• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Maeda Toshiie...

tenor.gif

I can only imagine the rage Shibata Katsuie will induce.

Edit: Maeda is finally down, and he took my stock of elixers with him. Did they really have to put these two bosses in the first mission of the region...

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Got 'em.

SQpRhxF.jpg

The fight actually left me panting and lightheaded, like I ran a goddamn marathon. Probably the hyperfocus kicking in, as I had to deplete the last 5 - 10% of his health with the HP you see in the screenshot.

Utterly fantastic boss, though. What a contrast with that dumpster fire tier fight with Maeda. His repeated bull charges reminded me of good ol' Vordt from Dark Souls 3. Had a lot of fun dodging them once I figured out the timing.

Cherry on top was the game rewarding me with a cutscene in which yet more famous historical people die. /s

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats. Some of the most fun I had was when ran out of elixirs and had less then half health during a boss fight. I probably died each time, but it was fun.

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
Man I just summoned some visitors and after we were done someone sent me a msg on PSN and called me out for not saying thanks. I mean, i guess I should've bowed or something but come the f on. More than half the time i help someone else they don't say anything, i never even cared and barely even notice

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Man I just summoned some visitors and after we were done someone sent me a msg on PSN and called me out for not saying thanks. I mean, i guess I should've bowed or something but come the f on. More than half the time i help someone else they don't say anything, i never even cared and barely even notice
Seems petty of them. Don't worry about it.

Sussudio

Oct 27, 2017
So, after realizing i was four trophies short from platinum on the OG Nioh. I re-downloaded the game and played it for the first time in three years...and I think I've massively underappreciated the overall improvements Team Ninja made in Nioh 2. Hopping on the OG after playing Nioh 2 a lot is jarring man. The only thing I miss from that game are the living weapons and my Okatsu skin.

Sussudio

Oct 27, 2017
High spirited Demon can be a real doozy first playthrough. I think most people considered that level the worst in the game. Fully complete the level once and just run to the boss on future runs. At least the boss is easy and a quick proficiency farm.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
At least defeating Koroku 250+ times in Shiftling's Wise Judgment paid off. I killed him on my first attempt here, with plenty of elixirs to spare. If anything his new burst attack made things much easier because it's so easy to react to. Plus you can actually break his shell from the get-go.

If only the normal enemies were so easy to kill.

Pro-tip: turn of the music in the audio settings. Only now do I realize how rash it made me act.

Edit: Made it to (and killed) Mezuki, but calling it quits for today. What a gauntlet.

On the upside, I died once because a Kappa shoved his fingers up my ass.

Last edited:

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
High Spirited Demon is a tough level but i honestly don't hate it. I don't know why but i didn't find particularly frustrating and i think i kinda liked. Probably helped that mumyo helps especially for the ferret boss. Mezuki is an easy boss.

Also the boss house of the arena is really easy and has an obvious weakness

Maybe it's my build, what stuff people find difficult i found easy and vice versa except for some exceptions it seems like your build and playstyle really affects it

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
My two least favorite missions in this game are Bird in a Cage and The High Spirited Demon. Hmmm, whatever could these two have in common?

I've been farming the final boss for the last day or so on expeditions and as a visitor and I'm continually amazed by how many people apparently get one shot by a regular old yoki and things like that. Makes me very nervous about trying onmyo or ninja builds.

Probably a long shot, but if anyone happens to have a divine Wave Swimmer sword, let me know. I'm working on a build using it and haven't had any luck with drops. I also have some divine purity tonfas I could trade if anyone wants them, one Sarutobi and one Martial Artist.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
My two least favorite missions in this game are Bird in a Cage and The High Spirited Demon. Hmmm, whatever could these two have in common?

I've been farming the final boss for the last day or so on expeditions and as a visitor and I'm continually amazed by how many people apparently get one shot by a regular old yoki and things like that. Makes me very nervous about trying onmyo or ninja builds.

Probably a long shot, but if anyone happens to have a divine Wave Swimmer sword, let me know. I'm working on a build using it and haven't had any luck with drops. I also have some divine purity tonfas I could trade if anyone wants them, one Sarutobi and one Martial Artist.
I always imagine some of those death was someone being careless or made a stupid mistake than the yoki or gaki being strong

Or fighting multiple enemies and got killed by w gun

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I still die to Yoki quite often. I guess the light armor doesn't help, but those guys just hit hard; especially the axe wielding ones. Plus they mix up their combos. Sometimes they do a follow-up and sometimes they don't. If they do and you mistime your dodges or blocks, you're dead.

Anyway, completed The High-spirited Demon. The boss wasn't that hard, but he still managed to catch me off-guard with his slice burst attacks in his last phase, quite a few times, which meant instant death and starting from scratch. Blegh. Also I'm a moron because at first I didn't realize you had to grapple his 'eyes' and in my first few attempts I went ham on them with combos and wondered why nothing happened.

