• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
I am running a luck build now and honestly it's kinda disappointing. Not really feeling like I'm getting much more or better loot than before.

i wanna pay respect to all those who drown themselves in the mysterious one night castle to offer up their +attack and iai quickdraw dmg inheritables!

Oh man I still gotta do this, as I main sword. Is this the level people are doing dumps? Best farming spot?

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
I am running a luck build now and honestly it's kinda disappointing. Not really feeling like I'm getting much more or better loot than before.

Oh man I still gotta do this, as I main sword. Is this the level people are doing dumps? Best farming spot?

I donned the child of the sun armour for the luck bonuses when I started NG+ and haven't switched it out, but I've had a similar experience as you. Drops are frequent but I'm mostly seeing yellows (aside from boss loot), and not many with inheritables.

I thought I'd come across a yasakani magatama sooner than most, but ultimately I ended up farming for it in the fourth region's Abduction mission and just got it today. Having said that, it only took me 3 attempts, which seems to be much better than the average.

And I'm not sure about the best farming spot, but I didn't find many graves in the mysterious castle mission. What I usually do at the start of any mission is look around for red graves near the first shrine - those tend to have inheritables equipped, especially revenants that are missing pieces of equipment because it means they're only wearing the "good stuff".

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Guardian spirit attacks are pitifully weak compared to the first game. I know it was pretty strong before, but I think they downgraded it a bit too much

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Searching for all the hotbaths I missed is really a chore. There is really no way of knowing which ones you already bathed ?

Gizmo

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
Just got to the beginning of region 5. I love going to into past levels and becoming a visitor. I am doing a ninja build and poison wipes out most big enemies. The only enemy that consistently destroys me are the Tengu.

Apr 3, 2018
Okay. I finally booted up my copy tonight and spent a few hours getting waxed in the first area.

I didn't play Nioh 1so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I've hit a wall against thmonkey enemy with a spear (in this corrupted area with a few Gaki proceeding it).

Not sure how to beat this thing. My stamina regen is slowed, but even beyond that, I'm not sure where to pump stats or how to build a better character.

Guess the easy answer is to just git good? I don't remember struggling this much, this early in Bloodborne.

edited for spelling

Last edited:

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished it, overall i probably prefer it to the first game. I really like the inclusion of the burst counters and yokai moves.

It was great how they brought it back from a prequel to a sequel at the end, it made for a nice conclusion.

So the dlc gotta be in that flashback we got at the end right? Seems like we going to a past era, should be interesting.

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
Okay. I finally booted up my copy tonight and spent a few hours getting waxed in the first area.

I didn't play Nioh 1so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I've hit a wall against those monkey enemy with a spear (in this corrupted area with a few Gaki proceeding it).

Not sure how to beat this thing. My stamina regen is slowed, but even beyond that, I'm not sure where to pump stats or how to build a better character.

Guess the easy answer is to just git good? I don't remember struggling this much, this early in Bloodborne.

First choose a weapon and then you want to focus your skill points on the stat that is for that weapon, i.e. Strength for Odachi. Every few levels put a point into something you feel is lagging behind; ki recovery, life, stamina for equipment weight. Do you want to use some cool Ninja skills? Then you also want some points in Dexterity. Latter in the game ask if you are going to use more heavy or light armor?

If you feel you made a mistake, you will unlock a consumable to reset your stats.

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't play Nioh 1so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I've hit a wall against thmonkey enemy with a spear (in this corrupted area with a few Gaki proceeding it).

edited for spelling

First play through it's gonna be tough because you are severely under leveled. However, the game is really well designed, so even when things are tough it's intentional to teach you about the game mechanics. Let me break it down a little bit

- this is a loot based game. It's about killing enemies and finding better gears. That's how you increase offense and defense.
- of course level matters too, in essence you think about attack (varies by weapons), ki or ki recovery, how heavy your armors are and how much you can handle (for now, don't go above 70% ish; the lighter the armor you move faster but your defense is lower; the heavier the armor the higher is defense, the you move slower; pay attention to the stats on your armor, if they are greyed out, look at the bottom of the screen to see stat requirements to unlock those stats
- the dark realm where your stamina regeneration is severely gimped. That's a hint that you want to use more of yokai skills (your anima actually regenerates faster in dark realm) than your regular attacks. Eventually you can level up your character where the ki regen is less severe
- do all you can to NOT fight a crowd. Draw them one by one by arrows and bullets. Projectile weapons are really game, usually helps you kill enemies
- when in doubt, magic and ninjitsu and axe kill almost everything.
- first play through it's really about just learning the mechanics of the game. It's a lot so enjoy. The game is very forgiving in that you can always reset your character stats. So don't worry about making a mistake. An amazing thing about Nioh is almost anything works. So it's about learning and finding your style.

