• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
How do I unlock Afterglow in NG+? I'm at like, 176 mission completion rate (about 75% of the bar I'd say) but still nothing. All story missions done, a lot of side ones too. This is a bit annoying, IMO only story missions should be required...

Edit: the threshold appears to be 179. It unlocked for me at that point.

Last edited:

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Turns out the threshold was 179.

NG+ all done. So much easier than NG, no doubt in large part to the last boss soul core that's just completely broken.

Now I feel hollow. The horrible wait for the DLC begins and/or Elden Ring....
If you look closely you can see the threshold in the bar for each zone.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished "The high spirited demon" in NG+, loved it. I forgot how great the music was in this stage. I hear lot of complaints about this sequence, why is that ?

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Lady Osakabe is just mauling me. Maybe it's because I haven't played in three days or maybe it's the bullshit behind my back spam she does.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Farming for a smithing text on the Two Faces of Hospitality mission thinking I gotta clear the bridge every time with that sexy but useless cunt Honzo until I thought "what if that door is just unlocked". Like, am obstacle like that, surely the game made it mandatory. Surely I couldn't just run past it and open the door and farm at a much more efficient rate.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Farming for a smithing text on the Two Faces of Hospitality mission thinking I gotta clear the bridge every time with that sexy but useless cunt Honzo until I thought "what if that door is just unlocked". Like, am obstacle like that, surely the game made it mandatory. Surely I couldn't just run past it and open the door and farm at a much more efficient rate.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
If you're just trying to farm a boss you can reset the game after you kill him and come back at the shrine just before that fight. If you don't get what you want that is.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you're just trying to farm a boss you can reset the game after you kill him and come back at the shrine just before that fight. If you don't get what you want that is.

Seems like that would take longer than just running through it. It's a short ass mission as is, now that I realized I didn't have to fight on the bridge like a goober.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Nioh 2 is weird. It's probably the most punishing of the Souls games, it's very easy to get one shot or obliterated by mistakes, but it's also the easiest to cheese of the Souls games -- due to stuff like Yokai abilities and the loot system. So it's simultaneously super punishing but also very cheesable to get past any challenge.

Yeah, that's this game's greatest strength but also perhaps its biggest weakness. The possibilities it gives you to create builds are...staggering. Mind-melting. That gives the game a lot of replayability and also makes it very unique. It's probably a contender for best combat system in any action game, period and on top of that it swims in complexity and systems at every level. But the downside of that is that it is possible to become so ridiculously powerful on so many fronts that the combat system and difficulty can get watered down into triviality.

That's the opposite of something like Sekiro, which sometimes I suspect was created almost as a response to Nioh in some way, because it's a game that completely strips any form of customizability in order to strive for the most tightly tuned gameplay possible. So Sekiro has a very consistent difficulty curve because the designers always know what the upper bound of character progression at every point in the game is, but replayability suffers as a result.

In Nioh 1, like I suspect many others, I experienced steep difficulty at the beginning, partly because of the normal process of learning a complex game, but also because how relatively underpowered your character is at the beginning. But because of the severe stats inflation, the second part of the game was trivially easy and therefore, unmemorable.

I wanted to avoid that in Nioh 2 to so I decided to cap my character's level at 50 until I finished the game, and I think that helped my enjoyment of the game immensely. At times it was supremely difficult (Hi Ryomen Sukuna who killed me 78 times; and I lost count of how many times I got one-shotted by fucking Skeleton Warriors) but it also forced me to really learn every boss inside out. It was very gratifying and it makes me wonder what this game would look like if it had a more restrained approach towards player builds and relied more in the player mastering its sublime mechanics.

While grinding for the weapon mastery trophies, it's hard to overstate how complex, satisfying and rewarding this game is to play. Each weapon is a world of its own and the skill tree and available moves for each weapon is probably 2x of what you find in entire other games; It's an endless well of options and play styles and I think that a lot of players simply don't delve deep enough into mastering a weapon and stuff like Ki Flux simply because it's easier to build a character that can one shot everything. Dphex mentioned that he thought that this game was hard to learn but easy to master, and I respectfully disagree; this game, at least mechanically, is very hard to master. Just look at what XHL Gladiator or GwyndolinCinder can do with it; I certainly can't do that and I have played almost 300 hours total of this game. It's easy to break the game and overpower it, but the skill ceiling, the upper bound of what the player can do as he (and not the player character) becomes better is super high, probably second only to stuff like fighting games.

