• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of crossover between the two communities since they share a lot of similar elements.

- Fantastic world building with a lot of moving parts in each region
- Politically driven narratives with a group of people trying to find their place in the world
- Fun character banter and lots of chill small moments that build the characters's relationships with each other
- God tier soundtrack, especially the Suara vocals
- Really heavy foreshadowing
- Kuon costume for Juna in Sen 4
Ok, this has got me interested now.
The first game is actually not that great, just mostly good (although the gameplay improvements in this remake are very welcome) and it kinda falls apart two thirds of the way in. It's the sequels that are the really amazing ones.
Hmm, ok, maybe I'll watch some gameplay first and decide then.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See, this is a perfectly acceptable solution considering the whole cart production debacle. Unlike the cowards behind Bloodstained. I've been eyeing these games, might jump in before this one gets released.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
NISA getting Utawarerumono 1 hurts worse than Trails even, the localization work for the sequels under Atlus was easily some of the best ever.
Yeah on one hand I'm really happy we're getting this game, on the other I'm a bit terrified, that said Coven loc was good, so I suppose NISA can do a good job when they try.

Shinzen

Jul 1, 2018
This reminds me, I should probably pick up a physical copy for uta 2+3 on vita. I started 2 in Japanese but I realized that this is one of the rare visual novel translations where the English translation is actually more interesting to read.

OP
OP

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah on one hand I'm really happy we're getting this game, on the other I'm a bit terrified, that said Coven loc was good, so I suppose NISA can do a good job when they try.
For what it's worth, Coven's loc was better than usual because it got delayed due to platform change.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of crossover between the two communities since they share a lot of similar elements.

- Fantastic world building with a lot of moving parts in each region
- Politically driven narratives with a group of people trying to find their place in the world
- Fun character banter and lots of chill small moments that build the characters's relationships with each other
- God tier soundtrack, especially the Suara vocals
- Really heavy foreshadowing
- Kuon costume for Juna in Sen 4

Well those are certainly plus points! I'll keep an eye open.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Just started Mask of Deception last week. Guess this'll be my final Vita game.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
NISA again? Lovely. Can't wait for that half-assed translation!

Still, happy it's getting released in English. Debating getting the digital Vita version (since I have the other two on Vita) or going for the PS4 physical.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
FWIW, I think since this isn't coming until next year, chances are decent the translation will be fine. NISA can do good work when not rushed, after all.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I picked up the second and third game and was going to watch the anime to cover the first game but I guess I should wait for this now.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the localization is good. 2 and 3 are fantastic and I really wanted to play this.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had given up on a Vita localization and would have already been happy with a PS4 localization, but this is a pleasant surprise.

Not 100% sold on NISA for the usual reasons, but still.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
See, this is a perfectly acceptable solution considering the whole cart production debacle. Unlike the cowards behind Bloodstained. I've been eyeing these games, might jump in before this one gets released.
Keep in mind that they would have had to port Unreal Engine 4 to the Vita to make the Bloodstained release happen. Costs more than implementing a localization, assuming it works out at all.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind that they would have had to port Unreal Engine 4 to the Vita to make the Bloodstained release happen. Costs more than implementing a localization, assuming it works out at all.
Shouldn't have offered it in the first place then, I became a backer specifically for the Vita version. I'm getting it on PS4 now, but it's still a terrible move on their part.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
The first game is actually not that great, just mostly good (although the gameplay improvements in this remake are very welcome) and it kinda falls apart two thirds of the way in. It's the sequels that are the really amazing ones.
I haven't played this remake, but the first game is fantastic. You can't even really say that it falls apart two-third of the way in anymore now that we have the two sequel games. All the AvuKamu and Iceman stuff now has a much greater context within it, making the first game much stronger.

I'd say Mask of Truth > Utawarerumono > Mask of Deception

Deception was ridiculously short and stopped when the actual plot was just starting to move. It's easily the weakest Utaware game.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played this remake, but the first game is fantastic. You can't even really say that it falls apart two-third of the way in anymore now that we have the two sequel games. All the AvuKamu and Iceman stuff now has a much greater context within it, making the first game much stronger.