Apr 3, 2018
First play through it's gonna be tough because you are severely under leveled. However, the game is really well designed, so even when things are tough it's intentional to teach you about the game mechanics. Let me break it down a little bit

- this is a loot based game. It's about killing enemies and finding better gears. That's how you increase offense and defense.
- of course level matters too, in essence you think about attack (varies by weapons), ki or ki recovery, how heavy your armors are and how much you can handle (for now, don't go above 70% ish; the lighter the armor you move faster but your defense is lower; the heavier the armor the higher is defense, the you move slower; pay attention to the stats on your armor, if they are greyed out, look at the bottom of the screen to see stat requirements to unlock those stats
- the dark realm where your stamina regeneration is severely gimped. That's a hint that you want to use more of yokai skills (your anima actually regenerates faster in dark realm) than your regular attacks. Eventually you can level up your character where the ki regen is less severe
- do all you can to NOT fight a crowd. Draw them one by one by arrows and bullets. Projectile weapons are really game, usually helps you kill enemies
- when in doubt, magic and ninjitsu and axe kill almost everything.
- first play through it's really about just learning the mechanics of the game. It's a lot so enjoy. The game is very forgiving in that you can always reset your character stats. So don't worry about making a mistake. An amazing thing about Nioh is almost anything works. So it's about learning and finding your style.

Thanks for the help.

I'm guessing I need to rely on the burst counter thing (R2 + circle) for the dark realm then? Balls. I'd rather roll around and attack.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the help.

I'm guessing I need to rely on the burst counter thing (R2 + circle) for the dark realm then? Balls. I'd rather roll around and attack.
If you're good at dodging, you can. I rarely burst counter against regular enemies, I mostly only use it against bosses.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Thanks for the help.

The Burst counter is useful inside and outside the dark realm. It allows you to 'punish' burst attacks performed by enemies (telegraphed by a red flash). If successful it will either connect and deal severe Ki damage to the enemy, or it will allow you to dodge and then hit them in their recovery, depending on your guardian spirit.

Mind you, you don't have to use Burst Counters; they are a tool in your arsenal that makes use of the Anima Meter. Some bosses, however, are going to be very difficult without burst counters, since they are kind of balanced around the fact that you'll be countering them to reduce their Ki.

Also, whenever you find yourself in the Dark Realm, you can eliminate it by killing the Yokai that's causing it. You can tell which Yokai it is because it will leave a trail of red flowers as it moves around. Once you kill it, that Dark Realm instance will be gone for good and the Yokai enemies in there will not respawn after you kill them. And you'll be able to open the chests that were previously sealed. Sometimes there are shrines in the dark realm as well, and they won't be usable until you purify it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the help.

join the fun and enjoy this game. Others have already explained burst counter but I will just share my experience here.

When I played this game initially the enemy was hurting me left and right. They were overwhelming. I saw red lights flashing left and right and dying in one hit

and like I mentioned before, while this seemed like a bigWTF moment, the game is actually saying "look, use me, use burst counter!"

so what happened was I started trying it, and to be honest the timing doesn't have to be exact, and what would happen if I used burst counter relatively well was 1) enemy got staggered, 2) that left enemy open for attack (and you are not losing life and ki), and 3....I got anima back and more!

so in this game the enemy isn't just aggressive for the sake of hard, the game gives you tools to turn defense into offense, attack into obliteration. Now, there are different types of red attacks (even within the same type of enemy) that makes the timing thing tricky. But that's part of the fun. And you can always dodge and nope your way out of it. I do it.

for now, since you are new toNioh, I say it's just about trying on new armors and weapons that boost your defense and offense, level up your character, and learn how to fight bosses - some are weak to certain elemental attacks, some its about timing, some its burst counter, some its all of them. Learn as you and enjoy :)

Starting from the first game, I went for investing in magic and axe, dual swords, sword, Odachi, Tonfa, and now ninjitsu. You mix as you go, and you play around with stats and builds - that's the essence of this game

Miggy

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really hope the DLC comes out soon. There is nothing left for me to do after getting the Platinum.

Oct 26, 2017
Just want to say I love this game, didn't play at launch because I wanted to replay the first game and man, Nioh 2 is everything a sequel should be, Burst Counter and Yokai Abilities/Soul Cores really change things up, Dark Realm is a great addition too. Put like 500 hours in the first game and another 80 recently and I don't feel burnt out at all. I do wish it was visually a bit more distinct from the first game, but that's just nitpicking, I was more invested in the story this time around as well, plus my character looks great in cutscenes.

