• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks...
What's dotd? Any op spear build?

I did a spear game for the basic game and NG+ that was almost exclusively high stance with an emphasis on Piercing Rain / Twisting Spear. It felt pretty OP, though I still haven't done the DLC's NG++ for the most part.... you basically need late pretty game stuff to do the set though.

Basically it was just using the Magatama from the last boss to get +1 to equipment for set bonuses, Mataza's Set to get thrust damage + 2 pieces of TIger of Higo's to get the Piercing Rain +30%.

It got me through the game easily and was easy to cobble together (no real reliance on elemental dmg or buffs), even though there are surely more OP builds to be made.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the last boss I can get him to phase 3 but by then I run out of health potions and get stomped I'll never beat this game.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the last boss I can get him to phase 3 but by then I run out of health potions and get stomped I'll never beat this game.
I'll tell you what you can try, summon 3 scampuss with beckoning bell when phase 3 begin. I wish I was kidding but they annihilate his ki. You can also summon them as the fight begin but they may disapear by the time you reach phase 3. (though can always summon more)

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
50371766491_25095f794f_o.jpg

Nioh 2's Darkness in the Capital expansion arrives October 15

blog.playstation.com

Nioh 2’s Darkness in the Capital expansion arrives October 15

Venture back to the past and fight alongside some of the greatest heroes in Japanese history to defeat fearsome new Yokai.

Without further ado, let's get into the new details for the brand-new quest awaiting all of our warriors. Darkness in the Capital features new storylines, overwhelmingly powerful new bosses, tricky new Yokai, new Guardian Spirits, skills, Ninjutsu, Onmyo Magic and Soul Cores. And to top it all off, this new chapter will present electrifying new armor sets and a weapon that fans of hand-to-hand combat will surely relish.

(...) electrifying new armor sets and a weapon that fans of hand-to-hand combat will surely relish.

a weapon that fans of hand-to-hand combat will surely relish.

tenor.gif

Synopsis:

In order to unravel the mysteries surrounding the history of the Sohayamaru, our protagonist ventures to Kyoto City and discovers a shrine furnished with an old worn-out box. Upon inspection, the Sohayamaru once again shines brilliantly and the protagonist is whisked away to the middle of the Heian Period, landing in an ancient version of the capital.

Contrary to its name "Heian Palace," which means peace and tranquility, ancient Kyoto was terrorized by countless Yokai during this time period. However, there existed many heroes who were brave enough to oppose these demons. Among them were the most preeminent demon slayer and the strongest sorcerer in history, along with their subordinates and colleagues fighting at their side.

Our protagonist joins forces with these famous heroes in order to quell the unrest and destruction caused by the Yokai hordes, while learning more about the connections between an even more distant past and the present time period from which they came.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
The new weapon is a pair of claws!

Here's a gameplay video, it's timestamped to where it begin.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, thanks! Is there no like, reveal trailer though? That's so weird.
What Erigu said, it'll probably be released sometimes after TGS closer to the DLC's release date.

Yo those claws though, can notice a few things from the video such as stacks being applied to your character and whatnot.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Those claws look great. Can't wait for 2nd DLC. I assume Dream of the Wise will be introduced as well?

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took an extended break and figured I'd come back. Just beat Kasha. How much longer until the final boss of the base game?

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
The usual, new difficulty and a new rarity above divine.

This hasnt been confirmed yet. Right now all we know is new missions and the new weapon is the bare knuckles I believe. There was way of the wise and way of nioh in nioh 1 right. Really hoping for a new difficulty cause it would be the best time passer until PS5. Surprised they havent brought back that 100 floor dungeon thing from nioh 1. Would help with replay value plus releasing at the end if they do it would be kinda backwards.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
This hasnt been confirmed yet. Right now all we know is new missions and the new weapon is the bare knuckles I believe. There was way of the wise and way of nioh in nioh 1 right. Really hoping for a new difficulty cause it would be the best time passer until PS5. Surprised they havent brought back that 100 floor dungeon thing from nioh 1. Would help with replay value plus releasing at the end if they do it would be kinda backwards.
They're pretty much following what they did with Nioh 1, so you can 100% expect Way of the Wise (or Dream of the Wise I guess), most likely a new rarity gear (ethereal). It would be weird to suddenly change what they include with each DLC. 3rd DLC will most likely also have Dream of the Nioh. I'm about 99% sure.

You can slap me if I end up wrong.

Last edited:

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
It took me about 3 hours to beat the boss after final form Tochikiro I used a Scampuss and the Scampus nearly killed the boss by itself. I have 8 more Scampus bells for the final boss though I should be able to beat the game today. I'm so excited for the claws omg yes!

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I beat the game! The last boss was intense but I actually still had the most trouble with Gyuki that is the only boss in the game I felt was unfair.

yEwVWvR.jpg

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Finally started playing this and it feels good to be back, loved my time with Nioh 1. I'm clearing up the third region now, level 65. Some random questions:

- In terms of weapons, I've been sticking to the Spear and Switchglaive since the very beginning. Is it advisable to throw other weapons into the mix, or do people usually stick to 1 or 2 classes?
- What should I do with my unwanted loot? Sell or dissasemble?
- What are the Ninjustu skills/Omnyo magics I should aim for? There's an overwhelming amount of them

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm level 169 now on the next to last region in Dream of the Strong it's really fun co-oping now that they added the continue system. I love this game it's my GOTG 100% I haven't had this much fun in years it's hard as fuck and unforgiving but beating a boss feels so good. The loot is really fun it reminds me of Diablo 2 I've gotten some really cool stuff. I learned about Carnage scrolls and stacking those and the Tonfa mystic art Apocalypse is super fun.