Edit: Cheesed Hanzo in Like Lightning with Focused Strike spam. I regret nothing.

As a reward I received a set that focuses on Ninjutsu and spears. Odd choice...

Last edited:

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
Why do some divine items have more special effects than others? Even if it's the same weapon? I've seen anywhere from 5-7 special effects on them.

Also what determines if a weapon has sentience? Does it just depend on the specific item name, and some items have it while others don't? So if I want sentience on my weapon I just have to find a different weapon?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Final Kawanami Clan Armor smithing text results:
~250 Koroku kills in The Shiftling's Wise Judgment and nothing.
3 Koroku kills in The High-Spirited Demon (THsD) and it drops.

I wasn't even farming for it in THsD, I just wanted to get the individual pieces for refashioning. The desire sensor is real.

At this point it is also safe to say it couldn't actually drop in the first mission, contrary to what the fanmade spreadsheet says.

In the meantime I have also mastered the Sword, Tonfas and Odachi. I initially discarded the sword because I thought it was offensively vanilla, but it's actually a surprisingly fun weapon. The sheathing animation when there's blood on the weapon might be the slickest of the bunch.

The fights against the odachi weapon master in particular highlighted a real problem I have with the game and its "your rules aren't my rules" nonsense. When I do a combo and the first attack misses, and I still choose to follow up with a second attack, I remain locked into the direction I was initially facing and I'm basically wide open until the animations runs out. This happens quite often with the tonfas' Demon Dance > Pulverize combo. And I mean, it's fine since continuing the combo was a mistake on my part. Yet when the AI misses its first attack, it simply adjusts automatically for the second attack to go in your direction. The odachi weapon master did it with some of his combos and Maeda did this too with one of his rapid spear thrust combos.

You can argue that the AI is at least consistent in their combos, and eventually you will recognize these combos and know when to continue dodging/blocking. But it is easy to misread a move in the heat of the action and it sucks to get punished with a stunt you could never hope to pull off, especially when you feel like you were actually doing OK.

Somewhat related is the inability to hit bosses in particular out of certain attacks. Sometimes it feels it should happen, especially in case of particularly hefty attacks, but then the boss just eats the hit, laughs and kills you for trying. The game is very aggressive in enforcing its "wait for your turn" philosophy, where I wish it would instead reward the player for taking these kind of risks.

Lastly, I am currently playing through Mausoleum of Evil and it just baffles me how I die over and over to that first Ubume. I fought them enough times by now to predict their behavior, or so I thought. But I am starting to think the game intentionally adjusts enemy behavior depending on the level. There has to be a reason why she almost never does her burst grab attack normally, yet spams it in this encounter.

Oh, and sorry for another rambling post. But this is the stuff that keeps me awake at night.

Oct 26, 2017

I haven't played in a couple of weeks but I believe I have one, can hook you up if you still need it.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Shuten Doji went down surprisingly easy.

Currently trying to gain more Ninjutsu/Onmyo proficiency, but I'm not sure how the game keeps track of it in the first place. Simply activating skills like Catwalking and Sneak Thief and running past everyone doesn't seem to do all that much, so I assume you need to use the associated techniques in combat. If that's the case, would you be able to train them simply by activating relatively long lasting effects like Catwalking (Ninjutsu) and Divination (Onmyo) and go to town on a boss?

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
I assumed that Catwalking and Divination didn't increase proficiency. I think I read somewhere that damage dealt decides proficiency gained. I think talismans and Iga bombs is what I started to get proficiency.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I assumed that Catwalking and Divination didn't increase proficiency. I think I read somewhere that damage dealt decides proficiency gained. I think talismans and Iga bombs is what I started to get proficiency.
I'm almost certain they do, since I sometimes unlock a new Ninjutsu level when I run around fighting enemies with Catwalking still active.

That said, it only happens seldomly and the scaling might be less on these skills since they last so long and don't actually aid you in a fight.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Tested Divination in a regular side mission playthrough (The Roaming Artisan to be precise) and it does increase Onmyo proficiency, though at a slow rate. Like, between 500 - 1000 or so for the entire mission, though it wasn't active all the time. In any case, if you would use it while fighting a boss like Daidari Bocchi, while also using elemental talismans, I think it could really rack up the score.

I should test it tomorrow. I'm still only at 100.000 of the 250.000 proficiency needed for what I assume is the final Onmyo dojo mission, so Lord knows I need it.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
OK, did the test. Daidara Bocchi only, first with only Divination active and then another one with only Fire Talisman (FT)active. Couldn't keep the latter active for the entire fight, but I used 2 for each hand and since fire wrecks him, they were active during most of my attacks.

