• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
After grinding proficiency for what felt over a dozen hours I finally got all the Weapon Mastery trophies. I actually enjoyed getting these trophies since they forced me to use weapons I wouldn't have used anyway.

The hatchets, tonfas and dual katanas are awesome.

The spear is pretty cool.

The katana has never clicked with me and this was no exception.

The odachi and axe are boring and I don't think I'll ever use them again.

Oct 25, 2017
After grinding proficiency for what felt over a dozen hours I finally got all the Weapon Mastery trophies. I actually enjoyed getting these trophies since they forced me to use weapons I wouldn't have used anyway.

I find spears still odd to use

feel like they made axe even slower, but both axe and Odachi have spin to win so they get love for me

dual swords, in contrast to axe, feels really good to use. I might main that after Tonfa.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I find spears still odd to use

feel like they made axe even slower, but both axe and Odachi have spin to win so they get love for me

dual swords, in contrast to axe, feels really good to use. I might main that after Tonfa.

Yeah, axe and Odachi seem to have the lowest learning curve. I feel they are probably geared towards beginners. Like, Yokai and human alike just melt under high stance R1-R2 combos.

I think I'm going to build my character around the Hatchets and Kusigarama for the DLC, with the switchglaive in my back pocket if I get tired of the Kusigarama.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if I should remodel my divine +5 Togakemaru (level 160) to scale both Heart and Skill. I'm using dual swords as secondary so I have over 60 on both stats. Can I remodel the same weapon again for single stat scale if I ever decide to respec my stats?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if I should remodel my divine +5 Togakemaru (level 160) to scale both Heart and Skill. I'm using dual swords as secondary so I have over 60 on both stats. Can I remodel the same weapon again for single stat scale if I ever decide to respec my stats?
I believe you can. After a remodeling, the option to further change the scaling is still there.

I did all the proficiencies this week, and from my point of view (never played Nioh 1) :

- Axe, Odachi, Spear : BOOOOORING, especially the first two.

- Sword (already played as secondary it as it's part of the Yatagarasu set) : Meh. I find it lackluster, especially against Yokai. I really tried to like it though.

- Kusarigama : I hated it with a passion. Something in it irks me.

- Dual Sword seemed good and fun although a bit too cliché for my taste

- Tonfas are incredible. Cool moveset, fluid gameplay, awesome combos.

- Hatchets : my main weapon, wouldn't switch for anything, suits my style perfectly.

- Switchglaive : Is it me or it's by far the best weapon of the game ? Great range, incredible speed for the size, the stance switching forms and combos are hella fun AND powerful, I think they got the most useful parry of the game... Can't throw it like the Hatchets, but nobody's perfect.

Last edited:

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
I hate the Kusarigama as well. I found it hard to tell when it would actually hit the opponent or when it would do the swing wound up.

I have done all the weapon proficiency, now Im just missing the ninjutsu which is a pain in the ass.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I tried getting into the sword again in NG+ and failed miserably. It seems like such a boring weapon, with all of its active skills being unimpressive and I have no idea what to do with them.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, axe and Odachi seem to have the lowest learning curve. I feel they are probably geared towards beginners. Like, Yokai and human alike just melt under high stance R1-R2 combos.

I think I'm going to build my character around the Hatchets and Kusigarama for the DLC, with the switchglaive in my back pocket if I get tired of the Kusigarama.

that's exactly my experience with axe, it was my first weapon playing Nioh 1 first time ever.

speakknf with kusi, that's another weapon that still has not made sensed to me. AIs wreck me with it, but when I use it just feels so tiny

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I never really liked the Kusigarama in 1, but I'm in love now. It's almost a perfect weapon and there's nothing more satisfying than wailing on Zero Ki Yokai with it.

The only problem is that the mid-and high stance light attacks have a bit of start-up and considering how short range they are, you can get stuffed in the face easily. It's not as good against humans as it is against Yokai, either. It does have a nifty parry, though.

It's also interesting how some of the Weapon Mastery dojo missions feel trivially easy and some feel like some of the hardest encounters in the game.

The Odachi one for example. Moonlight snow plus the block+low attack shoulder charge with the hilt just melts Ki. Switchglaive and Axe also wreck humans.

But holy crap, the Kusigarama mission and specially the hatchets mission. Those took me a good while because no matter how much you hit them their ki just doesn't drop.

Last edited:

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the axe Yoki is a pathetic pushover, but when those fuckers got a Kusigarama (or the infamous combo dual sword handgun) they become some terrifying shit I have no shame sniping with my hand canon.

Oct 26, 2017
I believe you can. After a remodeling, the option to further change the scaling is still there.

I did all the proficiencies this week, and from my point of view (never played Nioh 1) :

- Axe, Odachi, Spear : BOOOOORING, especially the first two.

- Sword (already played as secondary it as it's part of the Yatagarasu set) : Meh. I find it lackluster, especially against Yokai. I really tried to like it though.

- Kusarigama : I hated it with a passion. Something in it irks me.

