• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Great, the double boss fights where some of the most frustating things about Nioh 1..

One massive improvement is the co-op system. For those who are no good at this, being able to call either a live person in or NPC (which can be significantly above your level) can be so incredibly helpful.

called upon an NPC for my last two bosses and it was great, they took down around 50% of boss HP for me before dying and I can handle the rest without spending hours trying on my own.

Accessibility is finally here folks.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Getting there with my weapon.

EUT8YWpXYAA7Owj

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The 3-scampuss side-mission is the best thing ever. It was soooo funny utterly stunlocking Onryoki with Flexile's yokai ability and nuking him in seconds lol.

Plus it finally unlocks the scampuss for the hut visitation! Very very important feature.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
The 3-scampuss side-mission is the best thing ever. It was soooo funny utterly stunlocking Onryoki with Flexile's yokai ability and nuking him in seconds lol.

Plus it finally unlocks the scampuss for the hut visitation! Very very important feature.
Yes that one is the best, I also always have the scampuss in my hut now.

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
Finished the game few hours ago and can't stop thinking about it. The last boss is epic. Great game.

ps: the OST it's amazing, one of the best things in the game.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Finally finished this nightmare and escaped the other side. A lot of stuff near the end was horrendous and a bunch of the game could have been mercifully trimmed, and the brutally repetitive level design and enemies didn't help, but the game did end on a high note with the final few missions being great, and the final boss was a lot of fun.

Oct 27, 2017
So I keep thinking I've beaten the game and the game just continues on and on... lol
Still working my way through the weapons...I think Switchglaive is my favorite so far. Hoping to finish this tonight and start NG+

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Y'all out here discussing NG+ farming and specialization strategies while I've spent the last hour trying to recreate DMC5 Dante instead of learning the latest Boss.
Wohoo.

MW5obix.jpg

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
What's the name of this mission?
Stray Cats.

Apparently I'm seeing you need to pet 30 scampuss before it unlocks (it must accompany you the whole duration too). I didn't know that, guess it just unlocked naturally.
Y'all out here discussing NG+ farming and specialization strategies while I've spent the last hour trying to recreate DMC5 Dante instead of learning the latest Boss.
Wohoo.

MW5obix.jpg
That... just looks like William or Geralt, lol

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game earlier today. Like the first Nioh, I always like the bosses earlier on in the game versus anything from the mid-point onwards because early on, they actually feel challenging with movesets you have to adapt to.

Couldn't tell you much about the last few boss movesets or their phases because I just powered through them with high damage and buffs.

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently calling out the reuse of levels from another game is "lazy dev rhetoric".
Cool, cool. Resetera mods stay completely in touch with reality.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats a good mission to farm Onryoki at for soul cores?

I just got access to the 5th region.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
At which point can you remodel the weapon to make it scale with the stat you want ?
There is a quest in the 6th region to find the blacksmiths grandfather. Complete that and you'll unlock some stuff in the blacksmith, including remodeling. But do note that the gear needs to have +# values on them to allow remodeling and it uses a unique resource that needs 4 different yokai boss parts to craft. You get a few from the get go and each time you clear a NG+ mission for the first time though.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it few hours ago. Very fun game, a lot of boss fights for better or worse. The story was better than the first one even though I disliked the silent protagonist. The levels were much better although they sometimes outsmart themselves and make it a maze for the sake of complexity alone.
The enemy variety is still a weird thing. Like there are so many enemies in this game more than most games out there but the length of the game and the constant repeating of them in consequent levels gets a bit old. I was feeling a bit burned out this weekend but that's probably my fault as I finished Nioh 1 only a month ago.
I'm in for Nioh 3 or whatever they make next.

I finished the game earlier today. Like the first Nioh, I always like the bosses earlier on in the game versus anything from the mid-point onwards because early on, they actually feel challenging with movesets you have to adapt to.

Couldn't tell you much about the last few boss movesets or their phases because I just powered through them with high damage and buffs.

