• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, yeah I really need to get over the hoarding habit. I usually don't sell stuff in games 'just in case'.

For armor I've been trying to keep the weight down to B agility but other than that I just equip whatever parts I get that have a higher defense multiplier and some abilities. So I'm switching out parts all the time basically.

there's really no need for that. Things will 3-4 shot you even if you've tip top armor anyway. You can most certainly only stop to equip better armor/weps at the end of every main level or so.

And yeah, any loot that aint purple/green is basically worthless (and even most that are of those shades also are trash), so...eh.

A piece of gear having a unique trait, such as onmiyo cast speed up on a hat, is much more important than whether its stats are the highest they can be at the moment.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
It turns out they don't conflict. I got everlasting ki and shorten recovery time (out of ki) on the same item using tempering. For some reason I thought that didn't work on ethereal items, but I guess I was wrong. This seems much less tedious than reforging; wish I had known about it sooner.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does life leech thing stack with carnage and also how does it work when you have a LV build with only 1 HP?

AL_

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't found a viable dual sword drop in like 20 levels. I put a lot of skill points in the beginning and got a better regular sword with nice perks and I haven't seen a dual sword candidate to replace that one. In the same boat with Odachi. I know it doesn't fully matter what weapon you use but I'd prefer to use those two. Guess it'll take time. Been playing a bunch of coop since I'm terrible at these types of games but absolutely love the idea of them. Shout out to all the people carrying me

Edit: guess I should mention I'm level 41. When can I expect rarer items dropping?

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I haven't found a viable dual sword drop in like 20 levels. I put a lot of skill points in the beginning and got a better regular sword with nice perks and I haven't seen a dual sword candidate to replace that one. In the same boat with Odachi. I know it doesn't fully matter what weapon you use but I'd prefer to use those two. Guess it'll take time. Been playing a bunch of coop since I'm terrible at these types of games but absolutely love the idea of them. Shout out to all the people carrying me

Edit: guess I should mention I'm level 41. When can I expect rarer items dropping?
Make sure you switch out your blessing for the weapon drop one. The more Komoda's that you find the higher the blessings go up.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's really no need for that. Things will 3-4 shot you even if you've tip top armor anyway. You can most certainly only stop to equip better armor/weps at the end of every main level or so.

And yeah, any loot that aint purple/green is basically worthless (and even most that are of those shades also are trash), so...eh.

A piece of gear having a unique trait, such as onmiyo cast speed up on a hat, is much more important than whether its stats are the highest they can be at the moment.

Awesome, thanks for this. Adjusted my armor set up and took traits into account.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

That's random loot drops for you. I use Odachi and Tonfas on my build and I had zero drops for either weapon two missions in a row. Then in the following one I got six or seven of each weapon and replaced both with better ones.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can also try crafting or soul matching. If you had a viable one 20 levels ago and kept it, just soul match it with a high level one (even the basic crafted one) for a large level boost and retain your good weapon's base stats and get a large power boost.. One of the more practical uses of the crafting system at lower levels when you're levelling so fast it's not really all that worth crafting too much.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I need usable armour. The up and down arrows mean nothing when every item I get I can't use the modifiers.
Also what does it mean when my KI bar flashes red, yet has stamina in it, and I can't do much.
Then what gives that enemies can have 0 KI, flashing red, and do power moves.

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
Man

Fuck these dlc bosses with their asshat multiple LW's.

Solution for Sanada was to legit kusari blend him before he could ever summon his flying bullshit.

Is weird how the level design in these dlc areas is so vastly superior to almost everything in the base game, and yet TN felt the need to fuck around with the bosses like this. Guess its related with having to use human models for them. (but then, CentiDate was one-shot city anyway, so who knows what the hell they were actually thinking)

You can also try crafting or soul matching. If you had a viable one 20 levels ago and kept it, just soul match it with a high level one (even the basic crafted one) for a large level boost and retain your good weapon's base stats and get a large power boost.. One of the more practical uses of the crafting system at lower levels when you're levelling so fast it's not really all that worth crafting too much.

I dunno if they've changed the prices, but if soul matching remains at +- the same cost that it was Back in The Day before the dlcs came out, it is so hideously expensive for what you get that you're better off just crafting some stopgap weapon at your current level.

