• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried I'm going to invest time into leveling a weapon that isn't actually good. I don't want a mediocre weapon/build in such a hard game.

Any recommendations? I mostly used the katana in the first game. I wanted to go Onmyo here, but I'm hearing that the scythe isn't so hot?

What are the really strong weapons in Nioh 2?
They are all super strong and it depends on your own playstyle.
But 2 OP builds I've seen are survivors from the first game 1 is a dualblade paralyze boost build and the other is the kunai/shuriken shinobi build.
People will discover way more as time goes on. For progression though I hear switchglaive might have a difficult early/midgame although I've also heard endgame it's owning again.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Working on Enenra. Kills me in two hits and it takes me forever to wear him down. I'm level 18. Ugh. Am I too underlevelled?
He's really hard. I can't remember what level I was myself though so IDK if you are underlevelled or not.

Are you using the pillars to get the water status effect on him? It helps with damage for a bit.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I'm worried I'm going to invest time into leveling a weapon that isn't actually good. I don't want a mediocre weapon/build in such a hard game.

Any recommendations? I mostly used the katana in the first game. I wanted to go Onmyo here, but I'm hearing that the scythe isn't so hot?

What are the really strong weapons in Nioh 2?

i can only say that the game got easier for me once I switched from the Axe to the Katana

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Kunai/Shuriken build melts most things in the game, but you also die to a breeze.

Onmyo builds are probably only OP once you hit endgame, doing Onmyo your first run sounds rough.

Oct 29, 2017
Are people liking the switchglaive? Personally, I'm loving it as someone who rolled with sword/dual swords in the original game.

Looking forward to the synergy with Omyo as well.

Last edited:

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Are people liking the switchglaive? Personally, I'm loving it as someone who rolled with sword/dual swords in the original game.

Looking forward to the synergy with Omyo as well.
That is what I mained through all of Nioh 1 and I'm currently going Switchglaive and Dual Swords. Granted, I tend to use the swords when the going gets tough, but I find the weapon fun to use.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I have been jumping around with weapons, I went from Sword to Switchglaive and now using the Odachi but I never dropped the Tonfas. I will keep them until the end haha.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
One of the prevailing theories (and one of the more logical ones) is that one of Nobunaga's more ruthless tactics indirectly led to Mitsuhide's mother being murdered by one of Nobunaga's political enemies, and Mitsuhide held a grudge for some time that festered and got worse due to Nobunaga's rather careless treatment of his chief retainers. Hideyoshi and Mitsuhide were both frequent targets of Nobunaga's rather mercurial nature, and it's fairly easy to believe that over time Mitsuhide had less and less patience for it, especially after his mother was killed because of his lord's own brutality.

Some of those theories are based off of things that came about during the Edo era, afterward, and are the stuff of fiction. The few first hand accounts of the time that we have, like Luis Frois and Ota Gyuichi's accounts, state that Mitsuhide a) never had a parent that was lost due to Nobunaga's actions, b) never suffered excessive abuse (beyond more demonstrable ribbing like being called "Kumquat", because of his bald head) or c) really took serious issue with Nobunaga's brutality (like the massacre of the monks at Mt. Hiei).

What scant details exist state Mitsuhide was just a conniving, ambitious sort that was always seeking a means to rise to the top. It's very possible the guy could've just been a Starscream lying in wait, in addition to possible other reasons to have a grudge (like Nobunaga showing favor to his other retainers, or fearing that his usefulness to Nobunaga was jeopardized after the Chosokabe clan talks fell apart). But in the end, as stated otherwise, we really don't know!

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
It's funny - I just finished the main story, and I 100% engaged more with this one's story than the first. Same with pretty much everything else in the game - the enemy variety, the new mechanics, and the level design all easily made it a better game than the first IMO, and I already greatly enjoyed Nioh.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I beat the snake a few days ago and have done nothing the last few days except letting myself get summoned to help other people get over that hump. I 100% have the snake's number now. The only issue I run into is that the person who summons me will die half the time from going overly aggressive. Very easy to get combo'd to death after the tail swipe since that hits so hard.

