• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
canada

Having finished the beta I can safely say that Nioh 2 is a better Nioh in every regard. The combat, as seen by the video above, has a high skill ceiling and players can really express themselves with how they use Nioh 2s various systems. The level design is an extremely fun linear interconnecting maze. The music is a massive step above Nioh. Game has a fun and enjoyable art style, especially with Yokai designs which range from cute to terrifying.

The RPG mechanics are my favorite RPG mechanics in any RPG ever. That is because like Nioh, Nioh 2 encourages players to create as broken a build as possible while nerfing various abilities and items that were too trivial (like my infinite kisarigama combos that broke all human enemies or sloth talismans). Proficiency has become a major focus in 2 and all for the better as it lets us level up our stats more liberally while still allowing us to upgrade omnyo and ninjutsu. Building YOUR character is now a reality. While we could craft William into so many amazing different builds, there has been so many additions to skills that the breadth of builds possible is insane.

Additions like Yokai forms, burst counters, and soul cores all play so wonderfully into the ither systems. It feels so natural. I will argue burst counters need a bit of a buff but that can be done before release.

Theres just so much to love about Nioh 2 and itd easily be GOTY2020 if not for Destroy All Humans Remake

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't know, I feel like Ni-Oh just lacks the strong presentation of From Software games. The art direction and lore isn't on the level of Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I really liked what I saw from the beta. Any word on a PC version? The first had a staggered release right? Just neither the performance or graphics mode on a PS4 pro look or feel all that great to me. PC version of the first spoiled I guess.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I don't know, I feel like Ni-Oh just lacks the strong presentation of From Software games. The art direction and lore isn't on the level of Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

That's because Nioh focus on traditional folklore. It straight up dumpsters any game made by From in every other department. Not a single game made by From is as mechanically satisfying as Team Ninja's output

also op you're absolutely right and I can't wait. Nioh was the most wonderful action game I've played since going through Ninja Gaiden Black in master ninja, Nioh 2 is even better

Oct 27, 2017
Nioh was too hard for me. Got to the boss in a snow/ice level and just got destroyed, couldn't beat her in many many many tries. I loved the game up to that point. I'm sure I'll have the same issue with Nioh2, and while I'm also sure the game will be amazing, I'm going to pass. Same as I did with Sekiro.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's gonna be the greatest nioh sequel the world has ever seen.

OP
OP
Cryptosporidium
Oct 25, 2017
canada
Ill add I love the loot system. Just R3 for strongest weapon or soul match my purified/corrupted weapons to higher levels and use the rest of my loot for materials to forge.

Fuck this game has so many awesome systems.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I spent a good amount of time with the Beta and got nothing out of it but feeling like they "improved" everything that didn't need improvement and touched none of the shit that seemed to have been universally criticized. Instead of improvement they decided to add even more pounds of content into an already overflowing bag of features, systems and general stuff.

I feel like it's Nioh 1.5 that somehow feels messier, less enjoyable and weirdly enough, aesthetically less appealing than its predecessor. I spent a ton of time with the first one and the Beta convinced me to put this on the backburner until sale time. Was hoping they'd drop the "more is better" approach and focus on tightening up the foundation but they doubled down on that in my opinion and that's not what I personally wanted at all from a Nioh sequel.

To the actual thread title:

tenor.gif

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nioh has good combat but the total package feels lacking to me versus the From Software games like Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. I have no doubt Nioh 2 will be worth a purchase but greatest ARPG ever made is Dark Souls 1, and Nioh 2 isn't going to be on that level. It's just not.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think Elden Ring will take it for me if its end's up being up to From quality.

Yes, Nioh has better combat, but From games has better everything else IMO. Team Ninja still has a lot to learn for level design.

Still Nioh2 is a day one game obviously.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
the level design and theming/presentation in the first one was ass and boring /repetitive as fuck. does this one change that
its still level based but the beta and alpha were more varied and the Yokai core is shaping up to be like a monster collector thing. Overall i loved it didnt finish the beta but did the alpha but only because Death stranding and FFXIV but am their day one

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Nioh 2 will need far improved level design, environmental art direction, and ESPECIALLY enemy variety for the entire duration of the game. Nioh 1 started strong but the latter half of the game was a slog to the point where you fight the first boss like 4 damn times and sometimes they just speed up all his animations up to 200%. Just boring and dull ass design that really hurt my initial love of it. Still finished it and liked it overall, but it went from a 9/10 in the beta to a 7/10 by the time I finished the full game. Also the loot is a SLOG for the entire game and feels like it's doing nothing but wasting my time. Even if the Nioh 2 beta is really promising, I'm absolutely holding out reservations to see how the entirety of the game pans out.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
hopefully there's more enemy variety this time around and the levels all look unique

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Yes! Nioh is my favourite ARPG, followed by Sekiro. Looking forward to Nioh 2, can't wait. Unfortunately I dont have time to play the beta right now but reading these impressions sound great!

Oct 24, 2019
That's because Nioh focus on traditional folklore. It straight up dumpsters any game made by From in every other department. Not a single game made by From is as mechanically satisfying as Team Ninja's output

also op you're absolutely right and I can't wait. Nioh was the most wonderful action game I've played since going through Ninja Gaiden Black in master ninja, Nioh 2 is even better

Nioh doesn't "dumpster" anything.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did they include more than a couple interesting enemies to fight this time?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
That's not KH2:FM+.

the gameplay is fantastic, but I feel like it's got way to much feature bloat. Cut all the item bullshit out. You made better gameplay than Souls but went and made it a loot game? Why??? Make equipment unique. And in Nioh 2 specifically the skill tree is redundant as hell.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I loved the combat of 1 so much, and the story was interesting enough in itself, but god damn was that game long. Put 80 hours in and didn't even finish it, sadly. Hated the amount of loot, though, and I wish inventory management had been a bit cleaner.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Dunno about greatest action rpg, but it's easily the game I most want to play in Q1 2020. Loved the first game and what I played of the beta was very fun, too.

I just wished Nioh wasn't so compared to Souls games. Beyond "you're gonna die...a lot", Nioh has more in common with stylish action games such as DMC and Ninja Gaiden, mixed with loot games like Diablo and PSO. That's what the appeal of all the loot is for!

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
but the level design is so fucking shit in the first one, and it doesn't look like they improved it all

plus i think elden ring is gonna blow this so hard it's not even funny tbh

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
if Nioh 2's level design has more attention to detail put into it, then I can get behind this. I didn't really expect much from the first but it quickly became one of my favorite games ever when playing it more this past year. The gameplay loop is addicting, and the borderline horrific take on middle-ages japan is dope.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

But I am never the less looking forward to it. I need something to scratch the dark souls void and the beta was indeed fun.

Oct 24, 2019
It does, ty for your input. From isnt even competition when it comes down to combat, and never will be

Nioh combat is fun, but overrated. Its atmosphere is bland, level design is weak, characters are one-note, story is boring, enemy design is repetitive, loot system is overbearing, and co-op is perfunctory.

It's one of the better Soulsborne knockoffs, but that's not saying much since FromSoft has all the mimics firmly under their boot.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
As long as the levels/maps aren't repeated, then I will enjoy this immensely. I really enjoyed my time with the first game. It was Souls but in a setting I could actually get into since I'm a weeb (I'm sorry but I honestly just never really liked Dark Souls aesthetic). I played the first one on PS4, but may wait for a PC release this time around.