• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
I just ordered this game today. What is the verdict on it now when it has been out for a while? I played and got platinum in the first game, I didn't get any of the dlc though.

Also what awaits me in terms of frustrations? I am pretty much a veteran of these types of games now though after Nioh 1, All of Dark Souls, Sekiro, The Surge 2, Bloodborne .. so yeh.

From what I've seen you can play most of the boss fights in jolly cooperation.
Look up a guide to find out which side missions to do because if you're a completionist, it could burn you out sooner than later.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I've got about three bosses to go, am I spec-ed OK for anyone who's already completed?

EtxZivT.jpg

I only ask because I feel my attack power's lacking and maybe I was too generous designating across the spectrum. I saw a video posted by PowerPyx around the same area I'm in and they had most in the mid-teens with Constitution stacked into the 60s. I know it depends on your build, I'm using a rare Black Lotus (I know it sounds funny given my lack of magic points), and that's around level 130.
Glaives scale mostly with magic, so level 5 magic would explain your damage. At the very least you should change the scaling at the blacksmith (in remodel iirc) to favor constitution or skill if you want to stick to glaives and no magic.

I also think you're spread too thin. Generally speaking it's best to focus heavily on a couple of stats that benefit the weapons you're using.

Also not sure about that yellow encumbrance. If you feel sluggish and lacking in ki recovery, maybe switch to lighter armor.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I love Yokai form since I learned your supposed to use it by cycling your yokai abilties in the form it's the reason I've beaten almost every boss since chapter 2. Also if you use yokai burst and that burst breaks the enemies stamina if you press triangle while you're still shifted during the yokai burst animation it preforms a yokai grab. The way Yokai shift works is causing damage in Yokai form fills your yokai ability gage use the abilities as they fill and you can roll 3 or 4 yokai abilities in one shift.

Last edited:

Neoshockwave

Oct 28, 2017
Would they really have the PS5 logo in the devkit dashboard? Big doubts.
Glaives scale mostly with magic, so level 5 magic would explain your damage. At the very least you should change the scaling at the blacksmith (in remodel iirc) to favor constitution or skill if you want to stick to glaives and no magic.

I also think you're spread too thin. Generally speaking it's best to focus heavily on a couple of stats that benefit the weapons you're using.

Also not sure about that yellow encumbrance. If you feel sluggish and lacking in ki recovery, maybe switch to lighter armor.

Thanks, man. Yeah, I know I wasn't really playing optimally. I've going to re-spec before I jump into 'Cherry Blossom Viewing in Daigo' which is my next mission. I don't seem to have 'Remodel' unlocked yet with the Blacksmith, does anyone know what triggers it unlocking?

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, man. Yeah, I know I wasn't really playing optimally. I've going to re-spec before I jump into 'Cherry Blossom Viewing in Daigo' which is my next mission. I don't seem to have 'Remodel' unlocked yet with the Blacksmith, does anyone know what triggers it unlocking?
Might actually be NG+. I don't remember when I started using it so I didn't realize it wasn't always available.

edit: I googled out of curiosity and it seems to be the Roaming Artisan side quest.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Oh boy, just respecced for a million gold, 99 Skill / 99 Dex; +4 Kusarigamas of every conceivable makeup. Why can't I stop playing this game?

Neoshockwave

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, I've now unlocked 'Remodel' in the Blacksmith, but my desired weapon isn't +value so it can't be modified. I have a few +value weapons but I can't remember how I got them like that, does anyone know?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I've now unlocked 'Remodel' in the Blacksmith, but my desired weapon isn't +value so it can't be modified. I have a few +value weapons but I can't remember how I got them like that, does anyone know?
You find/craft them and hope they have it. You can soul match + equipment in to other stuff though.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I've decided to stop leveling now that I'm lvl. 50. Nioh 1 got absurdly easy in the second half and I'd like to keep the game challenging. I really don't mind having to bang my head against bosses. I just started the 4th region and it's pretty manageable so far, with the caveat that I die super quick to almost everything. Devigorate Talisman is a must. I'll level to 100 once I finish NG for the trophy.

Oh, and I just lost almost 2 million Amrita to a fucking Gaki that ambushed me.

Azai Nagamasa fight made my hands hurt... damn that shit kept me on my toes.

Took me about 30 tires. It's a fun fight but some of his attacks while in the Dark Realm are really tricky to avoid. Never got the hang of the Burst Counter timing either.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Took me about 30 tires. It's a fun fight but some of his attacks while in the Dark Realm are really tricky to avoid. Never got the hang of the Burst Counter timing either.

