• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
I think my recommendation is jump alongside the releases. I tried the wait for it all strat for nioh 1 and what happened is I never touched the dlc cause when i tried to get back into the game 9 months + later I just forgot all of the controls + the content felt super hard as well. Also missing out on the community being active during those releases for multiplayer things sucked too.
I think checking into nioh 2 every few weeks and maybe doing mini goals up to the dlc like some titles or something makes it more likely to keep up with it but of course that's a pretty subjective thing. I also got the deluxe edition this time so I feel a little bit obligated to check them out.
for Nioh i dived in for every release. Felt like i had to relearn every time because i keep pressing the wrong buttons in the first few hours with every busy action game. It's not too bad, maybe even good because it keeps you active. Probably depends on how hype they will get you with their trailers i guess. I hope they can fire up the story.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest thing about glaive it's probably better than tonfa even in keeping enemies staggered. Saying probably cause I'm not that familiar with tonfa but from my little experimenting tonfa depletes Ki faster while glaive has an easier time to keep a long combo chain and maximize stagger hits.

Although I feel tonfa is mostly worse on keeping the combo going cause the tracking on them is a bit finnicky.

Last edited:

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
So if I have gone with essentially a heavy build with Odachi and Axe, I am seeing that the proficiency towards Onmyo and Ninja are still half way towards the adept Dojo missions for the next set of skills I can get. Am I sort of shit out of luck for that? Is this why I saw a lot of people starting with magic and ninja builds first?

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
So I finished the game a few days ago. I did an early take in this OT many pages ago after a few regions but I'm just going to write some things to sum my experience up.

The good
  1. Soul cores and yokai abilities. Overall these are good additions and add diversity to gameplay. Soul bursts are a bit of a joke though with brute spirits and being able to tank through near chip damage.
  2. Yokai realms are pretty cool. Sometimes KI slow seems like a lame artificial difficulty. But there is definitely some fun hunting down the "cause" of the yokai spread and grabbing soul cores.
  3. Combat is top notch as always with Nioh so not a ton to discuss. Switchglave is amazing and let me play Bloodborne/Nioh style. Which is boss.
  4. Enemies are solid. More variety even if there is a decent amount of re-use.
  5. Bosses are overall not bad. Large Bayonetta style bosses I still find boring and you just find the "trick." But I can't complain too much. Some recycling of course and some losers here. Nioh 1 with the DLC has better bosses.
  6. Little things like tea set and the hut are fun, quick wins.

The bad
  1. Yokai form can be thrown out and just used as a low life save; if that. It's more efficient to use omni and just crank damage with boosts. I'm sure there are some builds out there that benefit but I don't see the point.
  2. Too many amrita deposit lures and enemy ambushes. Seemed even worse than Nioh 1 and that shit gets old.
  3. The new upgrade system is a bit more fun FFX style but it's mostly a reshuffle of Nioh 1.
  4. Combat variety just like Nioh 1 is for the explorer, which I just don't care to really do. Mid-stance whacking with omni still dominates the world.

The ugly
  1. The framerate sucks. I'm on a base PS4 and maybe a pro is a bit better. But we need new consoles. Yokai realms with lots of effects can slideshow. Hopefully Nioh 2 comes to PC so I can wash away the taste of crappy frames.
  2. There are less water deaths but why do they still exist! Let me swim already ffs. At least there are near none water levels.

Nioh 1 or Nioh 2
  • Nioh 2. More variety, more fun, Ninja Gaiden 2 minus watering down the formula too much like NG2 in some opinions did. Not much more to say except I think it is not that much different but there are more positives than negatives.

