• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Im pretty much only using duals, just cleared first area with something like 20k proficiency and not many duals points to use... tried the glaive for 5 minutes and got 2k proficiency...
They introduced a catch up mechanic with proficiency so it gets a boost if it's below your highest.

Last edited:

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Eww, that semi dual boss sub-mission is disgusting. I can't deplete Gozuki's health fast enough before Mezuki starts hammering me. I'll wait until I get all Kodamas for the region.

Miggy

Oct 25, 2017
You need the Tonfa Gun skill that comes with Sarutobi's Gunsticks. Then all you need to do is make sure you're using the Crimson Lotus and Devastation combo enders from the right side of the tree and it will add the explosion at the end.

Thanks. The stats you have on your Tonfa are really good. I'm gonna try and see if get them myself.
Did you forge a new Sarutobi's Gunsticks to get those stats or got one from a revenant with a couple of slots that you just tempered to get it to your liking?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. The stats you have on your Tonfa are really good. I'm gonna try and see if get them myself.
Did you forge a new Sarutobi's Gunsticks to get those stats or got one from a revenant with a couple of slots that you just tempered to get it to your liking?
I made this one since I found a smithing text before a divine version, but there's nothing wrong if you have a dropped version.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Got the plat. Great game. Can't wait for the DLC to refine stuff more.
My wishlist for it is:
- let us discard/resting rite souls cores right at the loot window(the one that appears when you finish a mission). Basically introduce what MHW already has for their materials. It's cumbersome that you force players to go to the shrine menu and then to the soul core menu just to prevent the inventory to be clogged up from mediocre cores
- rework the refashion stuff, with a preview and let us see the feed of the character so we can also judge how boots look on them
- would be nice if item sets could get rebalanced effects(especially 2 piece) to be more interesting.
- don't make me scroll through different weapon categories when soul matching just have the general weapon tab also be there
- have more sets that support the weapons having less love like tonfa, glaive, cannon, etc. There is a heavy unevenness for katana sets vs everything else

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
wandering I really recommend you use Enemy Sensor if "gank squads" are a big problem for you. As a Souls player who is used to carefully look around most new areas, and who plays with headphones so I can hear the growls of various enemies before I see them, I have rarely been ambushed, though I did get grabbed by a nure-onna or a perched enki from time to time.

But since I've been spamming the Divination spell all the time (best way to accumulate proficiency naturally without grinding, apparently -_-), and it lasts quite a fair bit, I don't even need the Enemy Sensor modifier on gear as it automatically has that effect, and shows enemies on your mini-map.

Moreover I agree with using ranged and stealth tools.

Ambushes and gank squads aren't really a huge issue IMO. Some nastily placed and barely visible holes are cheaper, to me. The early part of The High-Spirited Demon (5-3) is the worst there.

Actually, I think my biggest complaint about the game has to do with visibility. Dark Realms, ok, I guess that's the point, but outside of that, why is bloom and a smoky/foggy effect constantly active? Makes it really hard to see where you're going sometimes, and it's just generally unpleasant and makes the game look visually worse than it could. Eh.

Yeah, I tend to agree with that.

And the kodama and scampuss!!

I can agree with the visibility issue. I've never had a problem with any other Soulslike game, and I suspect part of the issue is that the loot grinding nature of Nioh feels at odds with the overpowered mobs to me. In a Souls game I expect to take my time and feel in constant danger. In a dozens of hours long Diablo-like loot ladder, I expect to feel powerful.

People here are assuming that I don't already use ranged weapons and just rush in all the time. That's not the case. And I'm not constantly dying either; in fact, I'm dying much less than I did in Sekiro or DS3. But when I do die, I don't find myself with nearly as much motivation to try again. Part of it is the repetitiveness; I don't mind occasional traps, they're part of the hardcore experience, I get it. But when they happen over and over again with not much else to them than as a difficulty tactic, even when I spot them ahead of time, I find it annoying.

Again, part of the issue is my preconception of the game's themes and mechanics, and I recognize that. When I play Souls, every corner feels threatening and I love that. In Nioh, I'm tired of it; partly because of the level design, partly because of the loot grind.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Man I really got to learn how to use the blacksmith seeing these weapons people are making. I only crafted equipment once in my whole playthough.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
- have more sets that support the weapons having less love like tonfa, glaive, cannon, etc. There is a heavy unevenness for katana sets vs everything else
That be nice.