Starting Onmyo proficiency: 105.292
After Divination: 108.755
After FT: 107.358

This actually surprised me. The FT fight was over super fast, so that's likely the reason I got less proficiency from it. But it seems the base proficiency gain is the same for both skills, even though Divination does nothing for you in battle.

Now I have to replay the level because Daidara dropped the Twin Dragon Tonfa smithing text after the second test, and hell if I let that go to waste. When I get back I will to test if and how Catwalking counts for Ninjutsu proficiency and whether you get more proficiency from "active" skills like Fireshot and Thunderstorm, as opposed to the passive Divination and FT.

Edit:

Did another Daidara run and gained about 5000 proficiency from going all-out with Divination, Fire and Luckbringer Talismans, plus a couple of Thunderstorm shots. Sadly I'm an idiot and forgot to check my Ninjutsu proficiency beforehand, so I don't know how much proficiency I got from keeping Catwalking active. I did gain a Ninjutsu level during the fight, so at least we can conclude it does something at least.

5000 isn't ideal as farming goes, especially since I need another 135.000 proficiency to unlock the next Dojo mission. That would mean another 27 Daidara kills.

(I wish I had realized all of this way earlier so I could have Divination active for most of the 100+ hours I played this game by now. Alas...)

Last edited:

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
Do bosses on NG+ drop every smithing text? I'm trying to farm for Oni Shibata set and ive gotten three different texts, none of which are from his set

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Lady Osakabe is the first boss that made me quit out of sheer apathy.

I'm sure I could beat her eventually. I just don't want to get anywhere near this gimmicky mess.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Lady Osakabe is not fun. Probably the least fun boss in the game. The mission is cool, but they dropped the ball with that boss.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I expected the fight to be a colossus climb after I saw the cutscene, but instead it's basically Daidara but now you're also fighting the camera.

Looked her up and, unsurprisingly, elemental resistance helps a ton against her. I might just bail out to reset my Onmyo skills, farm elixirs because my stockpile is almost gone, and then try again but this time with an odachi.

The mission itself was fun, so I don't actually mind redoing it. I could use more Infernal Pins anyway.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Worked like a charm. Died one time to the limbs' physical sweeps, but after that it was relatively smooth sailing. With so much resistance, the orbs were really only damaging my Ki and the lasers weren't the death beams they were before. Also this time I was able to manage my Ki better to I could go ham on the the eye and destroy about 40 persect of Osakabe's health per phase. The dark realm was dodgy, the surprisingly last phase only required me to destroy two limbs, which made up for it.

Currently 120 hours in and still learning new things. For example I had no idea you were able to mimic Mujina and 'bond' with them. I've also finally started placing benevolent graves and holy shit, I've already received tons of Glory.

I'm also ashamed to admit I only recently discovered how to enhance active skills with Arcana and the like. I thought this was a feature you had to unlock for the shrine (since one card is still blank), but all this time it was available through the skills menu...

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, there's an awful lot of game mechanics that are barely explained, or buried away in one of the amrita memory tutorials, plus a lot of stuff they expect you to remember from Nioh.

I went through the entire game without realising that you had to set the Onymo mystic arts in the skill tree to active for them to do anything. I had thought that the effect just wasn't very noticeable.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Speaking of which, I only just realized I didn't have a mystic art set for ninjutsu. Those kunai could have been doing way more damage than they were. -_-

Does anyone know of a good (text) guide for soul matching and inheritable properties? I only just learned that I've been doing it wrong this whole time and I'd like to get started on farming some really good stuff since I'm near the level cap now.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
At first I thought the Mystic Arts were passives too, but luckily I wanted to change my skills directly after unlocking my first. Then I noticed you had to equip those as well.

Something I looked for but have yet to discover (if it exists in the first place): where can you see the effects of stuff like Luckbringer and the elemental Stop talismans? You'd think these would be reflected in your status screen, but they aren't. Curiously, they don't show up in the list of active effects either. But maybe I'm missing something.

Anyway, almost done with Cherry Blossom Viewing in Daigo. Cool mission, cool boss.

Already knew the first victory was a fakeout, didn't expect the second victory to be one as well. Apparently Daidara's soul core makes short work of the clones, so gonna try that.

I never did like Tokichiro, but that last cutscene was nice. At first I thought he was being cynical, referring to the first time I killed him. Then I realized he meant I purified him, much like how he purified me way back in the beginning.

Edit:

See, that wasn't too bad.

As much as I criticize the story, seeing the protag's mother drop her hood and departing for the afterlife actually gave me the feels. Gonna miss Koroku as well.

I hope at least the Kappa stays.

Edit 2:

Final mission is... disappointing. I assume the vat grown yokai make sense if you played Nioh 1?

Weird boss run as well. I guess it's a means of getting more elixirs, but just giving you a full collection of Kodama would've been a better solution.

