• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Finally arrived home and started properly playing this. Surprised they gave us yet another new area.

The Switchglaive seems a little better? but I need to try it more.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I so wish I could downvote.
Just a fact. I didn't say the game is bad.

This statement is basically meaningless and almost always comes without any kind of qualification. Can we stop with this unless you actually back it up with some reasons?

Nioh 2 looks like a full sequel with a lot of stuff I'm excited for, and I'm sure even more content and features that we won't discover until the official release. I'm already quite excited for what we've seen in these trials. It's weird to me that Nioh seems to be singled out for this "not a true/full sequel" rhetoric. I don't really see it for other sequels.
You know there's a problem when people dont know if they are watching Nioh or Nioh 2 gameplay. Again, I'm not saying the game is bad.

That's like saying Dark Souls 2 is Dark Souls 1.5, and Dark Souls 3 is Dark Souls 2.5.

Nioh had better combat than the Souls games, and Nioh 2 already feels like a better game than Nioh 1. The character creator is amazing and doesn't have garbage presets like other games do. Also loving the enemy variety.
You could say that about the Souls games.
As always, we are talking about Nioh, and there's always someone to talk about FromSoftware games, amazing.

Hmm I though that way too.

However, I played 1 for 30 hours this year and jumped into the trial and I think the amount of changes make it not even close.
If you didn't have 1's DLC, there is almost double the weapons.
A whole new Yokai move set.
A complete and extensive character creator that even include the yokai form.
World and gameplay changes like yokai realm.
Changes to the skills tree for every weapon and tree even the old ones.

If this is 1.5, then most other games sequels are 1.1
It just feel like it's a 1.5 with more content (like new tools that I dont use because it's kinda useless for me). I'm sure the game is good tho!

It's not a bad thing at all lol.
More of a great thing is bad?
Yeah, why would people want a real sequel instead of a "big expansion", lol.

So it's 1.5 times better than the first? Good enough for me!
I think it is!

But no one cares because we have a scythe now, and that's all we really needed.
One weapon for $60 is fair enough, I guess.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As always, we are talking about Nioh, and there's always someone to talk about FromSoftware games, amazing.
Considering the popularity of the Souls games and the game in your avatar being developed by them, I'd say it's fair to bring them up. I wonder if you've ever given those games that same criticism, because I bet you haven't. Your contribution to this thread calling this Nioh 1.5 brought this on to yourself. It was a dumb thing to say. It's literally Nioh 2.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, let's cut it out with this. Just because it graphics wise looks like it's prequel it doesn't mean it's the same. In all the years gaming has a lot of sequels looks the same as their prequels. And let's don't bring other franchises to make a war out of something that it doesn't deserve it, I dunno why we have to make wars of shit vs shit out of our discussions here.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
As always you bring up FromSoftware games in defense of calling it Nioh 1.5 according to your posts in the Nioh 2 preview thread.
Lol, I didn't but nice try I guess (someone talked about FS games and I just said to dont compare them).

Considering the popularity of the Souls games and the game in your avatar being developed by them, I'd say it's fair to bring them up. I wonder if you've ever given those games that same criticism, because I bet you haven't. Your contribution to this thread calling this Nioh 1.5 brought this on to yourself. It was a dumb thing to say. It's literally Nioh 2.
I should have upload a Megaman avatar, would been better. You wonder and then bet... I am, don't worry about that. I just said it's Nioh 1.5 and didn't think it would affect that many people tbh. It's not like my opinion matters, or is unique.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I didn't but nice try I guess (someone talked about FS games and I just said to dont compare them).

I should have upload a Megaman avatar, would been better. You wonder and then bet... I am, don't worry about that. I just said it's Nioh 1.5 and didn't think it would affect that many people tbh. It's not like my opinion is important, or unique.
FromSoftware fans are usually less insecure than this, so maybe you should learn from them.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
People keep saying Nioh 1.5 as if it was a bad thing lol.
It's not even really true considering all the changes and additions.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is amazing. Feels really good with paddles too. I did [X/R1] as I find shoulder buttons a little annoying for constant use. Also swapped L1 and L2 in the OS. Just feels way more comfortable to block with L2 and bow is fine on L1.

All these Souls comparisons...I will say it's much easier to fight enemies you aren't locked onto in Souls games. I whiff a lot here, and they easily dodge my attacks. It's comical and makes me feel like a bad samurai. lol

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
People keep saying Nioh 1.5 as if it was a bad thing lol.
It's not even really true considering all the changes and additions.

It's because it's not some huge graphical overhaul that some folks need to call it a sequel. Gotta love the graphical overhaul the Dark Souls 2 had, oh wait, it didn't. It looked worse.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad you repeated it for emphasis and confirmation, I guess? You weren't called out by multiple people for no reason, you know. Try to contribute something that isn't some worthless "1.5" comment, because that never ends well for anybody and it makes you look like you have no idea what you're talking about.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
The whole not a real sequel thing is a weirdass double standard that I don't see for a ton of other games with similar iterative approach.
CoD, Pokemon respective to each console cycle, Dark Souls, Guacamelee 2, Etrian Odyssey, etc etc etc.

