• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
You can't check how many deaths you had with characters in the character directory only those in yokai illustration. That's shit I wanted see how many times Nagamasa fucked me up because my dodge game was off

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
What obliterates you out of the blue? Like, sure, I've died to a monkey dropping to my back from a tree and stomping the shit out of me once or twice, but after that, each and every one has gotten an arrow to their face for their troubles. Gaki, Nure-Onna and Enki all have a distinct sound that they make when they are hidden. You hear that, you look around a bit and take the initiative.

And again, if you're tired of taking out each enemy one by one, use the damn stealth option. You can get plenty of ninjutsu stocked with minimal investment. I have dex 8 and I'm still decently stocked with stealth, a few anti-poison and anti-paralysis pills and power pills.

"Use the damn stealth option," huh. Weird to get so aggressive over me having a different experience than you, but whatever.

I've gotten one or two-shotted by skeletons and human enemies too much for my liking. And when I'm spending hours upon hours on an overly-long game, there's only so much patience I have for checking every corner. If people are getting frustrated, as some people here have been, it's not automatically invalid just because of "git gud."

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
"Use the damn stealth option," huh. Weird to get so aggressive over me having a different experience than you, but whatever.

I've gotten one or two-shotted by skeletons and human enemies too much for my liking. And when I'm spending hours upon hours on an overly-long game, there's only so much patience I have for checking every corner. If people are getting frustrated, as some people here have been, it's not automatically invalid just because of "git gud."
It's not about "git gud" it's about using the tools the game gives you. I mean there is for sure a case of play how you want but also when I read people being frustrated when the solutions are there it's like the proverb "It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". *shrug*

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017

One, it is advice for you to have a different experience so you wouldn't get so frustrated. Two, recommending inclusion of stealth and giving light advice on sound cues of the most commonly used ambush enemies is the opposite of going "git gud." You might not like my tone, which might indeed be a smidge aggressive and I apologize for that, but I do not make git gud posts.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
One, it is advice for you to have a different experience so you wouldn't get so frustrated. Two, recommending inclusion of stealth and giving light advice on sound cues of the most commonly used ambush enemies is the opposite of going "git gud." You might not like my tone, which might indeed be a smidge aggressive and I apologize for that, but I do not make git gud posts.

Tone matters quite a lot when giving advice. It makes the difference between being helpful and being patronizing. Food for thought.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna echo the sentiment that Nioh is not the sort of game where I want to check every corner and ceiling for hiding enemies. Feels like another thing they lifted from Souls wholesale without considering why it at works there.

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
Being obliterated out of the blue and then returning to tediously take out each enemy one by one isn't fun to me. In a From game, dying feels deserved and it feels like I learned something. Dying here often feels cheap and annoying.

I mean it's pretty much the case for every souls like, if you take on too many enemies at once you end up dead. Nioh is no different in that respect, I would argue it's harder though as the move variety the yokai have vs a trash mob in a From game is a lot more expansive, that and burst counters can be deadly in groups. If I was you I'd consider either trying a different weapon or using the large variety of ranged weapons to thin the ranks. One of the reasons Nioh has a few different ranged weapons is for this reason.

I would approach this game different than a From game regardless, once I have the moveset down I feel like I can be much more aggressive than I can in say, Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Due to some moves depleting ki quickly and the ability to chain multiple hits using the tonfa for instance.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna echo the sentiment that Nioh is not the sort of game where I want to check every corner and ceiling for hiding enemies. Feels like another thing they lifted from Souls wholesale without considering why it at works there.

yep, exploration is nowhere near as rewarding. You usually find yet another yokai or human checking a corpse, which has worse loot than what you can get by killing a revenant.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wandering Are you using the Enemy Sensor ability on any of your equipment? It mitigates any gank design a lot. Some of the Soul Cores including the one of the big multi-headed crawling thing (forgot the name) have Enemy Sensor as an ability. I'd recommend equipping one of those Soul Cores, being able to see enemies on the minimap makes these games much more enjoyable imo, it becomes less about guessing where ganks are and more about planning around how to carefully manage a mob before you even enter the room.