On the other hand, I'd just be happy once the likelihood of Umbracite that allows us to forge in more "Set Bonus Requirements -1" on our gear becomes a thing. Then it's just not a problem anymore, especially once we're not stuck with a Yasakani taking up a slot.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
In a dozens of hours long Diablo-like loot ladder, I expect to feel powerful.
That's very odd though. In terms of design philosophy when it comes to levels and encounters, Nioh is very much a Souls-like, more than a Diablo-like. I've approached encounters and exploration the same way I do in Souls games.

Diablo 3 is brain-dead easy, but not all loot games are. Even if you min-max in, say, Dragon's Crown, the game can get pretty tough at times, there's still a skill check there. So, I never thought to associate loot grind with "feeling OP" or games being easy or whatever.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Man I really got to learn how to use the blacksmith seeing these weapons people are making. I only crafted equipment once in my whole playthough.

I think using the blacksmith really doesn't come into play until endgame/NG+ because of how much it costs to soul match good weapons. I was able to do one good armor upgrade after playing for 20 hours through the second region and it wiped out my gold reserves.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I think using the blacksmith really doesn't come into play until endgame/NG+ because of how much it costs to soul match good weapons. I was able to do one good armor upgrade after playing for 20 hours through the second region and it wiped out my gold reserves.

Yeah, you don't really have to mess with the blacksmith until NG+ and you're dealing with Divines. I mean, it's fun and I still do it, but you can finish the game just fine with stuff you pick from Revenants.

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of Amrita you can get from offering your loot to the Kodama bazaar is crazy in NG+. Gives you a ton of Amrita for divines. I'm literally leveling up every mission just by getting rid of my junk.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
That's very odd though. In terms of design philosophy when it comes to levels and encounters, Nioh is very much a Souls-like, more than a Diablo-like. I've approached encounters and exploration the same way I do in Souls games.

Diablo 3 is brain-dead easy, but not all loot games are. Even if you min-max in, say, Dragon's Crown, the game can get pretty tough at times, there's still a skill check there. So, I never thought to associate loot grind with "feeling OP" or games being easy or whatever.
I think it's more like, say, Diablo 2. In D2, I found the game to be much harder, especially in being able to actually get to the end of Hell difficulty. So the general curve of the game went from

"Doing Fine -> Hell difficulty is kicking my ass -> I can't beat Hell difficulty until I grind out better gear and levels -> I got better stuff and managed to beat the game -> Endgame grinding to get even better ----->>>> I am now OP as shit and can obliterate most anything in the game without a second thought"

This is the usual curve of looter games that I've played, like D2, D3, Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, Borderlands, etc.

I know this game is very different and isn't a looter in quite that same way, but getting to endgame and finding the stupidly OP builds is a big part of the fun of most looters.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

Superficially, but the level and encounter design is, in my opinion, not as refined, so my only real personal investment is in the loot. I just don't get the same vibe and same incentives to play a certain way, and that might just be me.

Never played Dragon's Crown, but the looter games I'm familiar with, while not necessarily "easy," don't have mobs that can still two-shot you even when you're massively over-leveled.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more like, say, Diablo 2. In D2, I found the game to be much harder, especially in being able to actually get to the end of Hell difficulty. So the general curve of the game went from

"Doing Fine -> Hell difficulty is kicking my ass -> I can't beat Hell difficulty until I grind out better gear and levels -> I got better stuff and managed to beat the game -> Endgame grinding to get even better ----->>>> I am now OP as shit and can obliterate most anything in the game without a second thought"

This is the usual curve of looter games that I've played, like D2, D3, Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, Borderlands, etc.

I know this game is very different and isn't a looter in quite that same way, but getting to endgame and finding the stupidly OP builds is a big part of the fun of most looters.
I feel quite OP right now lol and it's fun having the build come together so much. Can still die if I'm not being smart about things though.

BaraSailey

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anyone that could possibly help me beat a boss I'm stuck on? I've been waiting for 30 minutes to find someone and haven't found a soul.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
This Onmyo/Anima build practically plays itself. Here's me making the final boss look like a joke in NG+ in a 22 second kill.

I've just fought three duels in a row.

God of Wind really carried me through all of them.

