• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
so, after griping about not having enough health, I killed the third boss without any more leveling up. I just had to play more of a distance game. Second boss in a row where I ran out of healing items and had to play the last minute or two straight with the tension of maybe dying at any moment, really fun when that happens and I win... less so when I lose lol

Basically you unlock "active abilities" in the skill tree that give you a set bonus on skills, but you have to go on the skill managment screen (the place where you choose/remap what skill are in use) and set each skill with an active ability (using the square button to see the list).

So you can get for example a skill that does more damage base on you stamina points or a skill that uses more ki but does more damage.
Another example - i had my double katana iai move do more damage but with no option for ki pulse after that.

thanks, I had a suspicion there was some way to set this up, having read those skills, but I didn't know where.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I can't get this damn Yasakani Matagama to drop for shit. I wonder what I'm doing wrong

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone around to help out with Kashin Koji? Can deal with everything until he pulls out hit clones, then I get gang banged to death.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
For the Yakasani Magatama, it is a guaranteed drop from the last boss in NG+. Also, just FYI, the "-1" benefit will not stack if you equip two of them.

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
Took me too long in new game plus to realize I can just skip a third of each level since I don't need to look for Kodamas or anything.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Any news of a fix for matchmaking? I'm interested in the game and will buy when I find a good deal, but I hear that matchmaking is kind of busted? Is that still an issue?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Took me too long in new game plus to realize I can just skip a third of each level since I don't need to look for Kodamas or anything.
There are a good chunk of missions where you can just run to the boss without killing any enemies.

Any news of a fix for matchmaking? I'm interested in the game and will buy when I find a good deal, but I hear that matchmaking is kind of busted? Is that still an issue?
I don't have issues on my own. I usually create expeditions, they fill pretty fast, I do random encounters, I join pretty fast, I summon from time to time, no issue either. I'm in NG+ so I can't talk about NG online experience.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Just need to finish grinding omnyo proficiency and the platinum is mine!! 120 hours total, not bad.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
What magic buffs are the best to use against strong enemies and bosses? Any particular that you guys Always equip?

I played lowish level character with very light armor for A Agility and Devigorate Talisman was a must for survivability.

Purification Talisman against Yokai enemies. It melts their Ki away.
Lifeseal Talisman against Human enemies. It slows down their Ki regeneration.
Barrier Talisman to increase your Ki recovery and automatically dispel Ki Pollution.

I don't think matchmaking is broken. It's just there's probably 10x more people looking for help than people offering help at the Torii gate. I helped probably over a hundred players and never had to wait more than 30 seconds to be summoned as a visitor.

Last edited:
Some DLC info.
OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
sbnp303kcyv41.jpg

Development of the DLC is still on track.

Of course, the safety and well being of the developers comes first. I certainly feel that I had my fill of the game so I wouldn't mind waiting a bit for the DLC, though it's nice to get an update on the matter.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Finally got my Platinum. Got side tracked by Doom Eternal but I finally came back to get the few trophies I was missing.

This Platinum is so much easier than Nioh 1, by the way.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got my Platinum. Got side tracked by Doom Eternal but I finally came back to get the few trophies I was missing.

This Platinum is so much easier than Nioh 1, by the way.
Same here, got it yesterday as well. Definitely easier than Nioh 1. I'll reinstall the game once the DLC is out, I plateaued pretty hard and my character is too powerful for the current missions.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I didn't play the first one, what was harder in it ?

You had to do all the Twilight Missions for the "Samurai of Legend" trophy, which was a pain in the ass if you hadn't done them all by the time you finished the game. You had to wait maybe over a week for the missions you were missing to show up in the rotation.

Also, I seem to recall getting maximum proficiency for the weapon mastery took longer.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
You had to beat all the missions on way of the demon, and some of the missions, especially the double boss fights, were ridiculously tough. And the DLC was very hard.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
You had to do all the Twilight Missions for the "Samurai of Legend" trophy, which was a pain in the ass if you hadn't done them all by the time you finished the game. You had to wait maybe over a week for the missions you were missing to show up in the rotation.

