• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020
Is there an easy checklist of all the side missions that are not directly unlocked by playing main missions, and how to unlock them?

I finished everything but there are still a handful of locked side missions on map.

Sep 7, 2018
No. I've played none of those. Sense you mentioned Souls then I guess that is a yes it's super hard. I heard stories about those Souls games. I don't need that stress.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Souls games are not stressful. That's an exaggeration.
I love this game, but it can be stressful, yeah. Especially for someone like me who never played them before (well, 30mn of Bloodborne before the shitty framepacing made me nauseous), I would be lying if I was saying that I was not on the edge for the most part of Way of the Samurai ^^. The joy of overcoming the challenge was more than worth it though...

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
> Starts up Nioh 2 for the first time
> Character creator
> OK, let's see here...

> "Do you wish to proceed with this character?"
> ...wait let me start over

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
You can also edit your character during the campaign at any time (and age him / her up, which makes sense as you will soon learn).
So I've noticed. I wish more RPGs would let you customize your character's appearance whenever you want.

Picked up the Odachi as my main weapon and Tonfas as secondary. Wolf as guardian animal because it looks badass. Not sure how well everything compliments each other stat wise, but I always like two-handed weapons and there aren't many games that let you use tonfas. So here we are.

Edit: also separate muscularity sliders for different body parts, for both male and especially female characters, should be an industry standard from now on.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat the first boss after like 30 tries. Lol.
Can someone please explain the weapon/armor color ranking system to me? I looked it up but can't find any info anywhere. I mainly want to know the order of rarity and If I get a purple for example, but have a higher level common item, should I still be using the purple because it can eventually be much superior to the common item? Which items should I be looking to upgrade once I unlock the blacksmith?

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Finally beat the first boss after like 30 tries. Lol.
Can someone please explain the weapon/armor color ranking system to me? I looked it up but can't find any info anywhere. I mainly want to know the order of rarity and If I get a purple for example, but have a higher level common item, should I still be using the purple because it can eventually be much superior to the common item? Which items should I be looking to upgrade once I unlock the blacksmith?

Color is similar to other loot games. The rarer the item, the more and better stats on the item. Rarity works in this order:

Green > Purple > Blue > Yellow > White. (Though you won't see any greens drop until after you finish the game for the first time).

Overall I'd say you shouldn't worry too much about the loot, specially at low level. As you learn how the game works, you'll find which stats work better for your play style. Before you get divines, (green loot), loot is for the most part pretty disposable. So you'll just keep going through gear as you make progress in the game, until you eventually get a full set of purples with the stats you like (unless you find a certain item with a Stat that particularly fits your build).

Your best source of gear at this point is probably revenants (the red NPCs you can duel when you touch an Untended grave). You can start experimenting with the blacksmith after you unlock it but again, it's not so essential at this point of the game.

The blacksmith is super complex and it's pretty much a mini game of its own.

Here's a tutorial that explains the basics of the blacksmith.

Oct 25, 2017
Color is similar to other loot games. The rarer the item, the more and better stats on the item. Rarity works in this order:

Green > Purple > Blue > Yellow > White. (Though you won't see any greens drop until after you finish the game for the first time).

Overall I'd say you shouldn't worry too much about the loot, specially at low level. As you learn how the game works, you'll find which stats work better for your play style. Before you get divines, (green loot), loot is for the most part pretty disposable. So you'll just keep going through gear as you make progress in the game, until you eventually get a full set of purples with the stats you like (unless you find a certain item with a Stat that particularly fits your build).

Your best source of gear at this point is probably revenants (the red NPCs you can duel when you touch an Untended grave). You can start experimenting with the blacksmith after you unlock it but again, it's not so essential at this point of the game.

The blacksmith is super complex and it's pretty much a mini game of its own.

Here's a tutorial that explains the basics of the blacksmith.

That helps a ton. Thank you!

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Damn this game reminds me of Ninja Gaiden. Much more than any Soulsborne game so far.

Already died over a dozen times in the first mission alone, haha. And I haven't even finished it yet. When I encountered the first Enki I thought it was just a tutorial to teach me Burst Counter. Do it once, Enki dies, tutorial finished.

Boy was I wrong.

Currently stuck at the second Enki fight with the reduced stamina (ki?) recovery. I'm just constantly drained, even when I try to use Ki Pulse as best as possible. Maybe I shouldn't try to dodge every attack and block more? It's worth a try I guess.

