• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
AjLps9o.jpg

This is a place to discuss the PS4 game Nioh.

Coming to PC Nov 7, 2017.

Hey when is my collectors edition strategy guide going to release, Future Press?

Edit: guide is sadly cancelled https://www.facebook.com/FuturePress/posts/10155744410336163

Complete Edition OP by texnolyze below:

TolMJIW.png

gMt5PKU.png

DEVELOPER: TEAM NINJA
PUBLISHER:
KOEI TECMO | SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
PLATFORM: PC (STEAM) | PLAYSTATION 4 (PSN)
RELEASE DATE: November 7, 2017
PRICE: $50 MSRP
DOWNLOAD SIZE: 29GB | 79GB installed
REVIEWS: Metacritic | Opencritic
GAME LENGTH: 60+ hours for main + extras

GEouUPv.png

In Nioh, players will traverse war-torn Japan as William, a blonde-haired swordsman whose background as a fierce warrior and seasoned knowledge of the blade allows him to survive in the demon-plagued land of the samurai. Known as Yokai, these demons inhabit a number of dangerous locations and lie in wait in the shadows to ambush unsuspecting victims. Players will also face off with other samurai in supernatural sword battles and intense, multi-target engagements offering a level of difficulty that will truly test even the most hardened samurai's skills, patience, and strategy.

Features:

• Master every fighting style – learn the flow of combat and move with precision. Unleash combinations of attacks and dodges specific to a range of authentic samurai weapons, including polearms, katanas and axes.
  • Explore a fantastical and dark vision of 16th century Japan – fight alongside and against legendary heroes and villains of the Warring States period.
  • Face brutal and grotesque enemies – stand alone against skilled samurai and demons known as the Yokai.

szpkGov.png

7O3RtyV.jpg

w8DrDMQ.png

Combat in Nioh is agile and brutal. Similarly to the Dark Souls series, there is an HP bar for your health or hitpoints and Ki bar that acts as stamina and governs your actions. You can increase your Stats by acquiring Amrita, which is earned by defeating enemies, by finding treasure, and by praying at newly discovered Shrines.

Dying causes univested Amrita to be left behind, and will cause William to lose his Guardian Spirit (which otherwise provides passives, magic and damage reduction). Dying before recovering your Amrita means losing that Amrita for good, but restores your Guardian Spirit. Lost Amrita can also be reclaimed with a Summoner's Candle.

Combat Stances
The radial icon on the bottom right of the screen are your Combat Stance options. Selecting a stance will change the orientation of your equipped weapon and change the attacks you can make. There are 3 different stances:

high_stance.png
High StanceHigh Stance: attacks from this stance feature increased damage at the cost of heavy Ki consumption. High Stance emphasizes attack power and aggression. You're provided with heavy Attack and Break power, but you may be left wide open.

mid_stance.png
Mid StanceMid Stance: attacks from this stance are balanced between defensive and offensive properties and may feature support skills like parries. By default it strengthens your guard. Mid Stance favors a defensive approach, and often horizontal attacks which are good for crowd control.

low_stance.png
Low StanceLow Stance: attacks from this stance tend to be fast and low Ki consuming. It's the fastest stance and the most suitable for dealing with nimble enemies and inflicting Status Effects. The poorest aspect of Low Stance is the short range of its attacks.

Additional Combat Information

• Every stance of every weapon comes with fast attack sequence and a slow attack sequence. These attacks are unique for every stance and weapon.
  • Attacks cost Ki. When Ki is depleted, you can no longer attack or evade.
  • Taking damage costs Ki. Enemies who take damage also lose Ki.
  • Damage over time does not deplete Ki.
  • When Ki is depleted, players will pause to catch their breath (stunned), leaving them vulnerable to devastating attacks. Managing Ki and using Ki pulse mid combo is crucial to surviving difficult encounters.
  • Depleting an enemy's Ki will bring that enemy into a stunned state.
  • After learning Grapple, you can perform Grapples on stunned enemies.
  • Hitting an enemy that's stunned will cause that enemy to be knocked down.
  • Players can perform a killing strike on knocked down enemies.
  • Guardian Spirits provide boons and a minimum 20% reduction in damage.
  • Ki is depleted via sprinting, blocking, dodging and attacking
  • You can summon a Living Weapon when the Amrita Gauge is full.
  • You can perform Ki Pulses to manage your Ki.

qSgjcKd.png

body-icon.png

Body
Raises Life and resistance to Poison and Paralysis.
Raises the damage of Weapons, see Scaling Table.
Needed to unlock the passives on Medium Armor.
Needed to unlock the passives on Light Armor.
Unlocks Samurai Skill Points.

heart-icon.png
Heart

Raises maximum Ki.
Raises the damage of Swords and Bows.

