• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predict the Score.

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • 95-99

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 90-94

Votes: 70 11.1%
  • 85-89

Votes: 322 50.9%
  • 80-84

Votes: 189 29.9%
  • 75-79

Votes: 29 4.6%
  • <74

Votes: 6 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe you just don't like the game and the IP?

Hmm, no that can't be it.

I very much enjoyed the first game ( the ki pulse system is amazing). I have around 50hrs clocked in.

Iam just not interested in playing the same game again, a sequel should improve on a game's flaw, and the first one had a lot of flaws.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my only problem, at least based on my experience with the betas, is that until you start actually getting those ninjutsu/onmyou items, I don't know how else you're going to actually get the points to spend.

For example, I was pretty much not getting any ninjutsu points to play with in the LCT. Then I threw a bomb (random pick up, not the Iga-style) into a group of the Dwellers in the "Bloodstained Samurai" level, and immediately got 2 ninja proficiency points. So, is it just a thing that it takes longer to get points if you focus more on the passive skills and buffs, or was there something else I'm missing?

Using active abilities in the tree levels them up far faster, yes. The more you use seals or kunai or bombs, the faster you level up in those areas. I believe ninjutsu items and onmyo consumables also contribute to your skill point gain.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
meh.. same graphics, same animations.. same uninteresting loot system, same bad physics system, story looks awful as well.

It doesn't live up to what a sequel should do!

as I said, no interest in this game, but Im interested in their new IP.

You sound like a real fan.

The Nioh 1.5 rhetoric is extremely old and tired. Sequels dont always need to completely reinvent the wheel.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the first game, but I don't have the time or energy to play an even harder version of it. I skipped the DLC for the same reason.

According to PowerPyx Nioh 2 is easier. He is the guy writing 100% trophy guides.

www.powerpyx.com

Is Nioh 2 Harder or Easier than Nioh 1?

Are you wondering if Nioh 2 is harder or easier than Nioh 1? Find a difficulty comparison here why one is harder than the other.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
The art style is wonderful, while the graphics are mediocre.

I'm interesting to hear more of the soundtrack. It's been gathering praise.
Soundtrack is really amazing and fits practically every scene very well. The graphics are much better than the first game, but it's all about the art style that makes this game a looker this time around.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Soundtrack is really amazing and fits practically every scene very well. The graphics are much better than the first game, but it's all about the art style that makes this game a looker this time around.

Really? I'm not seeing anything but a subtle improvement.
I'll say that I'm happy with the graphics, overall, since it means a more stable frame-rate <3

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Really? I'm not seeing anything but a subtle improvement.
I'll say that I'm happy with the graphics, overall, since it means a more stable frame-rate <3
It's not the best looking game out there for sure. But especially in the beginning I was surpised by how much better it looked than the original. Some places are really nice to look at. Really like how your own personal character looks in cutscenes too. I'm playing in performance mode btw.

Texan365

Oct 27, 2017
I dropped off Nioh 1 for whatever reason, but reading these reviews is making me want to finish it up and dive in to 2.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely gonna use the switchglaive since it scales with magic and I'm gonna focus on onmyo. Not sure yet what'll be my second weapon though. In the first game I mained spear and axe
It's not the best looking game out there for sure. But especially in the beginning I was surpised by how much better it looked than the original. Some places are really nice to look at. Really like how your own personal character looks in cutscenes too. I'm playing in performance mode btw.

Are you using Pro? Unfortunately I'm stuck with base ps4 and it looks quite blurry on action mode imo. It's preferable to movie mode at least

Oct 27, 2017
I presume this is as hard as the first one? I was absolutely loving the first one but reached a boss (in that snow area) who I simply couldn't beat so just stopped. Would love to give this a go but might wait for a discount if the same thing might happen.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
I'm definitely gonna use the switchglaive since it scales with magic and I'm gonna focus on onmyo. Not sure yet what'll be my second weapon though. In the first game I mained spear and axe

Are you using Pro? Unfortunately I'm stuck with base ps4 and it looks quite blurry on action mode imo. It's preferable to movie mode at least
Yes, should've mentioned that. MB.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
It is weird seeing the dislike about the loot system around here. It is pretty in-depth where you have all these fun and interesting builds based around the ridiculous amount of stats and properties.

Game pretty much becomes Diablo later on.

Or do people just not want to deal with any of that and just want to fight monsters.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
It is weird seeing the dislike about the loot system around here. It is pretty in-depth where you have all these fun and interesting builds based around the ridiculous amount of stats and properties.

Or do people just not want to deal with any of that and just want to fight monsters.

The latter. It doesn't bother me personally but people didn't like "doing their taxes" after each run.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Powerpyx says the game is 100 hours long? This can't be right.
A regular playthrough takes 40-50 hours I guess?

