• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I have played more than 400 hours of Nioh 1 and the difficulty here seems the same, maybe even a bit more brutal but you have more tools at your disposal too.

That being said, I struggled way more with bosses in Nioh 1 so far, but that may just be because it was new at the time, while now it's familiar.

I think Hino-enma in Nioh was a real skill check boss that basically tested to make sure you could handle the game's mechanics. I was kind of fumbling my way through the game and just playing it as Loot Souls until everything clicked after I fought her 20 times.

I feel like Nioh 2 doesn't quite have the same early skill check. They throw a tough Yokai at you early to teach you Burst Counters, but I've fought the first 3 bosses and none of them really made me feel like I had to master the mechanics to move forward, which may be why the Nioh 2 bosses don't feel as difficult.

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fuck this stupid fucking snake boss thats been killing me for over 5 hours and now im out of healing items

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Sheesh, been stuck on the third boss for about 3 hours now. Got him within one hit on 3 different occasions. That dark realm is overwhelming as hell for me.

Bait the arm attack when the snake pluges his arms run in and bash his head with high attacks when it ends though you gotta dash out because he'll either do the coil grab or tail whip also The Enara soul is great for killing both the arms when he turns into the yokai realm. I beat it doing that the only time I'd attack outside of the snake grab is when he's trying to impale you with his horn dodge the head or yokai burst it and beat his body as much as you can.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
The biggest problem with this game is that it's such a time sink LOL. I can barely play 1 main mission and a few sub missions before realising I need to sleep ahead if work the next day hahaha. I dont know what they did but it really is clicking way more than nioh 1 for me. New mechanics are ace.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
What weapons are you using? Only the Kusarigama scales well with Dex I believe. Make sure you're taking advantage of Ninjistu if you're in Dex too, kunai and shurikens do smaller damage but they help with keeping your distance and catching your breath with some of the tougher enemies. It might also just be making sure your equipment enhances your playstyle. Dont just go for straight highest defense, make sure the ability modifiers help with your attacks or ki or whatever you're using.

How far are you? Also make sure you're using Burst Counters liberally against enemies, it stuffs a lot of the worst one-shot attacks.
I'm just past the 3rd boss. Went with dual swords and the kusarigama. I did decent damage with the k*, but like I mentioned it misses hits a lot it seems. I did dex and skill evenly because both weapons and ninja scale with those. I picked a lot of ninja up stats on weapons, but it barely does anything

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
fuck this stupid fucking snake boss thats been killing me for over 5 hours and now im out of healing items
When it digs its arms into the ground by its sides (not the front) you have a chance to give its head 1-2 high stance strong attacks. Rinse and repeat the whole fight to beat it easily/cheesily. Dark realm, just run around the arena til it goes away.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
So now you have courage and heart to level up for the stamina, what gives? Dont know if i should continue putting points into both.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
When it digs its arms into the ground by its sides (not the front) you have a chance to give its head 1-2 high stance strong attacks. Rinse and repeat the whole fight to beat it easily/cheesily. Dark realm, just run around the arena til it goes away.
I tried running in the dark realm and got trapped by the boss and the 2 smaller snakes. I didn't even get to use my elixirs LOL.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I tried running in the dark realm and got trapped by the boss and the 2 smaller snakes. I didn't even get to use my elixirs LOL.

Use the Enara soul when it starts the dark realm run up use the tornado it will kill the baby snakes then run out. I guess you could do it before you just gotta be careful you don't get whipped or grabbed.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
Damn lol, maybe taking out a snake quickly would help. What I did was hug one side of the arena while dodging all projectiles. Then the boss would start moving to me to do a physical attack which is when I would run around. Helps to be prepared to block in case you can't avoid it's physical attack.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Do you all find Nioh 2 to be harder or easier than Nioh 1? I just checked my Nioh 1 stats, and I'm seeing that I'm dying a lot more in Nioh 2.
I find Nioh 2 easier than Nioh 1, I think the most time a boss killed me is about 5 or 6 times. But I don't think it's a bad thing considering I find bosses to be a huge improvement over Nioh 1's. Yes Burst Counter make those fights easier but in the case of the human bosses I find it to be a good thing, they were absolute garbage in Nioh 1. They constantly spammed Guardian Spirits and were just plain unfun to fight, here in Nioh 2 you can still gain your yokai shift gauge without needing to use 2 or 3 spirits stones everytime you die in a fight to get your living weapon like in Nioh 1. Also the removal of the Wind element is a good thing, mid to late game Nioh 1 bosses loved to spam wind on you, which of course proc everytimes even when blocking, taxing you of about 70% of your physical attack power.