stamina-icon.png
Stamina

Raises Life and maximum equipment load
Raises the damage of Cannons.
Needed to unlock the passives on Heavy Armor.

strength-icon.png
Strength

Needed to unlock the passives on both Heavy Armor and Medium Armor.
Improves Ki Pulse.
Slightly improves maxium equipment load.

skill-icon.png
Skill

Needed to unlock the passives on Light Armor.
Improves Ki Pulse.
Slightly improves Ninjutsu Power.

dexterity-icon.png
Dexterity

Determines the power and capacity of your Ninjutsu.
Allows you to learn more Ninjutsu Skills.
Allows you to carry more Ninjutsu Skills.

magic-icon.png
Magic

Determines the power and capacity of Onmyo Magic.
Raises resistance against Yokai stamina debuffs.
Allows you to learn more Onmyo Magic.
Allows you to carry more Onmyo Magic.

spirit-icon.png
Spirit

Affects the power of your Guardian Spirit.
Unlocks Guardian Spirit passive abilities.
Slightly raises Onmyo Magic Power. Slightly raises resistance against Yokai stamina debuffs.
Determines the rate at which the Amrita Gauge fills (which is required to use Living Weapon)

1DDEQT5.png

Online co-op is available via "Torii Gates" and Ochoko cups, making it so single player campaigners may summon in visitors from another world at a shrine. Similar to souls, the session ends if the host dies, but if the summoned ally is defeated another one may be brought in. Gestures and cosmetics are available to make this experience more unique. It should be noted that during these sessions players cannot trade equipment.

1) In order to play co-op and summon a companion into your game you need to offer an Ochoko cup. These can be obtained from dead revenants. You can offer these cups at the shrine menu under the "summon" section. The game will then start looking for a companion and connect them to you as soon as it finds one.

2) To join Co-op with random people, after you beat a mission it is unlocked for proper co-op. To access co-op then:
  • You can then highlight the mission on the map, hit X and then it allows you to hit Square to 'Become a Visitor.' In this mode when the host dies you are sent back to your world and you can't be revived either by the host
  • You can use the 'Starting Point' menu. There is an option called 'Torii Gate.' You have two options here:
    • Yokai Realm with a Companion: This modes lets you revive each other with a gauge going down if someone dies till you survive the dead player. Just hit Circle at their grave. When the gauge is emptied the mission fails for both players.
    • Random encounter: This is similar to 1. You don't get to revive each other in this mode.
    • Both options let you either randomly search for a game or specify a mission. You can only choose and enter certain missions with these menu options if you have already beaten them.

3) To Co-op with friends/people using a password:
  • The game offers a password system to connect with friends or people using the same password.
  • You have the same options as stated above but are restricted to only being able to search for and enter missions that you have already beaten. When both players are new to a mission they cannot co-op via password.
In order to play co-op both players need to:
  1. Set the same password
  2. Set the password to 'On'
  3. The player trying to help/trying to join the other players as a companion has to have the mission unlocked/beaten
  4. You then have the same options described above.

VQRBzew.png

P7hAvBj.png

All three DLC expansions are included: "Dragon of the North", "Defiant Honor" and "Bloodshed's End".

The worldwide critically and commercially acclaimed dark fantasy action-RPG Nioh arrives on Steam! Nioh: Complete Edition includes all three DLC expansions for additional new scenarios, new characters, new guardian spirits, and new weapons Odachi and Tonfa.

lK85Jy5.png

HEbWlvj.png

MINIMUM:
OS: Windows® 10 64bit, Windows® 8.1 64bit, Windows® 7 64bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 3550 or over
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780 VRAM 3GB or over AMD Radeon™ R9 280 VRAM 3GB or over
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 80 GB available space
Sound Card: 16 bit stereo, 48KHz WAVE file can be played

RECOMMENDED:
OS: Windows® 10 64bit, Windows® 8.1 64bit, Windows® 7 64bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 4770K or over
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 VRAM 6GB or over AMD Radeon™ R9 380X VRAM 4GB or over
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 80 GB available space
Sound Card: 16 bit stereo, 48KHz WAVE file can be played

dnIkMuc.png

- Decent optimization
- 30 or 60 fps cap
- No mouse support
- No 5.1 surround sound
- No 21:9 resolution support
- Can't change resolution in-game
- Can't rebind keyboard buttons

Last edited:

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for pc version,will definitely come back here for some ERA wisdom :)

Deleted member 11522

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed the game,for me it the GOTY.Still working on getting all the trophies for the dlc´s ,but i dont know if i am going to play it on PC.
And the grind fo good equipment in WOTN/Abyss is really killing my fun.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
So glad they patched in co-op from the beta, Meaning you can co-op with someone from the get go rather than someone doing it first.

Currently doing it WOTN and a kusaraugi ninja build, From Dual swords heaven. This game is addictive and fun. Highly recommended for the souls folk.