- Dual Sword seemed good and fun although a bit too cliché for my taste

- Tonfas are incredible. Cool moveset, fluid gameplay, awesome combos.

- Hatchets : my main weapon, wouldn't switch for anything, suits my style perfectly.

- Switchglaive : Is it me or it's by far the best weapon of the game ? Great range, incredible speed for the size, the stance switching forms and combos are hella fun AND powerful, I think they got the most useful parry of the game... Can't throw it like the Hatchets, but nobody's perfect.

I've only spent a significant amount of time with Hatchets and Switchglaive since they're both new but I've got the same opinion. Both are so much fun. Hatchets have great skills; Advancing Storm is great and does good damage, Demon Undercut does insane Ki damage (wanna try it with Yumehami and the set bonuses that increase Ki damage), Deadly Spiral is fantastic for applying status effects (good for cheesing human enemies as well). But yeah it seems Switchglaive has it all; damage, range and speed, no cons at all.

In contrast to Nioh 1 I'm glad they separated Samurai Skill Points from Weapon Skill Points, really encourages using all weapons. Kinda sucks you can't max any skill tree though.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I've only spent a significant amount of time with Hatchets and Switchglaive since they're both new but I've got the same opinion. Both are so much fun. Hatchets have great skills; Advancing Storm is great and does good damage, Demon Undercut does insane Ki damage (wanna try it with Yumehami and the set bonuses that increase Ki damage), Deadly Spiral is fantastic for applying status effects (good for cheesing human enemies as well). But yeah it seems Switchglaive has it all; damage, range and speed, no cons at all.

In contrast to Nioh 1 I'm glad they separated Samurai Skill Points from Weapon Skill Points, really encourages using all weapons. Kinda sucks you can't max any skill tree though.

I'd say that the only issue with the Switchglaive is that the damage output / ki expediture ratio is not the best, since in order to maximize damage you need to constantly combo into the different stances and having to find openings to Ki flux in between so sometimes you end up without Ki while your 'combo' meter drains.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Man I found a level 170 soul core on my first run of way of the strong on the second story stage and have plenty of orange inheritables but I can not for the life of me find any regular white inheritable lai strike sword skill. I wanna put that on my weapons and armor but nothing. Farming revanants for hours and seems like nobody uses the sword.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Man I found a level 170 soul core on my first run of way of the strong on the second story stage and have plenty of orange inheritables but I can not for the life of me find any regular white inheritable lai strike sword skill. I wanna put that on my weapons and armor but nothing. Farming revenants for hours and seems like nobody uses the sword.
You want to put Iai strike on all your pieces of armor ? Good luck ! I managed to put Untouched ammo on all of them and I had to forge tons of Divine arms at the blacksmith.

You can easily put it on your weapon with tempering, no ?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I can't even remember how to fight Wairas and Mitsume Yazuras properly anymore. I just always use the nuke....

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
Just sharing my broken magic build that only gets stronger later into the game. Works best with a Switchglave but other weapons you can remodel with magic spec.

Main components
  1. 99 magic
  2. Genmei Onmyo (5 pieces)
  3. 2 magic based defense accessories
  4. Extraction talismans x (3+)
  5. Devigorate talismans x (how many you want)
  6. Life recovery ~16 on chest piece or other piece (amrita absorption)
  7. Rejuvenation (if you want to make this a bigger joke)
That's it. I use Oni-bi cores to cause elemental chaos but that's just me. I also use Shirohami and Usura-hicho for more joke life gain.

Now you can tank the world with the lightest paper thin armor. Use amrita boosts if you'd like, especially on earlier regions. The extraction talismans act as a health factory with life recovery on absorption. Add in rejuvenation if you want to laugh at your health going "up" as you get hit on the hardest enemies in the game.

I can tank bosses with this build and just whap laughing maniacally. It's actually pretty boring but not as boring as broken builds with do 1-2-3 to kill everything with 200k damage. This is more like being Dante and destroying everything with Royal Guard, laughing to the bank.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Mitsume Yazuras are just hit few times and run back -> repeat. I thought they are one of easiest yokais in the game.
Hah I know I wasn't really serious. Just saying that in NG+ I basically nuked 'em all with the last boss core and almost never fought them normally anymore.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Finished the game today. Quite satisfying length,I liked the campaign even more than the previous one. The story and characters was worse though,but who cares,the levels improved imo. Great soundtrack too

The combat got added variety with Soul Cores and the new Yokai Form,I liked the new weapons and mechanics. What prevents this game from being a masterpiece,is the heavy reuse and recycing of enemies,levels and assets. Repetition plays a big part in the game's content unfortunately. And that's something that they did not improve upon in the sequel.

This is Nioh's biggest flaw imo. Still a great game

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
s. What prevents this game from being a masterpiece,is the heavy reuse and recycing of enemies,levels and assets. Repetition plays a big part in the game's content unfortunately. And that's something that they did not improve upon in the sequel.

This is Nioh's biggest flaw imo. Still a great game

Yeah, as much as I love the games, I have to admit I'm feeling kinda burnt out at the moment. I'll pick up the DLC and I'm looking forward to the added content, but I'm kinda forcing myself to get the few trophies left that I'm missing.