God of Wind is really a fantastic move. It gets even better once you find out you can cancel straight into Sign of the Cross.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody...wanna help me Expedition through this insane "Calling on the Fire God" sub mission? I cannot find any people to party with who don't try to fight EVERYTHING and I just want this mission to be over. :(

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a guide on using the blacksmith? I have 1 +1 weapon but it's lower level now. I can't remember how I even got it. I'm 40 hours in and just completed 3-2 so I assumed I'd have some by now.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a guide on using the blacksmith? I have 1 +1 weapon but it's lower level now. I can't remember how I even got it. I'm 40 hours in and just completed 3-2 so I assumed I'd have some by now.
+1 items are super random and quite rare until you get to the end game. It being lower level is not an issue since, if you use it as material in Soul Matching, that + value can be transferred over to any item of similar quality. + values supplement item levels, but are also completely independent of them.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Finally bit the bullet and respecced. I'm loving the Kusarigama, but I'm kinda tired of the Odachi since I used it in Nioh 1 and all the betas for 2.

I decided to do a Ninjitsu / Magic build to try out the Switchglaive. So far I really like it, though it does have a bit of a learning curve. The idea of a weapon based around changing stances mid combo and ki fluxing the hell out of everything is like a dream come true.

Unfortunately my new build is also super squishy and I get one shot a lot.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody...wanna help me Expedition through this insane "Calling on the Fire God" sub mission? I cannot find any people to party with who don't try to fight EVERYTHING and I just want this mission to be over. :(
if you're still playing I can help you. What's the password you use for summon?
(I'm sadly done for now I'm on again in ~9 hours or so for help)
Anyone around to help me put The Golden Castle to rest? Tired and losing focus, but I really want to finish it tonight.
I can put up a password if it helps. Been sitting here for a while with two cups offered and no one's joining.
What's your password

Last edited:

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone around to help me put The Golden Castle to rest? Tired and losing focus, but I really want to finish it tonight.
I can put up a password if it helps. Been sitting here for a while with two cups offered and no one's joining.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
What's the point of the Kappa in the Interim?

Basically every other NPC there has a side quest you can do for them to move on to the afterlife. Anything for the Kappa?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I copied the anima/onmyo build I saw on reddit. I'm sold, Omnyo is super fun.

I wouldn't use it on my first playthrough though, alot of the good stuff is NG+ stuff.

UNLIMITED BLADE WORKS

Link? Sorry, I tried Google and the results were NIL. Saw a different (but I guess based around a similar concept) build though yesterday. Currently on my second playthrough with a different character. Basically the one I tried initially before starting over to Odachi/Axe and Heavy Armor (super easy build and super strong) that was Switchglaive/Onmyo, so I might respec to something like that at the end of NG+ just for giggles.

This is the other build:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I feel quite OP right now lol and it's fun having the build come together so much. Can still die if I'm not being smart about things though.
That's a key thing I like about nioh endgame while you can faceroll enemies you can't go total braindead zombie mode. In a lot of other diablo likes once you're op you just hold down rightclick and sometimes push "1" for a potion or similar it's a bit too little action for me. Nioh is takes just that little bit more attention that makes it a lot more fun longterm for me.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
What is the driver for increasing the skill level of a particular weapon? With the fast chain-axe thingy weapon, I was gaining skill points constantly and could access the Dojo mission in like 3 levels. The odachi, on the other hand, is levelling sloooowly.

Is it the amount of damage you do, or the number of hits?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
What is the driver for increasing the skill level of a particular weapon? With the fast chain-axe thingy weapon, I was gaining skill points constantly and could access the Dojo mission in like 3 levels. The odachi, on the other hand, is levelling sloooowly.

Is it the amount of damage you do, or the number of hits?

Damage. I can't really compare the two weapons' growth rates right now, but the Odachi wasn't exactly "slow" when doing combos with it.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Link? Sorry, I tried Google and the results were NIL. Saw a different (but I guess based around a similar concept) build though yesterday. Currently on my second playthrough with a different character. Basically the one I tried initially before starting over to Odachi/Axe and Heavy Armor (super easy build and super strong) that was Switchglaive/Onmyo, so I might respec to something like that at the end of NG+ just for giggles.

