• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Not yet, but he only ever had a regular presence on GAF last June (almost half of his 50 posts were made that month, in fact) and hasn't so much as logged into his account since late September. I'm sure he'll find his way here eventually.

That thread about the FAR modification not working on pirated copies of Nier Automata probably didn't help, people were calling him a cunt in that thread.

Crevox

Nov 2, 2017
Played all night on a gtx 1080 and 4790k, locked 1080p 60 FPS besides the very specific data streaming spots where it stutters for less than a second.

Tried 4k with medium shadows and I linger around 45-60. Not quite enough. Need a ti, titan, or SLI bits for that I guess.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not yet, but he only ever had a regular presence on GAF last June (almost half of his 50 posts were made that month, in fact) and hasn't so much as logged into his account since late September. I'm sure he'll find his way here eventually.

I think he already has an account here JaseC

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i7-4771 and 970, 1080p locked 60fps except the occasional transitions when a bunch of stuff loads. High shadows and dynamic reflections but no ambient occlusion.

I could probably tinker with it and make it look prettier, but I'm really happy with the performance.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Um, I haven't been paying attention, did he tell people he was planning on doing something in one of the recent Nioh threads?

I don't personally know the guy, but to me, all of the fixes he's done were out of curiosity and personal investment regarding games he was interested in at the time. If he doesn't care, he probably won't fix it, nor should we expect him to automatically (hours/days of work for free) if we're not happy with certain aspects of a port. I think he's kinda stepped back from that. That last thing I remember that he had (fan) involvement in was Nier's AO/shadow resolution, which he then sent to Kaldaien for his fix, but only 'cause he liked Nier and wanted a higher quality experience (the AO/shadows or whatever weren't broken, just low res). 'Half past done' = he's explicitly, in at least one text article for PC Gamer, called out TK (or was it namco regarding tales of symphonia???) about the quality of their ports.

I'm not saying Durante owes people a fix...I said if he's moved on to other things then so be it...he's done a lot of good work so if he's not up for it then good luck...all I'm saying is that I wish he would tell the community one way or the other...meaning if he has no plans on working on Nioh to say that so people don't get their hopes up

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Does it change the in-game icons from Xbox to PS? Not a big deal if it doesn't but always nice to have a game do that for PC depending on controller.
No PS buttons from what I can see. Looks like it uses Steam Controller icons instead of Xbox icons, at least when using a PS4 pad through Steam.

Here's a quick comparison of the shadow quality setting while standing next to a light source.
nioh_shadow_high_by_realghostvids-dbt3sw8.jpg

nioh_shadow_medium_by_realghostvids-dbt3swd.jpg

nioh_shadow_low_by_realghostvids-dbt3swl.jpg

nioh_shadow_off_by_realghostvids-dbt3swr.jpg

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not saying Durante owes people a fix...I said if he's moved on to other things then so be it...he's done a lot of good work so if he's not up for it then good luck...all I'm saying is that I wish he would tell the community one way or the other...meaning if he has no plans on working on Nioh to say that so people don't get their hopes up

I wouldn't expect an announcement on every game he's not interested in working on.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing, DS4 works well without any issues.

So far seems really smooth on my PC.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
And yet that is exactly what you are saying. He doesn't need to do that and it isn't his job to do so. He can do whatever.

I'd suggest, if you do not like the state of the game as it is, do not buy it. If you want to wait on a modder to provide something that improves the game, cool, go ahead and wait, but there's certainly no justification for complaining on whether they "tell the community" anything just for your peace of mind.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wouldn't expect an announcement on every game he's not interested in working on.

stop exaggerating...you know that there are very few games which require major work like this (on the PC side)...all of them are usually from Japanese developers and involve Souls type of gameplay...this is the type of game he would normally be interested in fixing...like I said he doesn't have to do anything but the fact that he was active in the Nioh PC thread (at least over at Gaf) right up until the game's release and then all of a sudden he vanishes is strange...all I'm saying is that it would be nice if he just stated his intentions one way or the other...by not saying anything he just invites speculation and expectations

and it's not even about Durante...I would hope someone in the PC community would release a 3rd party tool similar to DSFix...there was already 1 mouse fix posted in this thread...either way I'm 100% sure that someone will come up with one be it Durante, the guy who fixed NieR or someone else

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
The fact that he was active in the Nioh PC thread (at least over at Gaf) right up until the game's release and then all of a sudden he vanishes is strange...all I'm saying is that it would be nice if he just stated his intentions one way or the other...by not saying anything he just invites speculation and expectations.

What is this? Dude just lay off.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
No PS buttons from what I can see. Looks like it uses Steam Controller icons instead of Xbox icons, at least when using a PS4 pad through Steam.

Here's a quick comparison of the shadow quality setting while standing next to a light source.
It seems that medium is the way to go if you need that extra performance. From what I've read, shadows is one of the most demanding settings here.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I see no difference between High and Medium.
Which makes me susspect even more that High just has stupid shadow resolution and it's an option that shouldn't even exist.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
i7-7700k 4.20ghz
32 gbs DDR4
1080ti
Everything maxed out, running at 2k res

Ran through the first chapter, locked at 60fps, no issues what so ever. First time running the game gave me the configuration glitch some people are getting, the launch tool not saving the resolution and the window/fullscreen option, but quitting the game and simply resetting the resolution fixed the issue.