Shadow Yuk

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Never bought the game, I'm considering buying it in the next few months. My only concern: are the dlcs worth or should I buy the base version?

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
My computer can't run the PC-version :/ Currently on NG+, I only own the base game on PS4.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need to get back into this game. How are the new weapons that were added after the release of the game?
Haven't touched the DLC's yet.
Want to try an new build/weapons for way of the strong and the DLC's. I used Kusarigama(ninjutsu) when I beat the game for the first time.

I usually play as glass cannons and I like to have addtional options in combat.
If you want to see how this looks like in pratice, here is me fighting against First and Second post-game bosses.

Silvard

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I miss playing this game, the whole trading thing we got going way back when was pretty amazing and one of my most memorable gaming moments of 2017.

I haven't played since a couple of patches after release, and certainly none of the DLC or anything like that. What are the biggest changes and additions?

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I miss playing this game, the whole trading thing we got going way back when was pretty amazing and one of my most memorable gaming moments of 2017.

I haven't played since a couple of patches after release, and certainly none of the DLC or anything like that. What are the biggest changes and additions?

Hi Silvard! The game has changed a lot with the DLC. There are several new difficulty levels, there is PvP, there are two new weapons the Odachi and the Tonfa, and The DLCs brought three new regions. There have been a lot of balance patches with a lot of nerfs and buffs. Also DLC3 introduced an infinite scaling dungeon type thing with endless floors called "the abyss" that gives you access to the best gear in the game. There is also now Ethereal gear which is better than Divine gear and it can't be forged.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I 100% the game before any of the DLC came out, so when I get back to it, I'll have a lot of new content to play. Honestly, one of my favorite games in recent memory. Just a dream to play.

Silvard

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Hi Silvard! The game has changed a lot with the DLC. There are several new difficulty levels, there is PvP, there are two new weapons the Odachi and the Tonfa, and The DLCs brought three new regions. There have been a lot of balance patches with a lot of nerfs and buffs. Also DLC3 introduced an infinite scaling dungeon type thing with endless floors called "the abyss" that gives you access to the best gear in the game. There is also now Ethereal gear which is better than Divine gear and it can't be forged.
Holy moly, all that in less than a year? Most games would kill for that sort of attention. Looks like I have to delve back in at some point. When you say the new tier of gear can't be forged you mean just crafted? Or can't have the perks rerolled either?

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Started the game again for the first time after beating early this year and got a dozen pop ups.
Things have changed quite a bit.
I'm going for a skill/magic build for the DLC and way of the strong.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Does the DLC bring significant improvements to level design, enemy design (and variety), storytelling and the loot system? I loved the combat in vanilla but all these other aspects were very disappointing for me.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apperntly a only Fist build is a thing.
Not right away, since you need a few skills to make it work. Sounds like a fun way to play this game.

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Does the DLC bring significant improvements to level design, enemy design (and variety), storytelling and the loot system? I loved the combat in vanilla but all these other aspects were very disappointing for me.

Not really. It feels like more of the same. There are some new enemy types but not a lot.

Holy moly, all that in less than a year? Most games would kill for that sort of attention. Looks like I have to delve back in at some point. When you say the new tier of gear can't be forged you mean just crafted? Or can't have the perks rerolled either?

The Etheral gear can only drop. There is some way of modifying it in the abyss. I honestly haven't touched DLC3 so I don't know all the details. But you can't do anything with Etheral gear at the Blacksmith as far as I know.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Hey when is my collectors edition strategy guide going to release, Future Press?

Want to jump in and second this question... wanted to wait for the guide for the Way of The Demon run (I haven't played since the original release and jumped back in with all the DLC after the last one released; working my way through Way of the Strong currently), but it looks like that might not happen.

Also, anyone have any good builds for Way of the Demon? I have good +10s now that make WotStrong a breeze, but I know my difficulty is going to spike hard for WotD!

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Apperntly a only Fist build is a thing.
Not right away, since you need a few skills to make it work. Sounds like a fun way to play this game.
I'd probably get tired of seeing the same silly looking punch swing animation but it does look interesting now that it's doable.

I need to get back into the game, i haven't tried DLC2/DLC3 yet.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Hey, so I just started playing this a couple days ago, and have been struggling a bit. Bloodborne was my first souls game (which i really loved) and obviously the combat is different here, but I really enjoy the speed of it but im not sure im approaching it right. The human type enemies are pretty straight forward but the large yokai I have been having a little trouble with. Been taking my time with them and I just only cleared the 3rd boss.

My questions really are what sort of build I should be focusing on. I have mainly been using swords (dual and single) but wondering if I should be using something with more range for these large yokais?

