• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they would have commented at all if it were actually Cold Steel 4. The fact they directly referenced all the requests tells me that their social media is getting bombarded with requests/hopes for that to be an announcement, and they are telling people now that it's something else so people aren't disappointed when the announcements hit.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever happens, at least they're aware of the demand for more Falcom titles.

Y'all brought it, now y'all need to commit.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One of them is definitely YS IX.

No idea what the other one is. Probably some super niche game. Has NIS comes out with anything recently?

I don't think they would have commented at all if it were actually Cold Steel 4. The fact they directly referenced all the requests tells me that their social media is getting bombarded with requests/hopes for that to be an announcement, and they are telling people now that it's something else so people aren't disappointed when the announcements hit.

Still won't stop people from being disappointed anyway. But they tried, I'm surprised they even did tha

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I wouldn't take this as confirmation that CS4 definitely isn't what we're getting next week, but I would lower expectations. Could very well just be them not wanting to comment.
Should probably note that "no plans at this time" is just a recurring meme they do on streams for unannounced projects. It doesn't actually mean they're not actually working on it

They were saying "no plans at this time" for CS3 PC days before they announced it lol

Deleted member 30681

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Should probably note that "no plans at this time" is just a recurring meme they do on streams for unannounced projects. It doesn't actually mean they're not actually working on it

They were saying "no plans at this time" for CS3 PC days before they announced it lol
I have zero doubt in my mind, that CS4 is being worked on and has probably been a thing NISA has been working on since before CS3's PS4 release, but yes you are right. As one of the posts in that thread said "no plans at this time" is just a really fancy way of saying "no comment."

We still could get CS4 next week, but it's best to prepare for the possibility that it won't and that video was just a reminder for myself personally, to temper expectations and I'd recommend for everyone to do the same.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have zero doubt in my mind, that CS4 is being worked on and has probably been a thing NISA has been working on since before CS3's PS4 release, but yes you are right. As one of the posts in that thread said "no plans at this time" is just a really fancy way of saying "no comment."

We still could get CS4 next week, but it's best to prepare for the possibility that it won't and that video was just a reminder for myself personally, to temper expectations and I'd recommend for everyone to do the same.
Oh yeah I definitely think CS4's announcement wont be next week, (CS3 Switch release date maybe?) but I was just pointing out that the twitch clip doesnt mean they arent working on CS4 or dont plan on localizing it for anyone taking the clip at face value

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
placing my bet at CS III switch release date and maybe YS IX or Crossbell localization NISA knows how in demand both are. Maybe thats what it will be. Maybe.

Feb 5, 2018

Second is definitely YSIX.

Way less resource intensive than Trails and can be released in a shorter window than it.

Sad though, wished this company would put more teams together for Falcom games. We are going to be 4 games behind Trails this year if nothing releases (Cold Steel 4, Hajimari, The Crossbell HD rereleases) all of which are widely important to the franchise

Deleted member 30681

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Second is definitely YSIX.

Way less resource intensive than Trails and can be released in a shorter window than it.

Sad though, wished this company would put more teams together for Falcom games. We are going to be 4 games behind Trails this year if nothing releases (Cold Steel 4, Hajimari, The Crossbell HD rereleases) all of which are widely important to the franchise
extremely doubtful, with how Ys scripts are getting larger and larger with every entry, and lets just say the last time NISA tried to localize an Ys game in a year it ended up being a disaster.

the next Falcom game we get is definitely CS4, but I think the question at this point is if we get it this year or next, and I'm starting to think we're getting it in Spring. I wouldn't be surprised if the next announcement isn't Falcom and CS4 ends up being announced at AX.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NIS really dropping the ball with the Trails games. They gotta get them all out in the west if they want to make money going forward from here. The story is getting more and more dependent on you having played all the previous games as they continue forward.

I don't know what they expect from sales of these games if they continue to take 4 years to translate them and not release all of them in the west.