Last edited:

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Is the matchmaking borked or am I just not having any luck? Currently at Mission 6 at the 2nd shrine and tried to summon visitors for half an hour yesterday, but to no avail.

pbatty89

Banned
Mar 11, 2020
Anyone able to help me on mission 18 - kashin koji boss. been trying for a few days and just want to get it finished now. Only one i have struggled with all game. The dark realm phase is way too OP with the clones. Tried summoning a visitor but no one joins. Phil_Batty89

Last edited:

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone able to help me on mission 18 - kashin koji boss. been trying for a few days and just want to get it finished now. Only one i have struggled with all game. The dark realm phase is way too OP with the clones. Tried summoning a visitor but no one joins. Phil_Batty89

Here's a good tip that helped me immensely: He can use the multiple clone-tech only in dark realm and I've seen him only use it when his health is 50% or less. So don't lower his health to less than 50% during dark realm and instead wait for dark realm to go out.

EDIT: Congrats on beating him!

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Summoning has barely worked for me in almost 100 hours of play.

I usually give up and end up going solo or just do it via Expedition

Today I had to wait again for an eternity (well actually probably 20 minutes) until some joined my game. Made my way through half the level before then.

The recent patches seems to have killed it. It was just fine before they started rolling out patches.

Oh, so they ruined it. Just when I am about to get back into the game. What is strange is that if someone miraculously joins, a second visitor (if you offered two ochoko cups) shows up almost immediately after. So sometimes it works perfectly, other times not at all.

pbatty89

Banned
Mar 11, 2020
Upon finishing the game i have to say i absolutely loved it but that was just down to the combat. I finished the first one and thought they needed to add more enemies and better levels. Going into this i thought, right its the sequel they will have learnt from the previous game and added lots more enemy types. I have to say this one is even worse. I dont think they added any new enemy types from the first game and also re-used bosses from the first game. If the combat wasnt so satisfying i dont think i could have completed this. Did anyone also find the games bosses incredibly easy. I think i killed all of them first or second time, other than the one on mission 18. I really did struggle with that one.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Um, there are multiple new enemies. I have a number of complaints about the game but they definitely added a lot more base type enemies in. The only one they removed were those awful statue guys, which I can't say is a huge loss.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the game and wanted to show my appreciation for what they did with the story, that last chapter epilogue was perfect
finishing the prequel after the end of the 1st and finally catching Maria after the dlc in 1, I loved that. I hope there is a Nioh 3 with Hide and William

Now to go to ng+ and get my ass kicked by unfair dual boss fights if 1 is any indication ^^

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Definitely Yatsu-no-Kami, along with something to increase Poison Accumulation, like the Toxic Slime Soul Core. With enough gear, you'll pretty much poison anything that isn't 100% resistant to poison with a single shuriken.
I figured Yatsu would be suggested. Flying Kato a good set?

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys, Girls

Need help!

I'm at lvl ~85 and still in region 3 but havnt had any real sensation of power. I always keep struggling and looking for some great sets and weapons (no luck). Its like Im always behind on things.

Ive fought so many revenants and bosses but nothing. (Build is Heart 32+Skill 16+Strenght 23)

Any tips for the first playtrough?
-which set?
-what weapon?
-what talisman?

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guys, Girls

Need help!

I'm at lvl ~85 and still in region 3 but havnt had any real sensation of power. I always keep struggling and looking for some great sets and weapons (no luck). Its like Im always behind on things.

Ive fought so many revenants and bosses but nothing. (Build is Heart 32+Skill 16+Strenght 23)

Any tips for the first playtrough?
-which set?
-what weapon?
-what talisman?