Also, I seem to recall getting maximum proficiency for the weapon mastery took longer.
So there was much more Twilight Missions in the first game ? What is Demon difficulty ? DLC specific ?

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So there was much more Twilight Missions in the first game ? What is Demon difficulty ? DLC specific ?

Yeah, the DLC Twilight Missions showed up in the rotation as well.

They added a bunch of post game stuff to Nioh 1 as well, some of which was really hard, but I don't think those missions where needed for the trophy.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
You had to beat all the missions on way of the demon, and some of the missions, especially the double boss fights, were ridiculously tough. And the DLC was very hard.

Way of the Demon wasn't for the base game platinum, but at least some Way of Demon was required for 100% including DLC; same thing will be true here after DLC hits.

I recently got the plat and then only did about half of the dlc trophies cuz some of them were designed to keep you playing for a few more months and I'd rather clear Nioh 2 and return to Nioh later if I'm not burnt out.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i have 2 main mission left and like 6-8 side mission to beat the game

should i rush and beat the main game or should i finish all the missions left before?
im not sure how the "endgame" works here

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
i have 2 main mission left and like 6-8 side mission to beat the game

should i rush and beat the main game or should i finish all the missions left before?
im not sure how the "endgame" works here

There aren't any missions that appear after the final mission. So feel free to do whatever. The endgame is getting divine shit in NG+.

One thing that's missing from this game compared to the first are those side boss fights that are crazy as fuck making you fight a gank squad. I remember the nightmare that was Nobunaga and Ice Queen that appeared after you finish the game Nine-tailed Fox and mother's boy after you beat the final DLC. Annoying as fuck those. Not designed well at all. And yet, I kind of miss them.

Oct 25, 2017
There aren't any missions that appear after the final mission. So feel free to do whatever. The endgame is getting divine shit in NG+.

One thing that's missing from this game compared to the first are those side boss fights that are crazy as fuck making you fight a gank squad. I remember the nightmare that was Nobunaga and Ice Queen that appeared after you finish the game Nine-tailed Fox and mother's boy after you beat the final DLC. Annoying as fuck those. Not designed well at all. And yet, I kind of miss them.

that and bullet/arrow/cannon spamming are the Team Ninja special. It feels kind of incomplete without getting abused (and eventually overcome) those two-boss battles

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Dual boss fights just don't fit this franchise well because of the way locking on works. As much as I love Nioh 1 and 2, the lock-on system needs work and attacking enemies without lock-on is just asking for trouble. Not to mention that the camera just glues itself behind you and kills your field of view.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Dual boss fights just don't fit this franchise well because of the way locking on works. As much as I love Nioh 1 and 2, the lock-on system needs work and attacking enemies without lock-on is just asking for trouble. Not to mention that the camera just glues itself behind you and kills your field of view.

Yeah agree that why this one doesn't have a lot of dual boss fights, the first Nioh had a lot lot more than this. Giant bosses are the same, the camera just don't work great in those either.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Meeting on the Other Shore (the Nobu/Yuki dual fight) nearly drove me completely insane. I did manage to win it, but it took me DAYS.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
the way I tackled it was to sloth them both then weakness on Yuki and focus all my attacks on her then face down Nobu on his own, it wasn't easy but that's basically how I got through every dual boss fight, take out the easier one first while playing keep away from the other.

Quick change scroll helped too.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Just started this, cleared out the first corrupted shrine on the first level. Seems tough, as expected.

But not sure if I'm imagining this, the game immediately strikes me as fairer? I got annoyed with Nioh quite often in terms of the way enemies seemingly had hyperarmour a ton of the time but in this the Yokai actually seem to be bothered by my attacks. They seem a bit less relentless as well, more obvious openings for attacks.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Just started this, cleared out the first corrupted shrine on the first level. Seems tough, as expected.

But not sure if I'm imagining this, the game immediately strikes me as fairer? I got annoyed with Nioh quite often in terms of the way enemies seemingly had hyperarmour a ton of the time but in this the Yokai actually seem to be bothered by my attacks. They seem a bit less relentless as well, more obvious openings for attacks.

