• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrpl

Nov 20, 2017
Bokuhime-Project-DPS_07-24-19.jpg

Nippon Ichi Software will release Bokuhime Project for PlayStation 4 and Switch, the latest issue of Dengeki PlayStation reveals. A release date was not announced.
Bokuhime Project is a cross-dressing-themed game project started up in September 2017. However, Nippon Ichi Software decided that a game would not be made until its concerns over whether there was any demand for a cross-dressing game were quelled. The company made an official Twitter account in order measure said demand, which recently reached over 10,000 followers,

Official website: https://nippon1.jp/consumer/bokuhime/

Official Twitter: https://twitter.com/nis_bokuhime

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
this surely won't empower people to say slurs
Does that mean it shouldn't be made? Some people just like to crossdress or well uh...like people who like to do it. I wouldn't label that audience as toxic, and if it's there why not pander to them like any other audience that already gets pandered to?
Whatever could you mean? Surely the anime fandom is progressive... πŸ˜ƒ

Are they any less progressive with crossdressing than they already are with "normal" anime girls?

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will flop so hard in Japan.

Don't see it flopping any harder than outside of Japan (assuming it sees an international release). This kind of casual crossdressing is far more common/accepted in Japan than it is in any western country I am aware of, for example.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how respectful will this be towards transgender people? I'm betting on around -20.

I wouldn't expect much from it... The "jyosou" (dressing up like a girl) subculture in Japan often has little to do with gender or sexuality at least on the surface.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I might be interested if it isn't too bigoted or problematic but I'm not expecting much on this front.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people just like to crossdress or well uh...like people who like to do it. I wouldn't label that audience as toxic, and if it's there why not pander to them like any other audience that already gets pandered to?

Regarding an Anime Crossdressing Game, It's the anime part that's toxic, not the crossdressing part.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't see it flopping any harder than outside of Japan (assuming it sees an international release). This kind of casual crossdressing is far more common/accepted in Japan than it is in any western country I am aware of, for example.

I wouldn't expect much from it... The "jyosou" (dressing up like a girl) subculture in Japan often has little to do with gender or sexuality at least on the surface.
Their latest games sell so little in Japan they barely chart and I doubt this one is will be any different. I also don't see NISA localizing it.

it's a NIS game so is that even a prediction?
It's a fact.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
This definitely won't get localized both due to the potential for offense and the fact that NISA usually doesn't bother with NIS's VN releases.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This has nothing to do with transgender people.

The arrow in its page is literally a male symbol turning into a female one, back and forth. If you think Nippon Ichi of all developers is going to be knowledgeable and respecful enough to keep it strictly about recreational crossdressing, and that there's going to be zero overlap with transgender tropes, well... I disagree.

Pancracio17

β–² Legend β–²
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Regarding an Anime Crossdressing Game, It's the anime part that's toxic, not the crossdressing part.
Anime isnt inherently toxic, its just a weird vague label. I wouldnt doubt that this might cause lots of "hahaha slur" jokes, but thats just part of the community (that probably wont even play this), so idk if I would use it to criticize the game itself.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well yeah, but some people are singling out the crossdressing part in this thread as a complaint or indicator for incoming toxicity, when I'm just here being glad it's made for the nontoxic parts of the audience. The toxic part comes free with any anime related game anyway.
πŸ˜ƒ

Anime fandom is not gross at all. πŸ˜„
I never said it isn't? All I said is you can make the same pic about waifus and other objectifications over other anime content as well, and there's tons of games in those directions. So getting worked up over hypothetical toxicity over a game that adresses an audience that has barely any game for them doesn't make that much sense to me, when the toxicity is a guarantee, because anime.

laser

Feb 17, 2018
The anime fandom is no more or less toxic than the games fandom. In otherwords, it's very toxic. Like with all groups/mediums though, there are plenty of non-toxic people, and there plenty of thoughtful anime/manga dealing with LGBTQ+ out there.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Handing something that requires discretion and subtly to a toxic audience/developer is different than just giving that audience neutral media.
Not really familiar with the dev, but the anime related games that handle anything gender or sex related with subtlety I can count on one hand so...yeah. The (anime) audience has a toxic part to it no matter the topic, I was just glad to hear a game with this topic is made in the first place.