My damage really spiked once I started to use a tail builds that have a purpose in mind, meaning not just stacking stats. I used tonfa and starred to use poisons and standing poison damage. It was insane how much more damage I was doing.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My damage really spiked once I started to use a tail builds that have a purpose in mind, meaning not just stacking stats. I used tonfa and starred to use poisons and standing poison damage. It was insane how much more damage I was doing.
Its realy abracadabra to me. Care to explain it?
Lets say I like to fight with a sword or odachi. What to do?

Edit: I know its not that simple to anwser :)

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017

In all honesty, full actual builds will only begin to reach their potential near endgame. Anything before that simply doesn't have the core building blocks available.

However, it is trivial to lean on a ninjutsu-based build that does a crapton of burst damage even in early game.

Some time past the mid-game, you can get enough attack power and mats to make either a DPS weapon build or an elemental-stacking build.

DPS weapon builds will tend to lean on picking poison or paralysis, then stack modifiers that add more melee damage to enemies that are poisoned/paralyzed. Elemental-stacking is sort of the same, but pick one of the elements to focus on (or do 2, and apply Discord/Confusion). Damage skyrockets at that point. Am personally using a ninjutsu build base that I'm slowly converting to poison.

Dual Swords (highest power I have available)
- Imbue Poison
- Poison accumulation+
- Melee damage to poisoned enemies+

Fuma Ninja armor set (to boost shuriken and kunai damage, for Storm kunai and other ranged attacks)

Accessories x2
- Poison accumulation+
- Melee damage to poisoned enemies+
- Shuriken/Kunai damage+

I used Weakness talisman on a boss, then unload with Shuriken/Kunai and yokai skills, then poison them with attacks, and once they are, my melee damage goes through the roof. Fun times.

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
I received the game recently and I think I want to try the switchglaive. Any good early to mid-game build suggestions?

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
You don't really run builds at that point. Choose the level of armour weight you feel comfortable with and just use the best items you can get for those slots. I occasionally ran sets for a while that had some healing components to them, but generally just keep gear level up to date and use your most damaging weapon whilst you level up.

stn

Oct 28, 2017

First, pick your main weapon. Next, invest in your core stat as much as possible based on the weapon you want to build around. After that, you'll want to wear an armor that benefits your weapon type (ex. if using a katana/sword, you could use the master swordsman set). Once you do all this, you'll want to combine gear in order to stack and multiply damage. As an example, I was running a poison spear build my first time through the game, so I tempered my accessories to add damage to poisoned enemies, and I used a spear that was always imbued with poison. I also used the snake boss yokai ability since it damages poisoned enemies more.

You can beat the game without worrying too much about your build, but there might be some parts where you struggle (this was the case for me until I actually worked on my build, then it became easy).

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How do use the Axe to gain buffs? I saw someone on YouTube holding the Axe up and getting two (free) buffs/magic?

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
What's a good supplement to the Ninjutsu build? I'm using dual swords and I know I should be using kusarigama but I don't really like its gameplay that much. What other weapon could I use with the build along with my dual swords that won't split my level up points up so badly to where I have to put points on all these extra stats?

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
Another good pointer to tonfas is the ki damage they do that will allow you to set up ninjustu burst damage with feathers.

I do more damage with feathers rather than the stab finishers.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Man this Ninjutsu build is killing me. My projectiles strong as shit, but I'm hella squishy. This my first time using such a build so I guess I gotta deprogram what I'm accustomed to (heavy armor, using sword and spear)

How the hell do you deal with areas populated by Yokai? Since these mothafuckas don't flinch I don't wanna just use up my stock throwing shit at them...BUT at the same time I like to "clean my plate after I eat" meaning that in most stages I try to kill everything I see to maximize gaining Amrita and item/equip drops. I don't want to just run past...these bastards gone have to feel my blade

Any fellow primary Ninjutsu build users can provide me with advice?

