• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
It's cool how human bosses can drop skills. I just got "ultimate sign of the cross" from a dual swords boss.

I FINALLY got a skill drop from Yoshitatsu, last night.

Only problem is that it was "Dragon Fang", for Sword...and I haven't used Swords at all during my playthrough! Ah, well, gave me incentive to start putting them into circulation! At the least, this last update made it so earning proficiency for a weapon I wasn't using is going pretty quick! Almost forgot how fun this weapon can be!

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I asked for help on a boss on Reddit two people showed up to help within 2 minutes of the post going up they rocked the boss. I hope I'm that good at the game one day.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Can any bosses drop Hatchet or Glaive skills that you anyone knows of?

Also, there's an absolutely gorgeous song that plays in the mission that ends on a beach, I'll go to my post on the previous page to find the name of that mission. If anyone knows the OST that'd be amazing.

Edit: Mission "A Message for the Deceased."

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else been noticing the occasional dropped input when using items, especially elixirs? I thought either it was simply not registering, or maybe the "use" animation wasn't finishing before the next attack would hit me, but it seems like this is actually a common problem.

On another note, I think a stamina gouging Odachi/Axe build is probably one of the easiest in the game. Not only do you get to wear heavy armor and keep a B agility, you get the second most life out of the stat next to constitution and both of the weapons have moderate to good damage scaling with it too.

The Odachi is a pretty versatile weapon that's pretty good at most things, with a great moveset, and the axe is more situational, but when it shines, it's absurdly strong. The axe demolishes most non boss Yokai without them even getting a single attack off (snake women are the exception, and the Odachi eats them), and against human boss duels, you can chain interrupt many of their attacks with the axe and also do crazy amounts of ki damage.

Last edited:

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone else been noticing the occasional dropped input when using items, especially elixirs? I thought either it was simply not registering, or maybe the "use" animation wasn't finishing before the next attack would hit me, but it seems like this is actually a common problem.

On another note, I think a stamina gouging Odachi/Axe build is probably one of the easiest in the game. Not only do you get to wear heavy armor and keep a B agility, you get the second most life out of the stat next to constitution and both of the weapons have moderate to good damage scaling with it too.

The Odachi is a pretty versatile weapon that's pretty good at most things, with a great moveset, and the axe is more situational, but when it shines, it's absurdly strong. The axe demolishes most non boss Yokai without them even getting a single attack off (snake women are the exception, and the Odachi eats them), and against human boss duels, you can chain interrupt many of their attacks with the axe and also do crazy amounts of ki damage.

I used a standard sword build and played pretty defensively until I had the resources to respec heavy magic Glaive & Hatchets. I'm glad I did. I use primarily high stance for both and imbue Hatchet Throw with +Magic Damage. I've been cheesing and kiting so many hard mobs. I ignore strength and stamina and only use enough dex to play around with poison shurikens. The build synergizes insanely well with a few key stats and with Ninetails / Firestarter set / Fox mask / +Fire Damage trinkets I can nuke anything without fire resist. It's a ton of fun.

Edit: And of course I have a set of Fire Hatchets and Switchglaives.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I just beat the 6th area and...

Holy shit now the final(?) zone takes place AFTER Nioh 1!?!?

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. Mission 2 was level 10. Mission 3 is level 24?! Everything is destroying me.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
You mean when you even hear the use sound, but nothing happens? It's been annoying me since the first game. I think it has something to do with rolling/sprinting right before. I know dodging right after can cancel an item, but it seems to happen sometimes even if I don't touch X.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So just out of curiosity, have they said anything about the exclusivity timeframe with the PS4 version?

I'm not port begging, I'm still deep into my first playthrough of the first game so I'm in no rush for buying the sequel and I have no issue buying it on PS4 if necessary but I always prefer playing on PC when possible.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I was expecting the worst but I actually defeated the Owl boss relatively pain free.

1. I used a long weapon like the Switchglaive
2. I used barrier tailsman and lightning tailsman. While I'm sure the former helped a lot I don't know if the latter did anything to it.
3. I switch to high stance when hitting the red orb in the dark realm and it went down in one combo.

It wasn't without any hiccups though- the hit box is wonky and the boss doesn't stay down for long, leading to a lot of missed executions.

But overall it wasn't bad at all. Definitely another boss where you have play it patient and not unga bunga.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So just out of curiosity, have they said anything about the exclusivity timeframe with the PS4 version?

I'm not port begging, I'm still deep into my first playthrough of the first game so I'm in no rush for buying the sequel and I have no issue buying it on PS4 if necessary but I always prefer playing on PC when possible.

