• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
What are these scroll missions and how do you access them?

I finished the DLC missions on the base difficulty level and am trudging through the main missions on NG+, for what it's worth.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
What are these scroll missions and how do you access them?

I finished the DLC missions on the base difficulty level and am trudging through the main missions on NG+, for what it's worth.
It's something they added with patch 1.11. You can get picture scrolls that lets you do a mission where it's usually just a wave of enemy or 1 or 2 bosses back to back. Once completed you can equip the scroll to gain it's effect. The scroll equipment slot will appear under both accessories slots as soon as you get one. Most scrolls can be replayed 5 times, that's if you wanna maybe get better bonus (mine has extended invulnerability frames with dodge for example). You'll probably start seeing some in NG+ but they're far more frequent in NG++.

Like I mentionned above, revenant grave can also carry scrolls. But you don't need to check each grave to confirm, those who does will have a white beam of light sticking out of their grave. That said, it's a CHANCE a revenant grave will have one that can drop. I died in the DLC at one point and my lover saw my grave and, although I had a scroll equipped, my grave didn't show I had one so.

EDIT: Also, to start the mission when you get one you have to be on the map screen, you'll see a new icon appeared above the twilight missions icon, it will be a scroll with a ! mark.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Oh! That's what the giant white beam from revenant graves is. And it explains why it had some guy's username at the bottom of the scroll. It was good fodder to reroll a scroll? I think you can fuse scrolls to make a scroll revert back to the not purified state.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh! That's what the giant white beam from revenant graves is. And it explains why it had some guy's username at the bottom of the scroll. It was good fodder to reroll a scroll? I think you can fuse scrolls to make a scroll revert back to the not purified state.
Yeah but I'm not 100% sure the use of this, when you re-purify it it's the exact same stats as before, it doesn't reset the use (you need hundred night incense for that) my guess is you do this if you wanna "soul match" a scroll level requirement with your own scroll to boost that level requirement and potentially get better reward. The scroll I is like level 233 but I vould match it with a scroll with a level req of like 260+.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
So should I just give up on boss Smithing Text's dropping until NG+? I have been at this for a while and have seen zero drop from any boss. I have the +25% hunter blessing and my luck boosted as much as I can and I am getting jack shit...

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
So should I just give up on boss Smithing Text's dropping until NG+? I have been at this for a while and have seen zero drop from any boss. I have the +25% hunter blessing and my luck boosted as much as I can and I am getting jack shit...
Yeah, personally I'd just play the game for NG, if you get a drop then all the better. Save the farming for NG+ and beyond.

Hakimy

Nov 9, 2017
Is there anyway to have a permanent look? There is no point of doing the refashion option if i play the next stage and i find a new gear that will appear mid game instead of the refashion one i chose so is there a solution for this? Or refashion is only logical at end game and you can't have a permanent look from the beginning or middle since you change gear all the time?

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anyway to have a permanent look? There is no point of doing the refashion option if i play the next stage and i find a new gear that will appear mid game instead of the refashion one i chose so is there a solution for this? Or refashion is only logical at end game and you can't have a permanent look from the beginning or middle since you change gear all the time?
early on, yeah you'll always change look but in NG+ you'll probably find an armor set that has good stats you like and will stick to it. At that point refashion will be worth it.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Got my first scroll mission drop, and they are no jokes for my crappy-ass spear build (lvl 182). Had some easy enemies to begin with and then had to face off with that drunken boss. Talk about an extreme health buff, took ages to take him down and he hit like a train.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the DLC story last night. Splitstaff is a lot of fun, some of the new enemies were interesting to fight. I also got a Picture Scroll that heals me every single time I kill an enemy, which is like my Sohaya Garb set bonus on fucking steroids.

My biggest complaint, though...

Kiyomori Taira deserved to be more than a mediocre remix of a Nioh 1 boss fight.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yay.

8S6jXSh.jpg

I've been doing NG+ missions alongside the DLC and I think the DLC is actually harder on NG than the regular game is on NG+. I'm still only in the second region in NG+, though, so maybe that's also a factor.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I beat the final boss in NG+, and the item you get for it is nutty. I did just skip over a lot of NG+ and just fought the final boss because I could. Tengu's disciple on NG+ isn't that much more difficult.