Yeah i avoided his 1st special air attack and instead waited for the 2nd in the ground to burst counter with the feral, timing pretty easy on that one.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I've decided to stop leveling now that I'm lvl. 50. Nioh 1 got absurdly easy in the second half and I'd like to keep the game challenging. I really don't mind having to bang my head against bosses. I just started the 4th region and it's pretty manageable so far, with the caveat that I die super quick to almost everything. Devigorate Talisman is a must. I'll level to 100 once I finish NG for the trophy.

Oh, and I just lost almost 2 million Amrita to a fucking Gaki that ambushed me.

I don't think levels makes much of a difference tbh. Also the first softcaps are like at 10.

Is all about gear.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i avoided his 1st special air attack and instead waited for the 2nd in the ground to burst counter with the feral, timing pretty easy on that one.

My strategy was to keep distance and only bait his air attack (while blocking everything) and blocking it because it doesn't cost much ki (initially I thought it was unblockable though and only tried to avoid it), then hit thrice and retreat. Repeat until dark realm. For dark realm, if the boss started flying and do the projectile + grab/burst attack, I waited until projectiles approached me and then dodged twice to side to avoid everything. When he was on ground, I just kept running circles through the arena until dark realm ended. In second normal phase onwards, he'd do the wide projectile attack almost directly after baiting the air attack and punishing it, so I hitted him twice, retreat and block the projectile. Repeat until win.

Took me a while to figure it out (and more than 10 deaths), but it made the whole fight very simple.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
My strategy was to keep distance and only bait his air attack (while blocking everything) and blocking it because it doesn't cost much ki (initially I thought it was unblockable though and only tried to avoid it), then hit thrice and retreat. Repeat until dark realm. For dark realm, if the boss started flying and do the projectile + grab/burst attack, I waited until projectiles approached me and then dodged twice to side to avoid everything. When he was on ground, I just kept running circles through the arena until dark realm ended. In second normal phase onwards, he'd do the wide projectile attack almost directly after baiting the air attack and punishing it, so I hitted him twice, retreat and block the projectile. Repeat until win.

Took me a while to figure it out (and more than 10 deaths), but it made the whole fight very simple.

I actually found that being agressive in the first phase was easier for me, but man you gotta be fast otherwise he gets you and don't be greedy, do 2 attacks after his dive roll to his back another 2 attacks and move away to recover. But that probably only works for people light equipment (A level weight), but man my hunds were hurting after like 1h trying to beat him.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I actually found that being agressive in the first phase was easier for me, but man you gotta be fast otherwise he gets you and don't be greedy, do 2 attacks after his dive roll to his back another 2 attacks and move away to recover. But that probably only works for people light equipment (A level weight), but man my hunds were hurting after like 1h trying to beat him.

I can imagine :D I found that if I was aggressive he'd use wing guard often which made me suspectible to everything afterwards if it connected. Also his grab attacks have really short tells in normal phase.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit surprising how they've held back on affix rolls on loot from the nioh 1 dlc. There is surprisingly few things to roll for in a way. That makes the endgame for builds currently somewhat straightforward which can be good but it possibly limits creativity although I've been seeing quite a few new things as well anima onmyo and fist are the new degenerate builds from what I've seen.

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
Two tough bosses back to back.
Both Maeda and Katsuie
I died about 7 times to the latter boss and had to rely on Sloth talisman to get decent damage in. I hate relying on it sometimes but it's the only boss I felt I've really needed it for.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I can imagine :D I found that if I was aggressive he'd use wing guard often which made me suspectible to everything afterwards if it connected. Also his grab attacks have really short tells in normal phase.

Yep the wing was a problem, i found that if i try to push 3/4 attacks i would always get block by the wing and get screwed, so 2 attacks only in front then back was the right amount.
In the second 1st phase when he starts doing ranged slashes then it's easier being more agressive since he don't have the wing blocking when he does it.

I enjoyed this fight a lot.

Oct 28, 2017
Well region 5 is where I drop this game. They still can't make boss fights that aren't massive pieces of shit, level design is still boring, and the hitboxes on bosses are crap at best.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
True, I should have tried attacking more to shorten the fight considerably I was probably too conscious to deplete my ki too fast. Loved the fight thoroughly though :D Kept me on my toes.

KDReyes92

Oct 25, 2017
Man I feel like i really should not have done every side mission and twilight mission up to the 4th area because now I'm burnt out and just running through areas trying to get to the end of the game.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Wait, are they just wholesale reusing missions/levels from the first game now?
Not sure what you mean. Some very minor side-missions (usually 1v1 duels) re-use areas from Nioh 1 like the Iga boss room or whatnot, but that's really not a big deal?

