• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2019
fT8asdp.png

(Disgaea 4 is the first game where I saw the term "trap" being used)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Was that supposed to be clever? While yes the community can be awful, and there are more than a handful of anime that are problematic, it also has give birth to works like A Silent Voice, Utena, Clamps entire catalogue. You do a disservice to the the entire community and the creators themselves when you lump them all together with the gross parts of the fandom.
I mean it's not just the fandom, it's a culture wide issue. Ofc it's a big medium so there will be good stuff. But, that good stuff does not nullify all the issues. 🤷‍♂️

Are all fans of video games complicit in the casual homophobia that seeps it's way in to games? No, they're not. Are all the readers out there gross because that medium is where Fofty Shades of Grey came from? No, they're not.
I mean, let's be honest, this is almost quite literally the only gaming focused forum that frequently acknowledges that those issues exist. 👀 Instead of being angry with me, be the change you want to see and speak up when you see the casual nonsense that pervades anime culture and is not on it's way to being fixed anytime soon as creators feel pressure to cater to the otaku market.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you want to have a conversation about how race and gender issues are handled on this site then we could do that but I have to warn you it probably won't turn out the way you intend it to. No need to bring other groups into this.
I meant to say that grabbing a screencap of videos from youtube where anime fans use transphobic slurs (which a big part of the anime fandom is against its use and any decent progressive anime / manga discord would ban) to paint all the anime community is not dissimilar to grabbing a picture of GGs to paint the entire gaming community as racist.
Also, your comment really seems to try and impy I am racist?

I mean, game studios frequently have to comment on the toxicity present in online gaming communities, a topic which gets many articles each year. . The biggest streamers tend to engage in casual homophobia, racism, sexism, general toxicity etc. and hell some of them get rewarded in spite of that. So yes it would not be inaccurate to say that an inordinate amount of people who play video games engage in that type of toxicity well into adulthood.
The case is you dont generalize the borderline cases, where the medium of anime is also used for body positive and pro LGBTQ+ messages on other sides. Both in literature, videogame, film, or anime. You fight the borderline cases until they disappear.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean it's not just the fandom, it's a culture wide issue. Ofc it's a big medium so there will be good stuff. But, that good stuff does not nullify all the issues. 🤷‍♂️

I mean, let's be honest, this is almost quite literally the only gaming focused forum that frequently acknowledges that those issues exist. 👀 Instead of being angry with me, be the change you want to see and speak up when you see the casual nonsense that pervades anime culture and is not on it's way to being fixed anytime soon as creators feel pressure to cater to the otaku market.
Of course the good stuff doesn't nullify the bad, but neither does the bad nullify the good. Your over generalizations do not help those of us that DO speak up about the problems the industry.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I thought NIS was struggling to pay employees?

Anyway, I have no doubt this is gonna come off as either wildly transphobic or fetishizing. Most likely both. NIS isn't super progressive IIRC and def panders to certain interests that are icky (the creepy sexualization of disgaea characters)

fT8asdp.png

(Disgaea 4 is the first game where I saw the term "trap" being used)

Yikes! Even more reason not to trust them

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know who you are bruh. You're not the only one who posts on this site. I can say "this site has huge problems with discussing gender issues" and it probably would have jack shit to do with you. Probably.
I mean, if you are only quoting me you are refering to me, so yeah bruh.

On a less frequent basis than the harmful stuff. :|
Sadly in part due to the big hit of ecchi in the 2000s, creating a hardcore audience that created profit even with less viewers, together with the ancient anti LGBTQ+ stance dominant in Japan. Globalization of anime is slowly improving that, with less of that trash being common (still too common to have 1 or 2 per season, as well as some really fucking trashy harem isekai trash).

Of course the good stuff doesn't nullify the bad, but neither does the bad nullify the good. Your over generalizations do not help those of us that DO speak up about the problems the industry.
But yeah, basically this ^

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Would you prefer I edit to specify "parts of the anime fandom and culture?"

