• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Ah man, replayed part of mission 2 for one of the blacksmith plans, got one after a bit of farming, boned out, turns out it's the medium version instead of the light.

At least the mission is a lot easier now, if not because of my level than at least because I'm faintly aware of what I'm doing. Really digging the tonfa skillset so far!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I haven't come across one and I've been playing since the patch was released, the only new missions are the pale blue ones (called "online," for some reason).

Today's rotation is the level 113 and 102 missions.
Oh? Someone told me the Flexile mission got a Twilight version. And they said there was a new Twilight here:
EYE3Kq2XQAAcbra

I still think Wheelmonks are worse. Goddamn how I hate them.
I always find it funny how their more dangerous attack is probably that "slow" roll. If they so much as slowly start rolling into you, RIP your health bar.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Oh ok the japanese version of Jason Momoa's Aquaman just joined me in battle. An unexpected development but a welcome one

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Farming those mutated hides looks like it was well worth it. That 200 life drain on melee kill looks insane.

With so much loot, inventory management can be quite a chore. I might as well get rid of everything except for the small selection of equipment I actually use and maybe purple grade gear. If I want to try a new weapon, I can just buy one at the blacksmith. I'm swimming in gold anyway.

What would be the best thing to do with this equipment? Break it all down at the blacksmith? Sell it? Offer them to the kodama?

Stats still confuse me. I currently focus on leveling Courage and Constitution, with the occasional point into Heart and Stamina. I also have some points in Strength, Skill and Dexterity, but these are leftovers from the early game. I know I can respec, but that feels like a waste of gold when I still don't know what I'm doing.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Farming those mutated hides looks like it was well worth it. That 200 life drain on melee kill looks insane.

With so much loot, inventory management can be quite a chore. I might as well get rid of everything except for the small selection of equipment I actually use and maybe purple grade gear. If I want to try a new weapon, I can just buy one at the blacksmith. I'm swimming in gold anyway.

What would be the best thing to do with this equipment? Break it all down at the blacksmith? Sell it? Offer them to the kodama?

Stats still confuse me. I currently focus on leveling Courage and Constitution, with the occasional point into Heart and Stamina. I also have some points in Strength, Skill and Dexterity, but these are leftovers from the early game. I know I can respec, but that feels like a waste of gold when I still don't know what I'm doing.

You can filter out equipment so that you don't down on trash gear. For example, you can set it so that you only see blue gear or better.

Usually you'll get more dividends by breaking it down and selling the components, though you might want to keep some at hand in case you want to craft something. Offering to the kodama is also a good idea if you need some extra elixirs for a boss battle.

Your stats will depend mostly on what weapon you're using. If you're using the Odachi as your primary weapon, then strength will give you the most benefit. I'd say that at this point in the game a least half your experience points should go to strength, assuming you're sticking to the Odachi.

Is purple better than gold?

Gear rarity is:

Green > Purple > Blue > Yellow > white

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I have a $25 voucher on PSN so this would be $15. I am tempted but also afraid, lol

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Finally finished all main and side missions. 115 hours.

Honestly just kept rolling right along. NG+ is gonna be fun

gdt

Oct 26, 2017

No need for you to farm yet.

You are so early in the game, you'll get a better piece of gear so soon that farming will be a waste.

Just keep playing. For gear, just keep the defense number and equip weight on mind. I stay in the green weight category, but you'll want to be in blue, at least. For weapons, just keep going higher, till you start getting to elemental weapons, then you can start messing with the blacksmith to hold onto stuff you like.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
No need for you to farm yet.

You are so early in the game, you'll get a better piece of gear so soon that farming will be a waste.

Just keep playing. For gear, just keep the defense number and equip weight on mind. I stay in the green weight category, but you'll want to be in blue, at least. For weapons, just keep going higher, till you start getting to elemental weapons, then you can start messing with the blacksmith to hold onto stuff you like.
Heh, I farmed it more for the looks than the stats; I only discovered the set bonuses after I finished farming it. Maybe it's indeed a waste of time in the long run, but I like how the set looks and at least now I have the transmog unlocked.

Plus Enenra is a great boss. Had a blast fighting him again with tonfas. I burned through my elixers pretty quickly and had to deplete the last ~30 percent of his health bar with only ~5 percent health left myself, but I managed to pull through in the end.

Thanks for the tips, though. I already saw on the character info screen that my agility is rated as A, which I figured is best for a character that focuses on dodging. My toughness is only C, but I assume these two are mutually exclusive for the most part.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
No. I've played none of those. Sense you mentioned Souls then I guess that is a yes it's super hard. I heard stories about those Souls games. I don't need that stress.
A lot of that is just marketing. There is a level of strictness to their design and some tough bosses and mini-bosses, but the games aren't that difficult.