It will have to wait until tomorrow, though. I'm so tired I actually died to a random Burst attack from one of the lowly rogue mooks on the path to Enki.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Damn this game reminds me of Ninja Gaiden. Much more than any Soulsborne game so far.

Already died over a dozen times in the first mission alone, haha. And I haven't even finished it yet. When I encountered the first Enki I thought it was just a tutorial to teach me Burst Counter. Do it once, Enki dies, tutorial finished.

Boy was I wrong.

Currently stuck at the second Enki fight with the reduced stamina (ki?) recovery. I'm just constantly drained, even when I try to use Ki Pulse as best as possible. Maybe I shouldn't try to dodge every attack and block more? It's worth a try I guess.

It will have to wait until tomorrow, though. I'm so tired I actually died to a random Burst attack from one of the lowly rogue mooks on the path to Enki.

If you are in the Dark Realm (the area where you get the Yokai horns and your Ki recovery is diminished), find and kill the Yokai that is the source of that particular Dark Realm instance. That particular Yokai will leave a trail of red flowers as it moves, so it's easy to identify it. When you kill it, that will permanently dispel the dark realm and the enemies in it will stop respawning.

Enkis have a limited moveset, so it's easy to dodge and punish their attacks. If you break their horn, you'll basically drain its Ki. Once Yokai reach a zero Ki state, your attacks will stagger them until they regain their Ki, so use that opportunity to wail on them.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
If you are in the Dark Realm (the area where you get the Yokai horns and your Ki recovery is diminished), find and kill the Yokai that is the source of that particular Dark Realm instance. That particular Yokai will leave a trail of red flowers as it moves, so it's easy to identify it. When you kill it, that will permanently dispel the dark realm and the enemies in it will stop respawning.

Enkis have a limited moveset, so it's easy to dodge and punish their attacks. If you break their horn, you'll basically drain its Ki. Once Yokai reach a zero Ki state, your attacks will stagger them until they regain their Ki, so use that opportunity to wail on them.
Ah, that's good to know. I did see the trial of red flowers, but didn't spot the yokai that left it. Does it disappear if you don't kill it fast enough or does it hide somewhere?

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
They don't disappear, but sometimes will be chilling in a house. Otherwise they have a set path they follow.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
It's also worth noting that while you don't have to dispel the dark realms, it's usually worth your time since often there'll be chests or shrines that will be unavailable until you do so.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Finally took down that Enki. Breaking its horn with high stance indeed did the trick.

Thought I would be stuck at the level boss for a while afterwards, I managed to kill it on my fourth attempt. That was the first time I drained its Ki and it was a huge help. My burst counters were surprisingly on point as well. Most of his normal attacks were easy enough to dodge through, as long as you don't panic dodge at least.

Funny how I recognize many of these monster names and some of the terminology in general from Shin Megami Tensei/Persona.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I didnt use much onmyo magic in the first game, but the switchglaive is my new favourite weapon in the sequel and its stat is magic so I thought I might as well give it a try, already loving it haha! I'm using the life leech talisman and its so useful.

I'm on the third main mission and just got a corrupted switchglaive and it looks awesome, especially in high stance

Last edited:

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
Now that I'm near the end of the game I find it super chill just to set search to random and jump into helping whoever needs it. Good way to load up on cups as well. I had one person bow to me about ten times after beating some boss. They must have been at it awhile.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How would you guys rank difficulty (easiest to hardest) in: Dark Souls III, Nioh, Bloodborne, Nioh 2, and Sekiro.

I know these kind of posts are dropped in these threads like crazy, but I have an itch to hop in a SoulsborneNiohSekiro game.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
How would you guys rank difficulty (easiest to hardest) in: Dark Souls III, Nioh, Bloodborne, Nioh 2, and Sekiro.

I know these kind of posts are dropped in these threads like crazy, but I have an itch to hop in a SoulsborneNiohSekiro game.

Honestly, while Nioh and Nioh 2 have a steeper learning curve due to the deeper combat and added systems, I'd say they are potentially the easiest of all the games you listed, because of how easy it is to build a super overpowered character that crushes the game through sheer stat overload. For most players, the second half of the game is gonna be much easier than the first one. And you can always sumon other players to help you, along with the benevolent graves to summon acolytes to at least distract bosses.

I'd say Sekiro is the hardest, if anything because you can't just summon or level up to trivialize challenges. High NG cycles of Sekiro with no charm are probably as hard as these games get.