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Man this Ninjutsu build is killing me. My projectiles strong as shit, but I'm hella squishy. This my first time using such a build so I guess I gotta deprogram what I'm accustomed to (heavy armor, using sword and spear)

How the hell do you deal with areas populated by Yokai? Since these mothafuckas don't flinch I don't wanna just use up my stock throwing shit at them...BUT at the same time I like to "clean my plate after I eat" meaning that in most stages I try to kill everything I see to maximize gaining Amrita and item/equip drops. I don't want to just run past...these bastards gone have to feel my blade

Any fellow primary Ninjutsu build users can provide me with advice?

The squishiness takes some time to get used to, that's for sure. I played with the Fuma set for the vast majority of the game because I wanted A agility plus all the bonuses and everything would one or two shot me. Nioh 1 with a tank Odachi / Axe build was much easier in comparison since you can just spin to win. But a light set is more challenging. There's no way around it. You will probably die a lot. You have to make the best out of your strengths: dodging takes less ki, you dodge super far and you get more i-frames (I think) and of course your Ki regens super fast.

I had a complete shortcut panel devoted to poisoning enemies: Poison Shurikens, Galnuth Broth, Poison Bombs and Poison Arrows. That meant that I always had a way of keeping my opponents poisoned until I found the next shrine. Also, devigorate talisman, protection talisman and power pills help a ton. Devigorate talisman is probably your best tool as a low defense character. It's the difference between getting one shot by a Yoki on a counterhit and actually surviving.

For dealing with Yokai, depending on the weapon, you can drain their Ki super fast if you use Purification Talisman, and a blessed weapon. Learn to find all the weakspots so you can target them and drain their ki in a couple of hits. Play it very safe, no fancy combos. Once they reach a zero Ki state, wail on them. Ideally they'd be poisoned and blessed, and their health bars just melt (I had 80% damage bonus on poisoned enemies). If I was going to face something scary, I'd try to pull it with a poison arrow, then devigorate and maybe throw some caltrops on the ground.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
How do use the Axe to gain buffs? I saw someone on YouTube holding the Axe up and getting two (free) buffs/magic?
The axe skill tree has a few of these buffs, I find Rage (super strength) and The Adamantine (super defence) to be the most useful. Unlock and place them on different stances, and hold down R1+O to use one.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
The squishiness takes some time to get used to, that's for sure. I played with the Fuma set for the vast majority of the game because I wanted A agility plus all the bonuses and everything would one or two shot me. Nioh 1 with a tank Odachi / Axe build was much easier in comparison since you can just spin to win. But a light set is more challenging. There's no way around it. You will probably die a lot. You have to make the best out of your strengths: dodging takes less ki, you dodge super far and you get more i-frames (I think) and of course your Ki regens super fast.

I had a complete shortcut panel devoted to poisoning enemies: Poison Shurikens, Galnuth Broth, Poison Bombs and Poison Arrows. That meant that I always had a way of keeping my opponents poisoned until I found the next shrine. Also, devigorate talisman, protection talisman and power pills help a ton. Devigorate talisman is probably your best tool as a low defense character. It's the difference between getting one shot by a Yoki on a counterhit and actually surviving.

For dealing with Yokai, depending on the weapon, you can drain their Ki super fast if you use Purification Talisman, and a blessed weapon. Learn to find all the weakspots so you can target them and drain their ki in a couple of hits. Play it very safe, no fancy combos. Once they reach a zero Ki state, wail on them. Ideally they'd be poisoned and blessed, and their health bars just melt (I had 80% damage bonus on poisoned enemies). If I was going to face something scary, I'd try to pull it with a poison arrow, then devigorate and maybe throw some caltrops on the ground.
Sounds like a lot of item management. Damn. Oh well....not like I don't mind a challenge already

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe i waited until the last part of the game to try this "spinning top" soul power the cat lady gave me, that thing is so broken it destroys enemies.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Sounds like a lot of item management. Damn. Oh well....not like I don't mind a challenge already

Yeah, that's Ninjitsu / Onmyo for ya! It becomes second nature with time and with a poison build, it's really fun just to wreck everything once the pieces fall into place.

Unfortunately changing shortcut tiles in this game is harder than Nioh 1,since you need to hold the Ki pulse button, so it's basically like changing séances. It does become second nature eventually.