• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah something is very wrong.

Standing at the second shrine, and at 1080p "Max" settings in windowed mode, I'm getting a fluctuating 50-55 FPS with the following specs:
i5 4670k
GTX 1080
32gb RAM
Windows 10

GPU sitting at 50% utilization and CPU at around 60% utilization.

Edit: While there's still definitely some weird fluctuations going on, disabling fullscreen optimizations and then imposing a 60fps framerate cap with RTSS have led to drastically more consistent 16.67 ms frametimes.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
It seems like some people are getting abnormal performance limitations, hopefully that will be figured out.

Runs at 60fps 1440p max settings, there's an occasional stutter here and there if you run fast when the game is streaming stuff, this appears to be a limitation of the engine more than anything since this happened as well on PS4. New players probably won't notice it since they're going to play at a much slower pace than me.

Having played 120h+ on PS4 Pro I'm quite surprised at the results. The resolution difference is staggering. I'm gonna bet that even on the Pro this game stays at 1080p a very little amount of time, at least on the initial area (which due to rain, is probably one of the most demanding ones of the game btw)
According to DF, that's correct.

I was really surprised to learn that the game (in 60 FPS mode) can apparently drop down all the way to 720p (though only rarely). I didn't know that there was any game that did this on PS4 Pro.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like Nioh should support Steam Controller (but it don't?). Also supports DS4 natively (without playstation button prompts, of course, mods please?)

jJEsN44.png

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Er, the game isn't saving my changes in the configuration window. It always starts in windowed 720p.

edit: The settings took after I changed some settings in-game, then re-did the settings in the initial settings window. Weird.

Shari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finished my write-up of my time with the port. My impressions, thoughts, and testing on 3 different PC setups are all included.
http://www.theouterhaven.net/2017/11/hows-nioh-complete-edition-pc-port/

YouTube Playlist with all the videos I recorded. Many of you have already seen those.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v9JJAf6l4g&list=PLOXdTVuGQTuTxN0wUt-K2t5jkqXFjxski

All that work is nice. I dont think your 3 tiers of PC are anything realistic or actually different enough to make for good examples.

Calling low tier pc a machine with a 1060 it's almost like gpu company marketing lol.

All in all great work, thanks for the article.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Edit: While there's still definitely some weird fluctuations going on, disabling fullscreen optimizations and then imposing a 60fps framerate cap with RTSS have led to drastically more consistent 16.67 ms frametimes.

Maybe reset my PC and start a new OS maybe. I can't buy a new CPU and just bought this 1060 6GB. I don't have this issue in other games. Could it be a power issue? I mean its weird when cahnging settings = same results.

Also what do you mean by this? disabling fullscreen optimizations

About to give up and go play TW3 (le sigh). Just come back to nioh in like 3 years when I can afford a new PC.

Tried 900 resolution for kicks...same results. So what is so screwed up with this TK game and my PC? I can play TW3 at high with steady 60 (I lock it there it goes over uncapped). Both metro's maxed.

Oh but a game that looks like its between PS3 and PS4 can't run well on my pc?

(I am frustrated and feel like I can't do anything - which is probably true).

Would reformatting my PC even help?

Last edited:

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
All that work is nice. I dont think your 3 tiers of PC are anything realistic or actually different enough to make for good examples.

Calling low tier pc a machine with a 1060 it's almost like gpu company marketing lol.

All in all great work, thanks for the article.

true, but in my case, it's the lowest card I own. I tend to sell them off as soon as they starting showing their age. I really need to pick up an AMD card as well.

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
Performance is much much better once you leave the prologue area. From 720p in order to maintain 60fps to 900p and everything maxed out + driver FXAA and AFx16. I will try 1080p.

GTX 960, i5 6600 and 8GB RAM.

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
Played a few minutes. Stable 1080p@60fps and working nicely with DS4 without any 3rd party app.

Ryzen 1700 + RX 580 8GB

Launcher settings didn´t work until I opened the game, changed some settings inside game and then using the launcher.

PD: Another one praising for a 21:9 patch

Last edited:

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
Besides the tutorial crash which can be reliably recreated, I ran into 2 random crashes on the island, all during fighting.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Are you new to steam? PS4 controller is supported natively. You just have to go into Big Picture setting. How do people not know this and claim to play PC games!?

Um, no. I am not new to steam and I use Big Picture mode exclusively. If it didn't work, it didn't work. Would you like some proof? You are also aware that the DS4 support is iffy AF.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Crashes on launch for me, no matter what settings I use in the launcher (that don't stick after the fact either way). Feel like I've tried everything at this point.