Just started Dream of the Strong, and already got a ton of Divine equipment just from killing revenants. Used Sohaya Garb most of the game cause I got the smithing text early on and I just got the Divine version of it, so I guess I'll keep using it haha. Got Flying Kato's set as well so I guess it's finally time to put together/try out actual builds.

Did stuff get nerfed already? Did I miss out on any OP stuff?

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Double checking - I got a blue drop that's level 169. I can't soul match a green to get it 169, right?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Tengen Kujaku is so much better than the other guardian spirits it's not even funny. It has everything. Best damage buff, anima bonus on ranged hit AND elemental, extended elemental weapon, enemy/treasure/amrita/kodama sensor, huge attunement limit (24)...

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Word. This game can be cruel. I've gotten no green drops above 160.

Have you gotten (+1) divines? You'll rarely (if ever) get any green drops above 160, but the progression continues with the + values. Even a much lower level green (say a 125(+1)) will bring a 160 up to 160+1. You can then soul match to (+1) items to create a (+2), etc.

Revenants will never ever drop + divines, if you were trying to get them from them.

If you boost your Patronage with the blacksmith you can raise the lower bound on forged gear to increase the chance of getting +1 items, which then you can Soul Match to bring your 160s up.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Have you gotten (+1) divines? You'll rarely (if ever) get any green drops above 160, but the progression continues with the + values. Even a much lower level green (say a 125(+1)) will bring a 160 up to 160+1.

Revenants will never ever drop + divines, if you were trying to get them from there.

If you boost your Patronage with the blacksmith you can raise the lower bound on forged gear to increase the chance of getting +1 items, which then you can Soul Match to bring your 160s up.
Most definitely. I think I see +4s drop, definitely +3s. Most of my stuff is +5 and above. But I'm assuming you can get 170s and plus those out too. I definitely want that for my weapons.

Oct 25, 2017
Most definitely. I think I see +4s drop, definitely +3s. Most of my stuff is +5 and above. But I'm assuming you can get 170s and plus those out too. I definitely want that for my weapons.

Yeah 170 is rare. I been playing non stop since launch and I only have one from Soul Core (which some that's how you get a 170 weapon, by fusing it with a weapon)

I don't know if you played Nioh 1.Every build we are doing right now will kinda go out of the window one the new DLC and difficult hits, that's when you will start getting the next level of gears: 165, 170, 200, etc. that's how it was in Nioh 1 - to level up sometimes it's to finish one difficulty as soon as you can

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah 170 is rare. I been playing non stop since launch and I only have one from Soul Core (which some that's how you get a 170 weapon, by fusing it with a weapon)

I don't know if you played Nioh 1.Every build we are doing right now will kinda go out of the window one the new DLC and difficult hits, that's when you will start getting the next level of gears: 165, 170, 200, etc. that's how it was in Nioh 1 - to level up sometimes it's to finish one difficulty as soon as you can
Played 1 after all the DLC dropped. And yeah I figured it would go that way. I'm mainly farming for fun/boredom, but it'd be nice if a 170 drop would be green for me for once lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Played 1 after all the DLC dropped. And yeah I figured it would go that way. I'm mainly farming for fun/boredom, but it'd be nice if a 170 drop would be green for me for once lol.

man me too. I been upping my weapon to +8, and I was like "shoot if I get a 170 I have to start over..."

I been farming attack inheritable and orange inheritables to prepare for DLC.

i also have been farming prestige points...I wanted to see how high Ninjitsu goes and it's not boring yet for me!

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
man me too. I been upping my weapon to +8, and I was like "shoot if I get a 170 I have to start over..."

I been farming attack inheritable and orange inheritables to prepare for DLC.

i also have been farming prestige points...I wanted to see how high Ninjitsu goes and it's not boring yet for me!
As long as you have a green weapon, you can upgrade it to 170 if you happen to loot one.

Oct 25, 2017
As long as you have a green weapon, you can upgrade it to 170 if you happen to loot one.

i don't remember exactly, but I think when I upgrade to a 170 my pluses would be reset. Thats my concern. My concern is right now I have a 160 (+8) weapon, and if/when I get 170 it would go back to 170(+1). Soooo much money and grind and farming

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
i don't remember exactly, but I think when I upgrade to a 170 my pluses would be reset. Thats my concern. My concern is right now I have a 160 (+8) weapon, and if/when I get 170 it would go back to 170(+1). Soooo much money and grind and farming
NO ! If you got your 160(+8) and you upgrade it using a 170 (any number or none at all), it will be 170(+8). The only way the numbers can go is up.

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
Once you hit NG+ are you all mostly Dismantling your excess loot or Selling? I found my money can evaporate when I am tempering and soul matching. I figure since I like the divine fragments, I would dismantle green gear and sell everything else -- how does that sound?