It's just a weirdass argument to make vs just simply saying nioh 1 gave so much content that more nioh isn't appealing enough right now or something similar.
Like if I just finished Nioh 1 like a few months to a year ago I'd be like I'm good too. But for me it's been close to ~3 years, I'm ready for more nioh.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Glad you repeated it for emphasis and confirmation, I guess? You weren't called out by multiple people for no reason, you know. Try to contribute something that isn't some worthless "1.5" comment, because that never ends well for anybody and it makes you look like you have no idea what you're talking about.
Chill, just made me laugh, nothing serious my man.

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
This game is hard, full of enemies that look like mini-bosses, one after another. Not sure if I wanna force myself to do this once again.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole not a real sequel thing is a weirdass double standard that I don't see for a ton of other games with similar iterative approach.
CoD, Pokemon respective to each console cycle, Dark Souls, Guacamelee 2, Etrian Odyssey, etc etc etc.

It's just a weirdass argument to make vs just simply saying nioh 1 gave so much content that more nioh isn't appealing enough right now or something similar.
Like if I just finished Nioh 1 like a few months to a year ago I'd be like I'm good too. But for me it's been close to ~3 years, I'm ready for more nioh.
Facts. Just makes it easier for me to put people on ignore lol.

This game is hard, full of enemies that look like mini-bosses, one after another. Not sure if I wanna force myself to do this once again.
That's usually what attracts me to these types of games. I wonder if this one will get easier like the first one did, or harder. I actually felt that the first one wasn't too bad if you eventually unlocked the right stuff (Sloth/Weakness/Carnage). They were even nerfed because of it.

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
Facts.

That's usually what attracts me to these types of games. I wonder if this one will get easier like the first one did, or harder. I actually felt that the first one wasn't too bad if you eventually unlocked the right stuff (Sloth/Weakness/Carnage). They were even nerfed because of it.

The first one for was a little challenging at the beginning, but once you level up and find a good gear, it becomes quite "easy". But this one is too crowded of enemies, I'm getting older and my tolerance to die over and over again is getting smaller :D

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
No one talked about graphic lol.

Nioh 2 Preview Thread

It's nice that they copied a few minor elements but that doesn't make it any less of a loothunt game. Saying it even comes close to the polish of Dark Souls or Sekiro is laughable. All those elements add up to a very similar experience at the core. The game is nothing like Diablo save the...

That was your response to what Blade Wolf posted. What else could it mean, then? Because Nioh 2 has introduced more new game play mechanics in the sequel than the Dark Souls sequels ever did.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Finished and mostly enjoyed Nioh 1 (though it got tiring near the end with repetitive enemies and boss fights), and even though there are some big additions to Nioh 2, in the moment-to-moment action it just looks and feels almost exactly like Nioh 1. Reminds me of when I finished Borderlands 1 and then played Borderlands 2; even with the three year gap between releases, the exhaustion I had from beating the first game still carries over into the second. I have my $80 deluxe edition fully paid but I might now wait for a sale.

I'm glad big Nioh fans get what they want in this sequel and additions are majorly significant to them, but even the new weapons and devil trigger mode seem like flavoring around a gameplay loop that feels unchanged.

EDIT: I think what makes a Dark Souls sequel feel more bombastic and unique to its predecessor , even if it doesn't have as many raw gameplay changes or additions, is that the entire tempo and atmosphere feels different. All of the Souls games are artistically very distinct, the UI and interfaces are all new, the animations are completely new and redone, and the way a Souls game's presentation is handled, along with its pacing, makes even derivative or similar boss fights/environments feel momentous and memorable. Even though there's new enemies and areas, Nioh 2 just kind of feels like I'm cutting my way through a randomly generated dungeon in Diablo 3; the monotonous pacing and the uninteresting encounter design makes the new additions feel so disposable. New mobs barely stand out because of it. The last thing I wanted from my introduction to Nioh 2 was to walk up to another clueless bandit mook who's crouching over a corpse, kill him in 5 hits, and then see the thousandth yokai realm mini boss spawn point around the corner.

Last edited:

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else maybe played but now entirely skipping Nioh1 and going straight into Nioh2?

I put about 50hrs into the first one but eventually got burned out and honestly, don't want to go back

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Finished and mostly enjoyed Nioh 1 (though it got tiring near the end with repetitive enemies and boss fights), and even though there are some big additions to Nioh 2, in the moment-to-moment action it just looks and feels almost exactly like Nioh 1. Reminds me of when I finished Borderlands 1 and then played Borderlands 2; even with the three year gap between releases, the exhaustion I had from beating the first game still carries over into the second. I have my $80 deluxe edition fully paid but I might now wait for a sale.