Random thoughts
  1. Was devigorate this broken in Nioh 1? I don't recall as much. You can totally crush almost everyone including bosses with this debuff. With some bosses and decent light armor, I could just smack away getting tiny chip damage in return which is easily offset with rejuvenation. Joke tier fights were a result of this.
  2. Sloth and weakness still crush souls. But devigorate mentioned above is even a higher champ. All 3 together is clown shoes.
  3. You can abuse anima oni-bi yokai abilities to cause easy confusion (dark energy state with multiple elements) on enemies with easy recharge, especially using bursts. This setup takes away yokai ability slots but is super powerful. Most larger enemies can be crushed in seconds this way and you use no omni.
EDIT:
I have a magic build so maybe devigorate scales crazy with that. I mean it makes enemies hit me with marshmallows.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
After trying out a bunch of optimized builds, I feel like Ninja isn't as broken as I thought originally. Dying to breeze and having no real defensive options like Onmyo does with light armor is a real weakness.

I made the strongest Odachi build just now because I wanted to get proficiency to 500k (6pc Obsidian, + Moonlit Snow damage) and it feels every bit as strong as an Otakemaru anima build. Same goes for a 4pc Master Swordsman Dual Swords build. It doesn't nuke Yokai bosses as fast relatively but its way stronger vs human bosses.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So if I have gone with essentially a heavy build with Odachi and Axe, I am seeing that the proficiency towards Onmyo and Ninja are still half way towards the adept Dojo missions for the next set of skills I can get. Am I sort of shit out of luck for that? Is this why I saw a lot of people starting with magic and ninja builds first?

You can always go back and do those missions, but you honestly should have been trying to raise your Onmyo and Ninjutsu along the way naturally anyway. For Onmyo all you really need is to keep Divination Talisman up (carry 2-3 of them at all times) and they passively contribute, and for Ninjutsu you would want to just have enough capacity to carry 4-6 of the starter bombs and use them whenever you can. Onmyo goes up more if you use any of the "shots" or weapon buffs, but when capacity is limited, it's better to just carry Divination and maybe an Oasis (and 2-3 Sloth). As for the bolded, probably not. You can easily raise the skills to hit the mission requirements before they come up by just using really basic stuff and without more than 10 in either Dexterity or Magic.

Because the amount of damage you deal seems to contribute to higher gains, blowing up stuff weak vs fire like the blobs raises it faster. Then just work your way towards the Paralyzation Groundfire, and once you can hold at least 4 of them, you would use those on troublesome Yokai whenever you can, and eventually carry around 6. For low Dexterity, that's the biggest bang you can get offensively from Ninjutsu. Works on some bosses as well, although many people also favor Quick Change for bosses. Both are really useful.

After trying out a bunch of optimized builds, I feel like Ninja isn't as broken as I thought originally. Dying to breeze and having no real defensive options like Onmyo does with light armor is a real weakness.

Been saying this since day one when so many people all around were claiming Kunai = easy mode and cheese. It's really not, especially in NG and primarily wrecks bosses there and not much else. Whenever someone was struggling and asking for advice on what they should do, the typical reply was to link a video of a Kunai build, and all I could do is groan. That's not beginner friendly and those builds are mostly near the end of NG anyway. Many also claimed that Onmyo "sucks" compared to Ninjutsu, but that's only true in a sense if you're just considering raw offensive power. Onmyo has more buffs and debuffs and fits well with virtually any build, not just those that are heavily focused on magic. Ninjutsu can't really do the same in that regard.

I made the strongest Odachi build just now because I wanted to get proficiency to 500k (6pc Obsidian, + Moonlit Snow damage) and it feels every bit as strong as an Otakemaru anima build.

Yep. Next, just for the hell of it try out the Axe. It really is stupid.

Last edited:

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Wew Katsuie down. Feel like I need to optimise a bit now, is there a recommend rough guide for stats, max amounts before diminishing returns etc.?

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
I forgot to mention how better load times are in Nioh 2. I used to browse my phone with Nioh 1 all the time on loading screens!

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I fused my cores to match the same type (brute etc) as my guardian spirit, but I'm not sure what the benefit is.

There are passives you can get in the Shiftling tree that either reduce the anima cost, or return some of the anima cost if your core matches the GS type. Aside from that, some passives (I think they might be core specific, or GS specific) also give extra damage to X type cores as well, and I am assuming when you change the core type to match, it would get those buffs.