They have said nothing.

--------------

Anyway regarding after Zone 6...

Okay this seems a bit insane? Like every mission is Twilight Level difficulty. Most big enemies can 2 shot you or even do a quick non-burst counterable grab that will one shot you.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
They have said nothing.

--------------

Anyway regarding after Zone 6...

Okay this seems a bit insane? Like every mission is Twilight Level difficulty. Most big enemies can 2 shot you or even do a quick non-burst counterable grab that will one shot you.
Bummer, all right, thanks!

Well back to the first game in the meantime!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So uh...

I just did the mission "The Shiftling's Wise Judgement and I saw multiple NPC's standing around and completely unaware that I was "choosing sides" I apparently chose the Humans over the Yokai? Is this going to have any actual impact on the game? Also what does this key item do that you get?
Wut? There's a choice here?

I guess I uh, sided with the yokai...

The Switchblade is pretty awesome and good fun:

OK I can't hold my tongue any longer, what's with the creepy waifu thumbnails

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting the worst but I actually defeated the Owl boss relatively pain free.

1. I used a long weapon like the Switchglaive
2. I used barrier tailsman and lightning tailsman. While I'm sure the latter helped a lot I don't know if the former did anything to it.
3. I switch to high stance when hitting the red orb in the dark realm and it went down in one combo.

It wasn't without any hiccups though- the hit box is wonky and the boss doesn't stay down for long, leading to a lot of missed executions.

But overall it wasn't bad at all. Definitely another boss where you have play it patient and not unga bunga.
Regarding #2, I would be surprised if the former didn't help even more than the latter. That boss is almost purely about ki and vomits yokai realm constantly.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Mission 3 in 2nd region is awesome. Managed to open shortcut near second shrine before actually using the shrine itself yet. I have found all kodamas, opened the third shrine near the boss and still no idea how to enable the shortcut near the first shortcut in the beginning of level. Looks like I have to explore more later on.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I'm loving this game so much more than the first. Way more enemy variety. Levels are more clever. Gameplay is deeper. Soundtrack's awesome. Cutscenes aren't pointless. Characters are more compelling. I'm so taken with the feedback loop of mission > sub-mission > reforge gear > repeat. Customizability is bonkers.

Only complaint is how tedious electing to dismantle / sell / offer your gear becomes.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
The grab attack tells are absolutely atrocious, especially in the dark realm. So many frustrating design decisions, sigh.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Wut? There's a choice here?
There's actually three choices here, no idea what it changes in the long run though.

Only complaint is how tedious electing to dismantle / sell / offer your gear becomes.
If you know you have the gear you want equipped/locked you can hold triangle and just scroll over the list to highlight multiple things. Makes it a lot faster to do that stuff.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Hit a roadblock with the Katsuie boss (first one in the fifth region, I believe). Can't seem to do shit to him, his health pool is massive. The worst attack is when he goes into crouching mode in the Dark Realm and keeps running around, putting down fires everywhere. Don't know what the tactic is for that one. Anyone have any suggestions?

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game last night. I knew I would love the game and personally I liked all the stuff they added. I don't feel like it changes the way Nioh plays but just add some extra flavor to it. Also I never would dream of a Nioh game having some of my favorite areas ever in gaming. They stepped up the environment design a ton, some really great looking areas.

I never touched NG+ in Nioh (only the DLC) so not sure what I should aim for now, do I just rerun all the missions? I finished the first mission in NG+ and just destroyed everything there even though the req Lv was 20 lvls higher than me. I thought NG+ was going to be harder? I am supposed to go for the green gear now, right? Also gear with +1 etc started to drop now as well. I feel like the real Nioh started in NG+ and I am slightly confused about what my goal should be haha.

Hit a roadblock with the Katsuie boss (first one in the fifth region, I believe). Can't seem to do shit to him, his health pool is massive. The worst attack is when he goes into crouching mode in the Dark Realm and keeps running around, putting down fires everywhere. Don't know what the tactic is for that one. Anyone have any suggestions?
What I did was abusing dodge. You can go through him on most attacks but the attack you mention I think I dodged to the sides. And from what I remember poison was really good vs that boss.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017

I just sprinted around him and kept dodging those raging bull attacks to the side.

Ubume and Yatsu-no-Kami yokai abilities took care of his ki to get him out of his Dark Realm quicker. And I used purification talismans, which are basically my go to for any yokai fight.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. Took me 15 tries but eventually I beat him, phew. By far my biggest obstacle so far, can't even grasp why he was such a pain for me. Blew through my entire stash of elixirs (50-something) for this asshole :(

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Man the last mission (specially the boss fight) of region 2 is so good!
I like how (s)he uses the two spirits that you didn't pick at the beginning of the game.

