• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
I'm used to some challenging DRPGs (the abyss games) and I LoR gave me enough challenge. It has a lot of mechanics and you can build your team perfectly, there's still a few ways the game keeps surprising you to keep you on your toes. Honestly, one of the best DRPGs I played recently.

There's also always the option to Witch Petition to a harder difficulty in LORCOD if you are all about punishment. I find it challenging enough at the normal difficulty (though, I am not a genre expert).

BUT Ys VIII, YA'LL. Ys VIII!
Damn, i was hoping for Labyrinth of Refrain but it's not on sale in EU.

I will check The Lost Child or Ys VIII then.

WHOOPS! This shouldn't actually be the case, please stay tuned for LORCOD EU sale pricing (and The Lost Child, and Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded). NOE should be changing that once they are in the office.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if Five Longuest Minutes and Lost Child are any good? They seem interesting but I haven't heard much about them.

Btw, get Ys VIII if you haven't a PS4 around. It's really really great.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Am I setting myself up for disappointment if I go in to Labrynth of Refrain expecting something like Dungeon Travelers 2?
Nope. It's similarly a very strong DRPG mechanically, but you won't need to fast forward through the uncomfortable shit, since the story is pretty good.

You're not going to get the 100+ hours of DT2 though.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
There's also always the option to Witch Petition to a harder difficulty in LORCOD if you are all about punishment. I find it challenging enough at the normal difficulty (though, I am not a genre expert).

Yeah, I forgot that the team that does those games usually set an easier and harder option.

Thank god I'm seeing people going for Ys8. About time.

I'm thinking of buying God Wars for the Switch. Been interested in the PS4 version, but I think it gets more expensive if I were to buy with the DLC.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

WHOOPS! This shouldn't actually be the case, please stay tuned for LORCOD EU sale pricing (and The Lost Child, and Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded). NOE should be changing that once they are in the office.
Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded hope you guys pick up the sequel

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'm kinda disappointed to see that Ys VIII Switch still costs more than double compared to the current sale price on the EU PSN. I suppose that has to do with the PS4 version being longer out?

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Finally got Penny Punching Princess. Been waiting for that for a while now.

Interested in anything else? How many of NISA's games do you have on Switch again?

Also, I see folks are still asking about impressions and whatnot. I guess folks missed my post from earlier.

I'll put everything from that post here, may as well, shouldn't be an issue (again if it is, let me know):

I've reviewed so far (with links):

The Longest 5 Minutes
Penny-Punching Princess
Fallen Legion: Rise to Glory
Happy Birthdays
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA
The Lost Child
Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded
SNK Heroines ~Tag Team Frenzy~
God Wars: The Complete Legend
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk
Yomawari: The Long Night Collection
Disgaea 1 Complete
SNK 40th Anniversary Collection

All on Switch. I'll give some brief thoughts on each:

The Longest 5 Minutes

I found it a bit bland and definitely over-priced. It feels like an 8 bit eShop JRPG which you'd find from say Skipmore who makes the Fairune games and Kamiko. Nothing about it felt super "worth" being a retail game other than to just have on a cart if I'm honest.

Penny-Punching Princess

Much better. I liked the combat of just wailing on foes and rotating the right stick to "shake" money out of them. The dialogue of the butler beetle is actually quite funny and there's a definite charm overall. Looks very "by the company behind Disgaea" I feel. You may really dig this one!

Fallen Legion: Rise to Glory

Worth noting this is legit a 2-pack of two indie titles, and by the founder of Siliconera, no joke. The art is nice but I wasn't a huge fan of the timed combat/blocking, since enemies can attack at different paces so the whole block and deflect ability was really difficult to really use. There's nearly zero voice-acting bar occasional narration by the respective main character here and there and clips you hear in battle. I'd honestly more recommend checking out one of the solo releases on PS4/Vita actually, but this is the only wide retail release (I think Limited Run did theirs on the other systems).

Happy Birthdays

As charming as this looks, it's surprisingly complicated and hollow. I describe it as an aquarium because all you really do is manage a world but do little else in it. There's no interaction with the creatures. They come, they go. Your goal is to "collect" every species but yeah it's not that satisfying.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA

Obvious fav of the bunch here. It's an action RPG that some might compare to Zelda but faster. Combat is good, it's got a good story that's near fully-voiced (you get odd bits of no voice-acting, but the core stuff is). Despite complaints around the voice-acting and text seem perfectly fine and runs fine enough, even if it's not as good as on PS4.

The Lost Child

Surprisingly decent. It's by the creator of El Shaddai which is a fan fav. If you've played Etrian Odyssey you'll know what to expect, and most would say it's VERY comparable to Shin Megami Tensei (which I have not played..). You can catch and evolve demons, including Enoch who was the main character of El Shaddai. It's 99% fully voice-acted (just some minor text bits in like the shop and whatnot, but story is fully voiced). Lua the angel is WICKED over the top in a delightful way that I really got a kick out of.

Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded

I really liked it! It's a rogue-like that's very similar to games like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Shiren the Wanderer, and the only one I played; Chocobo's Dungeon on Wii. The characters are too adorable for words. The game features item merging and dismantling so there's an addictive nature to it. However, the big issue is the fact that if you die in any floor, you lose your level and experience progress. But you keep your items so that's good at least. Plus it got very difficult in the 20's floors (twice I died at 24 and 25). Just be prepared for the difficulty spikes, and you'll likely really enjoy this if you're into rogue-likes!

SNK Heroines ~Tag Team Frenzy~

I had fun with this one. Performance is iffy since it's only 30fps, but I really dig the colorful "pop" the style has. Combat is fun to get into due to its simplicity. The L block + dodge mechanic is LEGIT Smash Bros, it's amazing. There's a lot of stuff to unlock in terms of accessories, character cutscene combinations, etc. The story is okay but it gets CRAZY hard in the final fight, so be careful. Also of course there's the whole sexual nature of it. But it wasn't that bad. It's really just the outfits and nothing more I think. There are better games out there, but I surprisingly enjoyed what I played of it. Note there's no English voice-acting outside of the odd exception being the announcer who's English-only for reasons.

God Wars: The Complete Legend

This probably surprised me more because I had little expectations going in. It's difficult if you don't know how to use the jobs and skills, but once you get the hang of it, it's surprisingly engaging. It's fully-voiced in English and Japanese. It's Vita roots are super obvious, as there's even thin black bars on the sides of the screen (not noticeable on a black TV like mine, I only saw them in the screencaps I took! LOL). Yeah, I actually recommend this over SNK Heronies pretty easily because it's not really flawed outside of not being all that "special". Just note that grinding is only possible in request missions since you can't replay episodes for who knows what reason.

Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk

This is basically NIS's true take of Etrian Odyssey (The Lost CHild was by Kadokawa Games). It was quite good and theI really enjoyed the characters in the game (Luca is too adorable for words!), plus the Enlgish voice-acting is really well done. Word of caution is that a pretty questionable bit happens after a couple of hours in the story. I elaborate a bit more in the review, but yeah it got REALLY uncomfortable in it, let's just say. Overall though there was a lot of effort put here, so if you love Etrian Odyssey and of course love its difficulty, you should love this. Definitely recommended.

Yomawari: The Long Night Collection

This game is legit depressing. I did not expect it to be this dark. I only tell what happens in the beginning of the first game, but it's fucked up. The beginning of the second game is also fucked up. If you have a faint heart like me, you won't want to play this. :( The gameplay is alright. It's an adventure/mystery/survival game of sorts. You have a heart monitor that determines how much you can run and you need to run from the evil spirits or else, boom. Honestly the cute exterior makes you feel even more uneasy because you are terrified at what atrocities might happen to these poor girls. It's weird. In a realistic game you'd be far more prepared. This game was not for me. But folks might really dig it since it was good atmosphere (hell the backgrounds in the second game look legit gorgeous with layers and such). But still. DO RESEARCH. Watch a video, read about it. Know what you're getting into before you buy it!

Disgaea 1 Complete

Mario + Rabbids this is not! :P This is hard to describe, since it's both good and... not as good. The story and characters are great and when things get going it's great, but there's some issues that keep it from being fantastic. I found myself over-leveling Laharl and there can be so many enemies in battles it overhwelms you. Yeah you can make more allies but the experience gain is too little, even when you get EXP bonuses. Plus the camera is AWFUL! :P I did buy Disgaea 5 Complete during Black Friday's eShop sale so I can finally put some solid time into that and compare it. I've read folks say the gameplay systems stayed the same without the many updates from the sequels, I think I can see what they mean already.

SNK 40th Anniversary Collection

Really neat collection. Honestly the biggest selling point are the cool extras to help suck you into SNK history. The Watch function where you actually watch a playthrough of a game, and being able to jump in at anytime is a KILLER feature that even M2 should take note of! Display options are nice but not the most elaborate (M2's got them beat there). The game selection's not my cup of tea (not really into 8/16-bit games as much these days). But as far as I'm aware you won't find many of these anywhere else, and 24 games in total for the price looks like a killer deal (I think it's $40 USD so that's like 4-5 Neo Geo games worth).

###

Surprisingly SNK 40th Anniversary Collection isn't on sale. Oversight maybe? Any insight ToraShiro? I'll leave it there anyway.

And that's it for now. Any updates will be in the original NISA thread since well, it's not like any new games will be in this right now anyway. :P I have Disgaea 5 Complete and just bought Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle, but I don't plan on reviewing those at the moment. I just might, but definitely not before the sale ends sadly.

Hope these all help folks decide on what to buy. I'm open to any questions! :)

Last edited:

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any impressions on The Lost Child?

