• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Made good progress with farming William for smithing texts (finally more elemental weapons to forge!) and mastering additional weapons. Now only axe (almost done), spear, kusarigama and hatchets left. The last two might be a problem; I just don't feel their play styles at all.

When I'm done with all of that I can finally start working on a dedicated build as well. Currently I have at least 20 in every attribute to cover my bases, but at this point I feel I have a solid enough grasp on the game's mechanics that I can look at the weapons and skills I like and build something around that.

Getting close to the Plat as well. Aside from weapon mastery I have yet to complete a Twilight mission, I need to farm a few more tea sets and there are two unique main mission objectives I need to complete; the Yatsu and Gyuki ones. Shouldn't be too hard on base difficulty.

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
Ok so i got my Lv 170 hatchets. They're now stronger than most Odachis at 2108 Atk lmao

i think i can get them to 2200 if i can squeeze out a +10, but 9 to 10 is pretty brutal

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Finally got my plat! What a fun ride. Easier than the first game though, hopefully the DLCs ramp it up a bit. Now to work on my alt character or push my dual swords up to +10...

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
4cjkkel9un651.jpg

(from r/Nioh)

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
If you wear Kingo's without refashioning, I'm going to judge you.

Anyone else had a problem running into cheaters in co-op? I know these people are cheating because they do like 9k damage per hit and if you look at them before the mission they have a ridiculous amout of ki like 8400 or something. I have been just leaving when I see something like that because I don't want to reward it. Really not sure how you even do that though.

Anyway, I put the finishing touches on my switchglaive build last night and I'm trying to decide what to do next. Spear seems likely, maybe hatchets? I dunno. Those are the only two I have left aside from the big slow weapons, which I don't like. Pretty close to max level too.

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
If you wear Kingo's without refashioning, I'm going to judge you.

Anyone else had a problem running into cheaters in co-op? I know these people are cheating because they do like 9k damage per hit and if you look at them before the mission they have a ridiculous amout of ki like 8400 or something. I have been just leaving when I see something like that because I don't want to reward it. Really not sure how you even do that though.

this amount of damage is completely possible. I use hatchets and can do about 2500 / hit in the right conditions using melee attacks. ive done around 8k with a single hatchet throw. hatchets are not even a particularly strong weapon. If you're using Odachi there are builds that can do 20k in one hit

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Yeah, I've done 4K on a Switchglaive if the enemy is poisoned, and I'm barely level 110ish and my divines are barely in the +5 range since I got tired of grinding for now.

Not saying that people wouldn't cheat if given the opportunity, but would it even be technically possible?

EDIT: Some quick Googling reveals that indeed there are save editors out there that can create items with 9999 Stat values.

Sussudio

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of cheating the system. I ran into a guy in Torii gate today who clearly got his stats edited. It's not the first time but this guy clearly didn't know what he was doing. He was bull rushing through the mission one shotting things every now and then with his sword skipping all shrines. He falls off a cliff and messaged me afterwards with, "dammit, I fell. -_-. didn't even save my progress." lmao

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
heathen earth What's wrong with Kingo's set appearance?

Imo it looks great.
It's the coat! Maybe if it was a different color. But hey, I like to refashion with the purple and pink onmyo robes, so take it with a grain of salt.

Reading these posts about damage values, I'm now starting to think I'm doing something really wrong. I'm definitely not seeing 4k hits, let alone 20k. Honestly not sure how I could be messing up.

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
It's the coat! Maybe if it was a different color. But hey, I like to refashion with the purple and pink onmyo robes, so take it with a grain of salt.

Reading these posts about damage values, I'm now starting to think I'm doing something really wrong. I'm definitely not seeing 4k hits, let alone 20k. Honestly not sure how I could be messing up.
You need to watch a video on how to make a proper build for your character. It mostly comes from tempering and choosing good set bonuses

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Health issues forced me to take a break and while it has only been a week or so, it feels like I haven't played in months, haha. First mission I jumped back into was a gauntlet style side mission and during the third wave or so I remembered you can block. Oops.

Oh well. I'm sure it will get back into the groove soon enough.

I switched back to light armor, after a brief fling with medium. I will keep the latter pieces around, maybe they work better for slower weapons. But for tonfas and swords I really need that mobility, even though the differences are actually quite subtle.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
First attempt at a proper, a bit more focused build:

waMfM37.jpg

I say "a bit more focused" because in the end it's still meant to let me play multiple weapons.

Felt weird to completely ignore Courage like that, given that I leveled it throughout the game. But overall it doesn't offer enough value. Hence why I chose Constitution instead. It lets me use Tonfas, Axes (hammers, technically) and gives me a ton more life to work with.

Heart was a gimme, because it works with so many weapons, and Skill, Dexterity and Magic have been raised just high enough to let me use the armor and Ninjutsu/Onmyo skills I need. Dumped the remaining points into Stamina to give me more wiggle room in terms of equipment load, though it might have been unnecessary.

The set is just your basic Master Swordsman set, though I rolled some very good passives on them.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Only three more trophies to go for the plat. I have to summon 4 more benevolent graves (easy, I just can't be bothered to summon them), I need to master the Kusarigama (God help us all) and I apparently haven't collected all soul cores yet. I'm not sure which one I'm missing, though... Looking at the list Kamaitachi and Tatarimokke seem likeliest. I don't think I have ever seen a One-eyed Imp core either, but maybe they classify as One-eyed Oni?