This game is really not great..
🤷‍♀️
I think it's pretty great. My GOTY so far, though if Elden Ring is 2020, that'll probably win easily.

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Lazy dev rhetoric
Not sure what you mean. Some very minor side-missions (usually 1v1 duels) re-use areas from Nioh 1 like the Iga boss room or whatnot, but that's really not a big deal?

🤷‍♀️
I think it's pretty great. My GOTY so far, though if Elden Ring is 2020, that'll probably win easily.
I dunno, I guess when you're already reusing the same levels for every side mission reusing levels from the first game feels super lazy.

Glad you like it.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, it feels so good to run through earlier missions when you're overlevelled and stacked to hell and back. Even some of the early NG+ missions are quite easy, though some monsters have insane amounts of HP.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Had a weird bug in the daily Enenra twilight mission. The corpse with the key didn't have loot glow.

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
I just ordered this game today. What is the verdict on it now when it has been out for a while? I played and got platinum in the first game, I didn't get any of the dlc though.

Also what awaits me in terms of frustrations? I am pretty much a veteran of these types of games now though after Nioh 1, All of Dark Souls, Sekiro, The Surge 2, Bloodborne .. so yeh.

From what I've seen you can play most of the boss fights in jolly cooperation.

Pretty much the same as you, platted the first one and play a lot of hardcore ARPGS. It's not too bad, the bosses on average are easier than Nioh 1 and I've heard there's no double boss frustrations like I can remember from the first game (Other shore and Nioh side missions from Nioh 1 can still get fucked even now.) There's a couple of speedbumps, but if you've managed the first one this one is easier.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Region 5... the second boss of the first mission. *cries* The game has been easy-ish up until this point, but now this is messed up, lol.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I think the game is pretty great and although there are valid criticisms, the build making in this game is so fun and varied that it keeps it fresh. If you aren't into buildmaking and seeing what you can bring out of the system though, it might not be for you in the long term. Nioh is as easy or as hard as you want it to be depending on build.

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
This game is really not great..

I disagree wholeheartedly, despite the shortcomings (story is hard to track, samey enemies which is arguable considering how many there are, filler side content) it's easily the best game I've played in quite some time. The combat, boss and monster designs alongside the deep and varied armor, weapon and skill system makes this a really addictive game. I'm happy to talk about why you don't like the game/I do but you'll have to offer more than six words.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
there is valid criticism and non of it I've read in this thread. People just have a very very poor understanding about this game. *shrug* It gets too tiresome though to repeat that the core loop of nioh is the diablo loot grind and all it entails. Truly don't get people struggling so insanely hard to write these super frustrated venting posts when this game gives you like 912710982710 tools to destroy whatever.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Region 5... the second boss of the first mission. *cries* The game has been easy-ish up until this point, but now this is messed up, lol.
Yep ;_; almost broke me. I suggest using Flexile (erm, Ryomen Sukuna)'s yokai ability from time to time, it can inflict the water status, if you stack this with a poison status and have an accessory that boosts damage to poisoned enemies, you can do decent damage (otherwise he's suuuuper tanky).

Being capped at 4 elixirs was rough for me against that boss. If you have the rejuvenation onmyo for extra heals and/or Quick-change scroll that can help with survivability.

Good luck!

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I REALLY thing should be improved is the fact that there is no preview of the transmog system. Forced to pay to see what it looks like on your character.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Pretty much the same as you, platted the first one and play a lot of hardcore ARPGS. It's not too bad, the bosses on average are easier than Nioh 1 and I've heard there's no double boss frustrations like I can remember from the first game (Other shore and Nioh side missions from Nioh 1 can still get fucked even now.) There's a couple of speedbumps, but if you've managed the first one this one is easier.

Great, the double boss fights where some of the most frustating things about Nioh 1..

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Yep ;_; almost broke me. I suggest using Flexile (erm, Ryomen Sukuna)'s yokai ability from time to time, it can inflict the water status, if you stack this with a poison status and have an accessory that boosts damage to poisoned enemies, you can do decent damage (otherwise he's suuuuper tanky).

Being capped at 4 elixirs was rough for me against that boss. If you have the rejuvenation onmyo for extra heals and/or Quick-change scroll that can help with survivability.

Good luck!
Which boss was this again?

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I thought Switchglaive/Onmyo builds were pretty lackluster but then I saw an Onmyo/Anima build and it looks super fun (and of course abuses Otakemaru).