• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
SteamSpy has a 3 day delay before numbers can be even remotely trusted. So if you want stats for 7th (release day), check on 10th or 11th. Maybe 11th since technically it was released in middle of day.
Ok, that makes sense, I know there is a big souls fans on pc so was just surprised with the numbers.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, better wait for a few days or at least a week for it to stabilize. But even with at 21k, it's doing alright for a KT game.

No matter what, people still see this as a 'KT port' and write it off automatically. It's not that easy to recover your reputation overnight.
Well this thread was moved to Video Games! Thanks for your help with that.
Haha true. I thought it's you who informed mods to move this thread here. Nice.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I played it a bit more yesterday, it's really fun in coop.

I'm very happy that they unlocked the ability to play new levels in coop from the start, that they ever prevented that doesn't make sense to me.

Also, this is probably the K-T port I'm most happy with from a visuals/performance perspective compared to its console version. It's ludicrous that it doesn't have mouse support, but I'd personally play it with a controller anyway.
Wait, the game says you need to finish levels before you can invite specific friends to coop?

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Ok, that makes sense, I know there is a big souls fans on pc so was just surprised with the numbers.
The current trajectory is probably indicative of at least 70k initial full-price sales. Which, by K-T PC port standards, is actually a lot.

If they want to do Souls numbers on PC, they need to start by supporting the default input device ;)

Wait, the game says you need to finish levels before you can invite specific friends to coop?
There are two types of coop in the game. You can play the Torii coop mode with a friend on levels you have not yet played.
This used to be the case in the PS4 beta, then it was not allowed when the game released, then they re-added the option in a patch, and it's there from the start on PC.
(It's all not very well documented, I only understand it because people were nice enough to explain it in detail on the old forum).

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017

This is me a while ago on my first playthrough.

Just gunna say, when i mained the chain it was OP af against humans. What im doing here i got progressively better at to the point i could do it several times in a row without moving against bosses like the
black samurai

That's my revenant farming trick!

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Double dipped to play the DLC (even though I already bought the DLC on PS4 and never got around to playing it) and mess around with the new weapons. Odachi is lots of fun, but it doesn't seem to have as many skills as the other weapons, so I'm a little disappointed in that aspect. Seems a lot of skill slots were taken up by the stance switching moves, which tbh aren't that interesting to me. I'm up to Region 3 and just unlocked Moonlight Sorrow. Holy crap that does a ton of damage, definitely my favorite move so far. The skill mentions something about changing stances, but I have a feeling it's a typo and they meant "charge"? Here's the description:
Press Triangle to perform up to three powerful hits in succession. The technique can be changed by pressing and holding down Triangle from any stance.
I can't tell any difference in moveset when performing it from different stances so I just threw that on L1+triangle in high stance. Using groundquake on mid, and Tiger's blade in low. Lot's of overlapping skills assigned to the same buttons, not sure how I feel about that to be honest. Seems a little restrictive for no real reason that I can see.

I want to mess around with the tonfas but this character is like the polar opposite of stats I want for that, so I'll probably respec and try that out later. Any recommendations for the 2nd weapon? Axe seems the obvious choice based on stats but I feel their purpose may overlap too much. Probably just gonna put some skills into sword and go with that.

Sword and Dual Swords are still the kings for me. Their versatility and skill choices are great.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The boss of the first mission in Zipangu is wild. I managed to understand his patterns through die & retry but using my bird guardian spirit I was able to almost entirely cheese it and I feel bad about it. At the same time I was doing next to no damage so I don't know how that would have ended up without it.

Is the spirit supposed to be this strong ? Absolutely shredded 75% of his life the moment I broke his stamina.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
So I beat the first boss. But only thanks to the Shark Spirit (After I had gotten him to about half way with the chain). I actually beat him before in the alpha and was wondering if the Spirit is that required for beating him? The damage difference from normal to that is huge. You practically get a free half life bar off of him with it.

I'm hoping I don't have this much trouble with the rest of the bosses and need to rely on the Shark Spirit as much. I vaguely recall getting to the second boss in the Beta and beating him far easier than the first. I think the small area to fight the first boss in might have been the biggest issue.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
So I beat the first boss. But only thanks to the Shark Spirit (After I had gotten him to about half way with the chain). I actually beat him before in the alpha and was wondering if the Spirit is that required for beating him? The damage difference from normal to that is huge. You practically get a free half life bar off of him with it.

