• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if they just slowed them down or made them less aggressive or what, but the tengus in this seem so, SOOO much easier to fight than they were in 1. I used to have to cheese them or use magic to get through fights with them, but here they go down nice easy.

Naah, they are hard.

I run past them when possible.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
I solo'd the first game but after 2 hours of trying different weapons and combos and nearly beating it but always falling short I summoned on the snake. If I knew I had that to come back to tomorrow I don't think I would've bothered. Don't see why they needed to drag it out to such a degree, my best weapon barely made a dent.

The balance between "Fucking get in, that was brilliant" and "I don't care anymore, that was bollocks" is a fine one and that boss is firmly in the bollocks category.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I solo'd the first game but after 2 hours of trying different weapons and combos and nearly beating it but always falling short I summoned on the snake. If I knew I had that to come back to tomorrow I don't think I would've bothered. Don't see why they needed to drag it out to such a degree, my best weapon barely made a dent.

The snake wasn't too bad for me... I mostly ran around keeping distance and only rushed in when it did the ground snakes. Took a long time, but paid off.

Its soul core is amazing, fwiw... I need to grind some more out of it, because I can't imagine not keeping it equipped.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
The snake wasn't too bad for me... I mostly ran around keeping distance and only rushed in when it did the ground snakes. Took a long time, but paid off.

Its soul core is amazing, fwiw... I need to grind some more out of it, because I can't imagine not keeping it equipped.
What weapon did you use?

It's funny they think level 15 is enough and after it you beat it you unlock the magic and ninja tutorials. Feels really out of place, unless there's some configuration that makes it a cake walk.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
What weapon did you use?

Spear, high stance... with the ability that added a strong hit to the end of a combo, so I was basically rushing in, hitting weak, strong, strong, and running away until he did that snake ground move again.

During dark mode, I mostly just ran away unless there was a big opening.

It took a minute, like I said, but it definitely worked.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Jeez, the submission "The Viper And The Butterfly" is punching my shit in. The regular-ass Revenant at the very end of the mission is harder than some of the main mission bosses so far, ugh... :(

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Spear, high stance... with the ability that added a strong hit to the end of a combo, so I was basically rushing in, hitting weak, strong, strong, and running away until he did that snake ground move again.

During dark mode, I mostly just ran away unless there was a big opening.

It took a minute, like I said, but it definitely worked.
Nice one. I tried sword, odachi, hatchets and switchglaive. The switchglaive was brilliant at getting the ki down but because I didn't have a decent one the damage was minimal even after a perfect cycle. At least I now know it's better to have a few levelled options instead of sticking to the trusty sword, which wasn't at all trusty on this occasion.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Important infos regarding The Interim and characters interactions. This is fairly late in the game so, spoilers.
So as you know eventually characters start appearing in The Interim and talking to them yield side missions.
Two of them, require you to speak to the half-yokai Hachisuka Koroku and the other is Katsuie Shibata. In my case, Katsuie Shibata was nowhere to be found in The Interim, the same
could happen with the other character. Here's what you gotta do if you've been lost/confused like me. All of this is after you complete "Cherry Blossom viewing in Daigo".

I'll focus on the steps to have Shibata appear in The Interim because, for me, Koroku was already there.

- You have to play the mission "The Shiftling's Wise Judgement" in the Dawn region. This is the mission where you pick either Koroku or Shibata at the start then you kill some Yokais and it end with you facing whoever you didn't team with. Team up with Shibata here.

- Then, play "Pervading Waters" in the same region (Dawn) at the middle point, before you fight Magoichi, Shibata will be fighting one of these Yokai with long tongue, help him and because you helped him in step one he'll join you until you reach the other shrine past the big bridge and split up at that point. Talk to him in case, I don't know if it's important but do it anyway.