Game is a lot of fun, though I still think level design/enemy placement is the biggest issue. Cheap ganks wouldn't be an issue if damage also wasn't so high. I get damage is high because of how mobile the player is, but high damage + unfair enemy placement ends up leading to a lot of deaths that feel unavoidable, and that's not fun in this type of game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Some of those theories are based off of things that came about during the Edo era, afterward, and are the stuff of fiction. The few first hand accounts of the time that we have, like Luis Frois and Ota Gyuichi's accounts, state that Mitsuhide a) never had a parent that was lost due to Nobunaga's actions, b) never suffered excessive abuse (beyond more demonstrable ribbing like being called "Kumquat", because of his bald head) or c) really took serious issue with Nobunaga's brutality (like the massacre of the monks at Mt. Hiei).

What scant details exist state Mitsuhide was just a conniving, ambitious sort that was always seeking a means to rise to the top. It's very possible the guy could've just been a Starscream lying in wait, in addition to possible other reasons to have a grudge (like Nobunaga showing favor to his other retainers, or fearing that his usefulness to Nobunaga was jeopardized after the Chosokabe clan talks fell apart). But in the end, as stated otherwise, we really don't know!

Yeah. Like I said, it's one of history's more compelling wartime/political mysteries. We'll never know.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
The Gyuki fight was probably the worst one so far. It had tons of HP and most of the time I had to stay close to it with the camera becoming a mess.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I beat the snake a few days ago and have done nothing the last few days except letting myself get summoned to help other people get over that hump. I 100% have the snake's number now. The only issue I run into is that the person who summons me will die half the time from going overly aggressive. Very easy to get combo'd to death after the tail swipe since that hits so hard.

Game is a lot of fun, though I still think level design/enemy placement is the biggest issue. Cheap ganks wouldn't be an issue if damage also wasn't so high. I get damage is high because of how mobile the player is, but high damage + unfair enemy placement ends up leading to a lot of deaths that feel unavoidable, and that's not fun in this type of game.

If you find a gear with enemy sensor it can really help with those enemy placements, I have avoided quite a few of them thanks to it.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Working on Enenra. Kills me in two hits and it takes me forever to wear him down. I'm level 18. Ugh. Am I too underlevelled?

Nah that's the level I beat him at and I'm terrible at this. Took me like a dozen tries.
get between him and the pillars, the water that falls when he breaks the pillars will really bring down his Ki. Dash in and try and get 2 hits and dash back out. Keep moving in a circle around the room the entire time.

if I remember correctly, he has a 4 hit combo And 2 hit combo. You can punish him after he's done those combos.

you can also add water magic to your weapon.

lastly, you absolutely have to burst counter when he turns red and does the tornado thing.

Oct 29, 2017
Nah that's the level I beat him at and I'm terrible at this. Took me like a dozen tries.
get between him and the pillars, the water that falls when he breaks the pillars will really bring down his Ki. Dash in and try and get 2 hits and dash back out. Keep moving in a circle around the room the entire time.

if I remember correctly, he has a 4 hit combo And 2 hit combo. You can punish him after he's done those combos.

you can also add water magic to your weapon.

lastly, you absolutely have to burst counter when he turns red and does the tornado thing.

Beat it right after I read this reply. I feel like I "knew" all of this info, but I just had to read it all in one place. Thanks!

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Overall, no.

However, if you turn around and drop down the hole near Takechiro, you don't have to choose a side, and get to take on a harder version of the level, which ends in you taking on Katsuie and Aquaman at the same time. At least "team attack" is on to make things a bit more fair on your side.

Thanks that's cool to know

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the third region now. Are there any new enemies that wasn't in the alpha/demo? Many enemies are also from the original game and dlc, and It feels like they spoiled all the new ones already before release

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I couldn't even tell you what the story is about lol
I only just finished world 2, but:
You're a half yokai whose yokai mom got mysteriously murdered when you were a kid and it traumatized you. You reconnect briefly with your human dad at the start of the game, but he gets killed by a horde of yokai sent by your step-sibling for some reason. You then meet a weird merchant guy who is actually some samurai lord asshole being incognito (fun fact he's Ginchiyo's rapist and he's also your comedic side-kick lulz, isn't Team Ninja great), and you both pledge your service to Nobunaga for some reason (whose wife is also your step-sibling... Dosan sure got around), and you help him find amrita because reasons.

I don't know. Can't say that I care. lol

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I've never felt so uninterested in a games story than I have with this.
I'm actually kinda enjoying it. I've watched anime and played games about the sengoku era and nobunaga's conquest though. So I can piece together the story and understand what's going on.