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Only three more trophies to go for the plat. I have to summon 4 more benevolent graves (easy, I just can't be bothered to summon them), I need to master the Kusarigama (God help us all) and I apparently haven't collected all soul cores yet. I'm not sure which one I'm missing, though... Looking at the list Kamaitachi and Tatarimokke seem likeliest. I don't think I have ever seen a One-eyed Imp core either, but maybe they classify as One-eyed Oni?

There's a way of checking which ones you're missing:

Go to Soul Fusion > Select a Soul Core > Press SQUARE and select FILTERING > Select the top option (ITEM NAME) and you will see ones you had in your possession greyed out (even if you no longer have them).

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I read somewhere, or maybe it was a video, that Quality Umbracite or even Fabled Umbracite has a chance to drop at the end of a Co-Op mission in the Torii Gate, when going in as a Visitor to help others. So far after maybe 10 completions I haven't had one drop in the end game rewards.

Is this possible? I assume the drop chance is relatively low.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I thought I read somewhere, or maybe it was a video, that Quality Umbracite or even Fabled Umbracite has a chance to drop at the end of a Co-Op mission in the Torii Gate, when going in as a Visitor to help others. So far after maybe 10 completions I haven't had one drop in the end game rewards.

Is this possible? I assume the drop chance is relatively low.

It's certainly possible, but I probably had over 100 completions in coop and never got one, so it's probably super rare, as you say.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
How do Twilight Missions work exactly? I'm following a Let's Play and after beating Vipers Sanctum it's allowing them to play through the Twilight Missions and for me they're locked behind some kind of per-requisite.

Everywhere I look online it says I can do them this early, and I'm confused on what I'm overlooking. I never played Nioh 1 so I'm kind of lost, and nothing in game explains them to me (unless I accidentally skipped something?)

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
How do Twilight Missions work exactly? I'm following a Let's Play and after beating Vipers Sanctum it's allowing them to play through the Twilight Missions and for me they're locked behind some kind of per-requisite.

Everywhere I look online it says I can do them this early, and I'm confused on what I'm overlooking. I never played Nioh 1 so I'm kind of lost, and nothing in game explains them to me (unless I accidentally skipped something?)

You need to first unlock them by completing the normal version of said level and then wait for it come around, there is 2 NG and NG+ Twilight Missions active at any moment and it changes on a daily basis.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was an auto lock-on. I can't even use half the moveset because I have to reassign R3 to L1.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Exciting news! I was more or less done with the game after reaching level 300 and making all the builds I was interested in. My left-field desire for a new weapon was an expansion of bare handed combat into a martial arts system, but I know that's not realistic. A staff is definitely very cool. Here's hoping they'll add some new gear to support the weapons that don't have dedicated sets too.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Super hyped for the staff weapon. One reason I went with tonfas was because it felt closest to the "warrior monk" archetype. A staff would fit even better and they might complement each other quite well.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yo they can't fuck with me like that with that chain staff. You're gonna make me do something I'm gonna regret.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Hyped for the DLC, the new weapon looks hype. Hopefully the new missions are fun too, good time to get into the game again I guess!

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm ready for it. Give me that DLC. GIVE IT TO ME. Love this game.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't usually get that excited for DLC but I'm THIRSTY for more of this game. There is just something so fun and addicting about the Souls/Diablo loot mix that Nioh has perfected. Maxed my character to 300 a month ago and I'm excited to jump back in for the DLC.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'll have to play a bit this week, I must be quite rusty after nearly 2 months...

Today I fired up the game for the first time since May and my muscle memory is completely gone.

Since I've been playing a lot of Dead Cells, at first I even tried to move my character with the D-Pad (!).

Then after some adjustment, I kept trying to hold L1 to run because I've also been playing a lot of TLOU2 (!!).

And then I realized I'd forgotten how to do the Yokai Skills (!!!)

I'm gonna get clobbered in the DLC, aren't I?

Last edited:

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really wanna play this but I don't have a PS4 (holding off for the PS5.) Considered asking my roomate if I could use theirs, but they are playing Ghosts of Tsushima rn so that's a no-go. PC port still set for November?

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Really wanna play this but I don't have a PS4 (holding off for the PS5.) Considered asking my roomate if I could use theirs, but they are playing Ghosts of Tsushima rn so that's a no-go. PC port still set for November?

No doubt it will eventually release on PC, but the status of the release is unknown and no doubt COVID-19 has thrown a wrench in their plans.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No doubt it will eventually release on PC, but the status of the release is unknown and no doubt COVID-19 has thrown a wrench in their plans.
Good point. Well, at least it can be a launch game (for me) for PS5 :) I feel more confident in the og version than I do the eventual PC port anyway.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'm curious to see how Nioh 2(and the original for that matter) will run on PS5.

The variable framerate mode (which is basically "movie" mode but with an unlocked framerate) could potentially reach a steady 60, making it the ideal way to play from now on.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to see how Nioh 2(and the original for that matter) will run on PS5.

The variable framerate mode (which is basically "movie" mode but with an unlocked framerate) could potentially reach a steady 60, making it the ideal way to play from now on.
Ya. This is one possibility that makes waiting not such a huge issue for me. My backlog is huge anyway, and having my first experience with N2 being optimal would not be bad at all.

Pretty cool that it's so replayable (according to the reviews) so even vets will be able to enjoy those potential benefits.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I finally decided to play tonight, did both Twilight mission and Calamity Pulse. I died once against Okatemaru, I feel bad.

I think my muscular memory will come back sooner than I thought though.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States

Yeah for sure, but I am actually more eager to play it off a SSD. I enjoyed my time spent with Nioh 2 but I pretty much shelved it for PS5 or PC because I just could not stomach the load times.