This is not a criticism or a real problem with the game; it's just that I've played too much Nioh and this is too similar to the first one.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I have been wondering if it's possible to forge +1 divine gear. Trying to get +1 or higher Sohaya Garb-gear while running through NG+ missions on later regions but no luck whatsoever.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I have been wondering if it's possible to forge +1 divine gear. Trying to get +1 or higher Sohaya Garb-gear while running through NG+ missions on later regions but no luck whatsoever.

It's absolutely possible. It's a random roll, but you can increase the lower and upper bounds of forged divines by spending patronage points with Muramasa.

Oct 25, 2017
I want to max as much as I can before DLC, like getting level 300 and getting all the prestige titles. It's soooo boring at times with the grind

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Finally came back after finishing FF7R!

Took down Shuten Doji in a couple of tries, now on Lady Osakabe. And fuuuuuuuuck this boss. Love to get hit by random shit from off screen. At least the big mountain gimmick boss was fun.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I've been cruising through but have hit the third boss and now regret putting so many points into dex and too few into raw health. I will at least learn the move set inside out before I win, which is a certain kind of fun. If I'm not at full health I die from a single grab.

I also am just abysmal at timing burst counters. It's always way longer a wait than I think, except when it's faster.

And, playing as a lady ninja, I am reminded this is a Team Ninja game. Hopefully there's some ninja gear that actually covers her up head to toe, instead of high cut skirts and side mesh panels?

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Am I realy that of a noob? Finished region 3 and by pure coincidence I saw you can press square to turn on ''active skill''. Its pretty great as almost every move has some kind of upgrade to it.

Why didnt I know this before. Am I the only one?

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I've been cruising through but have hit the third boss and now regret putting so many points into dex and too few into raw health. I will at least learn the move set inside out before I win, which is a certain kind of fun. If I'm not at full health I die from a single grab.

I also am just abysmal at timing burst counters. It's always way longer a wait than I think, except when it's faster.

And, playing as a lady ninja, I am reminded this is a Team Ninja game. Hopefully there's some ninja gear that actually covers her up head to toe, instead of high cut skirts and side mesh panels?

I don't think putting points to raw health helps much in this game, unless you specificially want to go for tanky build with heavy gear. Enemies from normal ones to bosses deal lots of damage anyway so you are just better off practicing dodging and blocking. Ki and ki recovery is much more useful.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What magic buffs are the best to use against strong enemies and bosses? Any particular that you guys Always equip?

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think putting points to raw health helps much in this game, unless you specificially want to go for tanky build with heavy gear. Enemies from normal ones to bosses deal lots of damage anyway so you are just better off practicing dodging and blocking. Ki and ki recovery is much more useful.

Yeah, I favor Ki over health too, but I just need enough health to not get one shot by grabs; even basic mobs are killing me if I botch the burst counter and they get their grab in.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
People thinking sloth was OP in Nioh 1 don't know how OP barrier is in Nioh 2. Does sacred water stack with it too? Cause if it does it would be like infinite ki.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
In my experience, putting points into health is useful if you're going for a heavy armor build with high toughness. I'm running a constitution/heart spear build wearing mostly Warrior of the East, plus Master Archer, and I can withstand quite a bit on WotD. I do agree that investing in ki is more important if you have to choose.

Fangdangle

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England
In my experience, putting points into health is useful if you're going for a heavy armor build with high toughness. I'm running a constitution/heart spear build wearing mostly Warrior of the East, plus Master Archer, and I can withstand quite a bit on WotD. I do agree that investing in ki is more important if you have to choose.
I'm doing my 1st playthrough with this build (Thunderous Spear) really good fun! If anyone wants to party up or needs help, hit me up on PSN Fangle-75. I'm always helping in random encounters (level 119)

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

I'm trying to do a ninja build and didn't want to level health much until NG+ but I'm getting tired of one hit kills... I coming straight off playing NG++ in Nioh as a sword and heavy armor guy so maybe I just need to spend more time acclimating to being low level again.

Oct 25, 2017
Coming from Way of The Demon and Nioh from Nioh1, I have learned to not invest in healthy because enemies ended up one shot you most of the time, even with buffs/debuffs.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Am I realy that of a noob? Finished region 3 and by pure coincidence I saw you can press square to turn on ''active skill''. Its pretty great as almost every move has some kind of upgrade to it.

Why didnt I know this before. Am I the only one?

Don't feel bad lol i actually only find out the bonus had to be activated on the skills later on too, i feel the game does a bad job telling you that.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Can you explain this feature?

Basically you unlock "active abilities" in the skill tree that give you a set bonus on skills, but you have to go on the skill managment screen (the place where you choose/remap what skill are in use) and set each skill with an active ability (using the square button to see the list).

So you can get for example a skill that does more damage base on you stamina points or a skill that uses more ki but does more damage.
Another example - i had my double katana iai move do more damage but with no option for ki pulse after that.