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Once you hit NG+ are you all mostly Dismantling your excess loot or Selling? I found my money can evaporate when I am tempering and soul matching. I figure since I like the divine fragments, I would dismantle green gear and sell everything else -- how does that sound?

I dismantle green and purple gear I don't need. Others I sell.. though then again I have so many purple materials already I might as well sell purple gear too.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Dont waste your money soul matching bro. Its a tougher path, but try to farm for the smithing text of whatever it is you need. Its a permanent solution to keeping the weapon you want plus you can ALWAYS forge it to be exactly your level or higher for cheap when you feel its time for it to be stronger (I'd say every 5 to 10 levels)

Only thing you'd have to spend coin on is tempering it to get the stats you want. Soul matching PLUS tempering will DEFINITELY send you to the poor house pretty quick

What I usually do, is after one mission I dissassemble everything, and when I do another mission I sell everything...so every other mission im either dissassembling or selling. I know some will say to just let it stock up but sometimes you can probably let that get the best of you and then you be in a mission and all a sudden your inventory is full. Even worse when theres a bunch of drops you actually WANT and gotta stop to unload useless shit to pick it up

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Dont waste your money soul matching bro. Its a tougher path, but try to farm for the smithing text of whatever it is you need. Its a permanent solution to keeping the weapon you want plus you can ALWAYS forge it to be exactly your level or higher for cheap when you feel its time for it to be stronger (I'd say every 5 to 10 levels)

Only thing you'd have to spend coin on is tempering it to get the stats you want. Soul matching PLUS tempering will DEFINITELY send you to the poor house pretty quick

What I usually do, is after one mission I dissassemble everything, and when I do another mission I sell everything...so every other mission im either dissassembling or selling. I know some will say to just let it stock up but sometimes you can probably let that get the best of you and then you be in a mission and all a sudden your inventory is full. Even worse when theres a bunch of drops you actually WANT and gotta stop to unload useless shit to pick it up

Soul Matching becomes essential once you reach divines, unfortunately. Because you have to smash together greens to get those higher +values. And if you start getting the inheritables and stars you like, you'll want to keep those. I agree that it is mostly unnecessary before that.

Fortunately, soul matching divines is much cheaper, and you get a hefty discount if you soul match gear of the same type.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Soul Matching becomes essential once you reach divines, unfortunately. Because you have to smash together greens to get those higher +values. And if you start getting the inheritables and stars you like, you'll want to keep those. I agree that it is mostly unnecessary before that.

Fortunately, soul matching divines is much cheaper, and you get a hefty discount if you soul match gear of the same type.
I made the mistake of soul matching a lot during early/mid game...even dumping points into the patronage points for it. Wish I could get those points back

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Noema is correct. Soul matching isn't all that good in NG, but in NG+ it's basically the best way to ugprade your gear, since you are unlikely to often find gear a) that match what you want (say, you want a water sword or a lightning spear or a purity kusarigama etc. with decent non-temperable passives) b) that are diviine and c) with significant + values.

So, the moment you got a good divine weapon, remodel and temper it, and then make its + values go up with combining it with other + loot you can afford to consume. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with a regular, say, +1 divine for a long time until you just "find" something better.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Ever since I started a NG+...I've noticed that in a lot of stages at the beginning near the shrine, there's a lot of revenant graves. Usually of the same clan. What's going on? Surely these people that are lvl 160+ can't be just getting bested by lowly Gaki and Dwellers like that??

And speaking of clans...if you defeat revenants of a rival clan color, (me being a Blue clan fighting a Red clan) that makes the gauge in Clan Battles tip in your favor, correct? Alternatively, if you fight revenants of the same color as your territory(my Blue clan defeating another Blue clan revenant), will that actually HURT the Clan Battle gauge? I ask this cause I notice that when I defeat an opposing clan color, I tend to get more Glory than when I beat a revenant that has the same clan color as me

Last edited:
OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Ever since I started a NG+...I've noticed that in a lot of stages at the beginning near the shrine, there's a lot of revenant graves. Usually of the same clan. What's going on? Surely these people that are lvl 160+ can't be just getting bested by lowly Gaki and Dwellers like that??

They are donating their gear for other players to farm. It's a time honored Nioh tradition. Usually they'll just wear one or two pieces to guarantee that the ones with the best stats or inheritables drop.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
They are donating their gear for other players to farm. It's a time honored Nioh tradition. Usually they'll just wear one or two pieces to warranty that the ones with the best stats or inheritables drop.
Oh well how nice of people to do that. What exactly is the main things people want/look for stats wise..so that I may offer assistance

Oct 26, 2017

There are starred stats in Nioh 2 as well? I gotta stop farming revenants then.