• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
What's a good weapon to pair with a tonfa?

Probably Spear or axe. They all scale with constitution and they can cover the tonfas' lack of reach.

Does this game have a story? I created then it threw me into a tutorial then instantly to a map. It was a bit jarring lol.

It does. It's basically a fantastical retelling of the unification of Japan under Oda Nobunaga in the late 16th century, but unless you are versed in Japanese history it'll just seem like a bunch of cutscenes thrown together after you kill bosses.

You don't really play Nioh for the story.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
What's that side mission where you touch the little cat dude and it's starts a yokai rush?

Oct 3, 2019
I just experienced something super weird. I was doing the first bathhouse mission and couldn't remember where the last tile was. I had explored and cleared everything I could, so I decided to pop a yokai incense and run around to see if I could pull an enemy hiding somewhere. After five seconds or so the screen faded to black and I was teleported to the gauntlet room behind the locked door and finished the mission like normal.

I don't know if it was the yokai incense or if an enemy glitched out of bounds and the game decided to teleport me inside but it was pretty strange, never seen anything like that.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
So the only trophies for me to get are the soul cores and tea utensils...
For the cores i have the mortal ones missing as well as the maelstrom and thunderstorm one...
Ideas on how to grind them best?

Oct 3, 2019
I'm struggling with the Enki in the Yokai Realm in the first mission. How do I beat this thing?

The weak point is their horn, if you break it their ki will be severely reduced and when it's drained they can be staggered. Overhead attacks are good for hitting it. Bait out their spear throw because the recovery from it gives you a good window. If you're in the dark realm use sacred water or barrier talismans to negate the ki debuff.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
Any idea when the first DLC will drop? I'm not too familiar with Nioh 1 and it's release schedule.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I'm struggling with the Enki in the Yokai Realm in the first mission. How do I beat this thing?
You can block just about everything they do. They don't chew through your ki like many other yokai. The one exception is burst attacks, which you can burst counter or just step back and watch them flail around.

They have a common 3 hit combo where the last one is a stab. Easy to dodge behind them and punish. Similarly the jump+throw is pretty easy to dodge and punish.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Retiring the Iai Quickdraw build. Para into Iai is so boring and I'd rather play Ninja if I'm playing katana. Ninja is broken but it's fun.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Retiring the Iai Quickdraw build. Para into Iai is so boring and I'd rather play Ninja if I'm playing katana. Ninja is broken but it's fun.

yeah, para feels like such a gimmick. Switch to melee damage vs poisoned though. Feels really good and can proc poison on most things with one poison shuriken and stacking poison accumulation effects.

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a guide that shows what enemy weaknesses and strengths are? Or a way to find in game? Like weak to lightning, resistant to water, etc.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
dhwkipW.jpg

Got the platinum! Farming skills was a real chore, but thankfully the patch probably made it a lot more bearable. Took me about 80 hours in total, 65 for main story and 15 for the cleanup.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
How many Twilight Missions are there? I think I played 8, but there's an in-game title for clearing 10 of them. (I know you can just repeat them, but it feels odd)

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm having a way harder time with this game than Nioh, I don't know what it is. It does feel like your yokai gauge or whatever fills up slower than the first one and you have less Ki but idk. I still have no idea what I'm doing with soul cores, I just put in the highest level ones it lets me. I'm finding it hard to parry the red attacks with the burst attack, it's hard to get it off quick enough and half the time you're not close enough to use it (I'm using Brute, dunno how to change it or if I even should).

I just finished the first world today and it kicked my ass way more than the first game did at this point

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I'm having a way harder time with this game than Nioh, I don't know what it is. It does feel like your yokai gauge or whatever fills up slower than the first one and you have less Ki but idk. I still have no idea what I'm doing with soul cores, I just put in the highest level ones it lets me. I'm finding it hard to parry the red attacks with the burst attack, it's hard to get it off quick enough and half the time you're not close enough to use it (I'm using Brute, dunno how to change it or if I even should).

I just finished the first world today and it kicked my ass way more than the first game did at this point
as you level up its gets easier

R2 + O makes every enemy easier. The more you play it you will anticipate those red attacks so much faster. I was the same as you. I was getting my ass kicked for the first 10 hours.

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
So the only trophies for me to get are the soul cores and tea utensils...
For the cores i have the mortal ones missing as well as the maelstrom and thunderstorm one...
Ideas on how to grind them best?

There's a side quest called Abduction in region three I think, there's a lamp in the courtyard that spawn the Oni Bi's. Its random which one spawns but you can grind out the yellow ones pretty easy by being patient just don't destroy the lamps that spawn it. It's got a low drop rate so stack some soul core drop rate gear, such as kodama bowls and guardian spirits that give you drop rate up (the snake spirit does this.)

For the mortal cores it's similar, just grind human bosses and sub bosses, I would recommend the main mission Corpses and Ice as there's three sub bosses that are all human, or you could try the last main mission where you fight the seven different spear samurai. You need one of every color.