I agree with your boss fights comment. A lot of the late bosses I had to watch online videos to see their actual movesets because I feel I missed them while playing. I didn't even do super magic moves this time around but they still melted. Kinda gives a hollow feeling after beating them.
Doesn't help when there are plenty of bosses stacked towards the end and they all blend in my memory.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Similar to the first game, I feel like a lot of the balance issues with bosses in the 2nd half of the game stem from the fact that there are so many human bosses later in the game. As the story goes on, you fight more and more climactic story-based human opponents and most of them here are pushovers, which kind of surprises me because they demonstrated in the Nioh 1 DLCs that they know how to make challenging human bosses. The bizarre spikes in difficulty in the 2nd half basically track 1:1 with how often you get a fight against a bigger yokai boss vs. a human boss or a massive gimmick boss.

Maybe it's just an AI quirk that comes from using weapons with longer ranges, but with a switchglaive build I felt like it was easy to just strong attack spam to interrupt their attacks, Ki Pulse and then repeat. I hate to say it because usually I'm not a fan of this mechanic, but I think some of these human bosses could benefit from a bit more superarmor to avoid getting stunlocked. It's crazy that I struggled more on random Odachi/Axe swordsmen than I did on many of the human bosses, and it's almost entirely because they had more superarmor for whatever reason.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Should I be doing all of the side missions? Or just focus on the main missions

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Should I be doing all of the side missions? Or just focus on the main missions

You'll want to do all the missions you can. Side missions may contain their own exclusive gear to get, other special items that can help you out, or may serve as the best place to grind rematches against certain targets that drop special skills for your weapons, Soul Cores or smithing texts that you can use to craft gear at the Blacksmith.

You'll also need to do certain side missions in order to unlock other side missions that resolve certain things in the story, too, if you care about that.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
There is a quest in the 6th region to find the blacksmiths grandfather. Complete that and you'll unlock some stuff in the blacksmith, including remodeling. But do note that the gear needs to have +# values on them to allow remodeling and it uses a unique resource that needs 4 different yokai boss parts to craft. You get a few from the get go and each time you clear a NG+ mission for the first time though.
Thanks ! I don't have to worry about for the time being then, and anyway I'm using Hatchets and rifle with a little magic support, so full majority of my points will likely stay in Skill.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Quick question; I'm in NG+, but there's a blank slot in the shrine rotating menu that still hasn't unlocked for me. Is it related to co-op or something else?

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
My very first thought before reading who it was, was "Oh, that looks like William", then when it was revealed to be Dante, I thought "Yeah, I can totally see that too." They did a good job I think.
True, there's just a lot of dudes with that look out there. Elric, Sephiroth...

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
My very first thought before reading who it was, was "Oh, that looks like William", then when it was revealed to be Dante, I thought "Yeah, I can totally see that too." They did a good job I think.

Ok, here is a needlessly in-depth response because else i would have to actually work in the home office:

It´s the hair. White man + half-ponytail always looks like Geralt at first glance, that was already a "Problem" with William or Samurai-Geralt, as true fans call him i heard.
Don´t know why, probably because TW3 was so popular and the hairstyle became kinda Geralts "thing", it even invaded the Netflix Series.
NiOh2 really doesn´t have much options for mens´ hair either, its either tied into a knot/ponytail or you get that DQ11 Hero-Hair :/ Longer white hair + white dude = instant Sephiroth (or Elric, depending on whether you were bullied at school because you read fantasy books or played Videogames).

Going by the actual faces, they all look markedly different though. Here are some Pictures i spent 15 Minutes searching because that was a good reason to postpone our daily zoom-meeting at least for a bit.