Deleted member 30681

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
NIS really dropping the ball with the Trails games. They gotta get them all out in the west if they want to make money going forward from here. The story is getting more and more dependent on you having played all the previous games as they continue forward.

I don't know what they expect from sales of these games if they continue to take 4 years to translate them and not release all of them in the west.
eh? I don't know how any of this could really be interpreted as dropping the ball. Falcom games, and especially Kiseki games take time to localize, and Falcom isn't really helping when it comes to their policies. They don't even start discussing localization with their partners until the game is out in Japan, unlike others (Gust is a big one for example) that allows localization to be worked on as the game is in development.

It sucks to say, and I wish things would be different but your waiting minimum 2 years until Kiseki games released in Japan are out in the west. I recommend you get used to it.

In the case of CS4, if it's not announced on Thursday, then we probably won't get an announcement until AX. NISA seems to want to wait until the PC and Switch releases of CS3 are out the door.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

lol you make it sound like it's just so easy to localize one of the most infamous JRPG series for its length and amount of text.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: antagonising other members

It's OK, you can just watch the summaries for each game on youtube, it's the same as playing them.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
djmu3K7.gif

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019

"Cold Steel III is the perfect place to start."

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I interviewed XSEED at PAX East this past weekend and tried to see if I could have coaxed an answer out of them regarding Ys IX. Unfortunately, I got the same "no comment" type answer lol.

Either way, I hope if NISA is publishing it, it's announced on March 5.

onlysp.escapistmagazine.com

"There’s Not Much We Can Say About [Ys IX: Monstrum Nox] For Now" — An Interview with XSEED Games - OnlySP

At PAX East 2020, OnlySP had the opportunity to sit down with XSEED Games to discuss the publisher's latest game releases.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about anything Nisa does themselves....

.... Their publishing of YsIX, CS4 and the Crossbell games on PS4 interest me greatly however so fingers crossed.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
eh? I don't know how any of this could really be interpreted as dropping the ball. Falcom games, and especially Kiseki games take time to localize, and Falcom isn't really helping when it comes to their policies. They don't even start discussing localization with their partners until the game is out in Japan, unlike others (Gust is a big one for example) that allows localization to be worked on as the game is in development.

It sucks to say, and I wish things would be different but your waiting minimum 2 years until Kiseki games released in Japan are out in the west. I recommend you get used to it.

In the case of CS4, if it's not announced on Thursday, then we probably won't get an announcement until AX. NISA seems to want to wait until the PC and Switch releases of CS3 are out the door.

I mean I get how much work it takes, but the fact that they don't even discuss translation until the game is out is part of the problem I am discussing. They haven't been real forthcoming with western sales data other than saying it has sold pretty well (even saying some sold better over here than in Japan) but you'd think they would put more effort into getting the games out in the west sooner or at all in the case of some of them.

I've been playing JRPGs for decades so I'm pretty used to them taking forever to come west but that doesn't mean I should just accept it! ;)

It's OK, you can just watch the summaries for each game on youtube, it's the same as playing them.

Fuck out of here with this stupid shit guy. Dumb ass trolling like this is why this forum is such a pile of shit half the time.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020

Falcom seriously needs to stop this bullshit if they want to expand their brand outside Japan. There is no reason they shouldn't be getting localisations locked in early. Preventing spoilers is such a bullshit reasoning.

Deleted member 30681

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I mean I get how much work it takes, but the fact that they don't even discuss translation until the game is out is part of the problem I am discussing. They haven't been real forthcoming with western sales data other than saying it has sold pretty well (even saying some sold better over here than in Japan) but you'd think they would put more effort into getting the games out in the west sooner or at all in the case of some of them.

I've been playing JRPGs for decades so I'm pretty used to them taking forever to come west but that doesn't mean I should just accept it! ;)

Fuck out of here with this stupid shit guy. Dumb ass trolling like this is why this forum is such a pile of shit half the time.
given that Japanese sales make up 75-80% of Falcom's sales I highly doubt that's true. Also the solution really isn't as simple as "just work on games while they're in development" in the case of Falcom. The way their games are developed makes it extremely chaotic for most. Kondo himself has spoken in an interview about how the localization team that released the Chinese versions of CS1 and 2 day and date with the Japanese releases could barely keep up and really struggled. Falcom localizations being worked on as the games are being made would probably introduce many issues of it's own for both Falcom and the localizer in question.