I'm glad big Nioh fans get what they want in this sequel and additions are majorly significant to them, but even the new weapons and devil trigger mode seem like flavoring around a gameplay loop that feels unchanged.

EDIT: I think what makes a Dark Souls sequel feel more bombastic and unique to its predecessor , even if it doesn't have as many raw gameplay changes or additions, is that the entire tempo and atmosphere feels different. All of the Souls games are artistically very distinct, the UI and interfaces are all new, the animations are completely new and redone, and the way a Souls game's presentation is handled, along with its pacing, makes even derivative or similar boss fights/environments feel momentous and memorable. Even though there's new enemies and areas, Nioh 2 just kind of feels like I'm cutting my way through a randomly generated dungeon in Diablo 3; the monotonous pacing and the uninteresting encounter design makes the new additions feel so disposable. New mobs barely stand out because of it. The last thing I wanted from my introduction to Nioh 2 was to walk up to another clueless bandit mook who's crouching over a corpse, kill him in 5 hits, and then see the thousandth yokai realm mini boss spawn point around the corner.
Well Nioh is a diablo like after all.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I know it won't happen but Team Ninja really have to chill with putting archers. It's been a problem since Ninja Gaiden.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
The first one for was a little challenging at the beginning, but once you level up and find a good gear, it becomes quite "easy". But this one is too crowded of enemies, I'm getting older and my tolerance to die over and over again is getting smaller :D
I understand you. That's I why I won't buy it even though I liked the first one. Too old for this shit. Didn't buy Dark Souls 3 either.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I understand you. That's I why I won't buy it even though I liked the first one. Too old for this shit. Didn't buy Dark Souls 3 either.
For me, it's not the dying, it's the fact I'm not progressing. I don't have time to waste on one game. I have access to a bajillion good games at any time. I have like 20-30 hours a week to play if that.

Keep calm and Nioh

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Guys, chill out.

a) It's OK to find the beta disappointing or underwhelming, and I say this as a huge Nioh fan myself. No need to get testy because someone didn't care for it.

b) On the other hand, if you are unimpressed... maybe don't go out of your way to make provocative drive-bys and then feign surprise when people challenge you, eh?

Don't be a nuisance to others, but don't overreact either. Let's be cool, y'all!

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Wow I am really getting my teeth kicked in by this game. The Yokai do not fuck around, this is significantly harder than the first game...

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Wow I am really getting my teeth kicked in by this game. The Yokai do not fuck around, this is significantly harder than the first game...
Kind of, but you got more tools as well.
That said, it's easier than the previous beta. Outside of the boss, but it seems to be a mid-game one.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
The burst counter system is so much fun.

I've started over again with the tonfas and I'm really crushing it. Maybe they'll be my main this for this game.

I feel like the lighting is better. The environment and characters just look a lot better in the first level than I remember the original game looking.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Any tips for the Snake Demons? They seem pretty tough for common enemies in the first area :v
Counter when you can. You can block most attacks without any issues, the snake is just fast, and will go down quickly as long as you don't get too greedy.
They're actually one of the easiest big yokais in this level.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I was just expecting something more ambitious. Again, I'm not saying the game is bad.

Like what though? People keep saying this but don't provide examples of how ambitious.

Dark Souls 1,2 and 3 are some of the best games of all time, but what was so ambitious about the sequels compared to the first games? When you look at it, they were very incremental sequels that sort to polish what made Dark Souls 1 so great rather than fundamentally change it.

You're entitled to your opinion though, of course. I just disagree strongly.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Anyone else maybe played but now entirely skipping Nioh1 and going straight into Nioh2?

I put about 50hrs into the first one but eventually got burned out and honestly, don't want to go back

That's me. Not to mention the fact that I like pretty much all the changes more (Not a mega fan of the Yokai mode, but Yokai abilities easily replace Living Weapon for me), so other than a brief resurgence in interest after the first Alpha to get a better hang of the controls again, I haven't bothered withthe first one anymore.

It helps that I never even got to the DLC, so stuff like the Tonfa is wholly new to me. It wasn't until these threads that I found out that they were added in the DLCs for the first game.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just downloading this. The German PS Store calls Nioh a "Masocore" game. That's the very first time I heard/saw this term used. I guess that's supposed to be a compound of masochistic and hardcore?
Just checked Google and it's actually a thing, especially in the 80s and 90s. Huh, I never really heard that term. I guess now I will suddenly hear and see that term everywhere due to the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon, lol.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I was 25+ hours in and going strong, but jumped at an opportunity to get a Switch and got sucked into BOTW for several weeks. By the time I tried to come back to Nioh later in the year, I'd lost my mojo and wasn't inspired enough by the world/RPG side of things to pick it dive back in, especially with so many other things to play. The Combat left an impression, though. I've reinstalled it a couple times to dick around.