Res

Oct 25, 2017

I'd imagine that some people want something more meaningful or unique from enemy drops and chests, or something along those lines. There's also inventory management

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Better scores than i expected. Granted, my impressions were only from the Last Trial demo and that didn't do too hot for me. Felt that the devs made it unnecessarily difficult for the sake of being difficult.

Gotta have to check the budget for this month, already getting AC, but i fear i'm not going to play much of that with my kids occupying the Switch then. So either this or Doom Eternal. ^^

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I found the whole system a chore to sort out. So much utter dreck to get through. Crafting may be in-depth, but it was needlessly obtuse too.

I love Nioh's combat - enough to keep bouncing off and coming back to it - but pretty much everything else around it - level design, loot, crafting, story - felt painfully underdeveloped; like they threw every idea they had at it just to see what stuck.

I felt like I spent nearly as much time in menus (in general, not just inventory) as I did in combat... and I'm a huge fan of CRPGs and the like; I'm not menu adverse at all. It just absolutely kills my personal sense of moment-to-moment pacing and progression.

I was hoping 2 was going to refine everything and trim needless fat, but they seem to be sticking to quantity over quality guns. Hopefully, when I next give Nioh a go (I really want to like it), the ancillary stuff might click like it has for everyone else.

Last edited:

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
meh.. same graphics, same animations.. same uninteresting loot system, same bad physics system, story looks awful as well.

It doesn't live up to what a sequel should do!

as I said, no interest in this game, but Im interested in their new IP.

From your comments, it doesn't seem like you even liked the first game. So, why are you even here if you're not interested in the sequel?

Last edited:

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I'm really scared of the difficulty in this game. I really enjoyed the first, but I'm not sure I'm ready for something even harder. I'm not afraid of summoning for each and every boss though, would that significantly alleviate things?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'm really scared of the difficulty in this game. I really enjoyed the first, but I'm not sure I'm ready for something even harder. I'm not afraid of summoning for each and every boss though, would that significantly alleviate things?

Kinda. You can easily farm for the material required for summoning too.

But if it's anything like the first Nioh then people are going to find that broken build and just circumvent all the difficulty.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nice, will pick this up once I finish the first game. I am drowning in games at the moment.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
Torn between Katana, Spear, Switchglaive/magic :( . Seems like Switchglaive with buffs/debuffs is performing worse than the other weapons.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
According to PowerPyx Nioh 2 is easier. He is the guy writing 100% trophy guides.

www.powerpyx.com

Are you wondering if Nioh 2 is harder or easier than Nioh 1? Find a difficulty comparison here why one is harder than the other.

OMG game changer. Thanks for posting this. Doing a full 180 and will pick up day 1. The summoning is a great idea that will alleviate the difficulty. I hated being "stuck" at a boss in the first and having no avenue to summon help without farming cups.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
OMG game changer. Thanks for posting this. Doing a full 180 and will pick up day 1. The summoning is a great idea that will alleviate the difficulty. I hated being "stuck" at a boss in the first and having no avenue to summon help without farming cups.

Just an FYI that the AI summons aren't.. great. At least from my tests they died pretty quickly to bosses. It's usually better to try to summon players.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018

www.powerpyx.com

For me, Nioh 2 has been a far more forgiving experience and I've hit far fewer walls than I did in the first game (played about forty hours).

Edit: nor am I hardcore enthusiast - I've played mainline Souls and BB, but I had to quite Sekiro because I found it way too punishing.

Last edited:

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the betas but I'll probably pick this up later in the year when the price drops since I already have too many games to play :( I hope they release a PS5 patch since the game looks rough on PS4 when you play in action mode/60FPS.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hm.. Would it be safe to assume then that Nioh 2 will be a much shorter game?

From the sounds of it, it's less that it'll be a shorter game and more that Nioh veterans will understand the flow of the game a bit better. It's not a completely foreign experience for players the way Nioh 1 was. Everything I've heard is that it's still extremely hard, but Nioh vets are far more experienced at build manipulation than they were at this time in the original game's lifespan, so optimal gear strategies will likely come out a lot faster.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
From the sounds of it, it's less that it'll be a shorter game and more that Nioh veterans will understand the flow of the game a bit better. It's not a completely foreign experience for players the way Nioh 1 was. Everything I've heard is that it's still extremely hard, but Nioh vets are far more experienced at build manipulation than they were at this time in the original game's lifespan, so optimal gear strategies will likely come out a lot faster.

Which does make sense. Even the Souls games got: "Easier" as they released if you had played the other ones.

Dec 6, 2017
US
All i care about is whether the world and level design has been improved?

That's a big one for me as well. I won't be picking it up for quite some time until it hits a sale, just not enough time for another teeth-grinding epic, but this was my biggest gripe with the first and the beta demo felt like more of the exact same down to the majority of assets level design wise.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Two questions for the experts
- do you still get so much loot (that is often pointless)?
- do you still need to replay same levels 2/3 times with different missions?