Geralt (notice the indifference mixed with a dash of Sadness and self-loathing. Classic!):

DfNuNb_WsAI4NF5.jpg

William (Dat Chin!!)

maxresdefault.jpg

Dante (the only one with an actual, 3D-scanned human face!):

47263443652_6a7b9ae003_h.jpg

Last edited:

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh... I'm really getting tired of this game's bullshit. These gank squads are really unfun.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
One of the things I don't like in Nioh 2 is there is like 10+ sets that have +100-150 life as a two piece set bonus. Given that all builds run yasukani this is SUPER boring gameplay wise. I was looking through stuff yesterday and there is very few interesting two piece bonuses and even fewer that might fit your build(1 was focused on status burning the other was onmyo power). For me there was basically only Mataza that was kind of appealing(you get a tiger sprint like buff after killing something)

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh... I'm really getting tired of this game's bullshit. These gank squads are really unfun.
I still have no idea where this particular line of complaints stems from. There are some encounters where you are actually forced to fight several enemies at once, but vast majority of them can be prevented by using your ranged options to thin out ranged enemies and creeps hanging from ceilings and trees. Plus there is the two ninjutsu stealth combination where, barring a few exceptions, you actually need to bump into enemies to aggro them.

The game gives ample tools handle such situations.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017

Which part are you at? I finished the game and never had to fight more than 2 enemies at once. You can always bait them one by one or snipe range enemies. If you're surrounded by the mob then you approached them the wrong way.

But I must say that the design philosophy in this game is not good, too many bs just for the sake of 'challenge'.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Gyuki is defeated. That kind of fight shouldn't exist in fast-paced combat like Nioh at all. I died 16 times before being able to clear that fight with only using 1 Elixir by exploiting his weakness to ass in terms of AI. When I learned I could block his jump attacks (no damage, although it drained full Ki) the fight became much easier. It had way too much HP and defense too so I wasn't doing much damage. At least the mission is over.

Last edited:

Eterno

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I think I'm done with this game for a while and I found my issue with it. I've played all the side missions of all previous regions (not a good idea!) and made it to Region 4 and I'm at the boss of the first mission. Died a good 10 times against him and I realized I simply don't care to try more. As much as I appreciate the gameplay, the utter lack of story (why even bother with cutscenes at this point?) and boring level design gives me no motivation to try and get gud! anymore. It made me realize how big Sekiro and Bloodborne world building's part played a role in making both games my GOTY. It's weird because I didn't feel this way with Nioh 1 that I enjoyed all the way to the end. While I don't remember the details I feel Nioh 1 had a story and I guess the novelty of gameplay and universe was good enough.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I loathe is the fact they didn't learn from one of the loudest complaints about Nioh 1s level design. Why, with such a wonderful combat system, are they creating levels full of instant death shallow pools and narrow walkways / tunnels where the camera control goes wonky? There is nothing more frustrating that dying to a shallow pool of water on a narrow ledge in a level entirely built of narrow ledges and shallow water. It's the only time I feel that the death and difficulty system really is cheap.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I still have no idea where this particular line of complaints stems from. There are some encounters where you are actually forced to fight several enemies at once, but vast majority of them can be prevented by using your ranged options to thin out ranged enemies and creeps hanging from ceilings and trees. Plus there is the two ninjutsu stealth combination where, barring a few exceptions, you actually need to bump into enemies to aggro them.

The game gives ample tools handle such situations.

Being obliterated out of the blue and then returning to tediously take out each enemy one by one isn't fun to me. In a From game, dying feels deserved and it feels like I learned something. Dying here often feels cheap and annoying.

Which part are you at? I finished the game and never had to fight more than 2 enemies at once. You can always bait them one by one or snipe range enemies. If you're surrounded by the mob then you approached them the wrong way.

But I must say that the design philosophy in this game is not good, too many bs just for the sake of 'challenge'.

Third main mission of the fourth region. I'm not running headlong into groups of mobs to get cut down, but a lot of the enemy placement I'm just not a fan of.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
Feels like I'm in the minority that think level design is much better than the first game lol Yeah, the enemy placement and trap are cheap at sometimes, but overall I have better sense of direction, know where am I suppose to go, notice the advantage/disadvantage point. I agree It can and should be improve a lot though.

