• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
So is the axe just designed around using heavy armor and investing a lot of levels into hp? Seems like it's just very hard to use without taking hits here and there. I know this ain't exactly dark souls, but I was trying to play it like I would in Souls wearing light armor and running around with the big strength weapon and it just doesn't feel right.

The odachi feels so much better. The axe attacks are so slow, lack forward movement overall, and the range is very poor.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
So is the axe just designed around using heavy armor and investing a lot of levels into hp? Seems like it's just very hard to use without taking hits here and there. I know this ain't exactly dark souls, but I was trying to play it like I would in Souls wearing light armor and running around with the big strength weapon and it just doesn't feel right.

The odachi feels so much better. The axe attacks are so slow, lack forward movement overall, and the range is very poor.
Yeah, the Axe is incredibly slow, it was my least preferred weapon when I was doing the dojo missions. I suppose you need to have a good knowledge of each enemy matchup to be able to make it work with light armor.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Axe and light armor is a very bad idea unless you are amazing at dodging and finding attack openings. Axe needs heavy armor and high toughness because it is so slow. There is probably a way to to use axe, carry a full heavy armor set, and still have a 'B' agility, so you should be able to move decently even after wearing full heavy.

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
I have been mainly using the Odachi and Axe so far, with heavy armor (Tatenashi). It's getting a little bit stale, especially the Axe. The Odachi is basically easy mode too with Swirling and Moonlit Snow.

I want to try Tonfas since they seem really fun, aggressive, and tanky. Though I want to try like all the other weapons. I just wish that Books Of Reincarnation weren't so expensive to swap back and forth with builds — unless I am missing something.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I have been mainly using the Odachi and Axe so far, with heavy armor (Tatenashi). It's getting a little bit stale, especially the Axe. The Odachi is basically easy mode too with Swirling and Moonlit Snow.

I want to try Tonfas since they seem really fun, aggressive, and tanky. Though I want to try like all the other weapons. I just wish that Books Of Reincarnation weren't so expensive to swap back and forth with builds — unless I am missing something.

I played exclusively with the Axe and Odachi and Nioh 1 and yeah, they are boring as hell.

In Nioh 2 I played with the Kusarigama, Switchglaive and hatchets and it's a world of difference. Much more rewarding.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017

Does the price of books of reincarnation also goes up when we buy them at the Tea house ?

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Finally had a chance to come back to this game after being sidetracked by FF7 and Animal Crossing.
Beat the main game yesterday and man, I still get the urge to just hop on and do some random encounters online. The combat is just so good in this game.

Can't wait for DLC, think I'll try out other weapons and grind up their proficiencies in the meantime.

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I am downloading Nioh (1). Last time I played I was at 20 hours and finally summoned someone to help me beat the boss in the second mission. My character was at level 30 I think.

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
So I just started playing this game yesterday. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, it feels harder than Dark Souls because of how aggressive the enemies and combat is. I'm currently at the first boss, although I only really attempted him once before going to bed.

how does coop work? Is it the red and blue graves on the ground?

Also how do i refill my potions? unlike Souls games it appears they don't automatically refill when you pray at a shrine so I'm always really scared to use them.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So I just started playing this game yesterday. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, it feels harder than Dark Souls because of how aggressive the enemies and combat is. I'm currently at the first boss, although I only really attempted him once before going to bed.

how does coop work? Is it the red and blue graves on the ground?

Also how do i refill my potions? unlike Souls games it appears they don't automatically refill when you pray at a shrine so I'm always really scared to use them.

The Red and blue graves are NPCs. Red ones are npc versions of players who died at that spot and can be fought for loot. Blue ones are npc versions of players that can be summoned to help you.

In order to actually summon other players, you have to use the shrine. In there there's a option to summon visitors, which costs Ochoko cups (which can be farmed from revenants, the red phantom npcs).

Elixirs are actually refilled at the shrine like in dark souls, but you only get 3 at the beginning of a region. You can also get them from enemies as drops, but that's an extra. Since you can only carry 8 at a time, the surplus goes to your storehouse, and those are added to your inventory once you die or rest at a shrine, which is probably why you thought they weren't getting replenished.

In order to increase the minimum "free" elixirs you get at the shrine, you have to find Kodamas (the friendly green tiny spirits hidden in the levels you guide back to the shrine). The more Kodamas you find per region, the more free elixirs you get at the shrine when you die or rest. So finding Kodamas is important, also because they grant some pretty useful bonuses.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
Does anyone know why the guardian spirit can sometimes change to the backup spirit mid mission? It's happened several times and I don't know if I am doing it on accident or not. I hate when it happens because my main spirit has enemy sensor on it and it goes away when it switches to the backup spirit.

