• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
The game laughs at the very concept of classes so I'm not quite sure where you got that picture. The only thing set in stone are your starting stats that are a point higher than the rest. After that, it is the exact same free-balling that was in Nioh 1.
This is the thing I really hope new players understand. Unless you're one of those types who already has a specific build mapped out in your head? Don't worry so much about your choices at the start. Just go have fun and experiment with different weapons (while also staying alive)! And if you do ever feel the need to re-roll, the game eventually hooks you up with a means to reset your skill points distribution easily and cheaply, thanks to the "books of reincarnation".

The original and this game gives you so many options to play the game as you wish, which is one of the things I most appreciate about it.

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
Really excited to play this game! But I don't know which weapon to choose. I'm currently playing the first Nioh (I'm near the end) and I've played with katana. So I kinda want to change for Nioh 2 to avoid too much of the same and change things a bit. I'm interested in a kusarigama ninjutsu build (I was already in the first but worried that it would be too difficult) or a switchglaive magic build (I tried that in the demo and liked it, especially the scythe in high stance). But the thing is katana seems to be the easy way for me (I know it well since I've only played that in the first game, the stat give you more ki, and in the first game there was a lot more katanas than the other weapon types...). So, I don't know what to do. Maybe different characters since we can create them now.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
What's the weapon that looks like a long cord with a blade that you swing around? I may need to try that.

Does anyone know if you need PS+ in order to summon live help at Shrines?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Uhh....

Potentially big spoiler at the end there.

William shows up!? And it's NOT the skin you can use. How? Is time travel in the story? I have sooooo many questions.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only played the vanilla version of the first game, were there any new weapons added in the DLC of the first game that's in Nioh 2?

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017

Uhh....

Potentially big spoiler at the end there.

William shows up!? And it's NOT the skin you can use. How? Is time travel in the story? I have sooooo many questions.

It is basically just a generation between the games. As our character is a half-yokai, they could easily live beyond even the timeline of the first game. I actually speculated on that possibility on another thread, since there is a major loose end from Nioh 1. Could be you team up with 'ol William to see a certain Spaniard finally dead.
I only played the vanilla version of the first game, were there any new weapons added in the DLC of the first game that's in Nioh 2?
Yes, both the Tonfa and the Odachi were part of Nioh 1 DLC.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Alright, real talk: which two weapons should I primarily roll around with this time? By the end of my time with Nioh 1 I had dabbled with everything, but I spent the vast majority of my playthrough with the dual swords and spear. I liked what I saw of the Switchglaive and Hatchets in the beta, but it was also a really good reminder that the Odachi and Tonfa are rad.

Really, I think I could go for any of them if given too much time to think, and that's not even getting into if I want to go with Onmyo or Ninjutsu
I love the tonfas personally. Did a full NG playthrough with them (sans the DLC) and kusarigama, after sinking hours with purely kat/dual kats.

But not sure if I'll go with them again right away. Maybe on a replay. Might try the spear for once, I never really mained it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It is basically just a generation between the games. As our character is a half-yokai, they could easily live beyond even the timeline of the first game. I actually speculated on that possibility on another thread, since there is a major loose end from Nioh 1. Could be you team up with 'ol William to see a certain Spaniard finally dead.

That would be cool.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
thanks

Are there any weapons which are simpler, more newcomer friendly?

Your basic katana is a really solid option. Dual hatchets are pretty fun too if you wanna throw axes at people from a safe distance.

Also, samurai locks are in:
uSGRezM.jpg

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Your basic katana is a really solid option. Dual hatchets are pretty fun too if you wanna throw axes at people from a safe distance.

Also, samurai locks are in:
uSGRezM.jpg

coolio. I like throwing hatchets at people.

So ideally a close range weapon paired with something that has range. Spear might be an option.

Last edited:

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Great OT. Will there be a way of getting samurai skill points outside of simply levelling up? Need my ki pulse on dodge and flux. Hope there are samurai hair locks in the full game but demo didn't have them 😢

one of the video reviews i watched mentioned that there were, my good brotherman

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Does anyone remember which stats govern your use of wearing the different armor types? I've asked on fextralife stream and got something like

1. Light Armor - skill
  2. Medium Armor - constitution, strength
  3. Heavy Armor - stamina, strength

Anyone remembers if there's more?