I have been putting level points into - 10 for spirit, 10 dex, 11 magic, and have put a few randonly into the other ones. I read that magic and ninjitsu are really good in the game so wondering if those are the stats I should be focusing on going forward? What spells / abilities are the ones I should be using (the living attack spell was great for 3rd boss for example)? What sort of mid game/late game stats should I be looking at having?

I also read that weapon stat upgrades are not that important as the equiped gear itself will affect it alot more, is that true?

I also usually farm at certain points during RPGs, so I have no problem spending some time doing that to do a stat dump. I was reading revenants are better to farm for gear, but is there any points in the game where the difficulty really spikes and I should consider just farming a while? I saw the early game farming routes, but they didnt seem very good (7000 Amrita for 3-4 mins). I know some people might look down on farming but its something I usually do in games as I like/enjoy being over levelled to some degree.

Bloodbourne certainly got easier as the game progressed (bar a few bosses here and there), is it the same here, or is there just a gradual scaling in difficulty ? Im just talking about the main game (not the NG plus or twlight missions - I can worry about them when I finish!)

Sorry for all the questions.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Just returned to Nioh not having played it since spring. Sweet, sweet gameplay.
Controls that's not detailed in the mapping and I had to google were:
Living Weapon Summon = Triangle + Circle
Sheathing weapon = R1 + Circle (another stance basically).

Meccs

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Since I've been recording footage from the PC version, I'll dump those here for all to see.

Nioh: Complete Edition [GTX 1080 Ti] Gameplay (4K 60FPS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdozhB7ZLag
I just watched a bit and bought it from Steam. This looks like it's exactly what I want in a game. I loved all the FromSoft titles.
How is the online though? I played quite a bit of PvP and coop for bosses on 2nd and 3rd playthoughs in DS2/DS3. Does it have that too?

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice OP, but I think it'd better if it was on the gaming side with the PC version releasing today.

Umbra_Witcher

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
Anyone who hasn't played this yet, GET IT. Absolutely loved the gameplay. The only thing I recommend is not getting the season pass, as after the first DLC, the enemies become spongey as fuck.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Okay I don't remember this happening to me on the PS4.

But on PC I got to the third shrine in the first map (not tutorial or the tutorial building) where you go through a bunch of buildings. Everything is one shooting me lol...

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
so...what's the best weapons and gear?...katana?

Main difference is play style, choose the weapons you like to play best. Then choose a secondary weapon which fills the holes of your primary weapon. Beyond that, best weapons and gear is "one with bigger numbers".

I prefer sword as the primary weapon.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Main difference is play style, choose the weapons you like to play best. Then choose a secondary weapon which fills the holes of your primary weapon. Beyond that, best weapons and gear is "one with bigger numbers".

I prefer sword as the primary weapon.

so it's not like the Souls games where certain weapons are considered to be really powerful and scale well...

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
so it's not like the Souls games where certain weapons are considered to be really powerful and scale well...

Right, I played around 20-30h of game on console and can't really say how it goes into endgame. Somebody else has to answer that. But I did get the idea that your stat- and skill point allocation was much more important than weapon of choice. And stats on your items, like items can have several randomized stats on them with different values. And... lots of things. Chosen weapon category is trivial in face of all that.

Your own skill is what really determines how you fare.

Last edited:

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Right, I played around 20-30h of game on console and can't really say how it goes into endgame. Somebody else has to answer that. But I did get the idea that your stat- and skill point allocation was much more important than weapon of choice. And stats on your items, like items can have several randomized stats on them with different values. And... lots of things. Chosen weapon category is trivial in face of all that.

Your own skill is what really determines how you fare.

I'd say builds aren't really all that important in the first play through. You are going to be getting so many loot drops (both weapons and armor) in increasing and varied levels throughout the game, that you'll be changing constantly. It's when you start to work through all the next difficulties that actual builds start to become important.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to grasp all the concepts/mechanics/stats in Nioh and I feel kinda overwhelmed.There is way more stuff here than in Souls games,damn...

Meccs

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There is no Exit button in the main menu on PC. You have to close the window to end the game lol And there is no support for 16:10 not even with letter boxes. I am playing on my TV anyway but still...

UncleMeat

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who hasn't played this yet, GET IT. Absolutely loved the gameplay. The only thing I recommend is not getting the season pass, as after the first DLC, the enemies become spongey as fuck.

That's too bad. I just started playing again after a long layoff and am loving it all over again. I was going to finish way of the strong and then get the season pass but I guess I'll wait until it goes on sale.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Every time I leave the game it resets me to previous location and status. Example once I died and got my spirit back. Then I played for another 15 minutes. Quit and come back At shrine and no spirit, have to pick it up again.

Fries

Oct 25, 2017
There is no Exit button in the main menu on PC. You have to close the window to end the game lol And there is no support for 16:10 not even with letter boxes. I am playing on my TV anyway but still...
You gotta enter the options or whatever the last option is, it's the Quit option.