This is the other build:

Similar concept, here's the one I copied:

I tried the Pwar build (which was easily I was easily able to accommodate without a respec since I was using a Dual Swords build) but quite frankly I think Kusarigama gets kind of boring and I don't like Crimson Fury as a skill. It does have pretty good survivability due to heavy armor but the Omnyo build heals you like crazy so it hasn't been that much of an issue, plus shooting stuff is really fun. Not sure I like Switchglaive just yet though, the ender in high stance feels really clumsy to me.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I like Switchglaive just yet though, the ender in high stance feels really clumsy to me.

I don't really like the Kusarigama in this, but it was mainly a survivability issue. In heavy armor, that's likely not a problem. As for the Switchglaive...it's pretty OK, and it does decent ki damage in high stance. I also like the high stance ender you use when switching from medium stance, but as for the Mortal Retribution (if that's the one you mean) "hit triangle after a combo" in high stance ender, it's hit or miss. On smaller enemies I don't use it because it seems to push you just out of reach for the second attack, but it seems to work reliably enough on medium to large enemies.

The moves I can't quite figure out yet are any of the "hold triangle" attacks in high stance. Those are the definition of clunk, and the Divine Retribution move where you jump over the enemy, spinning and hit them twice. What I don't get about that move is why half of the time it doesn't even come out, and my character simply attacks two times with square. It's like some suuuuper laggy input queue delay, because I'm not actually hitting square twice when the fail happens.

Also, have you noticed any issues when it comes to your
secondary GS switching out after a death? There have been plenty of times where I'll try to use an ability and nothing comes out only to see that my second GS decided it was a good time to be in the front, despite the fact that I never have a reason to hit R1 + L2, and it seems like this only happens randomly after a death.
The other thing I've noticed lately is that every time I get a core anymore, I have to hit the shrine twice before the game recognizes I hit the shrine to get rid of the "you have X amount of cores you just picked up" icon on the UI. I don't remember that being the case during my first playthrough, or at least prior to 1.05.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
The other thing I've noticed lately is that every time I get a core anymore, I have to hit the shrine twice before the game recognizes I hit the shrine to get rid of the "you have X amount of cores you just picked up" icon on the UI. I don't remember that being the case during my first playthrough, or at least prior to 1.05.
I've had the core icon linger for a while after popping a shrine, but it has always faded eventually.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Damage. I can't really compare the two weapons' growth rates right now, but the Odachi wasn't exactly "slow" when doing combos with it.

Thanks.

But what the fuck, just checked the Status page for my Odachi use now, and I haven't received a single proficiency point when using it. Is there something that can block amassing proficiency, or is this a bug?

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.

But what the fuck, just checked the Status page for my Odachi use now, and I haven't received a single proficiency point when using it. Is there something that can block amassing proficiency, or is this a bug?
Beside something like tutorial probably not giving any, there shouldn't be anything. Sounds like a bug. Are you doing some specific mission for your attempt or just slaying fools wherever?

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Beside something like tutorial probably not giving any, there shouldn't be anything. Sounds like a bug. Are you doing some specific mission for your attempt or just slaying fools wherever?

It was a stupid bug! I had an odachi equipped, but it used the moveset from my primary weapon (Spear), what the hell, lol. Re-equipped another odachi and now it works. Weird as hell.

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
Beat the game a couple of nights ago. I agree with what people are saying about it being Nioh 1.5, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. Overall I think the anima system/soul cores were a good addition, along with burst counters, though I'm abivalent about turning into a Yokai - I was never that into Living Weapon in Nioh 1 so it's fine either way.

I will say that this game felt bloated around the midpoint - I kinda wanted it to hurry up and finish in a way I didn't with Nioh 1. The last area or so was fantastic though, which made up for the slightly muddy middle. I did think that the Bocchi boss and level were very similar to the giant skeleton boss and level for the original, and the CHerry Blossoms level had a very similar 'floating castle' aesthetic to the final level of the original too - though maybe that's me nitpicking. EIther way, now that I've beaten it, I'm happy to be chipping away through NG+ at my own pace.

I've nearly got the plat (just need 2 more tea sets and the Thunder Oni-bi Core), and I'm looking forward to the DLC coming out - I plat'd Nioh 1 upon original release and then re-played it entirely once all the DLC came out to get all the DLC trophies, and I think I'm gonna have a great time doing it again for Nioh 2, assuming the DLC is of the same high quality,