This sucks.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
PCGamer: A sloppy port mars Nioh's opening hours

If you don't have a controller, don't buy Nioh...it doesn't recognize the mouse and the keyboard controls are unworkable...the game sometimes runs as well as I'd expect on my GTX 970, Intel i5-4670K 4x3.4GHz CPU, 8GB RAM machine, and sometimes does not...last night the opening level suffered from slowdown all over the place, and I couldn't figure out why...today , however, on the second level it runs at a perfectly steady 60 frames per second...your framerate choices are 30 or 60, you can't go beyond that yet

this is all for a game that, by modern standards, doesn't look amazing...I find myself happy to put up with the oddly aged visuals because Nioh does interesting things with its combat, but the gloomy unflashy visuals only increase my expectation for a solid framerate...

http://www.pcgamer.com/a-sloppy-port-mars-niohs-opening-hours/

SHAQ

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, Florida
Getting random crashes all over the place. Just letting the game idle will crash, as I'm writing this... it has crashed.

Other than that, having fun.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
According to DF, that's correct.

I was really surprised to learn that the game (in 60 FPS mode) can apparently drop down all the way to 720p (though only rarely). I didn't know that there was any game that did this on PS4 Pro.

I've played more than 100 hours on ps4 pro in 60fps.
It is easily noticeable that resolution is way below 1080p. And not just that, there were some really, really bad framedrops...like N64 levels bad.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wait so those of us with a 1080ti are having issues 4K 60fps? or am I reading things wrong today? I'm currently downloading it now!

Ryousuke

Oct 25, 2017
Any SLI support or bits? I'm eager to get home and try it on my 1080(s).

No SLI support no, I haven't found any bits that could help yet. 1080 too here. I'm getting 40 fps at 4K most of the time with only one card during the intro. It gets better after that.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Should be locked 60 FPS. My 1080 does 60 FPS with ~70% GPU use (a metric which goes up to potentially 120% -- yes it's confusing).
Wait a sec, gpu utilisation from Afterburner/RTSS or from some in game metric?
120%? Like, due to variable clocks / Boost? Or 120% because of better per unit utilisation(say nominal 99% in AAA game X vs. nominal 99% in fur mark)?

Oct 25, 2017
My i5 2400 and GTX 960 are going to struggle.

I should get a better experience than the PS4, but it doesn't look like that will be the case.
I'll give it a go, and just refund if it's bad.

Crevox

Nov 2, 2017
No SLI support no, I haven't found any bits that could help yet. 1080 too here. I'm getting 40 fps at 4K most of the time with only one card.

About what I expected then. Koei Tecmo ports don't seem to have SLI support usually.

I might have to go the 1440p route, though hoping someone finds some working bits.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else hit a bug where, after dying, the game becomes unable to run any faster than 50 fps/20 ms frametime? Still in the tutorial area.

Crevox

Nov 2, 2017
Anybody else hit a bug where, after dying, the game becomes unable to run any faster than 50 fps/20 ms frametime? Still in the tutorial area.

I've heard the tutorial area has much worse performance than most of the game due to the rain. Might just have to slog through that at the minimum.

LazyPanda

Oct 30, 2017
I'm torn now between supporting an effort to bring this game to PC and my dislike for poorly handled PC ports.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Hoping it's not too bad for me when I try it later today or tomorrow. Especially since my walmart had the base PS4 game for $20
Just need 60FPS and 1080p nothing else

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
I recorded a video for those asking about PCs below minimum requirements:

Hardware:
GTX 960 overclocked at 1518MHz
Intel i5 6600 stock
8GB DDR4 at 2133MHz

Game Settings at 00:49:
Screen Resolution: 1920x1080
Rendering Resolution: High
Display Mode: Full Screen
Frame Rate Cap: 60fps
Shadows: Medium Quality
Camera Motion Blur: On
Dynamic Reflections: Off
Ambient Occlusion: Off

Extra:
FXAA and AFx16 forced via NVIDIA Driver.

Shari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Durante I'm not going to ask for any fix or whatever from you but if you're curious and you look at it, I would very much like to know what's possible and what's not in terms of modding for this game, and I'm talking mainly about graphic/rendering options here.

Also general information about the AA and the AO would be nice to know.

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
I read that the only layout is for Steam controller (no X360 layout), but with no mouse support, how does Steam controller fair in general? Just like on console?