For best results combine with the Kodama and Treasure sensors as well. I feel like the design in these games benefits from you knowing your surroundings and having to figure out how to manage it, rather than exploring in the dark like in Souls. Some people may call it cheap but then, as someone said a couple pages ago, these are all tools the game gives you so oh well lol.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Every main level has a hidden ninja and onmyo hairlock which are behind exploration. Those alone should motivate people to explore.

I know, it's still mostly useless loot and it doesn't feel rewarding. You receive locks of hair as mission completion reward etc so you can have most of the useful skills anyway without exploring every nook and cranny.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I've been grinding switchglaive proficiency and oh my god is this weapon well designed. That stance switching is so heavily ingrained into the design of this weapon and how fast and powerful you feel with it is just amazing.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been grinding switchglaive proficiency and oh my god is this weapon well designed. That stance switching is so heavily ingrained into the design of this weapon and how fast and powerful you feel with it is just amazing.
Yea it is, that was my main weapon and the stance switching is smooth as hell. I did two mid stance quick attacks, stance switch active skill into high, two quick highs, stance switch active skill back to mid, then Ki pulse to recover it all. So good against enemies that stagger, can obliterate many of them in one combo. Plus it lets me combo into High stance damage while staying at "neutral" in mid stance for the better dodges and guards.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
In a From game, dying feels deserved and it feels like I learned something. Dying here often feels cheap and annoying.
DemandingBlindDwarfrabbit-max-1mb.gif

Souls games are the most obtuse and unfair when it comes to difficulty and this is coming from someone who has spent countless hours on From games.
There is nothing 'deserved' about enemies ganking you or hiding to one shot you as in both From games and Nioh1/2.

I myself struggled with Nioh and after investing and learning for many hours, Nioh 2 is drastically easy. You must invest time to learn the myriad of tools, which at first feels incredibly daunting.

Also I thought the amount of enemies hiding to insta kill you was surprisingly super rare in Nioh2 imo. It mostly early game and later on they are barely there.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Yea it is, that was my main weapon and the stance switching is smooth as hell. I did two mid stance quick attacks, stance switch active skill into high, two quick highs, stance switch active skill back to mid, then Ki pulse to recover it all. So good against enemies that stagger, can obliterate many of them in one combo. Plus it lets me combo into High stance damage while staying at "neutral" in mid stance for the better dodges and guards.
That's sick.
Also I cannot wait until I unlock the mystic arts it sounds amazing.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
When do the highest level green weapons start showing up?

I think I'm in the 4th section of the game. Dunno how many there are. I'm doing every mission going slow.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
wandering I really recommend you use Enemy Sensor if "gank squads" are a big problem for you. As a Souls player who is used to carefully look around most new areas, and who plays with headphones so I can hear the growls of various enemies before I see them, I have rarely been ambushed, though I did get grabbed by a nure-onna or a perched enki from time to time.

But since I've been spamming the Divination spell all the time (best way to accumulate proficiency naturally without grinding, apparently -_-), and it lasts quite a fair bit, I don't even need the Enemy Sensor modifier on gear as it automatically has that effect, and shows enemies on your mini-map.

Moreover I agree with using ranged and stealth tools.

Ambushes and gank squads aren't really a huge issue IMO. Some nastily placed and barely visible holes are cheaper, to me. The early part of The High-Spirited Demon (5-3) is the worst there.

Actually, I think my biggest complaint about the game has to do with visibility. Dark Realms, ok, I guess that's the point, but outside of that, why is bloom and a smoky/foggy effect constantly active? Makes it really hard to see where you're going sometimes, and it's just generally unpleasant and makes the game look visually worse than it could. Eh.

I still have no idea where this particular line of complaints stems from. There are some encounters where you are actually forced to fight several enemies at once, but vast majority of them can be prevented by using your ranged options to thin out ranged enemies and creeps hanging from ceilings and trees. Plus there is the two ninjutsu stealth combination where, barring a few exceptions, you actually need to bump into enemies to aggro them.

The game gives ample tools handle such situations.
Yeah, I tend to agree with that.
Every main level has a hidden ninja and onmyo hairlock which are behind exploration. Those alone should motivate people to explore.
And the kodama and scampuss!!

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
When do the highest level green weapons start showing up?