I can't wait for the new DLC next week please god let them add Sarutobi Sasukes armor or at least a morph so I can look like him he's so cool!

Oct 25, 2017
How many times do I need to fight Yatsu No Kami for the shrine maidens smithing text? This is a stupid grind. I'm level 88 so it's an easy fight but what the fuck at the RNG.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
How many times do I need to fight Yatsu No Kami for the shrine maidens smithing text? This is a stupid grind. I'm level 88 so it's an easy fight but what the fuck at the RNG.

If it's your first playthrough I wouldn't worry too much about it but if you really want it increase your luck as much as you can, wear a kodoma bowl head gear, use a kodoma yokai soul and set your kodoma blessing to material drops.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing two days ago and man it feels good to be back. The yokai powers look good and are fun to use. I wanted to try some new weapons this time but i just chose spear and dual swords again lol. I just love spears and the dual swords just feel so good to use. I'm in the second region right now and seeing Nobunaga and Noh again made me quite nostalgic. The story is still not good but it's easier to follow than in the first game at least. I like that the weapon you use less always levels faster. That's why i'm switching between both much more often than in the first game. The game has really sucked me in and i think this will be my GotY.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing two days ago and man it feels good to be back. The yokai powers look good and are fun to use. I wanted to try some new weapons this time but i just chose spear and dual swords again lol. I just love spears and the dual swords just feel so good to use. I'm in the second region right now and seeing Nobunaga and Noh again made me quite nostalgic. The story is still not good but it's easier to follow than in the first game at least. I like that the weapon you use less always levels faster. That's why i'm switching between both much more often than in the first game. The game has really sucked me in and i think this will be my GotY.

Nioh 2 is my GotY as well at first I just liked it but after spending 130 hours playing I love it so much that I'm gonna buy the first game and all it's dlc soon.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
The nioh twitter posted a gif of a new yokai in the upcoming DLC. Spoilering it in case people wanna go in the DLC 100% fresh.

Looks like that yokai is called Hashihime, you can read up on them on the website yokai dot com.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Finally started playing this and it feels good to be back, loved my time with Nioh 1. I'm clearing up the third region now, level 65. Some random questions:

- In terms of weapons, I've been sticking to the Spear and Switchglaive since the very beginning. Is it advisable to throw other weapons into the mix, or do people usually stick to 1 or 2 classes?
- What should I do with my unwanted loot? Sell or dissasemble?
- What are the Ninjustu skills/Omnyo magics I should aim for? There's an overwhelming amount of them

- It's really up to you. Just need to invest the time to unlock the skills. I usually stick with three and swap around.
- You can disassemble unless you're hurting for coin.
- I usually make a beeline for the passives and choose an element to focus on.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Shuten Douji. There are so many bosses in this game that I do not fucking like.

he hits hard and has increased defense. Approach cautiously. Use sloth to slow him down. His move sets are pretty limited. If you keep a distance he generally resorts to doing the spit fire attack, get behind him and wrench him, although watch for the one with theballs because the duration is shorter.

Oct 25, 2017
he hits hard and has increased defense. Approach cautiously. Use sloth to slow him down. His move sets are pretty limited. If you keep a distance he generally resorts to doing the spit fire attack, get behind him and wrench him, although watch for the one with theballs because the duration is shorter.
I hate how much space control he does with those fire pools and his long ass weapon. Not to mention I do like no damage to him it feels like.

Oct 25, 2017
I hate how much space control he does with those fire pools and his long ass weapon. Not to mention I do like no damage to him it feels like.

in my experience the fire pools are a distraction. Don't worry about it. If you really are concerned about it, put damage over time or reduced elemental damage on your armor

the long ass weapon is what's annoying. Unless you feel like you have a good grasp of it, sometimes it's easier to dodge forward than back since the weapon is so long. This is true especially when he jumps.

but really, the fight is just about keeping your distance, bait him to do use the spit fire attack.

It's kind of like this -

if he starts swinging, just avoid. He hits too hard and reaches too wide

Sometimes you can tell he is starting to lose balance, and again, do not attack until you are sure he falls down (he does one more swing before he does so)

sometimes he does a drinking animation to power up or go into dark mode. Those are free time to attack

He does have a lot of hp and increase defense. However, may need to adjust your build or level up if you are not doing any damage at all

use elemental damage. Water, electricity, and purity are good. Imbue your weapon.

As I mentioned, use sloth, he practically walks in slow motion. Use weakness magic if need to. Use barrier spell to automatically regenerate your ki. Use the ninjitsu scroll that resurrects you.

may want to use a ki-focused plan or build. Basically, use Kurama Tengen as your spirit guardian since it does extra damage when enemies have purified status (affects ki rengneration). Imbue weapon with purity. Use the item to build anima faster from Magic. Use Gozuki (unless I mistake it with Mezuki) for soul cores where the attack is a charge move that does probably the most ki damage. Use it twice (because you renegerate anima faster if you use that item I mentioned) the boss is out ki and may even be staggered. When they are staggered, do what you need - put them in confused state, keep attacking them and go for a grapple before time is

Stack your attack damage with attack bonus vs zero-ki on both of your accessories (may have to grind for this) and another souk core(Namahage, its attack also does decent ki damage)

one of the easiest ways to do this is to have a weapon with normal attacks or active skills that allow you to multi-hit enemies, like Tonfa or Splitstaff (dragon dance)

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Today's stream from the second dlc.

Gameplay starts at 53:31and another segment at 1:07:33. Spoilers, obviously.

The boss they show off in the second segment is literally the first boss of Ninja Gaiden 2. I love it. The gaint spear Toad from the first Nioh also makes an appearance again in the first segment.

The new weapon still looks awesome. Hopefully it pairs up nicely with my current build.