I'm hoping I don't have this much trouble with the rest of the bosses and need to rely on the Shark Spirit as much. I vaguely recall getting to the second boss in the Beta and beating him far easier than the first. I think the small area to fight the first boss in might have been the biggest issue.
I beat him without the spirit. He seems pretty intimidating in a such a small room so it's easy to cause you panic on the first try. On my 3rd try, with a more calm and careful play, the room feels actually way more spacious than it first appeared. Mind game is important. For me at least, the next 3 or so bosses are easier or relatively on the same level.

Also important to remember, this game is different from Souls game in the fact that you can run while locked on to enemies, and not only dodge or roll. Makes a huge difference in some fights.

Last edited:

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Also, this is probably the K-T port I'm most happy with from a visuals/performance perspective compared to its console version. It's ludicrous that it doesn't have mouse support, but I'd personally play it with a controller anyway.

did you feel that controller was the way to play when Dark Souls 1 was released on PC?...why do you now feel that way about Nioh?

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
did you feel that controller was the way to play when Dark Souls 1 was released on PC?
Yes, because DS1's mouse support was really bad.

,...why do you now feel that way about Nioh?
Because it doesn't have mouse support.

But even if it had, I'd probably still play it with a controller. Especially now that the Steam controller fixes my major issue with controllers for third person games (a thumbstick for camera control).

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yes, because DS1's mouse support was really bad.

Because it doesn't have mouse support.

But even if it had, I'd probably still play it with a controller. Especially now that the Steam controller fixes my major issue with controllers for third person games (a thumbstick for camera control).

so even after creating DSFix you still used a controller to play DS1?

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a bad habit of sticking to Whatever Works (e.g. a sword and shield) in Souls-likes, so I love that not only do all of the weapon types in Nioh feel viable, but kind of necessary. After rolling up on my first real mob with a sword and tonfa I quickly realized I needed some range. Now alternating between an odachi and kusarigama as my secondary, both of which are ridiculously fun. Want to learn spears next.

Also, props to Koei Tecmo (!?). Runs really well on my potatoey Alienware Alpha.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Just glad we don't have people calling it a shitty port when it's likely one of KT's (only?) best ports. Definitely needs work, but it's playable and enjoyable.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
:l

Beat the base game and then some with 650+ hours including patched extra missions

sells game once japan gets announcement of complete edition

never announced to be released WW

feels bad

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any skill moves for the spear that can be used during living weapon? I know you can use blade spin with the kusarigama so I figure there might be some for the other weapons as well. It feels like such a waste to just sit there spamming the spear's basic attacks (which are very inefficient against blocking enemies) when using LW on humans.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
:l

Beat the base game and then some with 650+ hours including patched extra missions

sells game once japan gets announcement of complete edition

never announced to be released WW

feels bad
It seems that it's on sale in Asia and Europe PSN. Google search shows Singapore PSN store which then redirects to my country PSN. Regarding the Europe version, it shows Greece PSN but I'm not sure what are the available countries.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Okay wow I been dumping into Stamina which I thought was KI >>

It lets you wear more stuff which will be helpful but I could have used the extra KI by now. lol

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Tempted to try Twilight Mission with my current level (15) but I'm afraid if I'm going to stuck there. How hard Twilight Missions really is?

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to try Twilight Mission with my current level (15) but I'm afraid if I'm going to stuck there. How hard Twilight Missions really is?
They are souped up versions of whatever main mission they are modified from. The change in difficulty varies somewhat, but it isn't never a staggering increase. For example, the Blessed Village, AKA Twilight Isle of Demons can be reasonably done right after you complete the normal version

And you are never stuck in a mission. Your item inventory will always have an item called Himorogi Fragment, which will allow you to return to the map screen at the cost of all your current amrita. You have also likely picked up some Himorogi Branches, which is a consumable but lets you return without the Amrita tax.

