, we decided to bring both versions together in a way that improves the experience for everyone.

Of course, this doesn't mean we've made La-Mulana EX easier. Trust me, it's still just as challenging as ever — it's just also more accessible for those who might be too scared to enter the ruins otherwise. The signposting is improved, some of the puzzles and obstacles have been altered slightly (Don't rely on your memories if you've played the game before!), it's now possible to undo the Hard Mode curse if you want to, and so on. We've even added more languages (French and German, on top of English, Spanish and Russian) and improved the old translations, so now even more people can enjoy La-Mulana than ever before.

It would be nice to have, although I wouldn't be crushed if we didn't get it. I'm mainly here for 2.

I'm not sure if Rising Star Games owns the exclusive rights to EX in the west.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Best game ever.

LM2 is not as good but it's still the second best metroidvania.

Never played the Ex version, wish they released it for pc as well :p

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Biggest difference was that EX came with a Bestiary and some other tweaks. From the Playstation blog:

It would be nice to have, although I wouldn't be crushed if we didn't get it. I'm mainly here for 2.

I'm not sure if Rising Star Games owns the exclusive rights to EX in the west.
sounds like good improvements, would suck if we got the basic version in this release

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Glad it's coming out for more platforms. La-Mulana is one of my favorite games ever. I broke down and used a guide for some of the puzzles for the first game way back. But when the second game came out, I was in full on out puzzle mode, taking notes and making screenshots of anything that looked important and all the tablets. Beating the game without any guide was the best feeling.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Goddammit, just bought La Mulana 2 on Switch physically and now this is happening. Oh well, triple dipping I guess.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Nothing really comes close to LM1&2 in the genre.
Glad more people will play it. It's not for everyone though.

Still think everyone should try it, guide or no guide.

I can't even finish LM1 in replays without some help here and there, game is so full of stuff that i always forget most of it despite playing it every year haha

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Does Nippon Ichi lead the industry in collector's editions? Seems like every game! (Not complaining as a Disgaea fan btw)

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
So is the 'Hidden Treasures' edition the only way to get physical? Or will there be a regular retail release?

Lime Blockade

Aug 4, 2018
Second technically. RPG Maker MV was going to be the first but that was canned.

Edit: which makes me wonder why NISA is trying again. They could've skipped Xbox and no one would have bat an eye.
Because Kadokawa Games cancelled the Xbox One version themselves, NISA was just localizing and publishing the English release not actually porting it themselves. The PS4 and Switch version released in Japan November of last year and apparently had a ton of bugs and issues, and that's why NISA keeps pushing back the release of RPG Maker MV.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Still think everyone should try it, guide or no guide.

I can't even finish LM1 in replays without some help here and there, game is so full of stuff that i always forget most of it despite playing it every year haha

For sure. I never made it to the end of LM1 myself. Not sure why exactly lol.

I did finish LM2 though around release. Needed a guide for some part though.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Because Kadokawa Games cancelled the Xbox One version themselves, NISA was just localizing and publishing the English release not actually porting it themselves. The PS4 and Switch version released in Japan November of last year and apparently had a ton of bugs and issues, and that's why NISA keeps pushing back the release of RPG Maker MV.
Ah that explains a fair bit, thanks! So it's likely the dev of this game doing the port then? Still surprising to see NISA change their tune to begin with haha

Lime Blockade

Aug 4, 2018
Ah that explains a fair bit, thanks! So it's likely the dev of this game doing the port then? Still surprising to see NISA change their tune to begin with haha
That I'm not sure about Nigoro did release a native Xbox One version of La Mulana 2 themselves for Japan digitally, but have no idea who's doing a port of the first game for the system. Maybe NISA is porting it themselves, so we'll have to wait and see. And yeah I remember the president of NISA openly criticizing Microsoft because of their higher minimum print requirements and that's why they had been skipping the platform, so I guess something had to have changed for NISA to commit to physically releasing an Xbox One version of this collection and previously RPG Maker MV.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
I was waiting for the switch's La-Mulana 2 release, but this is even better!. Great news!

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Yall newbies also ready for their hard-drumming, elbow-throwing tunes to accompany your descents into madness?

You should get a notebook ready to write down clues if you really want to play it without a guide. It's a great experience though.

Yup. People think "Metroidvania!" and are WOEFULLY underprepared for multi-field puzzles. Screenshots, notes, diagrams; they describe it as "an Archaeological Adventure Game" for a reason. lol

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I hope the final physical box is a liiiiiittle more inspiring, but I can see myself buying physical anyway. Did they list a price?

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
That I'm not sure about Nigoro did release a native Xbox One version of La Mulana 2 themselves for Japan digitally, but have no idea who's doing a port of the first game for the system. Maybe NISA is porting it themselves, so we'll have to wait and see. And yeah I remember the president of NISA openly criticizing Microsoft because of their higher minimum print requirements and that's why they had been skipping the platform, so I guess something had to have changed for NISA to commit to physically releasing an Xbox One version of this collection and previously RPG Maker MV.
Either way it's pretty cool. Can't wait to try out the game!

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Beat me to the punch, OP. ;)

Awesome news. I'm a huge La-Mulana fan and I've been eagerly anticipating the console release of 2. I'm still waiting for my backer rewards from the kickstarter campaign too. I hope those are coming soonish too.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Damn, they don't deliver to Spain.
Any news about a EU version, or at least to retailers, outside their site, like VGA+?

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
EU version coming. More details to come.

For those excited about La-Mulana we have a panel at PAX broadcasting to twitch.tv/PAX2 at 4pm pt (about an hour), where we'll be interviewing the designer, Mr. Naramura and having him eat spicy curry at the same time.

Poyon

Mar 26, 2019
Someone asked at the panel if it was La-Mulana EX in the bundle. Naramura said that they are making some improvements to the first game based off of La-Mulana 2. Hints and other things that can make LM1 easier to understand and beat. He also wants to improve the sound in the game. He didn't really clarify if it woud have all of the EX extras.

It was also mentioned that in Japan they complain that the games are too hard, but in America they want the games to be harder.

There was also some curry and hot sauce taste testing during trivia segments which was pretty fun.

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
Someone asked at the panel if it was La-Mulana EX in the bundle. Naramura said that they are making some improvements to the first game based off of La-Mulana 2. Hints and other things that can make LM1 easier to understand and beat. He also wants to improve the sound in the game. He didn't really clarify if it woud have all of the EX extras.

It was also mentioned that in Japan they complain that the games are too hard, but in America they want the games to be harder.

There was also some curry and hot sauce taste testing during trivia segments which was pretty fun.

Sorry bout that, I caught that question and didn't have the time to re-ask, but I'm going to find this out from Naramura-san hopefully by the end of the weekend.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the site got fixed to "coming early 2020". I thought having it up already was weird!

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
I hope those desired sound improvements also become updates to the PC version. I still need to finish La Mulana 2 (and 1....and Classic) and I may play alongside the new crop.