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know why the guardian spirit can sometimes change to the backup spirit mid mission? It's happened several times and I don't know if I am doing it on accident or not. I hate when it happens because my main spirit has enemy sensor on it and it goes away when it switches to the backup spirit.
Are you sure you aren't pressing the key presses to switch spirits?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It must be by accident. It happened to me a few times when I was still not used to the controls.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I really dislike that they hid away certain skills as incredibly rare drops from bosses. I'm near the end of the game and I haven't had a single one drop yet. I see no reason why they couldn't have been guaranteed drops, and reading up it seems the drop rates are so low that you need to repeat the same missions over and over again.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
The first DLC is due for release on July 30.
It looks like all DLCs will be set in the Heian period, as expected.

Last edited:
1.09 adds new missions; Photo Mode

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Updated 1.09 released, has some new missions and a new armor set, some other things as well. Sounds like there will be a new twilight mission coming, too. No new trophies apparently. Haven't played it yet but may reinstall this weekend just to do so.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Photo mode sounds amazing.

49893305198_2314bbc0e6_b.jpg

I wonder how they handle it while doing Coop? Does the game pause for the other player while you fiddle with the settings? Is it disabled if another player is around?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played the update yet, but from the screenshots, it looks like a lot of the new missions are boss fights, like fighting Akechi Mitsuhide and making his onmyo buddy a boss finally (instead of fighting Ryomen Sukuna a second time).

Perhaps we'll get some of those masochist boss fights that were missing.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Haven't played the update yet, but from the screenshots, it looks like a lot of the new missions are boss fights, like fighting Akechi Mitsuhide and making his onmyo buddy a boss finally (instead of fighting Ryomen Sukuna a second time).

Perhaps we'll get some of those masochist boss fights that were missing.

Return of Gourd 2.0?

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
Great now this update convinced me to finally make the lightning build I've been eyeing >.< Damn this game is good.

Oct 26, 2017

Yes. It's called Winds of Ruin. All dojo bosses.

Also I haven't done all the new missions yet but there's one with dual bosses, only difference is you get Mumyo to help out, so that drastically changes the difficulty. But maybe it's a good sign that some of the insane missions of Nioh 1 will return in DLC/higher difficulties.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Yes. It's called Winds of Ruin. All dojo bosses.

Also I haven't done all the new missions yet but there's one with dual bosses, only difference is you get Mumyo to help out, so that drastically changes the difficulty. But maybe it's a good sign that some of the insane missions of Nioh 1 will return in DLC/higher difficulties.

Man, I'm gonna farm the shit out of that mission.

Can't wait for the glowing loot piñata.

Sussudio

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the farm missions Team Ninja, feels good swimming in amrita and gear at the end of the misson. I can easily breeze through them too so they only take a minute or two max.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I swear my controller is not working as intended because my character moves like in slow-motion or the game has some sneak frame drops where only my character is affected .I have almost full stamina bar and no negative status effects (dark realm, Sloth etc) and A agility. This was apparent in the new double boss fight in latest patch and the semi-boss rush at the new beach sub-mission. At least missions were on easier side so had to improvise a bit.

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
How does coop work exactly? I've tried summoning a few blue graves but I want to put my own blue grave down next to a boss door so i can just help with bosses. Not seeing how to do it

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
How does coop work exactly? I've tried summoning a few blue graves but I want to put my own blue grave down next to a boss door so i can just help with bosses. Not seeing how to do it
You have to use an item called Righteous Jasper to put a Benevolent (blue) grave. It should be in your inventory.

As for the coop, you have to go in the Torii Gate (starting point) to set up or join expeditions or being summoned as a visitor.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So if I only want to help with bosses, that isn't possible?

No; you can use the Torii gate to be summoned from the main map. You can specify which mission you want to be summoned to, or set it to be summoned to any mission you have already completed, but whether the host will summon you from the Shrine nearest to a boss, or (more often than not) from the first shrine at the beginning of a mission is something you find out only after being summoned.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Does burst countering Karasu Tengus just... not work? That multi hit spin combo, I have countered into it at like all phases of it, literally right into the fucker and nothing happens.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Does burst countering Karasu Tengus just... not work? That multi hit spin combo, I have countered into it at like all phases of it, literally right into the fucker and nothing happens.
Yeah you can. But Brute, Feral, Phantom guardian spirits got different timing on their counter. Which one are you using ?

Is it possible to go back and redo the first mission , but solo? Seems it's not on my map anymore
You can. But sometimes they get behind the secondary missions of the same place, you got to tap R1 to make them appear.