Wew Katsuie down. Feel like I need to optimise a bit now, is there a recommend rough guide for stats, max amounts before diminishing returns etc.?

If you have a flash drive, just make a backup copy of your saves and use a book of reincarnation to check when diminishing returns kick in. Off the top of my head, it's approximately every 10 - 15 levels up until 50 I think where it reaches its final drop up to 99. Both Dexterity and Magic soft cap at 30 for carrying capacity. Constitution gives 35 health per point until 10, and I think 25 per point after. I'm not sure if it drops off further. Stamina starts out at 25 health per point and gradually decreases until it stops at 15 per point. Equip load with Stamina drops to 0.1 per point at 50 and beyond.

Last edited:

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Finally, got the platinum. Overall an easy game/platinum, but finding the missing soul core(s) was a bigger pain in the ass than expected.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

I made the strongest Odachi build just now because I wanted to get proficiency to 500k (6pc Obsidian, + Moonlit Snow damage) and it feels every bit as strong as an Otakemaru anima build. Same goes for a 4pc Master Swordsman Dual Swords build. It doesn't nuke Yokai bosses as fast relatively but its way stronger vs human bosses.
Poison and Tengen Kujaku are just crazy strong for any melee build right now and then you add stuff like Honda clan and other things. Lets you be strong and have heavy armor. Ninja definitely isn't the only strong thing.

And then the most OP build of all is barehanded lol.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I just unlocked a dojo mission that requires 250k Onmyo Magic-proficiency. Only have 50k so far... what's a good place to grind it? Seems like a little excessive requirement.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Running with Divination constantly active seems to raise your Onmyo score decently. Has the added bonus of actually being a nice quality of life tool as well, and it lasts for ages.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Poison and Tengen Kujaku are just crazy strong for any melee build right now and then you add stuff like Honda clan and other things. Lets you be strong and have heavy armor. Ninja definitely isn't the only strong thing.

And then the most OP build of all is barehanded lol.

sorry for being stupid but what interaction does Tengen Kujaku have with poison builds? None of its abilities seem to have any interaction with poison?

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017

I just unlocked a dojo mission that requires 250k Onmyo Magic-proficiency. Only have 50k so far... what's a good place to grind it? Seems like a little excessive requirement.

Just always keep your weapons buffed with onmyo talismans, or if you want to really grind it out you can go to shrine three of the Vipers Sanctum after draining the poison pools and just use the explosive shot on all of the toxic slimes in the area before running back to the shrine and respawning them. Rinse and repeat you get a lot of proficiency from it.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017

You have to just use Onmyo to level it up, there isn't really a magic grind for it. If you respec to Onmyo it goes by real fast though.

sorry for being stupid but what interaction does Tengen Kujaku have with poison builds? None of its abilities seem to have any interaction with poison?

It doesn't but poison has the most consistent damage modifier in the game currently and Tengen is just ridiculous since you get 26-28% damage boost in high stance when you get amrita, which pretty much outclasses every other damage focused GS.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
You have to just use Onmyo to level it up, there isn't really a magic grind for it. If you respec to Onmyo it goes by real fast though.

It doesn't but poison has the most consistent damage modifier in the game currently and Tengen is just ridiculous since you get 26-28% damage boost in high stance when you get amrita, which pretty much outclasses every other damage focused GS.
Yeah it's not anything specific just two big sources of damage that are easy to get.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Beat it last night, give the game an 8.5 overall. Its very good and improved on some things from Nioh 1, but I also feel like it didn't fix some flaws that Nioh 1 did have. For what its worth, I scored Nioh 1 a 9.5, its my favorite action game right after Ninja Gaiden Black. Out of all the Souls-like games that I've beaten so far, I'd rate it as N1 > N2 > Demon's Souls. I'm still taking my time with all the other Souls-like games, but this is it for now.

Overall, it feels more like a really amazing expansion to N1, but it is great and definitely recommended. I just hope that the flaws don't continue to carry over into Nioh 3 (if they make it).

