• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I finally beat Toshimitsu and holy shit what a fight. This was the first boss where i found there wasn't much room for error and i really had to watch my Ki. Which meant i really had to give some thought in how i engaged him. Best boss fight so far that even rivals some of my fav Nioh 1 bosses.

i just fought him too. I generally agree except his last phase is hyper defense and just spam magic projectile, and he has a one hit skill move. Nooo thank you

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
i just fought him too. I generally agree except his last phase is hyper defense and just spam magic projectile, and he has a one hit skill move. Nooo thank you
Yeah it can get annoying but if you keep your cool then his spam is not that bad because you can evade his projectiles without too much trouble, and you can also interrupt him very easily when he is casting projectiles. His sweeping strike has killed me so often until i stopped just putting pressure on him without much thought and only attacked him after he did certain attack moves that opened him up. For example when he does his two diagonal strikes he will be wide open for quite a long time. Same after he finishes his 5 part combo where he ends on a vertical strike that can knock you down. His fire strike moves offer a nice opportunity as well and are also interupptible. In his last phase when he gets super armor that's when i'm getting more careful and watch out for his special attacks. I don't even try to use my burst counter to counter hit him and instead just use it to evade his most devastating attack. I know i make it sound more easy then it is and believe me i died a shit ton on this boss, but in the end you will know all his moves so well and can see a strategy that will win the fight and just need to work on your execution. You will master him and feel good afterwards. Keep trying, you can do it.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't tried DLC 2 yet but I started a brand new character with the claw and man, they're so godamn fun to use. Will definitely take some time to master but the freedom they give you is something else. Been wanting that weapon type since Nioh 1 and i'm glad TN delivered hard with these.

Also seeing some of the new shit you can in Dream of the Wise it's insane. The new graces are crazy and some of the new scrolls are ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it can get annoying but if you keep your cool then his spam is not that bad because you can evade his projectiles without too much trouble, and you can also interrupt him very easily when he is casting projectiles. His sweeping strike has killed me so often until i stopped just putting pressure on him without much thought and only attacked him after he did certain attack moves that opened him up. For example when he does his two diagonal strikes he will be wide open for quite a long time. Same after he finishes his 5 part combo where he ends on a vertical strike that can knock you down. His fire strike moves offer a nice opportunity as well and are also interupptible. In his last phase when he gets super armor that's when i'm getting more careful and watch out for his special attacks. I don't even try to use my burst counter to counter hit him and instead just use it to evade his most devastating attack. I know i make it sound more easy then it is and believe me i died a shit ton on this boss, but in the end you will know all his moves so well and can see a strategy that will win the fight and just need to work on your execution. You will master him and feel good afterwards. Keep trying, you can do it.

Thanks. Did beat him last night. Didn't even realize he was spamming, tbh, until I was trying to rebuff myself and I noticed he was doing the same moves over and over again.

in addition to what you mentioned, I really like his fight as a great complement to his yokai fight later. Wish we can dual wield with fire and water like that

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Ok HOW THE FUCK am I supposed to avoid Otakemaru lightning attack? The one where he raises the sword just before throwing it at me?

Running doesn't work. Dodging doesn't work. Blocking is out of question. Like what the hell?

I've got all of his other moves memorized and the fight is more than doable with just 3 elixirs but I honestly don't know what I'm supposed to do against this bullshit attack.

Edit: this one at 4:25.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Ok HOW THE FUCK am I supposed to avoid Otakemaru lightning attack? The one where he raises the sword just before throwing it at me?

Running doesn't work. Dodging doesn't work. Blocking is out of question. Like what the hell?

I've got all of his other moves memorized and the fight is more than doable with just 3 elixirs but I honestly don't know what I'm supposed to do against this bullshit attack.

I wish I could help, but that move has been the bane of existence too. So many deaths against him in a NG+ scroll, maybe because I was underleveled, but also because he kept inflicting discount sloth on me with that attack.

Best I can come up with is to either temper for lightning resist and/or use Lightningstop Talismans. Don't know if the latter is a hard counter against electrification, or if that further depends on your base lightning resist. But at least it should negate some of the damage.