- Simply finish the mission by killing Gyuki at the end and Shibata should be in the Interim and his respective side mission will unlock. I assume there's something similar with Koroku but in my case he was already in the Interim but considering his dialogue there, it seem to be after the mission where you unfortunately kill him.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Just want to chime in on the difficulty discussion.
I think that, outside of an outlier or two here and there, the bosses are in general easier to handle than Nioh 1's.
The trash mobs, on the other hand, are significantly stronger than they were in the last game.
I can survive boss combo chains, but three hits from a Gaki and I'm out for the count. The tuning is out of whack completely.
This makes getting to the actual bosses a lot harder than it used to be, IMO.

many trash enemies are also easier though, the ninjas are less aggressive, the normal human enemies are easier, the yokai are all easier because of burst countering, you just need to time it. btw, it is not really smart what they did here, in Sekiro you see the Kanji and the unblockable comes directly, in Nioh 2 you see the red aura and sometimes it takes another 2 seconds for the attack so you need to know the timing of every enemy. i think the "hardest" trashmob is the snakelady.

the game is in general much easier than the first game, no question. i didn´t need more than 3(!) tries for any boss so far and i am at the end of the fifth map. i just don´t see any deep mechanics in those bosses, you can pummel them to death with fast attacks and dodging continuously.

i still remember the human enemy fight from the first game in this swaying grass field with the rock in the middle, that fight was harder than every human boss fight in part 2.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
. btw, it is not really smart what they did here, in Sekiro you see the Kanji and the unblockable comes directly, in Nioh 2 you see the red aura and sometimes it takes another 2 seconds for the attack so you need to know the timing of every enemy.

I don't see how this is a bad thing. Sekiro whiffed in this regard imo.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
many trash enemies are also easier though, the ninjas are less aggressive, the normal human enemies are easier, the yokai are all easier because of burst countering, you just need to time it. btw, it is not really smart what they did here, in Sekiro you see the Kanji and the unblockable comes directly, in Nioh 2 you see the red aura and sometimes it takes another 2 seconds for the attack so you need to know the timing of every enemy. i think the "hardest" trashmob is the snakelady.

the game is in general much easier than the first game, no question. i didn´t need more than 3(!) tries for any boss so far and i am at the end of the fifth map. i just don´t see any deep mechanics in those bosses, you can pummel them to death with fast attacks and dodging continuously.

i still remember the human enemy fight from the first game in this swaying grass field with the rock in the middle, that fight was harder than every human boss fight in part 2.
How are you continuously attacking and dodging?

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished a bit early and would now be able to help you again. Do you know how to set a password? At the shrine on the summon visitor screen press triangle to open a settings menu and then you can adjust from no restrictions to a secret word.
ok the password is secret

edit: what the fuck ? that was a brutal beatdown...thank you so much

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Good lord, the main boss for the 5th regions 1st stage is BRUTAL. That grab is doing like 90% of my HP and is *really* hard to dodge...

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Now that i've finished the game proper...

Game's definitely easier than Nioh 1, at least, from a boss perspective. I don't consider it a bad thing mind you, especially the human bosses. Simply because they're fun fights and fun's better than difficult for the sake of being difficult.

I've already mentionned it but in Nioh 1, the human bosses were just plain annoying to fight. They constantly spammed Guardian Spirit and their effect usually lasted until their stamina ran out...but then they'd just use it again not long after while you were left there with no living weapon because the meter doesn't build up against bosses, only way would be to use 2 or 3 spirit stones to fill up the gauge. Late game, a lot of bosses have the Wind element that would always proc on you and killed about 70% of your attack power.

Sure, you can argue Burst Counter might make things easier and yeah, they do but it give you a pretty solid fighting chance so boss fight usually end up being always fun, there's a few stand outs that annoyed me but not a "oh this shit again" like with Nioh 1 human bosses.

Level design's much better, sure in a lot of case it's very big and mazy but I enjoy finding those treasure chests with lots of loots, a lot of time i'm at a boss and I'm like "woah, looks like I haven't visited this chunk of the level" so I look forward to do that when I Kodama hunt in NG+. While the reward for exploration is not "holy shit amazing" I prefer it to Sekiro's. Sekiro nailed the whole verticality and how you approach certain areas but the majority of time you get garbage rewards for exploring. (mibu balloon, trash donuts that last like 5 seconds, etc) sure it had the occasional prosthetic and life bead but tsk, I was severely disappointed with it and it had so much potential.

Combat, isn't all that different, burst counter and yokai skills just add a new layer to it. Someone else said it but it's super satisfying to end a combo with a yokai skill, it just flow so well. I already adressed my thought on Yokai Shift but yeah, I sorta prefer Living Weapon. Turning into a yokai is sweet and all but you need to invest a LOT in the Shiftling tree to make it noteworthy outside of using it against bosses. Against trash mobs (say if you're surrounded by 3 or 4) if you use it, chances are it'll last you like...5 seconds because just moving or dodging depletes it and taking a hit depletes it a LOT.