It's a difficult situation that until western sales begin to make up a bigger portion of their earnings (atm I believe it's about 15%) likely won't be addressed. This issue being solved would likely require a lot of changes in how Falcom themselves develop their games.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43810

Banned
May 23, 2018
I'll once again advocate for official summary videos for Trails games. As proven by multiple members of this forum, they are a perfect substitute to full games, it means there's way less text to translate and also no risk of making a garbage PC port.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll once again advocate for official summary videos for Trails games. As proven by multiple members of this forum, they are a perfect substitute to full games, it means there's way less text to translate and also no risk of making a garbage PC port.

I also advocate for this. The troll above actually followed me from another thread where I had the audacity to state that if you didn't have time to play Sky the third you could watch the summary video and get all the relevant information to play Cold Steel 3.

He and his friends took great offense to this statement and have since found it necessary to post stupid drive by troll bullshit like above in a couple threads I have posted in about Trails.

Unfortunately the Trails community is full of gate keeping nonsense like that, that in the end does more harm to the series than good.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're so powerful. Your mind... ugh, it amazes me sometimes.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I also advocate for this. The troll above actually followed me from another thread where I had the audacity to state that if you didn't have time to play Sky the third you could watch the summary video and get all the relevant information to play Cold Steel 3.

He and his friends took great offense to this statement and have since found it necessary to post stupid drive by troll bullshit like above in a couple threads I have posted in about Trails.

Unfortunately the Trails community is full of gate keeping nonsense like that, that in the end does more harm to the series than good.
That is dumb though, 3rd is a fine game and its not liek you need to rush to get to other games considering there's a whole sub series thats still isn't localized.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

Also I'd say CS4 is the least important game to play as it's basically never mentioned again in any other game haha. I often joke that it's like it never happened. Some of the bonding events had cool little scenes from the characters and such but that's about it.

Deleted member 30681

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
3rd is one of the most important games in the series, and introduces lore and characters that ends up being the core pillars for CS, and Crossbell. The idea of skipping it is fuckin ridiculous.

The game is absolutely fantastic too and a beautiful send off to the Sky cast, while also revealing many things about the world, and introducing tons of new lore. Call me a "gatekeeper" but I'd rather people play through the series the way it was intended to be played.

you don't skip the 3rd book in a 9 book series and 3rd is one of the most important games in the series when it comes to what it actually introduces and brings to the table.

Deleted member 2585

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I Can't Believe The Trails Community Is Full Of Gatekeepers Who Suggest You Play The Legend Of Heroes: Trails In The 3rd Instead Of Watching A Goddamn Video Summary

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Getting called out for saying one needs to play the previous Trails games to understand the next one when you said in the past that the most important game could be watched instead of played == "dumb ass trolling"

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Also I'd say CS4 is the least important game to play as it's basically never mentioned again in any other game haha. I often joke that it's like it never happened. Some of the bonding events had cool little scenes from the characters and such but that's about it.

When you think about it, the only important thing that's really ever happened was Star Door 14. Every other Trails game may as well be filler.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread is more entertaining than Trails will ever be. Hopefully they never announce CS4 so this can last forever x

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I Can't Believe The Trails Community Is Full Of Gatekeepers Who Suggest You Play The Legend Of Heroes: Trails In The 3rd Instead Of Watching A Goddamn Video Summary

I don't recall saying you shouldn't play the Third. I said if you don't have time to play it you can watch the summary video and still be ok understanding Cold Steel.

I don't know why it's so hard for Kiseki fans to understand maybe not every has 140 hours, or a PC, to go back and play Trails in the Sky 1-3.....Or maybe they just don't want to?