Oct 25, 2017

a couple of ways to deal with it :

use feral yokai form. It's gives you very generous dodge frame

temper your gear to reduce elemental attack or reduced its duration

as mentioned use a talisman to increase your defense against electricity

and the another always answer is sloth. You gonna sloth the enemy. It's easier but it makes everything more manageable. In the video he wasn't slothed when he did that

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Boss of the third DLC stage is some miserable bullshit. I really hate this fight, and of course nobody bought the DLC so there's no one around to help in co-op. I think I'm just quitting the game here.

Endless elemental damage spam, bad status effects, and permanent yokai realm. It's unbalanced beyond belief.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I wish I could help, but that move has been the bane of existence too. So many deaths against him in a NG+ scroll, maybe because I was underleveled, but also because he kept inflicting discount sloth on me with that attack.

Best I can come up with is to either temper for lightning resist and/or use Lightningstop Talismans. Don't know if the latter is a hard counter against electrification, or if that further depends on your base lightning resist. But at least it should negate some of the damage.
a couple of ways to deal with it :

use feral yokai form. It's gives you very generous dodge frame

temper your gear to reduce elemental attack or reduced its duration

as mentioned use a talisman to increase your defense against electricity

and the another always answer is sloth. You gonna sloth the enemy. It's easier but it makes everything more manageable. In the video he wasn't slothed when he did that

Thanks for the answers.

I ended up summoning one of the blue graves and just brute forced the fight after losing my patience.

I tried the feral dodge twice but still got caught, not sure if it's possible to dodge with better timing. I forgot to test the Enki ability which makes you jump, it probably works though it's not ideal since I'll end up without anima if he does it frequently.

Fighting at close range seems to be the only real solution :\

I'll work on lightning defense when I fight him again 👍

Oct 25, 2017
Boss of the third DLC stage is some miserable bullshit. I really hate this fight, and of course nobody bought the DLC so there's no one around to help in co-op. I think I'm just quitting the game here.

Endless elemental damage spam, bad status effects, and permanent yokai realm. It's unbalanced beyond belief.

permanent yokai realm means you really need to spam your yokai abilities - your ki regeneration is slowed but your anima build is increased significantly

and You can counter bad status effects by increasing your elemental resistance or use impurity transference talisman so the boss gets all of your negative status :)

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the answers.

I ended up summoning one of the blue graves and just brute forced the fight after losing my patience.

I tried the feral dodge twice but still got caught, not sure if it's possible to dodge with better timing. I forgot to test the Enki ability which makes you jump, it probably works though it's not ideal since I'll end up without anima if he does it frequently.

Fighting at close range seems to be the only real solution :\

I'll work on lightning defense when I fight him again 👍

You did it! That's all that matters. I wasn't a believer is Feral form until recently. It really is a free get out of jail card.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
permanent yokai realm means you really need to spam your yokai abilities - your ki regeneration is slowed but your anima build is increased significantly

and You can counter bad status effects by increasing your elemental resistance or use impurity transference talisman so the boss gets all of your negative status :)

I managed to stamina break her with two hits of the One-Eyed Yokai's yokai ability and it dispelled the yokai realm. That did it. Once my stamina regen wasn't hobbled I was able to basically punch her down.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Someone please tell me how to counter
Hayabusa's
purple projectile attack. You can't block it, you can't interrupt him while he's charging it, it tracks you if you sprint or dodge, it's basically a guaranteed knockdown that he can follow up with whatever he wants.

What the fuck are you supposed to do about this busted-ass shit?

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait

I just started the DLC, I can help tomorrow if you still have trouble.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So is there any way in the post-game to make it so enemies don't take you from full health and full stamina to broken stamina gauge and dead in one attack? Why the hell does it feel like I'm CONSTANTLY being guard broken to death even if I'm at full EVERYTHING?

Oct 25, 2017
So is there any way in the post-game to make it so enemies don't take you from full health and full stamina to broken stamina gauge and dead in one attack? Why the hell does it feel like I'm CONSTANTLY being guard broken to death even if I'm at full EVERYTHING?