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Finally managed to summon someone in the pc version and I died within 4 seconds of entering the ice queen boss. Person was probably shaking their head hard lol.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
They are souped up versions of whatever main mission they are modified from. The change in difficulty varies somewhat, but it isn't never a staggering increase. For example, the Blessed Village, AKA Twilight Isle of Demons can be reasonably done right after you complete the normal version

And you are never stuck in a mission. Your item inventory will always have an item called Himorogi Fragment, which will allow you to return to the map screen at the cost of all your current amrita. You have also likely picked up some Himorogi Branches, which is a consumable but lets you return without the Amrita tax.
Sweet, looks I'm going to try Blessed Village next.

Before, I thought Himorogi Fragment was only transport you to the latest shrine because I just skimmed over it lol

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Which side missions are essential? Just beat the ice lady and I've only done the one that unlocks the blacksmith patronage. Not struggling with the story missions at all.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
How do you get Patronage Perks from Tome? Is it based on how much money you spent in her shop or is it mission based?

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017

Twilight mobs hit about as hard as mobs of equal level.

Hard part about Twilight Missions is that they often contain harder variety of monsters. Monster placement is also harder. Example: normal map has enemies patrolling nice and separate, ambushes are far between. In twilight missions I have to be careful to not pull 3-4 enemies at certain places.

So yeah, equipment-wise and stat-wise twilight missions are about same as equal level normal missions. But they require more from your personal gaming skills due to intentionally harder level designs.

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I used my Samurai skill points for the wrong weapon, I did not check what was selected :-(
Is there a way to respec that?

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any skill moves for the spear that can be used during living weapon? I know you can use blade spin with the kusarigama so I figure there might be some for the other weapons as well. It feels like such a waste to just sit there spamming the spear's basic attacks (which are very inefficient against blocking enemies) when using LW on humans.
I did some more research and testing and figured out that you can use most "guard + face button" attacks other than the ones that require you to hold the button or the parries if you assign them to mid stance. For the spear this means entangle or spear shove. Unfortunately that means if you want to use spear shove you need to unequip entangle, since it can only be equipped to mid stance. On the other hand, a large part of Team Ninja's idea of "challenge" in the DLC and higher difficulty levels is to simply make every boss and mid-boss immune to all forms of incapacitation or stun, so it's not that much of a loss.

Edit: Oh, and you can use wild spear, but that's barely worth mentioning now. RIP.

Last edited:

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the dlc for 15€ and been playing them this last 2 week's, im at the last zone now and so far its been good well worth the money.
Gotta say tonfas are awesome, great addition to the game.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the first real mission yesterday. Boss killed me about 15 times, heh. Still, I'm really liking this game, it plays great. I think I'm going to have fun with it for quite a long time. Looking forward to playing more tonight and the weekend.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
i wanna say to newcomers that its far more important to understand the fundamentals of combat technique and knowing your enemies moves in addition to your own as opposed to blindly getting your level up and turtleing through. I was able to easily blow through every mission up to area 4(outside of umi bozo cause fuck that thing) at level 1 once i had mastered my preferred weapon(standard katana) and mastered the techniques.

Samurai points are one million times more important than amrita or level points

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked season pass for 15€ few weeks ago and started the first DLC. God damn those Kappas ruined me. I think im nearly at the boss now, but damn it was pretty hard at some points. And it's just the first level... I guess I have bad gear (never farmed any divine gear, stopped playing when finished the game).

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
i wanna say to newcomers that its far more important to understand the fundamentals of combat technique and knowing your enemies moves in addition to your own as opposed to blindly getting your level up and turtleing through. I was able to easily blow through every mission up to area 4(outside of umi bozo cause fuck that thing) at level 1 once i had mastered my preferred weapon(standard katana) and mastered the techniques.

Samurai points are one million times more important than amrita or level points

Any specific things we should get for our weapons with samurai points before anything else? I prioritised getting the "ki purge" thingie "while dodging" for all stances and then I got a couple moves that extend my combos.

Is it OK to spread samurai points over, let's say, two different weapons or should one be focus?

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Picked season pass for 15€ few weeks ago and started the first DLC. God damn those Kappas ruined me. I think im nearly at the boss now, but damn it was pretty hard at some points. And it's just the first level... I guess I have bad gear (never farmed any divine gear, stopped playing when finished the game).

Divine gear is key since its was a familiarity bar and you also can keep upgrading it by "feeding it" other divine items.
Also without spoiling anything the boss in that zone is no joke if you are underleveled.