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally finished. Great, great game. Now, for NG+, is there something in particular I should be doing? I'm just going through and beating things again and working on my build, aka trying to find some Gunsticks

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Beat it last night, give the game an 8.5 overall. Its very good and improved on some things from Nioh 1, but I also feel like it didn't fix some flaws that Nioh 1 did have. For what its worth, I scored Nioh 1 a 9.5, its my favorite action game right after Ninja Gaiden Black. Out of all the Souls-like games that I've beaten so far, I'd rate it as N1 > N2 > Demon's Souls. I'm still taking my time with all the other Souls-like games, but this is it for now.

Overall, it feels more like a really amazing expansion to N1, but it is great and definitely recommended. I just hope that the flaws don't continue to carry over into Nioh 3 (if they make it).
From what they've said they basically just don't have enough ideas for Nioh 3 to be made at this point.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
"I think I'm gonna farm the flying kato smithing text. How bad could it be?"

*one hour later*

th

" Why do I do this to myself my god what's wrong with me"

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
"I think I'm gonna farm the flying kato smithing text. How bad could it be?"

*one hour later*

th

" Why do I do this to myself my god what's wrong with me"
Damn I got lucky. I decided to farm it last night, and got it on the third attempt. I was wearing the Kodama Bowl helmet with extra luck and item drop...

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Just finished the campaign, we'll see if I'm gonna do the plat for this game, got 54% trophies right now so. Was going to focus on FF 7 after I finished up the main missions.

Last few bosses in this game are quite the pushovers imo at least If you use magic. It took like 3-4 tries for the last boss to go down and it was probably the "hardest" one.

This game is similar to The Surge 2 in the way that the early game is super tough until you get some decent gear.

First 3 regions were like much harder for me than the last 3.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
I'm a sub-mission called "The Search", it's supposed o have 0/0 Kodamas but I've found 2 on the level so far, with the option to send them to the Shrine. Anyone knows why is this happening?

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'm a sub-mission called "The Search", it's supposed o have 0/0 Kodamas but I've found 2 on the level so far, with the option to send them to the Shrine. Anyone knows why is this happening?

The objective of that mission is actually to send the Kodama to the Shrine. 'The Search' in the title is the search for the Kodama (and a couple of Sudama).

It's a callback to a very similar mission in Nioh 1. These Kodama do not count towards the total 150 needed for the Trophy BTW.

Aranikasu44

Dec 3, 2018
I know this isnt Nioh 2 related but after some advice.

I'm nearly finishing Nioh (First game)

My friend is on the third world.

If I start NG+ can I still join him in his game?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This Kasha soul is pretty rad. Faster movement speed from Amrita absorption is off the chain. In a large fight against mobs you're just constantly fast.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I think it's Baalzebup who gave me this grinding tip, but basically just ready Divination talismans at all times, and use them when exploring/playing normally. (Recast as needed, refill when you reach a shrine and recast, etc.).

Onmyo proficiency is kind of whack, it increases when you do damage while the spell is active. So if you cast it, damage and kill a bunch of enemies, you gain proficiency points. Eventually you'll unlock the mission.

Fair warning, there's a follow-up mission later that's like, 250k points...

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's Baalzebup who gave me this grinding tip, but basically just ready Divination talismans at all times, and use them when exploring/playing normally. (Recast as needed, refill when you reach a shrine and recast, etc.).

Onmyo proficiency is kind of whack, it increases when you do damage while the spell is active. So if you cast it, damage and kill a bunch of enemies, you gain proficiency points. Eventually you'll unlock the mission.

Fair warning, there's a follow-up mission later that's like, 250k points...

That's the mission I'm talking about, in region 6 :P Haven't done even veteran onmyo-mission yet either. Thanks for the tip though about Divination Talismans. Will try that! I've been using elemental buffs (lightning, water and fire) so far. Having to grind for 200k in ninjutsu is going to be hell too :D