Finished the DLC story last night. Splitstaff is a lot of fun, some of the new enemies were interesting to fight. I also got a Picture Scroll that heals me every single time I kill an enemy, which is like my Sohaya Garb set bonus on fucking steroids.

My biggest complaint, though...

Kiyomori Taira deserved to be more than a mediocre remix of a Nioh 1 boss fight.

I didn't hate that boss as much as everyone else (I just wish it was harder). But yeah I did wonder why Kiyomori Taira didn't show up, and I didn't realise until just that WAS him. They could've given us something much cooler, but I guess thematically it makes sense he became a water yokai for the whole Yoshitsune and his boats thing. Wish the boss was more of the 2nd phase and maybe just remove the 1st phase.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up Saturday and already put 18 or so hours into it lmao. Enjoying it MUCH more than Nioh 1 for whatever reason. Having a character creator helps a lot. Just beat Imagawa Yoshimoto. Enenra made me think this game was gonna be impossible but Yatsu-No-Kami only took me 7-ish tries and nearly one-shotted Imagawa. Burst Counter and Yokai Cores are so much fun. Kusarigamas are godly. So far the game has that "something" that Nioh 1 was missing for me.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Did my first scroll mission. Bonuses are whatever, but it was a fun fight against Enenra.

Anyone know if you can roll better qualities on subsequent attempts? For example, mine is currently purple, but can it become divine?

Having fun using Dual Swords again. Wouldn't be a bad idea to farm mats and craft a general armor set, as the two I currently have are tailored specifically towards Swords and Kusarigamas.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
Magara Noataka second encounter was too hard, I didn't have much problem with 1st encounter but maybe I got lucky lol.

He is tanky AF and forced me to learn a new way to fight bosses which is to be aggressive, dodge the right way using I-frames and in circles defend and Ki pulse correctly.. also when to run and when to attack. This boss felt like a test of all the skills I've learned soo far.

Honestly I don't think anyone had problem with him not sure why I was stuck.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Did my first scroll mission. Bonuses are whatever, but it was a fun fight against Enenra.

Anyone know if you can roll better qualities on subsequent attempts? For example, mine is currently purple, but can it become divine?

Having fun using Dual Swords again. Wouldn't be a bad idea to farm mats and craft a general armor set, as the two I currently have are tailored specifically towards Swords and Kusarigamas.
I'll need to check but I think you can press triangle on a scroll (after selection the menu to do scroll missions) and you can "soul match" the scrolls with another one. Perhaps soul matching it with a divine scroll will, in return, change it's rarity to divine.

Can't say though, haven't played a lot with those scrolls.

Hakimy

Nov 9, 2017
So i defeated the snake boss i think it's called yatsu no kami or something and i had its soul core. So I went to the shrine to put it but it's not there and no where to be found! What's the issue? A bug? Or there is a button that makes you delete a core when you view it for the first time? I don't understand what happened here!

In short i purified yatsu no kami soul core yet i can't find it anywhere even in storehouse. Can anyone help?

Last edited:

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
So i defeated the snake boss i think it's called yatsu no kami or something and i had its soul core. So I went to the shrine to put it but it's not there and no where to be found! What's the issue? A bug? Or there is a button that makes you delete a core when you view it for the first time? I don't understand what happened here!

In short i purified yatsu no kami soul core yet i can't find it anywhere even in storehouse. Can anyone help?
There is the "resting rites" button where you can delete a soul core right after purifying it. Maybe you selected it by accident?

I've finished the two main missions and most of the side missions for the DLC with the splitstaff, and I have some issues with this weapon. It feels very satisfying to play - flashy and fun to use with excellent combo potential. However, I have some concerns about the damage. While you're still in Dream of the Strong, it's great. Once you get into Dream of the Demon though, it feels like the damage just falls off a cliff. I'm totally willing to believe that I'm doing something very wrong, but I'm not having any issues with my tonfa, katana or dual blades build while I'm seeing hits of like 78, 82, 90 with the splitstaff. Feels like something is not right here. Works great for inflicting status effects but I think the damage needs an upward adjustment. Here's my stats with the splitstaff build, for reference:

Level 309
Constitution 48
Heart 30
Courage 99
Stamina 40
Strength 19
Skill 5
Dexterity 5
Magic 99

I'm using Zen Splitstaff +10 with imbue purity and One Eyed Dragon set with Yasakani and Toshiie's Abacus. Could it be a gearing issue? I could try with some of the more generalist sets to see if that makes a difference. I'll work on farming Benkei's too.