Last edited:

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
I havne't been able to see the effects of magic buffs either. Playing the game I could tell, but no where on the Status screen or another menu.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
I'm not gonna lie, I laughed my ass off during the boss fight when I got Kashin Koji all the way down and dude just goes, "I refuse to die!" and pops back to life.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
u0CVJ3P.jpg

👍

Didn't expect to beat this fucker in only five attempts and with elixirs to spare. When he summoned all his swords for the last phase I expected to be thrown into the blender, but it honestly wasn't that hard.

0Oqyk2M.jpg

D'aww, she calls me Hiddy.

Seriously though, I've grown surprisingly fond of Mumyo over the course of the game. Definitely an ending I can live with.

Also the scenes shown after Otakemaru's defeat, the three people wielding the branched sword, that has to be a preview for the DLC right?

So the new difficulty level is basically this game's New Game+? If so, then I really, really like the way this game does it. I don't often start NG+ in other games because there's always something you lose. Sometimes important stuff and I can't be arsed to work my way back to the point it's available again. But here you only gain.

Might as well design a new character to play through NG+ with. You can switch anytime you want, anyway.

I havne't been able to see the effects of magic buffs either. Playing the game I could tell, but no where on the Status screen or another menu.
It seems like such an odd oversight. For example, I can tell from experience that the elemental Stop talismans make a big difference. But it would be nice to be able to know exactly how much, so I can decide whether to invest points into the elemental resistance passives in the Onmyo tree or if I don't need to.

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
This game is so much different after you watch a guide on how to make a proper build. Yeesh. Took me until halfway through NG+ to learn how to play my character

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Haha, damn, Calamity's Pulse. Killed Yatsu, knew it couldn't be the only boss since it's an Online Mission, then killed Shuten Doji but ran out of elixirs. I was just about to gather Shuten's soul core and congratulate myself on a job well done when Otakemaru spawns and one-shots me.

Guess I should have expected given the location...

Yatsu's appearance was odd, since it wasn't actually sealed there. Tamamo-no-Mae was, but Lord knows where she went after she escaped.

He did drop a divine Drying Pole, so I can't complain. In fact, this might be a good mission to farm smithing texts of these bosses, or at least the first two.

Fucker killed me 79 times the first time I went through the game.
Ouch!

My record against him so far is 3 kills and 25 deaths. Most of those kills were from my first attempt, so thus far I think the owl boss is still the king with 1 kill and 20 deaths.

From the yokai enemies at least. Koroku is probably king overall, by virtue of farming him for literal days. Otherwise Maeda Toshiie is likely the boss I died to most.

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
So the new difficulty level is basically this game's New Game+? If so, then I really, really like the way this game does it. I don't often start NG+ in other games because there's always something you lose. Sometimes important stuff and I can't be arsed to work my way back to the point it's available again. But here you only gain.

Yep, Way of the Strong gives you a new rarity, new Dojo missions, but more importantly beating the final boss in NG+ will give you a new accessory that is a staple for all end game builds.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Got the platinum today!
Currently about halfway through NG+ and have managed to get the Yasakani Magatama which allowed me to build 4 pieces of the Genmei Onmyo Mage set, 1 piece of the Onmyo Warrior set (weapon) and the Black Fox Mask and i pretty much melt all enemies now with elements and debuffs and 25% untouched onmyo magic.

Got my weapon to 160+6 and my armour to 160+4/5 which increased my stats considerably.

With all that out of the way I think I'm going to take a break from the game for a while until nearer the time that the DLC comes out. Really excited to get back into it when it comes out, I love this game.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Looked up some the Japanese VAs. Turns out Mumyo is basically her VA, Haru:

haru05-e1538945933434.jpg

Uncanny.

Yep, Way of the Strong gives you a new rarity, new Dojo missions, but more importantly beating the final boss in NG+ will give you a new accessory that is a staple for all end game builds.
Would that by any chance be the Yasakani Magatama Razmos mentioned? I've seen other people rave about getting it early and yeah, I can see why.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Looked up some the Japanese VAs. Turns out Mumyo is basically her VA, Haru:

haru05-e1538945933434.jpg

Uncanny.

Would that by any chance be the Yasakani Magatama Razmos mentioned? I've seen other people rave about getting it early and yeah, I can see why.
Damn they really captured her likeness!

And yep thats the one little trick that Yokai hate.
I used this method to get it early:

It did take an hour or so but its worth it!

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
Think I'm gonna take a break for a bit. Beat NG+ and got a pair of Hatchets up to +9. Was really hoping I could get a Lv 170 divine weapon to drop but looks like it's not gonna happen. Character is up to about Lv 250. I spose I could push to 300 but it doesn't feel like there's much point. Hopefully DLC hits soon and i can do NG++

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah 170 is very rare. I think I got a tea set at 170 and nothing else, but I haven't been farming to get one. This close to the first DLC it is probably better to just wait.