I'd put DSIII in second, specially the DLC and its bosses.

Bloodborne is probably the easiest of all the games, due to how easy it is to heal, and how easy it is to parry just about anything. (except for some of the harder chalice dungeons, which are some of the hardest parts in any from game)

EJS

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thanks, all. Sekiro was beyond my scope. I just gave up. I got about half-way through and was not progressing well enough so I gave up but I finished Bloodborne and it is one of my favorite games of the generation.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls 3 > Nioh 2 > Nioh > Bloodborne > Sekiro

DS3 really easier than NIOH 2? I find myself actually beating bosses in Nioh 2 lol whereas Dark Souls 3, I am so bad and get hit when dodging lol.

Also, I'm upset Sekiro is harder than bloodborne because I want to play that game so badly and I had so much trouble with Bloodborne.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
DS3 really easier than NIOH 2? I find myself actually beating bosses in Nioh 2 lol whereas Dark Souls 3, I am so bad and get hit when dodging lol.

Also, I'm upset Sekiro is harder than bloodborne because I want to play that game so badly and I had so much trouble with Bloodborne.
Your first sentence answers your second. Basically, it's different for everyone...

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So far I'd say you can't really compare the difficulty of Soulsborne games and Nioh.

Dark Souls's approach to difficulty is more like a test of endurance: can you make it to the next checkpoint (bonfire) with the limited amount of healing at your disposal? Regular enemies are strong, sure, but so are you. If anything, Dark Souls treats the player and enemies alike in terms of damage output and durability.

Nioh 2 on the other hand is punishing and feels blatantly rigged against the player. I'm only in the second mission and even lowly 'rogue' enemies act like damage sponges while instantly comboing you to death the moment you make even the smallest mistake. Yokai like Enki and now Ippon-Datara act like bona fide (mini-)bosses, but apparently they're just considered "strong regular enemies". I mean, The Lothric Knights from DS3 are tough, but it never took me a dozen tries to get past one.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Sekiro > Nioh > Nioh 2 > Bloodborne > Dark Souls 3 IMO

I only put this to show how different is this for each person lol

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Both Niohs have a steeper learning curve than From's games, but it flattens out fairly quickly.

It's the opposite of Sekiro, in which the learning curve isn't nearly as steep, but the difficulty always keeps pace with the players growth in power.

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes i summon a visitor and they kill the boss in like 2 hits. How do you get so OP? Are they just insanely high level? A guy just killed Tatarimokke in like 3 seconds

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes i summon a visitor and they kill the boss in like 2 hits. How do you get so OP? Are they just insanely high level? A guy just killed Tatarimokke in like 3 seconds

yeah high level (300) plus certain builds to optimize damage. Besides combat, the heart of this game is the optimization of different builds (eg weapon based, skill based, magic based)

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Killed Enenra. Whew! Heart, meet throat.

The fight was definitely frustrating at times, but in hindsight I enjoyed getting better at the fight with each attempt. During my last attempts I actually felt in control of the battle, but would fuck up, eat hits and die. Once I stopped making those mistakes it was surprisingly smooth sailing.

Best strategy I discovered thus far is to let powerful enemies come at you and wait for the burst attack, which I can then counter easily because I am prepared for it. If I focus too much on attacking, I can't react to them and I usually die. In case of Enenra it was also learning it moveset and recognizing "save" openings such as both of its body slams. During the Dark Realm phases I simply kept my distance until I felt a burst attack was coming so I could counter it.

Also, picking up the Running Water: Man skill has been a game changer.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Killed Enenra. Whew! Heart, meet throat.

The fight was definitely frustrating at times, but in hindsight I enjoyed getting better at the fight with each attempt. During my last attempts I actually felt in control of the battle, but would fuck up, eat hits and die. Once I stopped making those mistakes it was surprisingly smooth sailing.

Best strategy I discovered thus far is to let powerful enemies come at you and wait for the burst attack, which I can then counter easily because I am prepared for it. If I focus too much on attacking, I can't react to them and I usually die. In case of Enenra it was also learning it moveset and recognizing "save" openings such as both of its body slams. During the Dark Realm phases I simply kept my distance until I felt a burst attack was coming so I could counter it.

Also, picking up the Running Water: Man skill has been a game changer.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Enenra is a fun fight that teaches you a lot about the game. I banged my head against him in the first demo for a bit, so when I got to him in the final game he wasn't too bad.