Naturally, the experience will vary for everyone. I personally find it easier but at least the fights are fun. No points in making harder and harder games, personally when that happen it feel like it's being hard for the sake of being hard over being fun and fair first and foremost, s'how I felt with Nioh 1. The yokai bosses were fine but the vast amount of humans fights weren't fun at all.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I think that Nioh 2 is definitely the harder game. To me, it feels like it almost expects you to have played the first one. Enemy placement especially seems balanced around that.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
So...not really a fan of what they did to the Discord/Chaos/Confusion/whatever-you-call-it status effect, this time around.

In the original game, being able to build up two different elemental effects (either by Onmyou spell spamming/buffs and/or good synergy between two weapons with elemental attributes) meant you could really ruin your opposition's day. Yokai, especially, were practically rendered helpless for like 10-20 seconds while you could style on them all you want.

But this time around, I'm predominantly rocking a water-based build (even joined the Murakami clan for that handy Water Life Drain), and I built myself a nice Switchglaive with Lightning attribute as a secondary weapon, to hopefully carry me throughout the rest of the base game. I can pretty easily trigger Discord status on most non-boss enemies. However, I ended up being pretty surprised when an One-eyed Oni was still able to punch me in the face, instead of being rendered helpless , like in the old days!

There something I'm missing about Discord, this time around? Otherwise, they undercut one of the main purposes about Magic-based builds.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Wtf is wrong with people in Expeditions? Don't they know it's a coop mode, with the word "coop" being bolded for obvious reasons . Seriously, fools run around at max speedrun thinking they are the bests players in the world and then getting killed again and again because they can't handle a hammerbro alone.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
I think Hino-enma in Nioh was a real skill check boss that basically tested to make sure you could handle the game's mechanics. I was kind of fumbling my way through the game and just playing it as Loot Souls until everything clicked after I fought her 20 times.

I feel like Nioh 2 doesn't quite have the same early skill check. They throw a tough Yokai at you early to teach you Burst Counters, but I've fought the first 3 bosses and none of them really made me feel like I had to master the mechanics to move forward, which may be why the Nioh 2 bosses don't feel as difficult.

That's very true. Yatsu-no-Kami could be this game's Hino-Enma but since they nerfed it from the beta it's way more approachable now.

I think Benevolent Graves also help, in that they take the aggro off of you for a while and you can recover.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Anyone got to
Gyuki
yet? I'm hitting a wall here. I've soloed every boss up to now with no issues but this is just...

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
third boss is destroying my fun i had with thhis game
fight is way to long 1 mistake and im done
think im done LOL rage quit nioh and this is rage quit nioh 2

I feels ya. I was same at Snakely until best friend Xypher here bailed me out. Set up a password at a shrine and ask for help here. no shame. None.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
For Yatsu no Kami (snake), it's one of the few cases where I didn't use the burst counter because it's was more beneficial to dodge and hit the sides.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
third boss is destroying my fun i had with thhis game

My strategy for the snake boss was to keep my distance and bait out the arms-in-the-ground attack. I'd alternate between rushing the snake as soon as it started and getting in a few good hits and keeping in motion until both snake heads pop up, then turning around and whacking one for 2 hits. Then in the dark realm I'd just run away the whole time and if I needed to kill the snake that was low on health already to give myself more space I'd do that. Rinse, repeat. I think I only did one Burst Counter the entire time and the entire battle took me three Dark Realm cycles total.

I'm just past the 3rd boss. Went with dual swords and the kusarigama. I did decent damage with the k*, but like I mentioned it misses hits a lot it seems. I did dex and skill evenly because both weapons and ninja scale with those. I picked a lot of ninja up stats on weapons, but it barely does anything

The kusarigama is really dependent on stance to hit properly. Try to stick to low stance to make sure you hit smaller enemies, mid-stance for crowd control and high stance for big damage. Unlocking the right combos for it are important, I liberally use the skill that pulls enemies to you and knocks them slightly off balance before going in for a combo.

