• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 15, 2019
So I recently bought the Utawarerumono Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth bundle on a PSN sale.

I honestly do not know anything about these games other than them having a great story.

I just skimmed this thread and it appears that this game is actually the first game and the other 2 are its sequels. Does that mean that once this game releases and I buy it, I have everything I need to enjoy the franchise to its fullest extent or is there something else I need to buy/know?

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
So I recently bought the Utawarerumono Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth bundle on a PSN sale.

I honestly do not know anything about these games other than them having a great story.

I just skimmed this thread and it appears that this game is actually the first game and the other 2 are its sequels. Does that mean that once this game releases and I buy it, I have everything I need to enjoy the franchise to its fullest extent or is there something else I need to buy/know?
After this game is out you have everything you need.

dorjjj

Oct 31, 2017
Suara is such a damn good singer.

Japanese intro:

Though I personally am partial to the anime opening:

I highly recommend the anime for the original by the way, as it was very faithful to the game unlike the MoD anime.

The original PC OP is also quite good. No Suara song, but the scenes feel more captivating, at last for me:

I also recommend the anime for everyone who is not prepared to invest 50+ hours into a Visual Novel, it's a good adaption and holds up fine. Also one of the few series that got me into anime in general back in the day.

Arcticfox

Oct 27, 2017
It will be nice to finally have an official version of the original game. Hopefully the localization is good. I am halfway through Mask of Truth but got pulled away by other things. I really need to go back and finish it.

The limited edition looks perfect. Game, artbook, and soundtrack are all you need. No unnecessary and expensive additions.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, held off on getting the other games when this game was announced. Can't wait to get into this series.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
This is great news, one of my favorite VNs of all time, any news on any expanded story features? Would have loved to see the later half of the game expanded.
Just hoping the localization is great and has the same quality of the Atlus games.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see it localized, but wary of the quality of the localization considering it's NISA and that tweet they put out.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the game will likely be $40 on Vita, I doubt it will be hard to buy the LE and sell the copy for that much, assuming it's $50 on PS4.

I think the PS4 release will be 60USD, judging from the canadian price (80CDN). The Vita release will probably be 50USD and people can't even be mad since it'll be one of the few, if not the only new Vita title in 2020.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I also recommend the anime for everyone who is not prepared to invest 50+ hours into a Visual Novel, it's a good adaption and holds up fine. Also one of the few series that got me into anime in general back in the day.
The first anime series is great, I absolutely loved it and it's lore... I never got around to playing the games, but the second anime series was A W F U L.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
81yg2RqUCgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Standard edition is 60USD.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of crossover between the two communities since they share a lot of similar elements.

- Fantastic world building with a lot of moving parts in each region
- Politically driven narratives with a group of people trying to find their place in the world
- Fun character banter and lots of chill small moments that build the characters's relationships with each other
- God tier soundtrack, especially the Suara vocals
- Really heavy foreshadowing
- Kuon costume for Juna in Sen 4

How do i miss this series.

galvenize

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely loved the original game and even the animated series years ago.

I tried watching the sequel for like 10 episodes but it's not what I was expecting. I only got excited at Karura's appearance, it felt like finding a long lost friend all these years later. Does it get better?

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

I tried watching the sequel for like 10 episodes but it's not what I was expecting. I only got excited at Karura's appearance, it felt like finding a long lost friend all these years later. Does it get better?
No. The anime adaptation of 2 is terrible. Play the game, which is fantastic.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017

Outside of a few choice scenes the anime version of 2 is bad, and an anime version of 3 doesn't even exist. Play the games instead.

anderedna

Oct 25, 2017
How did i missed this news. I'll gladly buy the PS4 one. Enjoyed both the 2nd and the 3rd one on PS4. Platinumed both even.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I don't trust NISA to competently localize a Charlie Chaplin movie. Seeing them get two series I love for the world building and general atmosphere in a short period of time is just... eeeh. With Utawarerumono's fanbase being so small I fully expect this to be on the "make a fancy special edition and they won't care" bit of the NISA effort scale.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
No. The anime adaptation of 2 is terrible. Play the game, which is fantastic.

I'm still surprised how they managed to mess it up, since the first anime series was fine (and even added OVAs later on for extra stories from the game). Watching the anime for the second series and then plsying the game is like night and day!

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm still surprised how they managed to mess it up, since the first anime series was fine (and even added OVAs later on for extra stories from the game). Watching the anime for the second series and then plsying the game is like night and day!
They fucked it up because it didn't matter that much, anime adaptations like that tend to be about promoting the source material. The God Eater, Granblue Fantasy and Tales of Zestiria anime are very good examples of that albeit of a higher production scale ("omfg ufotable worked on this it is a must watch!!!").

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
*tumbleweed*

It is almost a year since NISA announced this, and the placeholder date at various retailers has now been bumped to May 28th. I hope this isn't far off the actual date and that NISA actually acknowledge this again soon amidst Trails ports, etc.

Jun 5, 2018
When I preordered last year I made the mistake of thinking the place holder date was the real deal then I got an email saying the date changed. I expect we will hear something in the next couple months