It's a dungeon crawling/monster collecting RPG with some visual novel parts in it. I had fun with it. My biggest issue was trying to figure out what monsters were worth investing in. I feel like I kinda stumbled through that part, but even so, I don't feel like it hurt my ability to get through the game. Also, I felt like the game was a bit slow. Lots of hints dropped about things that didn't get answered for a LONG time. I still enjoyed playing the game, even if it's not the most exciting game ever.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Ahhh. If you know the prices in euros, I'd be happy to update the OP! :)

These are the games currently on sale.

Ys VIII 41,99 Euro
Disgaea 5 Complete 29,99 euro
The Longest Five Minutes 19,99 euro
Yomawari: The Long Night Collection 29,99 euro
God Wars The Complete Legend 29,99 euro
Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle 10,49 euro
Penny-Punching Princess 19,99 euro
Happy Birthdays 29,99 euro
Fallen Legion: Rise to Glory 29,99 euro
Disgaea 1 Complete 39,99 euro
SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy 29,99 euro

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Damn it I was waiting for a Ys sale for so long but I gave up and pulled the trigger

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
These are the games currently on sale.

Ys VIII 41,99 Euro
Disgaea 5 Complete 29,99 euro
The Longest Five Minutes 19,99 euro
Yomawari: The Long Night Collection 29,99 euro
God Wars The Complete Legend 29,99 euro
Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle 10,49 euro
Penny-Punching Princess 19,99 euro
Happy Birthdays 29,99 euro
Fallen Legion: Rise to Glory 29,99 euro
Disgaea 1 Complete 39,99 euro
SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy 29,99 euro

Thanks! Added! :)

Here, you con browse the various eshop prices for basically any country/currency https://eshop-prices.com/prices?currency=EUR

I see. Looks current and everything. I'll look at this in the future. Thanks for sharing! :)

Some oddities seem to exist like the Canadian pricing saying $58.79 and not $55.99 for Ys 8 which is strange.

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
Yo thanks! Looking forward to it.

Update to this (2/1/19): We tried to correct the pricing yesterday but apparently if you make a mistake there is a cool-off period. I don't think you'll see these go up on sale right now, but we are planning something special for the titles I mentioned later on (few weeks maybe?). Apologies, we thought it was a simple matter of correcting the back-end.

Surprisingly SNK 40th Anniversary Collection isn't on sale. Oversight maybe? Any insight ToraShiro? I'll leave it there anyway.

I'll follow up with my biz dev rep on this, but I assume it was deliberate. I'll be back if that changes.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Update to this (2/1/19): We tried to correct the pricing yesterday but apparently if you make a mistake there is a cool-off period. I don't think you'll see these go up on sale right now, but we are planning something special for the titles I mentioned later on (few weeks maybe?). Apologies, we thought it was a simple matter of correcting the back-end.

I'll follow up with my biz dev rep on this, but I assume it was deliberate. I'll be back if that changes.

Maybe it's due to the PS4 version coming up?

Also, I saw The Lost Child just got an update on PS4 and Vita, is Switch getting one as well?

And did Disgaea 1 Complete's update from Japan ever get released in the west? I don't recall ever seeing that released here, but maybe I forgot.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017

No problem :)

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I've had some of these games on my wishlist for almost a year. NIS games almost never seem to go on sale on Switch. Picked up Fallen Legion, Yomawari, and Coven.

ArcticDonkey

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Got the urge lately to try out a DRPG for the first time. Never owned a 3DS.

Dang shame LoF isn't on sale in EU. It would be one of the few games I would gladly take the performance hit for in exchange for portability.

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
Maybe it's due to the PS4 version coming up?

Also, I saw The Lost Child just got an update on PS4 and Vita, is Switch getting one as well?

And did Disgaea 1 Complete's update from Japan ever get released in the west? I don't recall ever seeing that released here, but maybe I forgot.

We've been rolling out the updates from D1 as they've come in, I think the first one went out in Nov/Dec? They are definitely in the tank and we'll be posting them after they go live on SNS. There were like... 5? In Japan? But we've been able to roll it into 2.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
It's a dungeon crawling/monster collecting RPG with some visual novel parts in it. I had fun with it. My biggest issue was trying to figure out what monsters were worth investing in. I feel like I kinda stumbled through that part, but even so, I don't feel like it hurt my ability to get through the game. Also, I felt like the game was a bit slow. Lots of hints dropped about things that didn't get answered for a LONG time. I still enjoyed playing the game, even if it's not the most exciting game ever.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been on a First Person Dungeon RPG kick lately and have been looking to add more games to my collection in the genre.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
An odd note. Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Ballte actually lists Cube Type (the developer) as the publisher when you click + on its icon, rather than NISA. Did they self-publish it in the Japanese release? That was after the fact though, so maybe it got updated after the Japanese release to match it, and the publisher label changed with it. Who knows.

Mideon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Asked a few days ago but no answer in the eshop thread. Anyone recommend the longest five minutes?