Still, overall I loved the game and I find it superior to Nioh 1 in pretty much every ways. Like it, I'll probably finish it 5+ times. I'm looking forward to go deeper in NG+ and eventually sink my teeth in the DLCs. While I find it easier than Nioh 1, obviously the experience will vary for everyone, I'm sure there're bosses that killed me more than other players who faced it and vice versa, it's the fun thing with these games. Everyone's experience will vary.

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
Saw someone talking about an OP snake summon everyone uses in Multiplayer. What does that mean? Just the Snake Boss Soul Core attack?

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Saw someone talking about an OP snake summon everyone uses in Multiplayer. What does that mean? Just the Snake Boss Soul Core attack?
Yeah, it's really...really good. The snake just slither back and forth but it does a lot of damage on health and ki and it's good at building up the gauge that reduce the enemies total ki. I've been using it with Namahage and/or Ippon-Datara.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Enki
Hammer bros
Mezuki
Gozuki
Snake lady
Snake boss

These seem to be the commonly recognized as soul cores with good abilities

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
Ok thanks Shanaynay. I will try it.

btw: I just found the soul core of one of this fat cats and lost it out of stupidity. I feel like I lost something really rare, but who knows?

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Enki
Hammer bros
Mezuki
Gozuki
Snake lady
Snake boss

These seem to be the commonly recognized as soul cores with good abilities
People need to add Namahage to the pile, it does insane ki max reduction on bosses without ki, especially when you can first get it. It falls a bit short later but nothing a higher level won't fix. Plus it only cost 5 anima and maybe 2 or 3 use is enough to put bosses in grappling situation.

It's crazy good.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
People need to add Namahage to the pile, it does insane ki max reduction on bosses without ki, especially when you can first get it. It falls a bit short later but nothing a higher level won't fix. Plus it only cost 5 anima and maybe 2 or 3 use is enough to put bosses in grappling situation.

It's crazy good.

Is that the screaming lady Yokai? It was good in the beta. Haven't found her yet.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Tatarimokke was a fun fight, I really liked the stage as well. Bit of puzzle solving never hurts.

It's crazy good.

From the last chance trial, Ubume was also excellent, her soul core reduced the max ki significantly in a couple of seconds.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Naah, they are hard.

I run past them when possible.
They're still shitbirds of the highest order. It's a deeply satisfying feeling when I murder one of these fuckers. I was, however, terribly surprised (and destroyed) by their new multi-hit whirlwind spin bullshit combo. Because of _course_ they have that.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone run in to the Master Swordsman set and does it still boost Sign of The Cross damage?

CatWizard85

Mar 18, 2019
Italy
I just got to the second region. After the demo i was afraid i would cried a lot against that ugly snake, but i managed to beat it on the second try. Still i really dislike it, very awkward design and annoying mechanics.
Apart from the snake, i'm liking everything, I'm so happy this finally came out :D

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

It's crazy good.

Haven't found it yet, will add to the list.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
There's no way to increase the attunement limit except changing the guardian spirit, right?
I want one that has 20 at least.

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't got to play this since I got it last Saturday, but now that I'm under quarantine it's gonna be a trip with it.

Oct 27, 2017
Threw in the towel last night on the first twilight mission. Got through the level okay but the boss just overpowered me. My elixir pool was dwindling so I quit. Any ghost summons I used died within seconds and I couldn't get any real people to join me. I don't think I'll be trying those again until I'm way over the level cap.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Threw in the towel last night on the first twilight mission. Got through the level okay but the boss just overpowered me. My elixir pool was dwindling so I quit. Any ghost summons I used died within seconds and I couldn't get any real people to join me. I don't think I'll be trying those again until I'm way over the level cap.
Fun fact: As opposed to the normal levels, Twilight missions scale with you to a degree. You can never actually "overlevel" them like you can with regular missions.

MegamanXZero

Oct 27, 2017
Rotterdam
This sequel totally slipped by! Thinking about getting the game, in preparation of the lockdown in my country and to kill time before FF7R comes out.
I really enjoyed Nioh and played it a lot! Do you get some sort of bonus or reward for having played Nioh and having a save file on your PS4?

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
This sequel totally slipped by! Thinking about getting the game, in preparation of the lockdown in my country and to kill time before FF7R comes out.
I really enjoyed Nioh and played it a lot! Do you get some sort of bonus or reward for having played Nioh and having a save file on your PS4?
You get a William transformation.