Hakimy

Nov 9, 2017
There is the "resting rites" button where you can delete a soul core right after purifying it. Maybe you selected it by accident?

I've finished the two main missions and most of the side missions for the DLC with the splitstaff, and I have some issues with this weapon. It feels very satisfying to play - flashy and fun to use with excellent combo potential. However, I have some concerns about the damage. While you're still in Dream of the Strong, it's great. Once you get into Dream of the Demon though, it feels like the damage just falls off a cliff. I'm totally willing to believe that I'm doing something very wrong, but I'm not having any issues with my tonfa, katana or dual blades build while I'm seeing hits of like 78, 82, 90 with the splitstaff. Feels like something is not right here. Works great for inflicting status effects but I think the damage needs an upward adjustment. Here's my stats with the splitstaff build, for reference:

Level 309
Constitution 48
Heart 30
Courage 99
Stamina 40
Strength 19
Skill 5
Dexterity 5
Magic 99

I'm using Zen Splitstaff +10 with imbue purity and One Eyed Dragon set with Yasakani and Toshiie's Abacus. Could it be a gearing issue? I could try with some of the more generalist sets to see if that makes a difference. I'll work on farming Benkei's too.

Even if that was the case shouldn't it says that I'm doing this? And i think if you do this you get an important item for it but i got nothing!

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Dumb question perhaps, but are your benevolent graves reset when you switch clans? I switched clans 5 days ago and I noticed I'm not getting any glory deliveries anymore, despite always playing online.

Are you sure you looted the soul core and didn't accidentally complete the mission? The latter's node often overlaps with loot like the former. Normally the interact button gives priority to loot, but you may have ended up interacting with the wrong thing.

Other than that it may just be a bug.

Hakimy

Nov 9, 2017
Dumb question perhaps, but are your benevolent graves reset when you switch clans? I switched clans 5 days ago and I noticed I'm not getting any glory deliveries anymore, despite always playing online.

Are you sure you looted the soul core and didn't accidentally complete the mission? The latter's node often overlaps with loot like the former. Normally the interact button gives priority to loot, but you may have ended up interacting with the wrong thing.

Other than that it may just be a bug.

I think maybe i just put it onto resting rites by mistakes though the game didn't warn me about it or anything or gave me any items for it. I guess I'll have to play that stage again unless there are better soul cores ahead in the game than yatsu no kami.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I think maybe i just put it onto resting rites by mistakes though the game didn't warn me about it or anything or gave me any items for it. I guess I'll have to play that stage again unless there are better soul cores ahead in the game than yatsu no kami.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. At the end of the game you'll be swimming in soul cores, Yatsu-no-Kami's included.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
NG++ has been a welcome difficulty addition. I have not looked at builds for min/max type but NG+ I had an axe build that I essentially could charge headfirst at everything. The last boss I could spam his attack move back on him by the time one finished (did 4 straight in a row). I developed a lot of bad habits that now I have to break.

I didn't play beyond NG+ in first Nioh so maybe that's on course for game. DLC bosses seemed easier than first DLC bosses but maybe I was more prepared.

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
I've been running a lightning Golden Boy build for Way of the Strong, but I'm in zone 3 of WotD now and struggling. I haven't theorcrafted it, but it seems bosses in WotD are more resistant to elemental stacking. Is there a good non-elemental build for Katana? I don't care about normal enemies because I'm just running past them to bosses.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
NG++ has been a welcome difficulty addition. I have not looked at builds for min/max type but NG+ I had an axe build that I essentially could charge headfirst at everything. The last boss I could spam his attack move back on him by the time one finished (did 4 straight in a row). I developed a lot of bad habits that now I have to break.

I didn't play beyond NG+ in first Nioh so maybe that's on course for game. DLC bosses seemed easier than first DLC bosses but maybe I was more prepared.
Could be a case of both, i'm sure you were better prepared but I also think the DLC was easier. Not a bad thing if you ask me, the 1st DLC of Nioh was overtuned in NG+ it seemed to be prepared for people who were almost perfectly geared with +15 divine gears. The 1st level itself was doable but the boss could easily kill you in 1 mistake. Here in Nioh 2 at least you don't need to be as well prepared to stand a better chance.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Could be a case of both, i'm sure you were better prepared but I also think the DLC was easier. Not a bad thing if you ask me, the 1st DLC of Nioh was overtuned in NG+ it seemed to be prepared for people who were almost perfectly geared with +15 divine gears. The 1st level itself was doable but the boss could easily kill you in 1 mistake. Here in Nioh 2 at least you don't need to be as well prepared to stand a better chance.