I wish I knew more about Japanese history though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you got to fight Jin Hayabusa. Rewards included the ninja gear, dragon sword, and the izuna drop as a skill. It was quite good.

Did the Dragon Sword have any cool innate passive? I feel like it should get some kind of damage boost based on how much Amrita you absorb in combat.

Oct 25, 2017
Did the Dragon Sword have any cool innate passive? I feel like it should get some kind of damage boost based on how much Amrita you absorb in combat.

no it's just like any other sword, but when you wear the whole Hayabusa set (7 total) ito appearance would turn into the True Dragon Sword. Nice little reference.

you can also get the fire ball nippo as a ninjitsu move. The only thing that you couldn't get, but would've died plenty from, is flying swallow.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
no it's just like any other sword, but when you wear the whole Hayabusa set (7 total) ito appearance would turn into the True Dragon Sword. Nice little reference.

you can also get the fire ball nippo as a ninjitsu move. The only thing that you couldn't get, but would've died plenty from, is flying swallow.

Flying Swallow was amazing, but William was never very good at getting off the ground.

Oct 25, 2017
I really dont like that you can "miss" shortcuts or shrines.

Kinda fucking annoying.

I did the first mission of the second area where the end boss was that dude with the fucked up teeth.

I stumbled into the boss area and there was no indication that it was a boss area.
I had to fight a new boss with 38k souls on me and the last shrine was a fucking mile away through a bunch of shit. (that high area with that tengu coming out of that cave)

And its like, why are you like this? Just put a shrine or a very obvious shortcut right infront of the boss area. Dont make me wade through a bunch of crap again.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I really dont like that you can "miss" shortcuts or shrines.

Kinda fucking annoying.

I did the first mission of the second area where the end boss was that dude with the fucked up teeth.

I stumbled into the boss area and there was no indication that it was a boss area.
I had to fight a new boss with 38k souls on me and the last shrine was a fucking mile away through a bunch of shit. (that high area with that tengu coming out of that cave)

And its like, why are you like this? Just put a shrine or a very obvious shortcut right infront of the boss area. Dont make me wade through a bunch of crap again.

You can always use a travel amulet to go back to a shrine if you don't want to risk losing all your amrita.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Any easy ways to increase ninja proficiency, I think I need 100k more to unlock mystic art dojo mission.

Been really easy to passively level up omnyo proficiency with divination talisman as it lasts a long time and any damage you counts towards it. Anything similar in ninja tree?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Any easy ways to increase ninja proficiency, I think I need 100k more to unlock mystic art dojo missions.

Been really easy to passively level up omnyo proficiency with divination talisman as it lasts a long time and any damage you counts towards it. Anything similar in ninja tree?

I'm pretty sure inflicting damage over time works toward your proficiency. So using fire element or poison element Ninjutsu and inflicting DOT with it should help your proficiency grow faster.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a kusurgama( sp) user so I put some points into ninjitsu.

Is that a good tree though vs magic? Magic just seems.....better. So far anyways. Ninjitsu is just like "heres some shuriken that do 3 damage. Enjoy!"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a kusurgama( sp) user so I put some points into ninjitsu.

Is that a good tree though vs magic? Magic just seems.....better. So far anyways. Ninjitsu is just like "heres some shuriken that do 3 damage. Enjoy!"

You can absolutely do insane damage with ninjutsu if you build around it, same as with onmyo magic. It all comes down to your build, your gear, and your skill loadout. There are armor sets (Fuma Ninja, etc) that give huge passive increases to ninjutsu power, and your shuriken can go from doing "barely more damage than a rock" to "one quarter of a boss' health gauge" per hit.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Yoo, The Mausoleum of Evil main mission. Holy shit I love it. It's definitely my favourite level so far.

Thanks. Took me 15 tries but eventually I beat him, phew. By far my biggest obstacle so far, can't even grasp why he was such a pain for me. Blew through my entire stash of elixirs (50-something) for this asshole :(

Grats! Yeah he took me a lot of tries too, more than almost all the bosses before him.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Is the Sloth Talisman still broken in this one? :)

Edit: I meant so good that it breaks a lot of bosses!

Last edited:

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestions on how to go about stat building for Switchglaive/Onmyo?

I currently have 55 in MAG, 10 in CON, HRT, and SKL, the rest 5. Should I just keep dumping into MAG until 99?

I'm also considering going into SKL now and using Hatchets as secondary, since it also pumps Switchglaive somewhat