Gyuki is defeated. That kind of fight shouldn't exist in fast-paced combat like Nioh at all. I died 16 times before being able to clear that fight with only using 1 Elixir by exploiting his weakness to ass in terms of AI. When I learned I could block his jump attacks (no damage, although it drained full Ki) the fight became much easier. It had way too much HP and defense too so I wasn't doing much damage. At least the mission is over.

Worst boss in the entire game for me :( His hitbox and floaty movement are so annoying, combine it with ridiculous tracking and massive damage and you get one of the most tedious giant boss. Trying to hit his hide legs was so infuriating. How the hell can he turn around so fast with that body size? Such a cheap boss overall.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Being obliterated out of the blue and then returning to tediously take out each enemy one by one isn't fun to me. In a From game, dying feels deserved and it feels like I learned something. Dying here often feels cheap and annoying.

Third main mission of the fourth region. I'm not running headlong into groups of mobs to get cut down, but a lot of the enemy placement I'm just not a fan of.

I really don't understand this complaint. As someone who has platinum'd all the soulsborne games and both nioh 1 and 2, I feel like both series suffer from cheap, ganky deaths.

Just like with souls, I enter most rooms or areas slowly, and look up and around corners etc.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like I'm in the minority that think level design is much better than the first game lol Yeah, the enemy placement and trap are cheap at sometimes, but overall I have better sense of direction, know where am I suppose to go, notice the advantage/disadvantage point. I agree It can and should be improve a lot though.

Worst boss in the entire game for me :( His hitbox and floaty movement are so annoying, combine it with ridiculous tracking and massive damage and you get one of the most tedious giant boss. Trying to hit his hide legs was so infuriating. How the hell can he turn around so fast with that body size? Such a cheap boss overall.
It is better although I wouldn't say much better(mostly cause I think people give the first game way too little credit). The first game had some really great levels too(the yuki onna level, the last level too) although Mausoleum of Evil for sure is the franchise highlight.
My take is people just need to drop it with how this game isn't a good souls game. EVEN I don't disagree with that I've said it in several threads that Nioh judged by what I think makes a good souls experience is REALLY mediocre. This does not fill my hunger for Elden Ring and the worlds created in Souls in the slightest.
But if you judge it by how it actually makes the diablo style game super engaging with its combat and allows you to create these creative builds and live it out in a 3rd person action game it SLAPS as a game.

It's just not feasible for the type of game to have that level of level design for all their missions and submissions. The structure of the game itself with the all levels being self contained and the volume that needs to be produced just limits the type of environment they can design(and I say this while fully agreeing that they're relying a bit too much on the ladders and door shortcuts that you can spot way to obviously and early). Nioh level design only looks bad compared to Souls which is like an industry leader as far as I'm concerned for that stuff. If you actually compare it to other action rpgs it's still VERY good.
Most Nioh threads on era just read like a subsection of people want a different game. And it's hard to have anything to say on that given that me and others have talked a lot about what type of game Nioh 2 is going to be based on beta stuff.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017

My problem was not the boss' huge damage or any of its attacks but the fucking camera especially when it kept jumping near the wall. So awful.

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
Great, the double boss fights where some of the most frustating things about Nioh 1..

Agreed, it's defintley an easier title but that's probably because I put 60hrs plus into the first one and the combat beyond a few cool additions (burst counter, yokai summons, new weapons ect...) is fairly unchanged.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I copied the anima/onmyo build I saw on reddit. I'm sold, Omnyo is super fun.

I wouldn't use it on my first playthrough though, alot of the good stuff is NG+ stuff.

UNLIMITED BLADE WORKS

Last edited:

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017

What obliterates you out of the blue? Like, sure, I've died to a monkey dropping to my back from a tree and stomping the shit out of me once or twice, but after that, each and every one has gotten an arrow to their face for their troubles. Gaki, Nure-Onna and Enki all have a distinct sound that they make when they are hidden. You hear that, you look around a bit and take the initiative.

And again, if you're tired of taking out each enemy one by one, use the damn stealth option. You can get plenty of ninjutsu stocked with minimal investment. I have dex 8 and I'm still decently stocked with stealth, a few anti-poison and anti-paralysis pills and power pills.