You might be under leveled in general, and under leveled in stats like constitution, heart, courage, etc . I can tell you it's not supposed to be that way, at least in the beginning difficulties - or, if it is (depending on your build), you are supposed to be stronger in magic or ninjitsu projectiles to make it up

you might also be under leveled with your gears. To level up you need to soul match. You can also do remodeling with your weapons and armors so that their value increase by scaling with(hopefully) one of your stronger stats.

tldr: you might be under leveled and under powered

Btw, this might not make sense, but dlc is generally harder than the main game. Sometimes it's good to make progress in the next difficult level, gear up, THEN go back to the dlc in the previous difficulty level. That might also be why you feel like you are running into a wall.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You might be under leveled in general, and under leveled in stats like constitution, heart, courage, etc . I can tell you it's not supposed to be that way, at least in the beginning difficulties - or, if it is (depending on your build), you are supposed to be stronger in magic or ninjitsu projectiles to make it up

you might also be under leveled with your gears. To level up you need to soul match. You can also do remodeling with your weapons and armors so that their value increase by scaling with(hopefully) one of your stronger stats.

tldr: you might be under leveled and under powered

Btw, this might not make sense, but dlc is generally harder than the main game. Sometimes it's good to make progress in the next difficult level, gear up, THEN go back to the dlc in the previous difficulty level. That might also be why you feel like you are running into a wall.

I'm level 191 and all of my armor is level 160 with at least +2. Shuten Doji is murdering me in two hits.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm level 191 and all of my armor is level 160 with at least +2.

depends on how you distribute your stats

I don't remember exactly where you are at, but 160+2 is unfortunately nil. Be 10+ for all of your weapon and gears. You can actually find 170 weapons or gears in that level. But with the dlcs you can easily get higher level weapons/gears. Before then we had to pray to the RNG gods lol

edit: or use magic spell to buff your defense.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
depends on how you distribute your stats

I don't remember exactly where you are at, but 160+2 is unfortunately nil. Be 10+ for all of your weapon and gears. You can actually find 170 weapons or gears in that level. But with the dlcs you can easily get higher level weapons/gears. Before then we had to pray to the RNG gods lol

edit: or use magic spell to buff your defense.

Nothing above 160 has ever dropped for me, ever.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
you must pray to the RNG god like all of us lol. It will get better. The game actually opens up more the deeper and higher difficulty you go

I can't even do Dream of the Strong without enemies two or three-shotting me, honestly. I'm just not having fun. I can't even beat the first samurai dojo mission - the guy kills me in one or two hits.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Just completed the DLC, great stuff better than the first one IMO. Demon Slayer set looks great and the set bonuses matches my playstyle too.

Poor Ren Hayabusa, I just Shriked him to death. Never had a chance haha.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even do Dream of the Strong without enemies two or three-shotting me, honestly. I'm just not having fun. I can't even beat the first samurai dojo mission - the guy kills me in one or two hits.

this game is loot based. You gotta grind for weapons and gears and think about what kind of build you want for your character.

the dojo mission is pretty hard. In my opinion your goal for now should just be leveling up your character and figure out ways to buff your character as much as possible. Again, if you are dying in two hits then you are too under leveled or armored. Grind the enemies or revenants to level up. This will take more time but it's what's needed to learn the game.

let's put it this way. If you are progressing, you are doing something right. Build on it. The higher difficulties are supposed to be challenging. Every new difficulty reinvents the game

but I'm sorry you are not having fun. I actually enjoyed grinding and seeing my character power up.

Oct 25, 2017
Just completed the DLC, great stuff better than the first one IMO. Demon Slayer set looks great and the set bonuses matches my playstyle too.

Poor Ren Hayabusa, I just Shriked him to death. Never had a chance haha.

This dlc is really good. I'm glad Team Ninja relaxed a bit on the RNG (I have 3 yata mirror now when I had none before) and opened up the skills (ultimate and mystic dyad? Hello)

I really liked what they did with Ren, just such a cool homage. They need to put some DOA girls in this game too.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Decent DLC, liking the new bosses and enemies but as always, a bit miffed when they decide to simply lift and reuse Nioh 1 stuff almost without changes.

Now I'm getting my shit pushed in on the side mission where you have to face three phases where two of them is the final DLC boss in succession. Always fail at the very end of the last phase... :(

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Decent DLC, liking the new bosses and enemies but as always, a bit miffed when they decide to simply lift and reuse Nioh 1 stuff almost without changes.