I would say the most difficult games are those really masochistic indie platformers like boshy.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
No. I've played none of those. Sense you mentioned Souls then I guess that is a yes it's super hard. I heard stories about those Souls games. I don't need that stress.
A lot of that is just marketing. There is a level of strictness to their design and some tough bosses and mini-bosses, but the games aren't that difficult.

I would say the most difficult games are those really masochistic indie platformers like boshy.
He's right in the sense that if you can block, the "hardest games ever" is just marketing. Bloodborne for exemple is actually way harder than all DS and Niohs

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Got the entire Golden Boy equipment set, the fact that it increases lightning damage is great with the thunder shot onmyo magic and the bow damage makes stealthing fools much easier with less risk. Plus a whole lot of extra health! Shame its so damn heavy though

Speaking of stealth I was really worried that the backstab ability had been removed from this game before I finally found it in the ninja skill tree, phew!

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how I feel about the Dark Realm stuff in this game, for most boss fights it just feels like a pause button where I just dodge around for a bit until they go back to normal. The Owl boss I did last night is the only one that's done something interesting with it so far.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how I feel about the Dark Realm stuff in this game, for most boss fights it just feels like a pause button where I just dodge around for a bit until they go back to normal. The Owl boss I did last night is the only one that's done something interesting with it so far.
Really ? I just kept going, just needed to be more wary of my ki management, and Yokai form got some nice bonuses there, and you can set up the boss for grabs... I believe some soul core abilities are also more powerful in the Dark Realm.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
I really love this game. I played with katana to start with, then switched to tonfa and onmyo and the game got much more manageable. I was probably playing katana wrong, I dunno. The game seems a lot easier than the first, which had some extremely frustrating parts to me. Maybe my perspective has changed, but I find it much less of a struggle and it feels like the game gives you more tools to handle combat situations. I'm at level 110 with just over 100 hours played and about to check out the Mausoleum of Evil mission. A lot of my playtime has been spent doing expeditions with random players, which is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. I've yet to come across a group that can actually complete The High Spirited Demon, not that I'm judging. That's a seriously hard mission with a pushover boss.

I'm curious to know what missions and bosses have given you guys the most trouble. Hardest missions overall for me have been A Way Out, Bird in a Cage and The High Spirited Demon. Hardest bosses have been Azai Nagamasa, Tatarimokke and Shibata Katsuie. Azai in particular was a real asshole for me, I just can't seem to cope with the constant counterattacking he does.

I'd also like to hear some advice about stats. I got courage up to 52, heart 15, magic 30. I'm currently trying to pump up stamina so I can wear some of the heavier armor and stay in B agility and toughness. Even the medium weight armor has gotten too heavy. Is this a good idea?

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Really ? I just kept going, just needed to be more wary of my ki management, and Yokai form got some nice bonuses there, and you can set up the boss for grabs... I believe some soul core abilities are also more powerful in the Dark Realm.
Hmm I should try the core abilities more in Dark Realm maybe. It just never feels worth the risk expending Ki on attacks inside the Dark Realm in case I need to dodge a few times.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I really love this game. I played with katana to start with, then switched to tonfa and onmyo and the game got much more manageable. I was probably playing katana wrong, I dunno. The game seems a lot easier than the first, which had some extremely frustrating parts to me. Maybe my perspective has changed, but I find it much less of a struggle and it feels like the game gives you more tools to handle combat situations. I'm at level 110 with just over 100 hours played and about to check out the Mausoleum of Evil mission. A lot of my playtime has been spent doing expeditions with random players, which is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. I've yet to come across a group that can actually complete The High Spirited Demon, not that I'm judging. That's a seriously hard mission with a pushover boss.

I'm curious to know what missions and bosses have given you guys the most trouble. Hardest missions overall for me have been A Way Out, Bird in a Cage and The High Spirited Demon. Hardest bosses have been Azai Nagamasa, Tatarimokke and Shibata Katsuie. Azai in particular was a real asshole for me, I just can't seem to cope with the constant counterattacking he does.