Sadly in part due to the big hit of ecchi in the 2000s, creating a hardcore audience that created profit even with less viewers, together with the ancient anti LGBTQ+ stance dominant in Japan. Globalization of anime is slowly improving that, with less of that trash being common (still too common to have 1 or 2 per season, as well as some really fucking trashy harem isekai trash).
I'm well aware and it sucks.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I'd imagine they're trying to put one together after all the recent flops they've had with their original IPs, and the dumpster fire of the Disgaea mobile game situation.

I hope so, NIS has been throwing their weird projects against the wall hoping it would stick, Lapis Labyrinth was fun though but very light and it just made me wish I was playing more Disgaea.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Sure, but what the hell is it? Dating sim? RPG? Action game? There are no details about the game itself whatsoever, it's like the only thing they cared to mention is the crossdressing. Does no one else here care about, you know, the game itself?
I think a tweet on the game's Twitter account is suggesting more info will be given on July 27th on the game. Considering it is an NIS game I would imagine it a good portion of people here know by that alone if the game would be a game they enjoy, putting aside the subject matter of it.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I mean, if you are only quoting me you are refering to me, so yeah bruh.

You clearly misunderstood what I meant by "how race and gender issues are handled on this site". That part that's italicized was done so for emphasis. As you're neither a moderator/admin here nor, to my knowledge, an especially prolific poster, I'm not sure why you're upset about my comment.

Let me put it another way: There are several examples of anime and manga that handle transgender issues with respect and consideration. They're great! Stuff like Shimanami Tasogare, most works by Takako Shimura, even some anime that have it as an ancillary subject like Zombie Land Saga. They're not as plentiful as the other stuff, because they can take more effort to produce and to appreciate, and are mostly devoid of the fetishism that sells.
I would love to see more works that handle this stuff well, but I do not have any hope of NIS being the ones to do it based on their previous work and how they market it.

"well-timed helpful generalizations coupled with funny emoji faces "
That part is definitely true though.

yeah I guess
but like

i can see why someone would come in here and do stuff like that to try to soften the palpable frustration they have over an issue they're clearly personally connected to

this is kind of a weird thing to take issue with

Oct 25, 2017
However, Nippon Ichi Software decided that a game would not be made until its concerns over whether there was any demand for a cross-dressing game were quelled. The company made an official Twitter account in order measure said demand, which recently reached over 10,000 followers,
Yeah, I don't know about that...

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
As an enthusiast of cross-dressing myself, I can't say I'm particularly excited about this... I feel it won't be very... "representative", if I can put that way. Which is a shame, because I'd like to get this kind of stuff in games in a non mocking way :\

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i'm sure they'll handle the subject matter with that classic nippon ichi tact and class we've come to expect and it won't be gross and fetishistic at all

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
i can see why someone would come in here and do stuff like that to try to soften the palpable frustration they have over an issue they're clearly personally connected to
I realize that, but when you're constantly setting up arguments the least you can do is have a tone that's conducive to that.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Color me surprised this turned into #notallanimefans in 0.01 seconds. Kind of funny nobody bats an eyelid here when it's gamers that are shat upon, but anime is sacred and thou shall not suffer a single ill word against it.

That's easily fixed; google "Etna Disgaea".

Now you know that ain't true. Both here and the old site had an issue with posters mocking those with anime avatars, and making sweeping generalizations.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Now you know that ain't true. Both here and the old site had an issue with posters mocking those with anime avatars, and making sweeping generalizations.
This site has actually been much better about cutting down on the anime avatar mocking tbh.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, that they're being sarcastic?
Yes. As was my post. I'm asking if you take issue with sarcasm.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
This site has actually been much better about cutting down on the anime avatar mocking tbh.

Yes. As was my post. I'm asking if you take issue with sarcasm.
I don't, but it isn't necessarily going to help you make your point, and you seem to be an argumentative person so I assume you're goal is generally to make your point.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that in a world where LGBT people and specifically trans people are treated like garbage by the vast majority of anime themed games and shows that we can make the thread about how not all anime fans are actually bad people.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not many people would have the intestinal fortitude to mock an entire fandom who a large number of came together to offer words of support, appreciation and monetary donations of over a million dollars not even a week out following the Kyoto Animation tragedy.