Now I'm getting my shit pushed in on the side mission where you have to face three phases where two of them is the final DLC boss in succession. Always fail at the very end of the last phase... :(

Keep your NPC alive to distract her, otherwise just dance around her aoes and you should be golden. Hope I'm getting the mission correct lol.

Dlent

Nov 2, 2017
Damn, seems like it's going to be really hard to get full ethereal graces you actually want. No more forging or sudama rerolling.

Cutty

Oct 31, 2017
Do I need the first DLC to understand the second? What level do I need to be as well? I want to get back into this but I only got 10 hours in.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Keep your NPC alive to distract her, otherwise just dance around her aoes and you should be golden. Hope I'm getting the mission correct lol.

As always, two attempts after writing my post I managed to beat that sub-mission :D

Now I'm stuck on the Shuten Doji rematch sub-mission... holy shit he hits like a ton of bricks this time around, can't even get halfway through his health bar.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
160+2 for Dream of the Strong is kind of weak gear even for the main game, I think? In the main game on DotS I was running around with 160+5 or so. 170 gear is very rare at that level. I did get some weapon to drop one time, and I soulmatched that to my favourite spear, making it quite strong even at 170+5.

For this DLC, well... Last time, I had dipped my toes a bit in Dream of the Demon and it's raining ~170+8 gear in there lol. I went back to DotS for the 2nd DLC, but didn't use those weapons (yet) because I feel too OP. I did keep all the good armour though, because I like being able to take hits (even so, the first boss hits really hard, as we discussed previously). All my armour is 170, between +8 and +12. I still die semi-regularly and enemies still hit fairly hard, so I don't feel like I ruined things for me. It just adds more survivability. Though, a lot of them have Active Skill Damage boosts too which is lol when they're all stacked >.>

One thing that really helps in making your gear stronger: tempering and remodelling. For your main weapons, make sure to remodel to your dominant stat, you get significant boosts if you pumped a specific stat a lot (mine are Constitution and Heart since I mained the sword and spear in the regular game). Remember that tempering can re-roll some options. So, if you temper a disposable property on your weapon to get something that's decent but whatever (and cheap), like, "high attack ki damage +6%", you can grab that, and then see what new properties show up. You might be surprised. Sometimes even in the low-quality tempering I find the Constitution scaling boost A- after barely a couple of tries, which is awesome for my weapons.

Temper armour too. Defense boosts, projectile damage reductions, backstab damage reductions, etc. when stacked on your entire set, can help with survivability.

But, IMO for DotS, you need at least 160+5 stuff. Instead of selling off or dismantling all your divine drops, soul-match them. For example, you got a headpiece +2, and got more headpieces +2? Soul match one of those to make your headpiece +3. Then soulmatch the remaining +2 ones to make an extra +3, soul match it to your +3, gain a +4. You should be swimming in cash so that you can just spam soulmatching like that by now.

...Or just peek in the early missions of Dream of the Demon and loot some 170 stuff. lol

They need to put some DOA girls in this game too.
Shit no. Team Ninja has actually been really good on portraying women in this game, don't ruin a good thing.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I don't even have Dream of the Demon unlocked. :(
Ah, I see. Yeah you need to progress a bit further in Dream of the Strong to unlock it (check the mission progress meter on the world map). If it's too far away, well, soul matching is a must.

...Or, if you are just at +2, play on Dream of the Samurai? Is it just too easy?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see. Yeah you need to progress a bit further in Dream of the Strong to unlock it (check the mission progress meter on the world map). If it's too far away, well, soul matching is a must.

...Or, if you are just at +2, play on Dream of the Samurai? Is it just too easy?

I don't get meaningful divine drops on Samurai, so I literally can't upgrade my gear any further than it is now. That's why I wanted to switch to Strong, because I figured I'd start seeing gear that I could use to get over the hump. But Strong is just that much more of a difficulty gap itself.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
+2 is indeed too weak, are you sure you can't go higher already? you have to stack random + weapons to get higher +s, and then put that onto your weapon.

Also, for 170 weapon, check if you have a 170 Soul Core, they're a little more common than gear, then fuse it with a corruption weapon and that corruption weapon fuse it with your weapon to get it to 170.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
+2 is indeed too weak, are you sure you can't go higher already? you have to stack random + weapons to get higher +s, and then put that onto your weapon.