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
Not really familiar with the dev, but the anime related games that handle anything gender or sex related with subtlety I can count on one hand so...yeah. The (anime) audience has a toxic part to it no matter the topic, I was just glad to hear a game with this topic is made in the first place.
Iunno, its a subject just brimming with problematic potential, completely disregarding its target audience.
Characters (some) will likely use feminine honorifics, I bet there's at least one "raised from birth as a girl/socializes as a girl" character. Boom, its already problematic since its marketed as a cross-dressing game. Japan has a tendency to do that.
Putting the cart before the horse maybe, but you said yourself anime games have a knack for lacking subtlety

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish them the best of luck!
Also, is NIS okay now? Last I heard of them, they couldn't pay their employees?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Iunno, its a subject just brimming with problematic potential, completely disregarding its target audience.
Characters (some) will likely use feminine honorifics, I bet there's at least one "raised from birth as a girl/socializes as a girl" character. Boom, its already problematic since its marketed as a cross-dressing game. Japan has a tendency to do that.
Putting the cart before the horse maybe, but you said yourself anime games have a knack for lacking subtlety
Oh it absolutely is. Yeah I guess it's wait and see with this one, I don't blame people being wary.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Bokuhime is a great name, but I am a bit disappointed, since I read this as Kuragehime. Tequila!

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
So glad people are here just assuming it'll be problematic and passive-aggressively shitting on it.

I don't know, people. I think progressives should be leaving the door open for wokeness. Unless you don't actually care about social justice. Which I believe some of you don't. :/

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Sure, but what the hell is it? Dating sim? RPG? Action game? There are no details about the game itself whatsoever, it's like the only thing they cared to mention is the crossdressing. Does no one else here care about, you know, the game itself?

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know, people. I think progressives should be leaving the door open for wokeness. Unless you don't actually care about social justice. Which I believe some of you don't. :/
Preach.

But this being a japanese company, I'm not thrilled about what they're going to do with this.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory whataboutism; using a mass murder to deflect from concerns of transphobia, long history of trolling and inflammatory commentary
Whatever could you mean? Surely the anime fandom is progressive... πŸ˜ƒ
πŸ˜ƒ
Av8npQd.png

Anime fandom is not gross at all. πŸ˜„
Not many people would have the intestinal fortitude to mock an entire fandom who a large number of came together to offer words of support, appreciation and monetary donations of over a million dollars not even a week out following the Kyoto Animation tragedy.

Please, do keep making your well-timed helpful generalisations coupled with funny emoji faces.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not many people would have the intestinal fortitude to mock an entire fandom who a large number of came together to offer words of support, appreciation and monetary donations of over a million dollars not even a week out following the Kyoto Animation tragedy.

Please, do keep making your well-timed helpful generalisations coupled with funny emoji faces.
Would you expect anything different from him? He's one of those people with the constant generalization that anime = bad.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Well that's a level of whataboutism I didn't expect to see this morning

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

So the kyoani situation nullifies the frequent casual transphobia/homophobia in anime culture whenever it comes to male characters who're feminine and/or crossdress? An incredibly distasteful whataboutism dude.

Would you expect anything different from him? He's one of those people who acknowledges that there are many aspects of anime that are problematic and gross and that that goes doubly so for the fandom which mainstream anime increasingly markets itself towards from gross stuff like waifu culture and creepy, frequently out of place objectification being called "fanservice."
FTFY πŸ˜ƒ

You could easily find videos of GamerGates to represent the entire gaming community if you so want and say all the people that play videogames are racist homophobes too.
I mean, game studios frequently have to comment on the toxicity present in online gaming communities, a topic which gets many articles each year. . The biggest streamers tend to engage in casual homophobia, racism, sexism, general toxicity etc. and hell some of them get rewarded in spite of that. So yes it would not be inaccurate to say that an inordinate amount of people who play video games engage in that type of toxicity well into adulthood.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
You could easily find videos of GamerGates to represent the entire gaming community if you so want and say all the people that play videogames are racist homophobes too.

I mean if you want to have a conversation about how race and gender issues are handled on this site then we could do that but I have to warn you it probably won't turn out the way you intend it to. No need to bring other groups into this.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So the kyoani situation nullifies the frequent casual transphobia/homophobia in anime culture whenever it comes to male characters who're feminine and/or crossdress?

FTFY πŸ˜ƒ
Was that supposed to be clever? While yes the community can be awful, and there are more than a handful of anime that are problematic, it also has give birth to works like A Silent Voice, Utena, Clamps entire catalogue. You do a disservice to the the entire community and the creators themselves when you lump them all together with the gross parts of the fandom.

Are all fans of video games complicit in the casual homophobia that seeps it's way in to games? No, they're not. Are all the readers out there gross because that medium is where Fofty Shades of Grey came from? No, they're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.