I'd say Mask of Truth > Utawarerumono > Mask of Deception

Deception was ridiculously short and stopped when the actual plot was just starting to move. It's easily the weakest Utaware game.
The sequels sort of retroactively do make the first game better as part of a whole, yes. I mostly look at the first game in a vacuum though since I played it back in 2010, and the sequels as Atlus released them.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I held out no hope of us getting the Vita version of this in the west. Unbelievable. Thank you Aquaplus.

RampagingSoul

Oct 25, 2017
I have the other two on Vita and enjoyed them a lot so I definitely pick this up at some point. Wish Atlus USA was doing the localization considering they did a great job and it would be consistent between the three games, but I will still get this and hope for the best.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
The Vita's still getting games in 2020. Well, a game anyway. It's the little zombie that could!

I really need to get around to playing the Utawarerumono games someday. Is it worth waiting on this to come out first before the two that are already out?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On one hand it is NIS America doing this but on the other it is coming to the Vita.

Don't know how to feel about this but the fact the Vita is getting it is great. My favourite handheld keeps surviving against all odds.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Suara is such a damn good singer.

Japanese intro:

Though I personally am partial to the anime opening:

I highly recommend the anime for the original by the way, as it was very faithful to the game unlike the MoD anime.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
The Vita's still getting games in 2020. Well, a game anyway. It's the little zombie that could!

I really need to get around to playing the Utawarerumono games someday. Is it worth waiting on this to come out first before the two that are already out?

It's at the very least recommended to watch the first anime, which is an adaptation of the first VN, before diving into the games released by Atlus.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

You NEED to experience the story of Uta 1 before 3 for sure. Whether that's in the form of the anime or waiting for this to release is your choice.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Still havent played 2 or 3.

How does the remake work given you actually had heroine routes in the original 18+ version? Do they just do all the routes at once or are there multiple endings?

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Amazing news, I thought that the sales of MoT and MoD killed any hope of seeing new installements of the franchise on the west. Really happy to be proven wrong.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

How does the remake work given you actually had heroine routes in the original 18+ version? Do they just do all the routes at once or are there multiple endings?
There aren't routes in the original. Nor any real choices. Heroine stories just hit one after another as a harem sort of story.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I wish the Vita version was physical since I own the other two, but I guess you can't really do much when the production of carts was shut down...

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
In regards to the Hakuoro v Hakuowlo bit, they changed the YT and Facebook version of the Press Release to match what it should be. So maybe it was a mistake? I hope. I really don't want this to end up like YS8.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception was my 2017 GOTY, so I'm very pleased someone is localizing the remake, specially the Vita port.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017

The original didn't have routes either, the MC gets with everyone over the course of the story. The fact that he did this is also an actual major plot point in the sequels that works surprisingly well.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to the Hakuoro v Hakuowlo bit, they changed the YT and Facebook version of the Press Release to match what it should be. So maybe it was a mistake? I hope. I really don't want this to end up like YS8.

They did the same thing with Ys8. They streamed the game, people pointed out how terrible some of the localization work was and NISA assured us they'd fix it. They fixed it, but ONLY the stuff that was pointed out during said stream. The rest of the game was a mess.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
They did the same thing with Ys8. They streamed the game, people pointed out how terrible some of the localization work was and NISA assured us they'd fix it. They fixed it, but ONLY the stuff that was pointed out during said stream. The rest of the game was a mess.
Believe me I know and remember what happened with Ys8. I'm just trying to be optimistic

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
So NISA is localizing Aquaplus's games now? Wasn't expecting that, Atlus USA did a very good work on Mask of Deception/Truth.

I won't buy this one anyway since I finished it years ago.
I look at it more like it seems Atlus/Sega USA is getting rid of their 3rd party licenses, and NISA happened to be the one to pick them up. This would be what, the third third-party license of theirs they've gotten in the past year?

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
It's been years since I played the fan-translated PC release. One thing I really remember is the game having like 9 difficulty levels and it being kinda crazy hard at times.

Also I remember crying during numerous points.