Expected to run into fps drops when using the kodama shrines (thats when the resolution would hit rock bottom, for some reason, on the PS4 version) but nothing.

Really happy with this port, I'm 3 for 3 so far (this, Attack on Titan and Berserk), as far as Tecmo Koei PC ports go.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Everytime I see people mentioning 2k I have to wonder if they are really talking about a resolution with roughly 2k vertical lines (like 1080p) or 1440p that for some reason is sometimes called that.

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
Gtx 780m and its running the game between 40-60 depending the areas starting area took some dips to the 30s but still better than expected.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I do plan to play Nioh, but I have absolutely no plans to do any work on it. I have more than enough to do, and honestly, as far my personal playing of the game is concerned, the port doesn't really have any large issues.

Oct 28, 2017
How game runs after that? I mean its already not very well optimized, i don't wanna to stress it further by compressing-decompressing routine =)

I just did it and went from consistent 60fps down to 45-50fps. I'm undoing the compression right now. Baffled by how people say there is no performance impact then I do it and this happens. I'm on an SSD with 16GB RAM/ i7 8600k so it's definitely not a spec issue.

Edit: Finished the uncompression and my performance is still tanked compared to what it was just last night. Had to restart my computer to fix it. Now I'm wondering if I just restarted PC after compressing if it would still have performed worse.

Last edited:

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone's having a black screen issue after the KT logo screen shows up, it's due to your video codecs (usually from a pack like CCCP) breaking the opening cutscenes. Specifically, DirectVobSub. You can either uninstall or disable and it should fix the game.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
The game is running good for me except sometimes it starts to run in slowmo mode, like it's skipping every other frame.
Also the trigger of my controller stopped to work for a few times.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I see people mentioning 2k I have to wonder if they are really talking about a resolution with roughly 2k vertical lines (like 1080p) or 1440p that for some reason is sometimes called that.

2K is the name most people give to 2560x1440p (Rounds down to 2)
4K is the name most people give to 3840x2160p (Rounds up to 4)

It doesn't make any sense but yolo

EDIT:

See below for a more accurate explanation

Last edited:

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
2K is the name most people give to 2560x1440p (Rounds down to 2)
4K is the name most people give to 3840x2160p (Rounds up to 4)

It doesn't make any sense but yolo

That's not it at all - 4K is 4x1080p in terms of pixel count. 2K is a misnomer, since 1440p is around 1.78x1080p in pixel count, or rounded up to 2x.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I'm debating whether dialing back shadows or not. When there are many Oni smoke puddles on screen there's slowdown sometimes that wasn't there on the Pro.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Looks like it's running fine for me

i7-3770, 16GB Ram, 1060 6GB

Have it set to
High Textures
Medium Shadows
60 FPS
1080P

Turned off
Motion Blur
Dynamic Reflection
some other shit I forgot the name of.

Looks good to me. Held the 60 from what I have played.
With only a slight dip when I went outside to the rain that then went right back to 60 and held it.
So guessing it was more related to loading than actual performance.

I will say the pre-game set-up is a bit odd.
I had to go back to it. Since it didn't apply the settings the first time.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
I just did it and went from consistent 60fps down to 45-50fps. I'm undoing the compression right now. Baffled by how people say there is no performance impact then I do it and this happens. I'm on an SSD with 16GB RAM/ i7 8600k so it's definitely not a spec issue.

Edit: Finished the uncompression and my performance is still tanked compared to what it was just last night. Had to restart my computer to fix it. Now I'm wondering if I just restarted PC after compressing if it would still have performed worse.
Time to retry :-P

Yorxor

Oct 27, 2017
Munich, Germany
Anyone else having the problem that the camera control (right analog stick) is lagging massively for a short moment? I have that regularly and I don't really think my Bluetooth DS4 or InputMapper are at fault here, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, can someone with thread creation privileges (i.e. not me) maybe create an OT for Nioh on Era? Now that the PC version is out, I think there might be new interest to discuss the game itself.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
I have that regularly and I don't really think my Bluetooth DS4 or InputMapper are at fault here, but I'm not 100% sure.
You mean official ds4 dongle? I have plain bluetooth + ds4 (pro) and it works perfectly with Steam DS4 support.
PS - also i think that InputMapper is seriously outdated, better use this fork of DS4Windows if you don't want Steam DS4 support for some reason - https://github.com/Ryochan7/DS4Windows/releases

Yorxor

Oct 27, 2017
Munich, Germany
You mean official ds4 dongle? I have plain bluetooth + ds4 (pro) and it works perfectly with Steam DS4 support.
PS - also i think that InputMapper is seriously outdated, better use this fork of DS4Windows if you don't want Steam DS4 support for some reason - https://github.com/Ryochan7/DS4Windows/releases

No, I use my DS4 with a regular old bluetooth USB stick and InputMapper. My games (Steam or otherwise) see the DS4 as a standard Windows/Xbox gamepad, so I also just get the standard A/B/X/Y button prompts. I have done that for years and I'm quite happy with that setup. I actually used DS4Windows at the beginning, but switched to InputMapper because it works better in my opinion – especially the way you can create complex macros.

I might try to connect my DS4 via USB for Nioh and see if I still have those weird laggy camera control moments.