With how often this tale is retold though, I guess they just opted out on elaborating on it.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Beat it right after I read this reply. I feel like I "knew" all of this info, but I just had to read it all in one place. Thanks!

awesome! Yeah we'll all keep sharing tips here. Going to tface that snake boss everyone is having trouble with tomorrow. Should be fun.

I've actually been using it with my Tonfa and Axe build so I haven't touched Magic :p

I think I might respec tonight and try out some magic with it though.

After adding 2 points to magic it made a huge difference already. That said I'm loading up on heart, seeing as how it rewards aggressiveness like Ki and melee weapons.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
You're mixing familiarity and proficiency.

Familiarity is that blue bar on your weapon, once you max it out your weapon's stats and bonuses would increase significantly.

Proficiency is a separate bar which you can see in your "Status" page. Once you fill it up you'll gain a skill point.

familiarity and proficiency are not linked.

So just continue strongest weapon

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'm actually kinda enjoying it. I've watched anime and played games about the sengoku era and nobunaga's conquest though. So I can piece together the story and understand what's going on.

With how often this tale is retold though, I guess they just opted out on elaborating on it.

They're hitting all the highlights for sure.

That's said I think people just aren't reading the pre-mission and post-mission texts. I can understand them not knowing who all these famous generals, but it's not hard to follow the story of where this is going.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Okay. I'm in region 3 and I have to say I'm getting sick to fucking DEATH of this game's penchant for enemies breaking you from full health and stamina and instant killing you. What the fuck is wrong with the damage scaling in regular missions that enemies can do that so regularly? I'm not in light armor, all of my gear is mid or heavy, but enemies are punching through my defenses and MELTING me with attacks.

It's not even bosses, this is REGULAR enemies. What the fuck.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
That warthog boss just broke me. I've died to him dozens of times now. Ground another ten levels and it's made very little difference. I really can't see myself surmounting this.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I've never felt so uninterested in a games story than I have with this.
It's bizarre. The story and particularly how it was told must've been one of the most common and loudest complaints about Nioh, yet they still followed the same exact blueprint to the letter.

One of the playtests with an early mission gave me false hope on this. They made Tokichiro seem half interesting, almost like an actual character. But any pretense of following through on that is dropped fast.

Well, I officially hate fighting Waira. Awkward to burst counter too.
Waira is a quintessential Souls fatty. Get behind it (or even better, to the side to avoid the backflop) and it's pretty much helpless. Brute counter is good, you can smack it the moment it tries anything funny.

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
I'm crushing most bosses on my second or third try, even got the snake on my second,

but I swear this goddamn Karasu Tengu kill me everytime I encounter them, no matter what I do.
In the old game they had one of the higest kill rates
Of course the yokai lady boss had to look like that.
nioh-hino-enma-boss-fight-1024x581.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Started on the third region. I notice I'm using the Kodama Bazaar frequently to resupply my summoning cups and abusing it so I always have any ally with me. This game seems harder doing the levels solo compared to the first game—makes a big difference having an ally to aggro enemies. I'm really enjoying it overall though—have a pretty good handle on the Odachi and I just abuse the snake summon as much as possible lol Are there any other really good summons you guys have found that work well?

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Started on the third region. I notice I'm using the Kodama Bazaar frequently to resupply my summoning cups and abusing it so I always have any ally with me. This game seems harder doing the levels solo compared to the first game—makes a big difference having an ally to aggro enemies. I'm really enjoying it overall though—have a pretty good handle on the Odachi and I just abuse the snake summon as much as possible lol Are there any other really good summons you guys have found that work well?

The snake is really good but I really like the Ippon-Datara summon as well.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
They're hitting all the highlights for sure.

That's said I think people just aren't reading the pre-mission and post-mission texts. I can understand them not knowing who all these famous generals, but it's not hard to follow the story of where this is going.
I read and watched everything up until the end of the fourth region. The game is just largely incoherent / maybe went through a rewrite in the last six months before release or something (I refuse to believe their plan with the main villain was to just have him show up and backstab someone silently every couple of missions, then copy Vergil's exit portal and just in general be unimaginably uninteresting).

Like, you can follow it but... Why would you want to? This is without going into side-missions which inexplicably feature maybe-prophetic visions/hints that are crazy hamfisted and the need to give every guardian spirit its own animated cutscene, no matter how random or unimportant the character giving it to you is.

It's weird KT didn't step in and help Team Ninja out more, because it's not like they haven't done great versions of this material a dozen times before.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Question. If you start a twilight mission and then the daily reset happens, do you stay in the mission or does it kick you out?