Burst Counters are really good, and one of the reasons I feel this game is easier than Nioh 1 (since they don't exist in that game).

Which weapons are you using?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm glad you're enjoying it! Enenra is a fun fight that teaches you a lot about the game. I banged my head against him in the first demo for a bit, so when I got to him in the final game he wasn't too bad.

Burst Counters are really good, and one of the reasons I feel this game is easier than Nioh 1 (since they don't exist in that game).

Which weapons are you using?
Well, enjoying it... Haha, it's fun overall but I won't lie: after one too many deaths tonight I was close to ragequitting. That was when I repeatedly got ganked by those two rogues/outlaws on the path to the first Ippon-Datara, near the shrine at the start of the level. It got better later, but I really do think the game punishes mistakes too harshly. It's one thing to die to a boss over and over, it's another to get one-shot by a mook because your own attack was one millilmeter out of reach.

Currently using the Odachi. I've tried to use some other weapons, I'm interested in all of them. But every time I try one, I instantly perform better when I switch back to Odachi. Maybe it's the range.

EJS

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am watching some reviews, game seems like it has a ton of layers in basically everything, making the learning curve quite high?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Replayed the first mission with the tonfas. They're pretty fun! Fast and the core Ki Pulse > Evade skill fits my playstyle like a glove. Kind of wish the high stance reached higher, as I had trouble breaking Enki's horn. Still a much easier fight than it was yesterday.

I am watching some reviews, game seems like it has a ton of layers in basically everything, making the learning curve quite high?
Yeah, it's a lot to take in. Multiple weapon types, multiple stances per weapon, a wide variety of skills per weapon, a gazillion passive equipment bonuses... With so many systems in play, I try to take it one step at a time. Pick one weapon, stick to one stance, only look at damage/defense to determine what equipment to use, etc. Once you got that down, you can look at things like the other weapons, what stances to utilize in a given situation, Ki (stamina) management, etc.

In fact, that's the point where I'm currently at. I haven't even really looked at Yokai cores and all that supernatural stuff yet, because my brain is still processing all the other stuff.

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
I have played 255 hours and decided to start a new character/playthrough for reasons. And I am in a mission and I was just killed by an attack that I have never seen an Enki do before. It fell on their back and flailed around and I am pretty sure I have never seen that before.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I have played 255 hours and decided to start a new character/playthrough for reasons. And I am in a mission and I was just killed by an attack that I have never seen an Enki do before. It fell on their back and flailed around and I am pretty sure I have never seen that before.
I started playing on Saturday and I felt like I had Enki's moves down really well and I found it one of the more fun enemies to challenge, and then it used this move on me as well out of nowhere, there must be something that specifically triggers it because it doesn't seem to be part of its normal move set. Maybe you hit it out of the air?

Speaking of, something I found fun but dangerous with the Enki as well is that I'm ingrained in thinking that if an enemy jumps into the air and tries to throw something i should try and roll under them, but it counters this by doing a dragoon dive right into your skull if you attempt it, switching up its attack at the last second, it has done it to me a few times and I find it quite funny

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

It's not a common attack, for whatever reason. I think it only uses it when its horn is broken.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
The story is such nonsense lol. Literal years pass between each level. I know it was the same in the first game but William was on a journey, the protagonist is just going along for the ride this time and its like... what are they doing in the time periods between levels lol

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
So I am doing a side mission early in game. Gozuki is tough - I am having trouble because after his bull rush, he does a secondary attack that seems way too close to my original dodge against his bull rush and it does insane amount of damage....

I will try again today. I normally give myself a break if I get too frustrated so I am not burning out, but this one bothered me for sure.

nioh2.wiki.fextralife.com

A Voice in the Twilight | Nioh 2 Wiki

A Voice in the Twilight is a Sub Mission in Nioh 2. A Voice in the Twilight walkthrough, rewards, enemies, bosses, items, tips and tricks for Nioh 2

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The story is such nonsense lol. Literal years pass between each level. I know it was the same in the first game but William was on a journey, the protagonist is just going along for the ride this time and its like... what are they doing in the time periods between levels lol

Yeah, like 40 years pass throughout the campaign. I actually aged up my character to reflect this. At one point, he even lost an eye.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Its great that even with all these fancy new tools and all these new monsters the Karasu Tengu is still the most bullshit enemy in the entire game.
Fuck those things so much