Yah the 1st and the 3rd DLC in #1 where brutal for for me. Overall the second games is really nicely balanced, the counter + soul cores + getting perks that wreck in demon zones offset lots of enemies or boss difficulties. I jumped on Nioh 1 really late (Played complete edition in Janruary through NG+) so I am excited this time around to play it as its coming out.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So I enjoyed the DLC (finished the story missions and most side-missions, doing demon picture scrolls now) I feel like the DLC bosses are kind of disappointing. One of them is literally a remix of a Nioh 1 boss. :\

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
So I enjoyed the DLC (finished the story missions and most side-missions, doing demon picture scrolls now) I feel like the DLC bosses are kind of disappointing. One of them is literally a remix of a Nioh 1 boss. :\
Haha, yeah. It was just Umi-bozu, but less atrociously unfair. I still enjoyed it though. The stage overall was really good.

Anyway, I'm starting to really dig the splitstaff now. I got Benkei's set as well and with good use of elemental attacks it turns into a confusion machine. Trying out one of the new spirit animals as well - I've used Tengen for so long it feels a little strange to use anything else.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I dipped my toes a bit in the Dream of the Demon... lol, all the armour I get completely outclasses my current gear I spent so much time crafting >.>

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017

Two of the bosses are Nioh 1 bosses.

I am still fine with the DLC content.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Yea dream if the demon is much harder than the way of the demon in nioh 1. I like that. Going from dream of the strong enemies be dropping +3 or +4 armors but doing the first mission on demon i had guys drop +10 armors. Quite the ramp up.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I was thinking of starting dream of the demon but I also don't want to have a NG++ character when there's still 2 DLCs left to come out.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I mean, can always play through demon anyway in preparation for DLC2 and DLC3, both of which will most likely add "Dream of the Wise" and "Dream of the Nioh".
I fell off Nioh 1 and only finished it off because of 2 hype, but they really added NG++++?! That's kinda insane. I may as well just play on Demon and play DLC2 off that then.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018

Level 309
Constitution 48
Heart 30
Courage 99
Stamina 40
Strength 19
Skill 5
Dexterity 5
Magic 99

I thought the same thing, even in just NG+. It does a hell of a job inflicting status ailments on enemies, but it definitely lacks in the damage department. It's gotten a little better now that I have a split staff with a little over 2100 attack power, and holding down the attack button does seem noticeably stronger than the regular attacks, but I feel like id do more damage with literally any other weapon. Still one of the coolest additions though!

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
And the Abyss, which gets a lot harder than that.
Now, talk about the mode I'm most eager to see the return/evolution of! I always love survival modes in action games, and Abyss Mode is one of my favorite takes on such!

Since this game seems to have no problems with bringing back old levels and bosses, as it is, I'm largely hoping that if some don't show up anywhere else in the next rounds of DLC, they'll just plop 'em down there. Ideally, the bosses having new moves and tricks, to boot.

Speaking of which, if the final floor's challenge isn't a superboss fight against William using a wild combo of every filthy trick the player could do in the original game, I'll be disappointed!

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I was thinking of starting dream of the demon but I also don't want to have a NG++ character when there's still 2 DLCs left to come out.
Yeahhh that's kind of why I just dipped my toes with one mission (I did the snake shrine one) and didn't go further. I didn't even upgrade my gear to the loot I found yet, I'll probably stick to my current loadout for the next DLCs unless they are much harder.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I fell off Nioh 1 and only finished it off because of 2 hype, but they really added NG++++?! That's kinda insane. I may as well just play on Demon and play DLC2 off that then.
Yeah and, assuming it follows Nioh's footstep, Dream of the Wise will add Ethereal equipments which are stronger than Divine. (But also rarer) Way of the Nioh also allowed us to level individual stats to 200 instead of 99.

Oct 26, 2017

I think this fight is really fun, but boy does it suffer from a real mmo like problem with the timing of the phase shifts - Like big snakey boi yatsu no kami.
Best strategy for me was to stagger him asap so I can get the humanoid form without crabs.

Also switchblade is awesome af