I need usable armour. The up and down arrows mean nothing when every item I get I can't use the modifiers.
Also what does it mean when my KI bar flashes red, yet has stamina in it, and I can't do much.
Then what gives that enemies can have 0 KI, flashing red, and do power moves.

on humans:
red ki bar means that they'll be put in a stunned state if hit again while its red, and cant use big stamina attacks.
on yokai and bosses:
red ki bar means that every attack they receive will interrupt them. Their regular attacks are not constrained by ki.

On william:
red ki means "back the fuck away or die".

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if they've changed the prices, but if soul matching remains at +- the same cost that it was Back in The Day before the dlcs came out, it is so hideously expensive for what you get that you're better off just crafting some stopgap weapon at your current level.

It didn't seem too bad when I did it last, at least on weapons, however that was not 20 levels worth, so that might be the case. IIRC armor was pretty expensive though.

It doesn't really hurt that I've barely had anything to spend money or crafting materials.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
NVM that wasn't my question. I think its KI break for me, hence why I have KI (over 50 when I saw this happened) and it flashed red. While the enemy can do moves with 0 KI.

How important is parry? Because in this game I am complete poop at it. I was parry king in DS1 though XD

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
How important is parry? Because in this game I am complete poop at it. I was parry king in DS1 though XD
not very. can completely break some weapon instructors and human enemies, but, unless you using, say, the unarmed parry with some buffs or the dual swords footstab parry, you're best off forgetting that it exists.

Timing's too goddamn finicky.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but think they could have handled drowning better, visually. I can see why the water's been used like that from a level design perspective, but just having you fall in with no visual effect, struggling animation or slowed movement - falling straight down like the water's not even there - always looks really weird.

Maybe something like Dragon's Dogma's leeches would have worked better - if they played a similarly short animation of them devouring your character and pulling him under instead of just falling through the water; or something similar which provided a quick water-based death that didn't look as weird as falling through it with no resistance or even much of a splash. It'd also conflict less with the swimming shown in cutscenes, but that's a lesser concern.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017

If you can't find something better then just soul match your old weapon up to your current level. It may seem counter-intuitive to use the same piece of gear for so long, but that's just the way Nioh is. I was using essentially the same set of equipment for three difficulty levels until just today when I finally got to the end of one of the most soul crushing grinds I've ever experienced in a video game and completed an endgame kit to surpass it. I doubt I'm ever going to touch my equipment outside of soul matching and maybe the accessories ever again.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
not very. can completely break some weapon instructors and human enemies, but, unless you using, say, the unarmed parry with some buffs or the dual swords footstab parry, you're best off forgetting that it exists.

Timing's too goddamn finicky.

Parry is amazing vs any humans, especially if you're using the DS skill. They'll automatically fall and you can backstab them for many delicious damage.

For those of you have been avoiding the clan "battles", check it out because some of the clan benefits can be a huge boon. You don't have to pvp to enjoy the buffs.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
Parry is amazing vs any humans, especially if you're using the DS skill. They'll automatically fall and you can backstab them for many delicious damage.

For those of you have been avoiding the clan "battles", check it out because some of the clan benefits can be a huge boon. You don't have to pvp to enjoy the buffs.
The problem with parrying is that against the faster weapons like tonfas, dual blades and swords, and even some spear and kusarigama attacks the timing is such that you have to initiate the parry before the attack has even started, so even if you do it right it's a gamble. Against an actual human opponent you could maybe try to guess what they're thinking, but when fighting AI you're literally playing a guessing game against a random number generator, which is not a situation most people are going to want to put themselves in.

Meccs

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
"Silver Mine Writhes" mission was pretty small but well designed imho. I really liked it. I hope this keeps up. I would like to see a few brighter areas though. Everything is so damn dark.
I also played a few coop missions and it was ok-ish. A lot of speed running through the level as fast as possible. I hate that. I would have preferred a system similar to DS where you just fight the boss.

I hate that I have to buy arrows and bullets. They should refill after each mission :/

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with parrying is that against the faster weapons like tonfas, dual blades and swords, and even some spear and kusarigama attacks the timing is such that you have to initiate the parry before the attack has even started, so even if you do it right it's a gamble. Against an actual human opponent you could maybe try to guess what they're thinking, but when fighting AI you're literally playing a guessing game against a random number generator, which is not a situation most people are going to want to put themselves in.
Can't say I agree with this as a blanket statement. When I was learning the timing for the Backwave, I came to the conclusion that reactive parrying is quite possible for all weapons and all stances. Though some of the parrying moves, like the one on the spear and the ones on the Dual Swords other than Shrike have different timings, which can easily throw one off.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

Not really, you can actually predict the combos used by enemies and parry their second or third strike pretty consistently.