For the tea utensils it's just a matter of time, stack the drop rate for the utensils in the hut and grab the whale spirit. I'm currently doing this on NG+.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
as you level up its gets easier

R2 + O makes every enemy easier. The more you play it you will anticipate those red attacks so much faster. I was the same as you. I was getting my ass kicked for the first 10 hours.
Should I be using a different burst counter? The one I use you do it before the attack animation, I think the others it's kind of like a parry? Do burst counters help at all outside of the red attacks?

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Do you have to have all the Soul Core types in your possession for the trophy to unlock? I think I used some for Soul Fusion and Resting Rites on others.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Should I be using a different burst counter? The one I use you do it before the attack animation, I think the others it's kind of like a parry? Do burst counters help at all outside of the red attacks?
yeah
a ton

you should get used to filling up that bottom meter and using R2+O for not only parry of their attacks but to help stun them while you attack them.

for example while I attack with the axe ill throw in one of those R2+O into my attack and it hurts them extra hard

I use brute with a heavy attack weapons. I haven't used anything but brute. I imagine the others work differently I just haven't tried them.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
yeah
a ton

you should get used to filling up that bottom meter and using R2+O for not only parry of their attacks but to help stun them while you attack them.

for example while I attack with the axe ill throw in one of those R2+O into my attack and it hurts them extra hard
Oh damn good advice, the only time I've used it is during the red attacks. I already have the ki pulse with the sword so I figured it wouldn't be helpful.

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
Do you have to have all the Soul Core types in your possession for the trophy to unlock? I think I used some for Soul Fusion and Resting Rites on others.

I'm pretty sure you don't, I got the trophy even though I'd accidentally used resting rites on a Kappa core, it just makes it harder to track what ones are left as it only tells you what soul cores you currently have in your inventory.

Oct 25, 2017
i keep dippping back into this between games. just finished the first area in region 2, finally. was stuck at the shrine with the bird guy -- whose name is escaping me and I'm goign to slap my forehead when i hear it -- for ages because I kept dipping out and into the game and losing my rhythm. that, and I insisted on going *inside* the mountain rather than around it directly to the next checkpoint. turns out i'd cleared out the rest of the area without realising it, i just needed to book it for the dark area and kill the cyclops.

really fun game, it's a great way to take my mind off things for an hour or two.

now if only I had a damn kodama sensor. i want all the damn sensors. (the divination spell is awesome for that reason!)

also, i finally got a phantom spirit, and I think I prefer the pure guard counter versus the dodge. I pretty much always use the dodge as a counter anyway, so this feels more natural.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Oh damn good advice, the only time I've used it is during the red attacks. I already have the ki pulse with the sword so I figured it wouldn't be helpful.
it really helps to stun enemies with R2+O that are close to being stunned. it pushes them to be stunned.

ive been playing like that since I figured it out.

you just gotta pay attention to your stamina and keep hitting the ki pulse after you beat up on an enemy

there are so many skills that make the game easier as you get skill points

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
yeah
a ton

I use brute with a heavy attack weapons. I haven't used anything but brute. I imagine the others work differently I just haven't tried them.

You can also use burst counters (as well as Yokai Skills) to cancel out of your attack animations.

And because they don't use any Ki, they can work in a pinch if you are staggered and waiting for your Ki to regen.

Oct 25, 2017
I find myself continually coming back to the axe despite trying to mix it up a bit. I feel like I don't have a grip on many of a unlockable attacks and buffs and such, but I'm still reasonably effective with the standard quick combos + yokai attacks

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason why all my tea utensils are damaged and get tossed? I've ordered all my current utensils in which my eccentricity is at its highest.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a reason why all my tea utensils are damaged and get tossed? I've ordered all my current utensils in which my eccentricity is at its highest.

Most of the ones you find are just plain junk. They still count towards the 50 you need for the trophy and/or related prestige titles.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Toshiee's Abacus is a really nice secondary accesory to equip with yasakani if you don't need anything specific. It gives you the 2 piece bonus of master of spears which is 90% more movement speed for a bit after killing something.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Brute is stun/attack
Feral is parry/dodge
Phantom is parry/block

Brute is amazing against slow starting bursts that leave enough time to smack them. Phantom is probably the easiest in general because you can miss the parry timing and still block the attack.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Brute is stun/attack
Feral is parry/dodge
Phantom is parry/block

Brute is amazing against slow starting bursts that leave enough time to smack them. Phantom is probably the easiest in general because you can miss the parry timing and still block the attack.
Is there an easy way to switch between them or can you only do it at shrines?

Oct 27, 2017
So before each boss fight I see the people I summon use the same magic buffs prior to the fight but I'm confused what the best buffs are as a magic build. Rejuvenation talisman, protection talisman...then I'm lost. Any help would be appreciated.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Is there an easy way to switch between them or can you only do it at shrines?

Prayer shrines are where you swap out your Guardian Spirit. But if you progress in the story, you'll eventually be able to equip two Spirits as once and then swap between the first and second with a button combo. And yes, you'll be able to equip soul cores on both. I usually ran with a Phantom and Brute. I never liked the Feral Burst Counter.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Prayer shrines are where you swap out your Guardian Spirit. But if you progress in the story, you'll eventually be able to equip two Spirits as once and then swap between the first and second with a button combo. And yes, you'll be able to equip soul cores on both.
WHAAAAT that sounds amazing!