I'd also like to hear some advice about stats. I got courage up to 52, heart 15, magic 30. I'm currently trying to pump up stamina so I can wear some of the heavier armor and stay in B agility and toughness. Even the medium weight armor has gotten too heavy. Is this a good idea?
Having used katana exclusively in 1, and having used spear exclusively in 2, the game definitely gets easier based on the weapon you choose. I steamrolled through 2 with mid-stance and high-stance spear. Only had difficulty with Shibata, and even then, after I made some small upgrades to my gear, I kicked his ass, too. Katana is hard to use because it has less range and you need to read openings better.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Well, maybe I wasn't just playing it wrong. Tonfas are great though, especially once you unlock the mystic arts for them. I feel like human enemies are almost defenseless against them.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Looking through the weapon skills, are tonfas the only weapons that synergyze with dodging? All the other weapons seem to focus exclusively on guarding, at least when it comes to unique follow up skills.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
The sword is an amazing weapon. It doesn't have the flair that some of the other weapons do but to me it feels like one of the most well rounded weapons in the game. Some of it's attacks are just insanely good too. Many of the human bosses just can't deal with Flowing Shadow attack. I used the sword for most of the original game and used it primarily in NG+ for Nioh 2.

The tonfas are probably my favorite though. I honestly think all the weapons are great. The only weapon I'm not too crazy about is the ax/hammer but that's mostly because I only ever use light armor.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Heh, I farmed it more for the looks than the stats; I only discovered the set bonuses after I finished farming it. Maybe it's indeed a waste of time in the long run, but I like how the set looks and at least now I have the transmog unlocked.

Plus Enenra is a great boss. Had a blast fighting him again with tonfas. I burned through my elixers pretty quickly and had to deplete the last ~30 percent of his health bar with only ~5 percent health left myself, but I managed to pull through in the end.

Thanks for the tips, though. I already saw on the character info screen that my agility is rated as A, which I figured is best for a character that focuses on dodging. My toughness is only C, but I assume these two are mutually exclusive for the most part.

You can eventually refashion gear at the Blacksmith, so you can change them to look like any other piece of gear you've found.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
You can eventually refashion gear at the Blacksmith, so you can change them to look like any other piece of gear you've found.
I know, but I wasn't sure when I would loot these particular pieces. Maybe it's the next mission, maybe not until a dozen hours later. The smithing text took me 5 minutes to farm, and the mutated skins an hour or so. Now I have them and can use the look whenever I want.

Plus it was fun to do.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Always makes me sad when people bash the katana. It's a fun weapon, one of the more "grounded" ones and the animations are really nice. :(

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I've only tried swords in the first game, I wanted to like them but too many skills were based around parrying. I haven't tried every single weapon, but the only parry I've been able to reliably pull off is the spear skill Bracing Breeze in Nioh 2.

I'm surprised how much I ended up liking spears, they're boring in most other games but they're anything but in this. Each stance almost feels like a completely different weapon. I really like low stance in particular, hopping over enemies is great and the pole vault dodge skill (Rainbow Ruse) is a better dodge than the standard dodge.

I only picked them as a backup for switchglaive because the scaling overlapped, but I ended up liking them just as much.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'm on the cusp of completing the main story (last mission), how hard is it to do something like this in the postgame build grind?

Doesn't even have to be optimal bonus, just looking for the gear.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'm on the cusp of completing the main story (last mission), how hard is it to do something like this in the postgame build grind?

Doesn't even have to be optimal bonus, just looking for the gear.

Seems pretty doable, though I have no idea how rare a drop the smithing text for the Sozasamonji Matsukurago. The rest is no problem, other than the Matagama which is only a warranted drop from the final boss in Dream of the Strong AFAIK (though it can drop elsewhere after you unlock divines)

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Seems pretty doable, though I have no idea how rare a drop the smithing text for the Sozasamonji Matsukurago. The rest is no problem, other than the Matagama which is only a warranted drop from the final boss in Dream of the Strong AFAIK (though it can drop elsewhere after you unlock divines)

Where can I grind for Warrior of the West and Golden Boy gear?

I tried to farm the text for Golden Boy off the low level side mission where you can fighting Imagawa but it just doesn't drop.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Where can I grind for Warrior of the West and Golden Boy gear?

I tried to farm the text for Golden Boy off the low level side mission where you can fighting Imagawa but it just doesn't drop.

Are you using the Kodama bowl to increase your drop chances? You should always use it when farming. And yes, the text should drop from Imagawa.

You could also try your luck farming Revenants in NG+, and then soul matching it up, but I don't know how popular it might be. Warrior of the West should be easier to get from revenants.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Are you using the Kodama bowl to increase your drop chances? You should always use it when farming. And yes, the text should drop from Imagawa.

You could also try your luck farming Revenants in NG+, and then soul matching it up, but I don't know how popular it might be. Warrior of the West should be easier to get from revenants.

Where do I get a Kodama Bowl from?

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Where do I get a Kodama Bowl from?

It's a mission reward from doing the mission "The Search" (the one where you have to find a bunch of Kodama and Soudama as your objective).

It increases Kodama's blessings by like 25%, which combined to the Hunter's Blessings for a base 25% increase to drop rates.

And also make sure to have a Kodama Soul Core equipped.