"Silver Mine Writhes" mission was pretty small but well designed imho. I really liked it. I hope this keeps up. I would like to see a few brighter areas though. Everything is so damn dark.
I also played a few coop missions and it was ok-ish. A lot of speed running through the level as fast as possible. I hate that. I would have preferred a system similar to DS where you just fight the boss.

I hate that I have to buy arrows and bullets. They should refill after each mission :/

You can actually toggle it to auto refill the ammo from your warehouse after each mission. It's in the options.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
What does it mean when a Special Effect on equipment is Yellow instead of White?

Coloured numbers indicate the rarity of the stats the ability gives, while the colour on the ability itself is the rarity of the specific ability. Yellow is uncommon, white is common.

EDIT: rarities are white (common) < yellow (uncommon) < blue (rare) < purple (exotic) < green (divine) < orange (ethereal). The last two are only available after you finish the main game (so NG+ onwards).

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
What does it mean when a Special Effect on equipment is Yellow instead of White?
The specials have their own rarity ratings just as the items do and the color coding is the same. Some are far more rare than others and some cannot spawn on items that are below a certain rarity.
EDIT: rarities are white (common) < yellow (uncommon) < blue (rare) < purple (exotic) < green (divine) < orange (ethereal). The last two are only available after you finish the main game (so NG+ onwards).
Ethereals are only available once you unlock Way of the Wise and only drop when playing on that or Way of the Nioh or in their Abyss equivalent floors.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was having more fun with katana and the chain on PS4 playthrough than Axe and Odachi now. Is a shame, because usually big weapons are more fun to use in DS than other kind of weapon.

I might switch to dual katanas and tonfas.

NVM that wasn't my question. I think its KI break for me, hence why I have KI (over 50 when I saw this happened) and it flashed red. While the enemy can do moves with 0 KI.

Is a valid tactic but is harder to pull off that in DS, for example, specially for certain parry moves (I feel some parry movves has more strict timing than others), but is not necesary, some weapon don't even have proper parry moves.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Coloured numbers indicate the rarity of the stats the ability gives, while the colour on the ability itself is the rarity of the specific ability. Yellow is uncommon, white is common.

IIRC those effects are uncommon, blues are rare etc. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

The specials have their own rarity ratings just as the items do and the color coding is the same. Some are far more rare than others and some cannot spawn on items that are below a certain rarity.

Ethereals are only available once you unlock Way of the Wise and only drop when playing on that or Way of the Nioh or in their Abyss equivalent floors.
I knew about rarity with equipment but didn't think it also applies to special effects. Thanks!

Yorxor

Oct 27, 2017
Munich, Germany
So yeah, the sloth talisman and onmyo magic in general is pretty good, I guess.

Last night I destroyed the spider lady (didn't even catch her name, she was gone so fast) in record time by utilising the combined power of a flame talisman, a ninja power pill, the glorious sloth talisman and after her health dropped below half, rounding the whole thing off with a living weapon call. :-/

The fight didn't last 20 seconds and I almost feel a bit bad for cheesing it to the max, but it was sooo nice. Though I still don't know if she is just one of the easiest bosses of the game, or if she _can_ be dangerous if she has a bit more time to actually do something.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Any tips on a good Odachi build?

Three fully charged "Moonlit Snow" move is your biggest burst dmg move. Hold down the attack button to charge each swings. If you get the enemy in a "Confusion" state, and position yourself in the right spot (coughbehindcough) it would completely destroy them.

"Crashing Waves" is god-like in breaking enemy's ki, it's the one where you shoulder barge. I don't actually know if it's good, but "Charging Bull" is so goddamn satisfying to break human enemy's guard with because you would automatically knock them down if the hit depletes their ki.

"Tiger's Blade" is a risky move where you vault over enemies with your sword because of the slow recovery but it does alot of build-up damage for debuffing enemies and against yokai you would certainly break their horns.

Joker13

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
this game's boss fights are just too fucking brutal

i am stuck at the
second boss, the spider lady

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, the sloth talisman and onmyo magic in general is pretty good, I guess.