How hard is it to kill the basic yokai (the Gaki)? I'm just after the third boss too, and I'm able to knock out all their ki with one combo and then finish them with a grapple/final blow. If you're able to do that you should be doing fine damage on everything else. If you can't do that, you might need to respec or take a look ar your modifiers. I'm also exclusively using Yokai Weapons so maybe try one of those? A Rotten Rope Cutter with good stats does wonders, at least for me.

EDIT: Also dont underestimate the power of Familiarity. Using the same weapon for longer is often times better for your stats than switching to a slightly better damage one as soon as you get it.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
To the people that wanna quit on the snake boss don't feel bad I died 250 times in the first region now I'm in act 2 bullying yokai and bosses.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Does the burst counter even do anything on Yatsu-no-kami? I've tried it a bunch of time and I just take damage as soon as I finish the dodge.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Does the burst counter even do anything on Yatsu-no-kami? I've tried it a bunch of time and I just take damage as soon as I finish the dodge.

If you time it perfect you'll stop him dead and land heavy Ki damage, but he won't stay still long enough to land any follow up hits. As someone else said, if you side step and cut up his flanks, it's just good.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Anyone got to
Gyuki
yet? I'm hitting a wall here. I've soloed every boss up to now with no issues but this is just...

I just did that one last night. The first few attempts I tried to go for the back leg crystals, but it's not really necessary. What kind of build are you using? I use Tfnfas/Ninjutsu/Magic and basically Bumrushed Ki Breaks with the multihit twirls. I think it's also weak to fire, so you can burn and run.

Storm Kunai are also really effective against it for building up Anima, which can help with Using abilities which increase stagger, as it pretty reliably changes to Dark Realm as soon as you do that. If you have a good Boosted Ability as well, like Ippon or the Snake , you can chunk it pretty hard too.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Best thing I can say is treat it like one of those big-ass Souls bosses and forward roll into his attacks, try get to his side and swipe away, I didn't really bother with the legs.

Yeah, that's about the best approach I've found and the one I've been taking but when you're that close you can't read his movements (those back legs track like a bastard too). It seems like burst counters destroy him, but I've managed to land two in about thirty tries, so you can't really bank on them.

I just did that one last night. The first few attempts I tried to go for the back leg crystals, but it's not really necessary. What kind of build are you using? I use Tfnfas/Ninjutsu/Magic and basically Bumrushed Ki Breaks with the multihit twirls. I think it's also weak to fire, so you can burn and run.

Storm Kunai are also really effective against it for building up Anima, which can help with Using abilities which increase stagger, as it pretty reliably changes to Dark Realm as soon as you do that. If you have a good Boosted Ability as well, like Ippon or the Snake , you can chunk it pretty hard too.

Thanks for this - I'll bookmark for tomorrow. I've got a level 73 Ippon, so that might sort him out. I found the Storm Yokai is pretty good for tiring him too, but just not enough.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
If you time it perfect you'll stop him dead and land heavy Ki damage, but he won't stay still long enough to land any follow up hits. As someone else said, if you side step and cut up his flanks, it's just good.
As in like just as his head is coming down after he roars?

Also if you hit his head when he's doing the snakes in ground thing he recoils just enough to miss the second combo hit on a short range weapon, it's infuriating because then he recoils away.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
As in like just as his head is coming down after he roars?

Also if you hit his head when he's doing the snakes in ground thing he recoils just enough to miss the second combo hit on a short range weapon, it's infuriating because then he recoils away.

Depends on the type of counter, but you want to connect directly with the head as it's racing towards you.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Yatsu-no-Kami's difficulty was more that the fight is long compared to previous bosses + the boss goes to dark realm-phase way too often when its HP is less than 30 - 40 %. Other than that boss' AI was pretty easily abusable to make it keep using the burrowing hand attack by keeping your distance as much as possible. Poison resist is useful too. I didn't find burst counters useful at all in that fight.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Does further leveling up a specific magic make it actually stronger or work better? Or is it just for the allowance to equip more?