Well, in general Yokai in both games (at least the larger ones) have hyperarmor pretty much all the time until you put them in a zero-Ki state; once there you can just wail on them since even the slightest attacks will stagger them (applies to bosses as well). I feel the difference is that draining Ki in this game is more front and center and there are more tools for you to do so ( like burst counters and many soul core skills)

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
One random Ippon Datara outside of the Forge of the Twilight Enenra mission just dropped a Yasakani Magatama, just like that, poof. The funny thing is that I had a bug which prevented me to put a blue grave on the stage, so I quit the game just before the last boss, and when I went back the fucker was close to the door so I decided to kill him.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I wish there was some kind of Soul Core list, where you can keep track which ones you currently have/missing.

There is one!

Go to Soul Fusion > Select a Soul Core > Press SQUARE and select FILTERING > Select the top option (ITEM NAME) and you will see ones you had in your possession greyed out (even if you don't have it anymore). So you can cross reference that with a list of all the Soul Cores in the game to quickly find out which ones you're missing.

This game is insane in terms of how much shit it keeps track of.

It's like Dark Souls had a baby with Microsoft Excel.

Miggy

Oct 25, 2017
There is one!

Go to Soul Fusion > Select a Soul Core > Press SQUARE and select FILTERING > Select the top option (ITEM NAME) and you will see ones you had in your possession greyed out (even if you don't have it anymore). So you can cross reference that with a list of all the Soul Cores in the game to quickly find out which ones you're missing.

This game is insane in terms of how much shit it keeps track of.

It's like Dark Souls had a baby with Microsoft Excel.

Woooow. I wish I knew that before I got the platinum. Still, thanks for the tip.
This game literally tracks everything in the finest detail.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I was lucky that I didn't have to grind for the soul cores, though the proficiency grinding was a chore. I've uninstalled the game since getting the platinum just so I can beat other games, but I'm looking forward to getting back into it come DLC time.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I was lucky that I didn't have to grind for the soul cores, though the proficiency grinding was a chore. I've uninstalled the game since getting the platinum just so I can beat other games, but I'm looking forward to getting back into it come DLC time.
If you found the proficiency grind bad, don't even try to 100% the Ongyo / Agyo titles like I'm doing now ^^. The "kill 500 humans" with X weapon is hurting my soul, especially when I don't like the gameplay of some weapons...

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
I just died to a cannon soldier on the middle of the stairs to the first mini-boss in The Golden Castle mission because my controller ran out of energy.

Rondre Tibet

Feb 13, 2018
Quick Question. Im trying to use the Golden Boy Set. I have Sozasamonji Matsurago Lvl 66 and master archers bow 56 equipped. They are in white on the set bonus screen. It shows 2 pieces of the Golden Boy set equipped. When I equip any other Master Archer piece it shows up red. It wont allow to get the other bonues for each next piece. It openly lets me do 2. Any help please.

Oct 26, 2017
I just died to a cannon soldier on the middle of the stairs to the first mini-boss in The Golden Castle mission because my controller ran out of energy.

That sucks. I've fallen to my death more than once due to analog stick drift problems. I really should stop using that controller.

Quick Question. Im trying to use the Golden Boy Set. I have Sozasamonji Matsurago Lvl 66 and master archers bow 56 equipped. They are in white on the set bonus screen. It shows 2 pieces of the Golden Boy set equipped. When I equip any other Master Archer piece it shows up red. It wont allow to get the other bonues for each next piece. It openly lets me do 2. Any help please.

Armor pieces have stat requirements. Master Archer's is a heavy set and it requires 9 Stamina and 8 Strength, those requirements can be halved if you get the Smithing Text and craft it yourself at the blacksmith, but since it's heavy armor you'll need to invest in Stamina regardless.

Rondre Tibet

Feb 13, 2018
That sucks. I've fallen to my death more than once due to analog stick drift problems. I really should stop using that controller.

Armor pieces have stat requirements. Master Archer's is a heavy set and it requires 9 Stamina and 8 Strength, those requirements can be halved if you get the Smithing Text and craft it yourself at the blacksmith, but since it's heavy armor you'll need to invest in Stamina regardless.

You get that from the lightning elephant boss correct?