Last night I destroyed the spider lady (didn't even catch her name, she was gone so fast) in record time by utilising the combined power of a flame talisman, a ninja power pill, the glorious sloth talisman and after her health dropped below half, rounding the whole thing off with a living weapon call. :-/

The fight didn't last 20 seconds and I almost feel a bit bad for cheesing it to the max, but it was sooo nice. Though I still don't know if she is just one of the easiest bosses of the game, or if she _can_ be dangerous if she has a bit more time to actually do something.

she can one-shot a low armor player with her initial charge, has several paralyzing moves and is able to regen health, so yeah, kinda.
Not really, you can actually predict the combos used by enemies and parry their second or third strike pretty consistently.
I'd like to see a dude consistently parrying low stance quick strikes from sword/dual sword with the spear >__>

Yorxor

Oct 27, 2017
Munich, Germany
If you mean who Mechaplum said, she's the hardest boss in the main game IMO. Like, actually.

I totally disagree with that – unless by "main game" you mean main missions only.

I personally had _a lot_ more problems with both Muneshige and the bridge guarding, buffed up axe dude. I generally am able to deal with all the outlandish monster type yokai enemies far better than some of the "normal" human bosses, but maybe that's just weird old me.

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I totally disagree with that – unless by "main game" you mean main missions only.

I personally had _a lot_ more problems with both Muneshige and the bridge guarding, buffed up axe dude. I generally am able to deal with all the outlandish monster type yokai enemies far better than some of the "normal" human bosses, but maybe that's just weird old me.

Bridge guy I just pushed off the edge without even fighting :D

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Well I am done with this game.

It crashes at same spot in a main mission.

This probably won't work for a crash tied to a specific place as opposed to something more general, but I found that the frequent crashes I got after the most recent update were fixed by putting both the launcher and game exe into Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried that over and over, didn't work for me. He always just "wobbled" a bit at the edge and no matter how many more attacks I threw his way never fell down. :-(

I can't remember exactly if this was the strat I used, but I have used this on many enemies many times - just activate LW when they're near the edge. The animation has blowback, lol.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm gradually seeing fewer and fewer reasons to ever switch off of my Odachi. It's got the reach, it's not too slow, and it hits hard, so it just feels good in all situations.

I have Tonfas too if I want a change of pace but I rarely take them out because Odachi is king.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
The LW activation is the only way I've been able to push larger yokai off ledges as well - I had just accepted that it wasn't possible for them to fall, then was surprised by it just shunting them into the abyss.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I got past it by "sniping" the thing causing it to come to me instead.

if you've already verified file integrity, updated drivers and allathat jazz and the problem persists, i'd say that warrants a refund.

Too late for that as this is happening in the third region. XD I spent a lot of time CoOping with randoms. Best part about this game TBH.

This probably won't work for a crash tied to a specific place as opposed to something more general, but I found that the frequent crashes I got after the most recent update were fixed by putting both the launcher and game exe into Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Will try.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017

AL_

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you switch out your blessing for the weapon drop one. The more Komoda's that you find the higher the blessings go up.
Good call thank you. I always leave it on the elixir cause I'm afraid of running out by the time I get to the boss lol

I def have done that since with Way of the West armor pieces. I did notice my helmet takes about 80k+ of gold now though. Do you keep certain weapons for soul matching later just in case?

If you can't find something better then just soul match your old weapon up to your current level. It may seem counter-intuitive to use the same piece of gear for so long, but that's just the way Nioh is. I was using essentially the same set of equipment for three difficulty levels until just today when I finally got to the end of one of the most soul crushing grinds I've ever experienced in a video game and completed an endgame kit to surpass it. I doubt I'm ever going to touch my equipment outside of soul matching and maybe the accessories ever again.
Oh wow haha 3 difficulty levels as in separate NG+ runs? I will definitely keep this in mind now.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I can't think of a game this deep that I've played in a while. So many systems, I love it. Coop with randoms is fun and hilarious at the same time too.

This lovely stranger helped me thru a whole level that I was fresh to. I was still finding things and roaming around figuring out where to go but this dual sword beast always had my back. We made it to right before the boss and were high fiving, bowing, and whistling in anticipation...until I accidentally bumped her off the dock and she fell into the water ;_;