I can't get drops of + weapons nearly reliably enough to make something like a +5. I'd need like 40 +1s to do that, unless there's a way to make the game start dropping stuff consistently at higher + levels.

Oct 25, 2017
Shit no. Team Ninja has actually been really good on portraying women in this game, don't ruin a good thing.

well, imagine if they were portrayed well. Was really only thinking of Kasumi, Ayane, or Momiji, only because of their ninja lineage or connection to ninja Gaiden games.

I can't get drops of + weapons nearly reliably enough to make something like a +5. I'd need like 40 +1s to do that, unless there's a way to make the game start dropping stuff consistently at higher + levels.

Then make them. The game drops enough, especially if you grind a little. Also, sometimes I think the game will also respond once you start upgrading: you will start getting more +2s or more if you have them

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Just finished the main game doing almost all side-missions (took me close to 70 hours) and phew, what a fucking ride, GOTY contender for sure. It's Nioh 1 on steroids and I loved every bit of it.

Seeing that I'm still hungry for more and that the Season Pass is on sale, I'll probably tackle the DLCs next. I'm currently level 120ish, gear level around 130-140 but I haven't payed much attention to farming specific builds, I've just been using the gear with the highest attack/defense values the game throws at me and maybe quickly putting some sets together. With this in mind, a few questions:

- Can I go straight into the DLC, or is there a recommended level not to have an excessively hard time there?
- What are the soft and hard caps of the game for gear?
- Any good switchglaive builds I should aim for?
- What's the quickest way to farm weapon proficiency? Would love to try other weapon types besides my two mains (switchglaive and spear) but it's gonna take forever to unlock those skill trees lol

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
how I feel breaking a soldiers guard with the Fists weapon for first time

tumblr_mklqxpbEwT1r49r0wo1_400.gif

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the main game doing almost all side-missions (took me close to 70 hours) and phew, what a fucking ride, GOTY contender for sure. It's Nioh 1 on steroids and I loved every bit of it.

Seeing that I'm still hungry for more and that the Season Pass is on sale, I'll probably tackle the DLCs next. I'm currently level 120ish, gear level around 130-140 but I haven't payed much attention to farming specific builds, I've just been using the gear with the highest attack/defense values the game throws at me and maybe quickly putting some sets together. With this in mind, a few questions:

- Can I go straight into the DLC, or is there a recommended level not to have an excessively hard time there?
- What are the soft and hard caps of the game for gear?
- Any good switchglaive builds I should aim for?
- What's the quickest way to farm weapon proficiency? Would love to try other weapon types besides my two mains (switchglaive and spear) but it's gonna take forever to unlock those skill trees lol

DLC 2 is insanely hard so you might wanna play dream of the strong for a bit and get some better gear first. Also I think playing on higher difficulties increases how much weapon proficiency you earn so play Dream of the Strong to get some skill ups.

I think DLC 2 is harder than the first region in DOS.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I completed (almost) the entirety of DLC2 on Dream of the Samurai with lvl 160 +2/+3 gear. It was definitely still a challenge even though I was technically overleveled and overgeared.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I DID IT. Whew. I beat Ren. That was a hard fight.

Now that I've won legitimately, I'm just gonna cheese his ass to death until he drops his smithing texts.

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
I DID IT. Whew. I beat Ren. That was a hard fight.

Now that I've won legitimately, I'm just gonna cheese his ass to death until he drops his smithing texts.
He dropped 1 text and 1 move at the same time on my first kill, I was quite happy!
Hopefully you'll get them all fast!

I'm currently trying to finish all missions so far on all difficulties, then I'll farm all the smithing texts/moves added with both DLCs, as I didn't get them all yet and that's one of the things I'd like to complete in the game.

Oct 25, 2017
The RNG is much better with this update but still annoying. I'm almost at the last region on the Wise difficulty and I have no ethereal for cannons, and really lacking the grace I want overall. Just can't seem to get them, on both weapons and armors.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I need some help to understand how this inheritance/tempering thing works pls. Two questions:

Why is the Melee Ki Damage stat not transfering to the finished form?

I want the stat "Attack Bonus Constitution", but I'm wondering if that C is going to improve to a A when my familiarity is at max?

Or should I look for "Attack Bonus Consitution" with a A stat from the start?

Thanks!