Please, do keep making your well-timed helpful generalisations coupled with funny emoji faces.
They should have ended their shitpost with an anime gif instead to be up to your standards.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't, but it isn't necessarily going to help you make your point, and you seem to be an argumentative person so I assume you're goal is generally to make your point.
I mean, the point is that the type of toxic reaction to this stuff is very normalized in the anime community. And that, given the studio's previous works, it's hard to think of a scenario where they'll handle the topic respectfully, let alone the people who purchase the game.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I'm glad that in a world where LGBT people and specifically trans people are treated like garbage by the vast majority of anime themed games and shows that we can make the thread about how not all anime fans are actually bad people.

That's not even true! Your experience with the medium must be very shallow if you think that. Which is totally understandable but you shouldn't say thing like that about something you don't understand.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
So glad people are here just assuming it'll be problematic and passive-aggressively shitting on it.

I don't know, people. I think progressives should be leaving the door open for wokeness. Unless you don't actually care about social justice. Which I believe some of you don't. :/

There is a history ... is like Trump saying he will make a good law for LGBT people...you don't expect good stuff because of his history of actions regarding to LGBT people

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I mean, the point is that the type of toxic reaction to this stuff is very normalized in the anime community. And that, given the studio's previous works, it's hard to think of a scenario where they'll handle the topic respectfully, let alone the people who purchase the game.
And I don't disagree with you, if your first post had been this instead, I'd have nothing to say.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not even true! Your experience with the medium must be very shallow if you think that. Which is totally understandable but you shouldn't say thing like that about something you don't understand.

I am trans and I've seen plenty of anime and read plenty of manga. It's absolutely true. While there are some works out there that are positive or not absolutely terrible at handling trans stories, most are terrible including some of the big names like One Piece. And no, the most recent character does not negate all the stuff from the past

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
There is a history ... is like Trump saying he will make a good law for LGBT people...you don't expect good stuff because of his history of actions regarding to LGBT people
It'd be like expecting CoD to accurately portray the horrors and trauma that comes with war instead of glorifying it in the most action movie way possible.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Was that supposed to be clever? While yes the community can be awful, and there are more than a handful of anime that are problematic, it also has give birth to works like A Silent Voice, Utena, Clamps entire catalogue. You do a disservice to the the entire community and the creators themselves when you lump them all together with the gross parts of the fandom.

Are all fans of video games complicit in the casual homophobia that seeps it's way in to games? No, they're not. Are all the readers out there gross because that medium is where Fofty Shades of Grey came from? No, they're not.

Your response is literally #notallanime. Pointing out counterexamples to the negative trends in anime doesn't make the trends themselves non-existent. I could cite several dozen works of anime I love very much, but that doesn't blind me to the current and worsening trends in sexualization, etc. And it certainly doesn't make me hopeful at all that Nippon Ichi of all companies will treat the subject tastefully.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Allow me to just interject here, that it's gotta start somewhere. Representation I mean.

As a person of Asian descent, I can tell you how closely I have paid attention to Asian representation on screen all my life. And for as long as Asian people had any representation on the western screen, for the large majority of it they were little more than jokes, unimportant side characters in demeaning roles, or at best, stereotypes. It has only been very, very recently that they have finally grown and spread into all kinds of starring and co-starring roles that were previously only afforded to white actors.

I understand if you're of a minority group, say transgenders, you're frustrated and want to see proper representation, and you want it now. However, change and acceptance in society at large--as reflected in entertainment--is slow. This is not a knock, but I dare say there are far more people who are Asian than there are trans. Yet it still took so long for them to get it right. So think of stuff like this (Nippon Ichi's appeal to fetish and stereotype) as a stepping stone to something more sophisticated. Asian rep needed fu man chu and charlie chan to get to bruce lee and jackie chan, and we needed bruce lee and jackie chan to get to steve yuen and crazy rich asians. Broad, imperfect acceptance before any kind of refinement. And even then, the old problems will always remain to some capacity.

But they'll get it right eventually. Even if not today, not right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.