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone remember which stats govern your use of wearing the different armor types? I've asked on fextralife stream and got something like

1. Light Armor - skill

Anyone remembers if there's more?

Pretty sure light armor is skill and constitution. Don't think there's more.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
For people thinking about Weapon compatibility in terms of stats

8lRx7W1.png

Stat-wise, Odachi and Katana are quite compatible. You can pump points into Strength and get a good boost to both weapons.

Very useful chart, thanks!
Oh yes. You can make any weapon look like any other weapon of that class you've found and the same for each armor piece.
Awesome to know I can also change the weapons!
You can refashion all weapons and armour to any that you've already discovered at the blacksmith - the cost is fairly negligible. You can also refashion your character between missions.
Thanks for that! I want to use the pre-order armor as transmog. Its super cool.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Pretty sure light armor is skill and constitution. Don't think there's more.

Thanks! That means constitution and strength are probably the stats that I should pick for the permanent boost in the beginning.

I know it's just 1 point but it would bug me in the future when I'm switching around builds lol

EDIT:

For me own reference
  1. Light Armor - constitution, skill

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
That'd be awesome, but so far, all they talked about is how the ending of this game sets up for the beginning of the original game. I'd love to see them address the dangling threads from the original, but based on the descriptions for the DLC, we may be jumping to even earlier in the Warring States period, rather than dealing with Ms. Thang and Spain.

But on the other hand, if this means we get chapters dealing with Takeda Shingen, Uesugi Kenshin and their battles in Kawanakajima, that's more than okay with me. Doubly so if they decide to run with one of the more popular myths and make Kenshin a lady!

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
I had two huge issues with Nioh 1, does Nioh 2 fix either of these:

1. Loot: Too much of it, most of which was garbage, too many stats making it unclear what was worth equipping in the first place.
2. Level repetition: Having to replay the same maps a slew of times for all the side content, which if you tried to skip would leave you under leveled and under equipped.

Feb 12, 2019
What armor weight and other weapon would pair well with the switchglaive?
The Switchglaive scales well with both skill and con, which means light and medium armor are probably the way to go. You're probably fine with any other weapon that also scales with either of those; the glaive seems like it's a flexible enough weapon to allow for any sort of pairing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I had two huge issues with Nioh 1, does Nioh 2 fix either of these:

1. Loot: Too much of it, most of which was garbage, too many stats making it unclear what was worth equipping in the first place.
2. Level repetition: Having to replay the same maps a slew of times for all the side content, which if you tried to skip would leave you under leveled and under equipped.

The loot situation is the same, so if that was an issue for you in the first game it'll probably be an issue here as well. There are several filters to help you keep tabs on everything you pick up.

The second point is unclear since the game hasn't come out yet but I don't foresee it being different.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ugh, I don't even think it looks that good but Nioh was such a treasure. Can't wait to get it for a few bucks on PC down the line!

Furyous

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Nioh 1 is backlogged because the monsters are scary and Im trying to get overpowered enough to one shot the scary ones..

Nioh 2 looks promising and I could buy it right now but I have questions:

What's a good area to grind stats early on?

Are there any sharks in this game? Did those slithery things with scythes that tackle you make a return in this game?

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the two new weapons make a good combo? Magic + Skill will give you a great Switchglaive and a pretty good Hatchets

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
it's gonna be hard to decide which three stats I would want a permanent buff to at the start of the game since I'm planning on jumping between builds
Seems like you couldn't go wrong with buffing health, Ki, and recovery. That's always useful.
did they add muscle sliders for female player characters?
You can change muscle definition, and unique to this CC, you can change it per body area. So have really ripped legs, but softer torso or whatever. It was a neat touch.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Even though variable mode is kind of janky due to the uncapped framerate and variable frametimes, I wonder if it could become the best way to play the game on PS5. Since both framerate and resolution can scale, presumably the game could run at 1800p60fps on that platform via backwards compatibility.

This game makes me wish I had a PS4 Pro. Action mode on base PS4 is rough on the eyes.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I think I will start with Katana/Odachi but ultimately I might just run Katana/Katana and have two different kinds.