I think I'm in the 4th section of the game. Dunno how many there are. I'm doing every mission going slow.
They unlock when you slay the final boss. Afterwards, they are just another, higher tier of item quality that can theoretically drop anywhere you might get a purple.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I still have no idea where this particular line of complaints stems from. There are some encounters where you are actually forced to fight several enemies at once, but vast majority of them can be prevented by using your ranged options to thin out ranged enemies and creeps hanging from ceilings and trees. Plus there is the two ninjutsu stealth combination where, barring a few exceptions, you actually need to bump into enemies to aggro them.

The game gives ample tools handle such situations.

I've spec'd high Dexterity and between my bow, rifle, and ninjutsu skills I can wipe out enemies before I even get to combat a lot of the time. I've never fought more than two enemies simultaneously unless I've made a huge mistake.

I just keep feeding loot into the kodama grinder and refilling my ammo at shrines and I've been pretty fine in terms of groups of enemies. Snake ladies still suck no matter what, though.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the quick responses! Won't invest too much in my current gear then, already slaughtering fools in early NG+ as-is.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the quick responses! Won't invest too much in my current gear then, already slaughtering fools in early NG+ as-is.
If you have access to divines, you do actually want to invest in your current gear. That 10 item level difference is easily taken care of with Soul Matching and basically the whole point of the + value system is to start building up your.. well, build.

You don't wait for higher + values, you build up to them via Soul Matching.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Rarely should you actually get ganked as long as you know what you're doing and see the enemy placement.

What is a bit of poor design is the levels with water pools and holes you can fall through, that shit sucks.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to help people out and grind some Dual katana points at the same time and all the hosts keep dying. Lmao. Had like 4 just jump off cliffs.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Only 1 weapon trophy left for the plat. Grinding proficiency for weapons I don't care for currently isn't the most fun. Still useful to really learn a weapon though

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Man I wish I would get a 170 already lol. I guess they only drop in the latest NG+ region? I'm at Region 4/5.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
This game really seems to be lacking in decent light armor for a tonfa build. Red Demon set seems the best I've come across and even that is more for spears. Generally speaking it's a bit weird how there are multiple sets that are specifically meant for swords or spears for example but none for tonfa afaik.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This game really seems to be lacking in decent light armor for a tonfa build. Red Demon set seems the best I've come across and even that is more for spears. Generally speaking it's a bit weird how there are multiple sets that are specifically meant for swords or spears for example but none for tonfa afaik.
It's because they carried over most the sets without drastically changing them, tonfa was only dlc in the first game so not as much specifically for it. They could have reworked things more though.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
In general I think the set design (gameplay wise) is kind of lacking. I hope DLC solves a lot of this but having a look over stuff there isn't many interesting interaction to have build synergy with.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Mirage, how do you setup the tonfa gun skill? how does it exactly work?
You need the Tonfa Gun skill that comes with Sarutobi's Gunsticks. Then all you need to do is make sure you're using the Crimson Lotus and Devastation combo enders from the right side of the tree and it will add the explosion at the end.

jesus! You stacking those melee damage vs poisoned effects on charms?
You know it lol. You can get it on both of your charms, the coiled snake helmet, and yatsu-no-kami.

poisoniskiller.png

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
You need the Tonfa Gun skill that comes with Sarutobi's Gunsticks. Then all you need to do is make sure you're using the Crimson Lotus and Devastation combo enders from the right side of the tree and it will add the explosion at the end.
What I like is that this time around, by the time you're getting better Umbracite to play with, you'll be able to mod in Tonfa Gun as an ability for any Tonfa.

When I get to that point, I'm certainly going to appreciate being able to use Yin-Yang Tonfas that compliment my Switch Gliave build, instead of having to choose between it or Sasuke's Boomsticks because I like to go explodey-bangy.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
What I like is that this time around, by the time you're getting better Umbracite to play with, you'll be able to mod in Tonfa Gun as an ability for any Tonfa.

When I get to that point, I'm certainly going to appreciate being able to use Yin-Yang Tonfas that compliment my Switch Gliave build, instead of having to choose between it or Sasuke's Boomsticks because I like to go explodey-bangy.
ooh I didn't realize it worked like that and you could go for any tonfa. Not that I want to change mine at this point though lol but that's good to know.